Pokémon Absol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any good teammates for absol? I was thinking Aegislash as it can take fairy and fighting types on and force a switch. Also Gliscor that can pass subs seeing how frail absol is

I've been running this as a late game sweeper set

252 atk / 252 spe / 4 HP
Jolly

Play Rough / Night Slash
Sucker Punch
Swords Dance
Substitute

I know sub seems not smart on something this frail, but the idea is that you want to force a switch, get to +2, and then do your thing from there. It also makes sucker punch mind games much easier, as I've noticed the 8 PP can run out really quickly sometimes. (like AEGISLASH) Mono dark isn't the worst, especially on a late game sweeper where the counters have been theoretically taken care of by then.

I really do love seeing smeargle on the other team and knowing it's going to be basically useless with absol on my side.

I've been running a similar set to the one above.

252atk/ 252 spe/ 4hp
Jolly Nature

-Play Rough
-Sucker Punch
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance

9 times out of 10 this thing is my lead. If they lead with a hazards user I'll either set up a free SD, chunk them with Play Rough (usually do this if they are common sash-holders) or Mega evolve and baton pass into the appropriate counter. If they lead with something slower than absol that threatens it, just baton pass to the appropriate check/counter. Set has a good amount of options in the first few turns of the game. At +2, sucker punch ohko's almost anything that doesn't resist it. If they switch into a check, you can baton pass your boosts to someone that checks their absol check and keep your momentum going with them. Baton Pass is the key move to this set, I feel. Baton Pass acts like a U-turn without the damage, but with the added advantage of potentially passing swords dance boosts to someone even scarier to the opponents team. The biggest thing this set hates is fairies that can take a +2 play rough and respond with their own play rough or moonblast/dazzling gleam to KO absol back, so steel types and ghost/psychic types that resist fighting type moves to cover your steels make a good core with it. For this reason, I use Absol alongside magnezone which crushes steel and fairy types, and flying/ levitating pokemon that can take hits for mag.

I prefer a jolly nature because my team can struggle with the standard adamant talonflame. Jolly outspeeds it, allowing +0 sucker punch to KO after hazards or some recoil damage. Outside of talonflame, you could probably get away with using an adamant nature as you can still outspeed Jolly M-Kangaskhan by 1 point and OHKO with a +2 or +0 sucker punch, depending on whether or not it's taken enough hazard/switching damage.

I like to run really bulky, defensive teams with lots of mutually beneficial switching possibilities (lots of immunities, high defenses/hp, etc.) but I often have trouble finding something which can dish out enough punishment to actually win. I've been testing Mega Absol on my current team for a few games, and I'm finding him a really great fit. Magic Bounce fits my playstyle of abusing free switches with good prediction, and M-Absol totally wrecks Ferrothorn and Sableye, two top-tier support threats that try to come in and set up on my tanks. I have been using a Play Rough / Sucker Punch / Pursuit / Fire Blast set, which helps me with the pokemon my team needs help dealing with. With all my potential free switches, he's a great lead. I'm finding his biggest issue is stopping Galvantula from getting up sticky web, because of the Bug Buzz threat.

Been using MAbsol quiet a bit and I have to say I'm surprised at how good it actually is. It does have its problems though being frail and not having Magic Bounce available turn one can be annoying but once you get that M evolution off its fantastic. Here's the set I've been running.

252 atk / 252 spe / 4 HP
Jolly
Sword Dance
Sucker Punch
Play Rough
Will-O-Wisp

I've found WoW really good on MAbsol and is a great use to move on many of it's switch in for example Skarmory and Kelfki hate being burned. Its also a great utility having the ability to get off a quick burn and can make setting up easier if need be. Sucker Punch is a powerful Stab and priority although it can sometimes be very reliable. Play Rough gives really good coverage and between it and Sucker Punch is all the coverage Absol needs to seriously dent some teams. Lastly SD allows me to sweep if the opportunity presents itself. I've also tested Taunt in place of SD and it works great as well stopping walls from recovering.

Building on the idea of baton passing things to Absol, I'm recently trying replacing SubPassing Gliscor with a Scolipede. It works. Scolipede tends to be huge Skarmory bait, which works to advantage if you pass Substitute or Iron Defence onto an already transformed M-Absol, since now it's facing something that's either at full health or can't get 2HKO'd by Brave Bird, already has at least a +1 Spe, and can't be phased out. This gives you plenty of opportunities to set up SD. Passing Iron Defence is quite useful since Absol is the glassiest of glass cannons and really wishes, it could survive physical priority that's everywhere. Absol also helps out against the Sableye that seems to be everywhere because of you-know-who, which also gives Scolipede some problems. Not having Gliscor means, I am somewhat more Fighting-weak, which needs something like Aegislash to compensate (convinently another good pass-recipient).

