Abomasnow, Winning Here, Winning There (Peaked #71 + Climbing)

Introduction

Hey everyone, Mikey here. I've been using this team since UU started, and it's been doing pretty well, I broke Top 71, and won 2 UU tournys with it. As I started UU, I noticed that Sun was literally on most teams, with Victini being on almost every team. I thought to myself, how could I beat Sun, without using it also? I decided this Hail team would be the team to take Sun down, but obviously it requires some good prediction skill and in rare cases, luck.

I also think this team has some flaws. I've been noticing that Arcanine isn't exactly doing much except for absorbing Fire attacks for me, which is nice, but I need something that can do more than that. Also, I feel like Donphan could have a better EV spread, but I have no clue what it should be.

This is the final result for the team however, after numerous edits, such as replacing Mamoswine, changing EV's here and there, and even movesets. However, I'd love suggestions, so don't be afraid to give them, I want this team to be as good as it could be.

Overview:

A Deeper Look:​

*ANY CHANGES I MAKE ARE IN ITALICS!!*​

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Blizzard
- Focus Punch
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

What would a Hail team be without setting up Hail itself? Abomasnow does this, and actually is useful (yeah Vulpix, you suck). I decided Hail would suit me well because I hate just seeing Sun teams, and wanted to just destroy them. Victini irks me that much. Anyway, Abomasnow also sports a Ice/Grass dual typing. What does that mean for my team? Well, more Fire weakness, yay! Nah seriously, I like how it resists...something I can't think of. But Ice and Hail setter-upper makes Blizzard 100% accurate as well as fun.

I wanted Abomasnow to be a bulky Sub Puncher, and that's why the EV spread is on the bulky side. It takes some special hits with a sub up, and it doesn't break. This includes an unboosted Shadow Ball from Mismagius, and status inducing moves like Wisp and Toxic, which it hates. So for the moveset, obviously Substitute is there. Next, Blizzard is for obvious Hail abuse, and with 100% accuracy and 120 base power, why not? Focus Punch is there to hit Chansey and at least damage Milotic, Empoleon, Registeel, and so on. I know that Focus Punch isn't the best, but it packs a "punch!" Finally, Leech Seed is there for a bit more recovery aside from Lefties, and adds to HP drain of opponent with Hail and maybe Toxic (keep reading!) It also forces switches.

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Okay, okay, I know Kyurem is on most UU teams now, and it's obvious why, but c'mon, with my Hail team, Kyurem loves to abuse his Blizzard STAB. Kyurem loves to just sweep teams, as he has done numerous times, even hitting specially defensive threats like Chansey hard with Focus Blast. Well, whatever gets me a win right? Anywhoo, Kyurem serves as my main special attacker, abusing two powerful STABS of Ice and Dragon. Dragon is especially deadly in UU because there aren't many reliable Steel types to fall back on, especially to take a Draco Meteor.

Anyway, Timid and Specs. I wanted it to outrun as much as possible, and to still hit the opponent hard, which is why Specs is there. Specs is the reason IMHO that Kyurem is so deadly, even without Shell Smash Pass. Sure it locks you into one move, but it basically guarantees you a kill in the long run. The moveset is fairly dull, but it's reliable. Blizzard is to abuse Hail and the most powerful Ice attack, Draco Meteor is to fall back on its secondary typing to ruin basically anything barring Chansey and Steels, Ice Beam just in case Hail gets taken away, but to still abuse Ice STAB, and finally Focus Blast to hit said pesky Steels as well as Chansey.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Donphan is up next. He was one of the last additions to the team actually. I realized I needed a spinner, but first tested Hitmontop. Although Intimidate was nice, I realized Donphan takes physical hits a lot better, and also sets up Stealth Rock for me. Well, it was 2 for 1, so I took advantage. Donphan serves as my spinner, SR setter, and physical wall of sorts. He can at least take Close Combats and hit back, which I enjoy, as well as my team. Oh, and he's the one Pokemon that doesn't get raped by Stone Edge attacks, or anything to do with Rock. Yay!

Okay, so this EV spread is weird, but it was given to me by Mr. L. I wanted something that was very bulky, and this was the result. Impish over Adamant due to me wanting it to take hits better. Leftovers is there to negate Hail damage, and make me not die. Yay for not dying. Anywhoo, moveset. Earthquake is there for STAB, and to hit stupid Fire types (Houndoom, Victini, etc.), Stone Edge for something reliable to hit Mismagius, Zapdos, yeah, Stealth Rock to damage opposing team on switch and racks up damage with Hail, and Rapid Spin to make my Stealth Rock team less afraid to switch.

