1. Post all suggestions for Pokemon Showdown in this thread. Do NOT post them in the Suggestion Box!
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Add a Welcome Desk forum.

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Unbreakable, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unbreakable

Unbreakable

Many forums have a space reserved for newcomers to the forum to ask questions and generally learn what makes the community tick. While it's true that each sub-forum has a "Simple Question, Simple Answer" sticky to serve this function, this approach is counter-intuitive and has the effect of making newcomers feel less comfortable as they stumble to find the information they want or need.

A forum centered around making newcomers feel more at home would also include such things as a FAQ thread to answer things such as where to get PO, how to make a team, what various abbreviations mean, a more in-depth explanation of what goes on in each sub-forum (ASB is particularly impenetrable in this regard, I find) and so forth. Users may also post introduction threads in this forum--who they are, where they live, how they got into Pokemon, other interests--in order to facilitate the existing users being able to find common ground with the newbie, thus strengthening the sense of community.

All in all, I wish you guys had had something like this when I came here.
  2. v

v a cosmic hiccup shrieking "i exist,"
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    ULTRA Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)