Incidentally, running Rock Slide on a boost-passing Scolipede to bait Talonflame is hilarious.

Here's what I've been using lately. The ev spread is to outspeed base 100s. However, I want to outspeed Garchomp, so I'm unsure which one to go with.

Absol-Mega (F) @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 44 Spd / 252 Atk / 212 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough/Sucker Punch

or

EVs: 232 Spd / 252 Atk / 24 SAtk
Naive Nature

I've been between that spread and this one, so that I can outspeed Mega Lucario and Garchomp. Any thoughts? I could use some input from people who have used it more than me.

I like to use base 204 Spe to outspeed Terrakion. 216 Spe outspeeds Gengar and the Latis, which is useful if you want to get past Subdisable and Sucker punch mindgames. Outspeeding M-Lucario doesn't really work, since it dies from its priority moves anyway, but if you wanted to, you could also use max speed.

Any good reason why people are posting speed-boosting natures instead of attack ones? At 115 base w/ 252 evs, what significant threats are not outsped/ko'd by sucker punch?

Any good reason why people are posting speed-boosting natures instead of attack ones? At 115 base w/ 252 evs, what significant threats are not outsped/ko'd by sucker punch?
Talonflame. But you can't do much more than hit it with a NVE attack on the switch in and run.

Here's what I've been using lately. The ev spread is to outspeed base 100s. However, I want to outspeed Garchomp, so I'm unsure which one to go with.
EVs: 44 Spd / 252 Atk / 212 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough/Sucker Punch

or

EVs: 232 Spd / 252 Atk / 24 SAtk
Naive Nature

I've been between that spread and this one, so that I can outspeed Mega Lucario and Garchomp. Any thoughts? I could use some input from people who have used it more than me.
I would have to say outspeeding Garchomp and M-Luke is very important. M-Absol has an amazing speed tier and being able to outspeed M-Luke is huge, since it prevents you from getting swept.

For the Baton Pass Recipient Absol, why don't you try giving it a Naughty nature with 44 Atk/240 SpA/224 Spd? I made one in Showdown and compared it with the Naive nature with 132 Atk / 240 SAtk / 136 Spd one posted and it has the same speed and special attack while having slightly higher attack (at 337 versus 329 in the original baton pass recipient set.) Not that much of a difference, but I thought it was worth a mention.

Last edited:

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Magic Bounce is an amazing ability, and Mega Absol has both the typing and stats to succeed in OU. I've been trying it out, experimenting with stuff, and I really think that Mega Absol has the potential to be top OU, right up there with Rotom-W and Keldeo and stuff.

Using it properly requires a lot of prediction, what with switching in and out at the right time, when to Sucker punch, ect. If you can though, Absol has the potential to completely destroy the opponent. It's insane.

Here's my current build:

Absol @ Absolite
Jolly
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Sucker Punch
Play Rough
WoW
Protect

Protect scouts, and adds another layer to the mindgames. Love it.

Hey everyone, new user here so I apologize if I'm breaking any format or rules, but I had a quick question that I feel no one but you guys could answer best!

During my breeding endeavors, I managed to get a Shiny Naive Absol with the following spread (31/31/31/31/10-13/31).

As you can see, the SpD on this Absol is not very hot. That being said, Absol is by far my most favorite Pokemon. Getting a legit Shiny that I hatched was a "FUCK YEA!" moment that made Christmas Eve pretty happening. I really enjoy playing as competitively as I can, and I'd love to use this Absol, so my question is basically this:

How bad will this low SpD affect me? I know Absol already has a bad SpD, and Naive lowers it even more. Would it even matter if the SpD was 31 at all or can I sill manage an effective and powerful Mega Absol with the lower SpD? My plan is to get a Gorebyss and Baton Pass a Shell Smash to my Absol. Such insane speed and attack mixed with Magic Bounce seems pretty fun to me, and it actually lets me use Absol competitively. Also, Shell Smash lowers SpD as it is, so I'm curious if it even matters using this strategy. Also, if I were to choose a different strategy, does it still even matter?

Thoughts?