Weavile (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
- Night Slash

Ahh Weavile, so overlooked in 4th Gen, and also in 5th Gen. I saw it was UU, and I was running Hail, so why not use Weavile also? Sure, Hail isn't helping it, but it's not hurting it either, right? I mean Hail is nice to rack up damage and ultimately help Weavile kill stuff, but I dunno. Weavile is also here over Mamoswine, because I just like how fast it is, and how Band makes it even more deadly. Also, Weavile outruns all Sun threats in Hail, and mostly OHKO's them.

Jolly is there for max speed, and Band to boost its power. I figure maybe Life Orb would be better, but if I can't Spin away SR, why risk 10% health loss every attack I land? I mean suggestions on this would be nice, but I feel Band is doing it justice.

Anyway, moveset's simple. Night Slash over Pursuit for raw power and more STAB abuse, Ice Punch to kill Sawsbuck and STAB abuse, Ice Shard for revenge kills and a guarantee most things are going to die that turn, and Low Kick to put a dent in Empoleon, Registeel, and so on.

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Dragon Tail
- Recover
- Toxic

Milotic is Pokemon #5. Since it was released in Ruby/Sapphire, I loved Milotic, it's just such a cool Pokemon. I really liked how it was such a pain in the ass to get, but when you did, it was awesome. Easily my favorite Water type in Pokemon. But back to Gen 5. I saw it was UU, and immediately threw it in Team Abomasnow. It is one Fire resistant Pokemon and it takes them like a boss. Victini in Hail fails to 2HKO Milotic (at least from what I've experienced).

Milotic is just a bulky version, I want it to be alive as long as possible, hence Leftovers. This EV spread was suggested by Mr. L on Smogon server, and it's strangely been working for me, so no complaints. Moveset time now. Scald is there to maybe score a burn, and to at least abuse STAB. Dragon Tail switches their Pokemon out, which also racks up Stealth Rock damage. Recover is so it actually lives a while, and Toxic wears down the opponent's team slowly but surely, and helps Abomasnow abuse Substitute.

Arcanine (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Close Combat
- Wild Charge

Arcanine is the last Pokemon of Team Abomasnow. Obviously you were thinking, "with all those Ice types, wouldn't Fire just rape him every day of the week?" Well that's a great thought. Yes, I do also have Milotic to take Fire attacks, but what if that goes down? I still need a plan B. Thankfully Arcanine has Flash Fire, because it just takes the Fire like a boss, and even taking the attacks gives Arcanine's Flare Blitz a boost. It's a win win, bi-winning if you will.

Obviously the spread is used to abuse Arcanine's power, and still outrun a few things in the midst. I went with Adamant because I couldn't think of anything significant I'd outrun with Jolly. Choice Band's there to maybe score a revenge kill with Extremespeed, and just outright make him powerful. Close Combat kills Chansey and other Ice types, Wild Bolt gets Milotic and Suicune, and yeah, that's about it.

Anyway, I honestly am not happy with this Arcanine. Sure, it packs a punch, and if Flash Fire activates, you know something's dying to Flare Blitz. I am just not liking how fragile Arcanine is. I've been seeing people using a more bulky Arcanine with Toxic and stuff, but I don't know if that defeats the purpose of using Milotic also. Suggestions here would be awesome.

Final Words:​
Well, I'm proud of this team, it was my first 5th gen UU team, and it performed, and still is performing well as intended. Of course it has its flaws, every team does, but I try to work around them and still win in the end. Thankfully, most times I do win, which is nice. As I've said, I feel Arcanine is the weakest link of this team, but I still need something to absorb Fire attacks for me. Suggestions will probably be to abuse Victini, but I will not, I'm using Kyurem, I don't want to just use the main threats of UU, it's fun to at least use a team that you actually want to use.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoyed reading this, and feel free to give any edits at all, I'd be glad to take them into consideration and test them. As I've said, no team is perfect, but I'd like this one to get pretty damn close to that, who wouldn't want their team to?

Final Glance:

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Interesting team. I would use HP Fire over Focus Miss for Kyurem- I've experienced a lot of Escaliviers switching into Draco Meteors or Blizzards, but HP Fire could take them out.

If you're not too happy with CBnine, a bulkier set would help out a lot. I think most sets run something like Flare Blitz/Extremespeed/Morning Sun (not too useful in hail and either Toxic or WoW. Would that defeat the purpose of using Milotic? I don't think so, because with all of these Victinis, Kyurems and Heracrosses running around, it's good to have a few bulky Pokemon to rely on.

There's also Houndoom to consider if you want another Flash Fire mon, but he is incredibly frail.

Interesting team. I would use HP Fire over Focus Miss for Kyurem- I've experienced a lot of Escaliviers switching into Draco Meteors or Blizzards, but HP Fire could take them out.

If you're not too happy with CBnine, a bulkier set would help out a lot. I think most sets run something like Flare Blitz/Extremespeed/Morning Sun (not too useful in hail and either Toxic or WoW. Would that defeat the purpose of using Milotic? I don't think so, because with all of these Victinis, Kyurems and Heracrosses running around, it's good to have a few bulky Pokemon to rely on.

