1. Post all suggestions for Pokemon Showdown in this thread. Do NOT post them in the Suggestion Box!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!
  4. Ever find yourself missing out on the latest Smogon articles? We've now got a subscription service, so the newest articles (of your choice) are delivered right to your inbox! Check it out here.

Add a Welcome Desk forum.

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Unbreakable, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unbreakable

Unbreakable

Many forums have a space reserved for newcomers to the forum to ask questions and generally learn what makes the community tick. While it's true that each sub-forum has a "Simple Question, Simple Answer" sticky to serve this function, this approach is counter-intuitive and has the effect of making newcomers feel less comfortable as they stumble to find the information they want or need.

A forum centered around making newcomers feel more at home would also include such things as a FAQ thread to answer things such as where to get PO, how to make a team, what various abbreviations mean, a more in-depth explanation of what goes on in each sub-forum (ASB is particularly impenetrable in this regard, I find) and so forth. Users may also post introduction threads in this forum--who they are, where they live, how they got into Pokemon, other interests--in order to facilitate the existing users being able to find common ground with the newbie, thus strengthening the sense of community.

All in all, I wish you guys had had something like this when I came here.
  2. v

v protected by a silver spoon
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor
    ULTRA Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)