Hey everyone, new user here so I apologize if I'm breaking any format or rules, but I had a quick question that I feel no one but you guys could answer best!

During my breeding endeavors, I managed to get a Shiny Naive Absol with the following spread (31/31/31/31/10-13/31).

As you can see, the SpD on this Absol is not very hot. That being said, Absol is by far my most favorite Pokemon. Getting a legit Shiny that I hatched was a "FUCK YEA!" moment that made Christmas Eve pretty happening. I really enjoy playing as competitively as I can, and I'd love to use this Absol, so my question is basically this:

How bad will this low SpD affect me? I know Absol already has a bad SpD, and Naive lowers it even more. Would it even matter if the SpD was 31 at all or can I sill manage an effective and powerful Mega Absol with the lower SpD? My plan is to get a Gorebyss and Baton Pass a Shell Smash to my Absol. Such insane speed and attack mixed with Magic Bounce seems pretty fun to me, and it actually lets me use Absol competitively. Also, Shell Smash lowers SpD as it is, so I'm curious if it even matters using this strategy. Also, if I were to choose a different strategy, does it still even matter?

Thoughts?
Absol isn't going to take a hit anyways. Have fun with it.

Absol isn't going to take a hit anyways. Have fun with it.
Do you have any first-hand experience with Mega Absol? How does he seem to be fairing? I've been following this thread for awhile now, and I understand that there isn't a consensus on where he'll stand.

Do you have any first-hand experience with Mega Absol? How does he seem to be fairing? I've been following this thread for awhile now, and I understand that there isn't a consensus on where he'll stand.
M-Absol inevitably gets compared to M-Lucario as a sweeper, since their roles are so similar. I would say, that the main selling point of Absol (read: why you would want to use this instead of Lucario) is immunity to Status moves. With Will-o'-Wisp and Thunderwaves being thrown about absolutely everywhere (especially from Pranksters), bouncing them back really does come in handy. Also it's hilarious to see people ragequit when Spore bounces back on Smeargle.

The main problem with using him is that whenever he gets hit, he crumbles into finely atomised powder. I would use dual screens or pass some Iron Defence from Scolipede.

M-Absol inevitably gets compared to M-Lucario as a sweeper, since their roles are so similar. I would say, that the main selling point of Absol (read: why you would want to use this instead of Lucario) is immunity to Status moves. With Will-o'-Wisp and Thunderwaves being thrown about absolutely everywhere (especially from Pranksters), bouncing them back really does come in handy. Also it's hilarious to see people ragequit when Spore bounces back on Smeargle.

The main problem with using him is that whenever he gets hit, he crumbles into finely atomised powder. I would use dual screens or pass some Iron Defence from Scolipede.
I've noticed the same problem. While he hits like a truck, pretty much every move has OHKO him. I've debated using a ShellPass strategy or, as you said, sending Iron Defense his way.

I think this match demonstrated why I love MAbsol so much: a pivot, baton passer, and offensive sweeper all in one. I use the same set as Spiegalmann above, and often use Absol as a lead. I mega first turn but if its something I know I can't win against but will outspeed, I baton pass to scout the moveset of the opponent's lead.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-72777153

Gotta say I'm disappointed in this one. Still doesn't pack enough of a punch, so I'm pretty much required to run SD...I've got him Jolly, with Sucker Punch, Play Rough, Psycho Cut (yes, I'm dumb), and SD. Really wanting to go back and rebreed a Naive one to run Fire Blast but I just don't think he's worth the effort. I've been trying to make Absol work for three generations and it just isn't clicking for me.

Alright, I've been an Absol user for a very long time. Originally, I assumed, like many others... that Naïve was the best nature for Mega Absol, since 361 puts him at a great speed tier.

I'm actually here to make a compelling argument that Naughty is the preferred Nature for Mega Absol and should be listed in the set as such. The primary reason for this change is because nearly all threats to Absol above 329 speed (Absol's speed with Naughty Nature) are OHKO'ed by +2 Sucker Punch or close to it. Let's look at some calcs:

Naïve:
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 304-358 (84.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 304-358 (84.9 - 100%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Naughty:
+2 252+ Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 333-393 (93 - 109.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 333-393 (93 - 109.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Naïve:
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 291-343 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 291-343 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Naughty:
+2 252+ Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 319-376 (92.7 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 319-376 (92.7 - 109.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Naive
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 265-313 (88.9 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Naughty:
+2 252+ Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 292-345 (97.9 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Naïve:
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 274-324 (90.1 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
Naughty:
+2 252+ Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 301-355 (99 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Naïve:
+2 252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 249-294 (91.5 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
Naughty:
+2 252+ Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 273-322 (100.3 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So, who exactly are you not outspeeding or losing to with Naughty Nature? Keldeo, Terakion, and Talonflame.