There's also Houndoom to consider if you want another Flash Fire mon, but he is incredibly frail.
Yeah kinda tempted to try out a bulky Arcanine, any suggestions on an EV spread?

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty horrible at EVs so don't take advise from me, but according to this UU Arcanine discussion thread, bulky Arcanines usually go something like:

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 72 SDef / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Crunch / Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic

So yeah, Morning Sun probably won't be too useful unless you are seeing a lot of Sun teams. Personally, I would use max HP / max Defense, since I don't see what the SpD EVs do. If Victini is being a douche, use Flash Fire, otherwise Intimidate works.

on Kyurem, it may be wise to pack both HP Fire and Focus Miss (as much as I detest having to run that on any set); while HP Fire will roast Escavalier to a delicious golden brown, Empoleon will laugh in your face if you don't run Focus Blast. In particular, any Empoleon carrying Flash Cannon (I realize this is relatively rare) will almost certainly 2HKO you. While Ice Beam's reliability is nice, since you are running Abomasnow you should be able to count on the presence of hail most of the time.

On Weavile, you may be able to get away with running Adamant, as 125 base Speed is absurd in UU and not a lot of things will be outspeeding you. Most of the things that will get a jump on Weavile speed-wise are Chlorophyll users, and even if Sun is up, Ice Shard will hit for SE. On top of that, a Choiced STAB Ice Shard can do a lot of damage even to things that resist it.

Overall, this looks like a really solid team Mikey. I had been experimenting with a similar core group of Hail abusers, Abomasnow, Kyurem, and Weavile. I had also tried Hitmontop with them and found him to be lacking. This looks like it has a lot of potential and I may have to try it out myself.

Limewire- Yeah, I'm really feeling that bulky Arcanine would be better, Flamethrower / Extremespeed / Will-o-Wisp / Morning Sun, although I'll see what other people suggest, because I've never ran a bulky Arcanine in any tier, or any generation, at all. Thanks for the help man.

Phox- Yeah man feel free to test it. And yeah I already replaced Ice Beam for HP: Fire, should have changed that here lol. I mean yeah also, Weavile may get away with Adamant, and more power is always nice, but I won't be able to outrun Cobalion or Sceptile. I guess I'll test it though, thanks. Also, thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you like the team.

I'm pretty sure i played this team on PO tonight. It was good but I still won! :) i was the guy running a crustle lead, knock off tangrowth, bulky arcanine, milotic, scarf nidoking, and raikou or spiritomb. Id imagine youd remember that kind of team.
I run a bulky attacker arcanine w/ the same moveset proposed (ES, flare blitz, wow, morning sun) but 248 hp/252 atk/8 def or spdef, adamant. Morning sun and intimidate or flash fire make him a great sun check but i can see morning sun would be inefficient running hail.

I'm pretty sure i played this team on PO tonight. It was good but I still won! :) i was the guy running a crustle lead, knock off tangrowth, bulky arcanine, milotic, scarf nidoking, and raikou or spiritomb. Id imagine youd remember that kind of team.
I run a bulky attacker arcanine w/ the same moveset proposed (ES, flare blitz, wow, morning sun) but 248 hp/252 atk/8 def or spdef, adamant. Morning sun and intimidate or flash fire make him a great sun check but i can see morning sun would be inefficient running hail.
lol if you played it then it wasn't me, never played anyone tonight with a Crustle lead. Sorry to burst that bubble lol. And yeah I'm really considering a bulky Arcanine.

I found the kid that had my team also lol, I beat him. Yeah obviously you won, he had no idea how to use the team.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Cool offensive synergy, but you have four SR weak pokemon and ghost types are much more common then you think. If you can't spin (and against a proper stall team running Dusclops/Cofagrigus you won't) then you're up shit creek. I'd usually try and replace Arcanine but tbh he's one of your best answers to sun, as is Weavile (Ice shard chlorophyllers) so I don't really know who to suggest. All I know is that almost every time you switch out you potentially be -25 % hp, and that's not to mention having to switch out of Specs DM, or being choice locked etc.

just puttin it out there, a good hail sweeper...Beartic with snow cloak
Beartic @Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
-Substitute
-Hone Claws/Bulk Up
-Icicle Crash
-Earthquake/Stone Edge/ Super Power
252 Hp, 252 Att., 6 Speed

Stallion is right though, Stealth Rocks are a huge pain to you. You could try running Odor Sleuth on Donphan so he can spin against Ghost types.

So I did do some testing with your team, and I don't know if you're still dissatisfied with Arcanine, but I definitely thought he wasn't doing too much for me, either. I started running Dugtrio instead; this actually worked out really well as Dugtrio can drap and KO most things that can withstand Kyurem, so once Dugtrio has done its dirty work and gotten rid of things like Registeel and Blissey, Kyurem can run wild with Blizzard spam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)