Keldeo and Terakion often run scarfed sets, making them hard counters to Absol regardless. Talonflame is a valid argument to run Naïve over Naughty though. As for Mega Lucario... He will always hard counter Absol. Leaving Absol in and attempting to Fire Blast is often suicide because most M-Lucario's run Vacuum Wave. If Lucario is in the middle of a sweep. +2 Extremespeed/Bullet Punch will always OHKO Absol before it can do anything.

I posted these calcs to show that Garchomp is handled perfectly fine by Sucker Punch at +2, as well as a majority of other notable threats. And yes - with Naughty, you can still Ice Beam Gliscor and Landorus-T. You can still Play Rough every dragon except Garchomp. And you can still Fire Blast Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Forretress, M-Mawile, and Kelfki.

We need to ask ourselves if Naïve is really necessary as M-Lucario hard counters Absol anyways. What do you guys think? (I'm going to have a lot more breeding to do if Naughty is a better nature.)

Here's one I really shouldn't give away, but I'm going to because I'm done with this style of team:

Baton pass teams are pretty good right now on PS and mega Absol fits in nicely. He can come in on a knock off for a +1 attack boost and he also blocks trick. Once mega evolved, he has magic bounce, which is godly for obvious reasons.

I've been using:

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse / Wish
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass

It's nice to have a magic bouncer that can boost up in the face of taunters and phasers, since this frees up Espeon to use stored power + dazzling gleam + BP + sub/morning sun so that he is self sustainable with either the healing or the sub while also not being walled by dark types. Unboosted dark pulse is my choice in the first slot since it OHKOs Aegislash in blade form, which is cool considering you can switch in on shadow ball, but wish is an option since you lack leftovers healing.

I thought of a crazy idea, a mono attacking set.

Absol@Absolite
EVs: 252atk / 252spd / 4sp.def
Adamant / Jolly
Substitute
Taunt
Swords Dance
Sucker Punch / Play Rough / Night Slash

A lol set which puts up a sub on things it scares out. It may seem weird to run taunt, but it is useful for pokes that come in to set up against Absol.

Setting up swords dance behind a sub keeps the opponent guessing what your last move is until u reveal it. Sucker punch everything when u think they will attack. Other moves like play rough can be used for keldeo, terrakion and can hit lucario neutrally. Night slash can be used if prediction or outspeeding isn't important.

Stuff like keldeo, terrakion, clefable, quaggy, (M) lucario take nothing from sucker punch.

Granted this set has limited uses, but can royally screw up defensive pokes that expect to come in on a resisted non stab move to set up status or hazards predicting a switch, and surprise its usual checks with an unexpected attacking move. Gimmicky at its best though.

I thought of a crazy idea, a mono attacking set.

Absol@Absolite
EVs: 252atk / 252spd / 4sp.def
Adamant / Jolly
Substitute
Taunt
Swords Dance
Sucker Punch / Play Rough / Night Slash

A lol set which puts up a sub on things it scares out. It may seem weird to run taunt, but it is useful for pokes that come in to set up against Absol.

Setting up swords dance behind a sub keeps the opponent guessing what your last move is until u reveal it. Sucker punch everything when u think they will attack. Other moves like play rough can be used for keldeo, terrakion and can hit lucario neutrally. Night slash can be used if prediction or outspeeding isn't important.

Stuff like keldeo, terrakion, clefable, quaggy, (M) lucario take nothing from sucker punch.

Granted this set has limited uses, but can royally screw up defensive pokes that expect to come in on a resisted non stab move to set up status or hazards predicting a switch, and surprise its usual checks with an unexpected attacking move. Gimmicky at its best though.
Even if you were to run a mono set, Sucker Punch is too unreliable to run as your only move. I don't suggest using it, but if you are going to use this set, use either Play Rough/Night Slash

Even if you were to run a mono set, Sucker Punch is too unreliable to run as your only move. I don't suggest using it, but if you are going to use this set, use either Play Rough/Night Slash
I agree, i just find that taunt is a really unexpected move on Mabsol, and its been bugging me on how i can use it effectively on him, considering his non-existent defenses and magic bounce as ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)