Pokémon Aegislash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except there are two problems with this, if you don't OHKO with shadow sneak, you WILL die with your shitty defences, while if shadow claw, yeah, you'll take damage, but you also have 150/150 base defences, meaning you can take it and KO in return.

You're also not thinking about using him before you get chance to set up (and only being useful once you're at +6 once your counters are gome makes you a pretty shitty pokemon). If you run shadow sneak, and the opponent has a Lando-T, you can't do ANYTHING until he's taken out. If you SD and he switches out, you'll either switch out or do 52.51 - 62.56% but be KO'd in return. If you do predict the switch, you'll be doing 22.93 - 27.82% with shadow sneak, then you'll switch out. However, if you run Shadow Claw, when he switches in, he'll take a good 40.67 - 48.01%, at which point you can switch out. What that means is if you had and still have rocks up, when you next bring in Aegislash (which isn't difficult with his great defences), if he tries to switch back in and you shadow claw, he'll be KO'd.

That's why you run shadow claw, because it makes it a hell of a lot easier to get rid of your counters in a match, and makes your function as a pivot before you set up far more useful. You can never, ever, just rely on getting to +6 to be good, that's a disaster waiting to happen.
Stance Dance Aegislash is more variable than we're giving him credit for. He's not useless before he can set up to get to +6, he makes a very good pivot until that happens because the opponent is going to immediately switch to a counter so as to avoid the threat of an Aegislash boosting. And one of the issues with running Shadow Claw over Shadow Sneak is that you may very will get dented when you're Swords Dancing, and although Aegislash is bulky, he's susceptible to being whittled down. With Shadow Sneak, you don't have to worry about prior damage that you take, because you won't be getting hit anymore. Shadow Claw is more suited to Aegislash sets that don't rely on Swords Dance, in my opinion.

Stance Dance Aegislash is more variable than we're giving him credit for. He's not useless before he can set up to get to +6, he makes a very good pivot until that happens because the opponent is going to immediately switch to a counter so as to avoid the threat of an Aegislash boosting. And one of the issues with running Shadow Claw over Shadow Sneak is that you may very will get dented when you're Swords Dancing, and although Aegislash is bulky, he's susceptible to being whittled down. With Shadow Sneak, you don't have to worry about prior damage that you take, because you won't be getting hit anymore. Shadow Claw is more suited to Aegislash sets that don't rely on Swords Dance, in my opinion.
What do you mean you're not getting hit with Shadow Sneak? Outside of the ridiculous +6 scenario, shadow sneak isn't ohkoing a thing and is going to be ko'd in return. It might be useful as a revenge killer for very weakened mons in a pinch (and god knows how many better options for that there are) but that's it.

What do you mean you're not getting hit with Shadow Sneak? Outside of the ridiculous +6 scenario, shadow sneak isn't ohkoing a thing and is going to be ko'd in return. It might be useful as a revenge killer for very weakened mons in a pinch (and god knows how many better options for that there are) but that's it.
You're not using Shadow Sneak in this case, you're using Aegislash as a defensive pivot.

Yes, you'll get dented running shadow claw, but that's the whole point of his 150/150 defences, it's the whole point of having king's shield on a set, if you're expecting to KO everything with shadow sneak, why would you run kings shield? With shadow sneak you're relying to get to +6 to even win, let me remind you, that means you'll be taking at least 2 hits, and then leaves you vulnerable if you can't OHKO with shadow sneak. With shadow claw, you get set up just one SD, and OHKO most pokemon, especially late game, and if you don't OHKO, it doesn't matter, because they'll only ever hit you in your defensive form.

With shadow sneak he ruins his effectiveness as a pivot, if anything wants to switch in on Aegislash, all it needs to do is be able to take a sacred sword and not be weak to shadow sneak, you can't wear other pokemon down anywhere near as easily. As in the scenario above, if you have shadow sneak instead of claw, Lando-T doesn't give two shits about switching in, same with Gliscor (especially with Gliscor).

Which pretty much requires you to get hit by definition and is something all the Aegislash sets can do.
Yes, you'll get dented running shadow claw, but that's the whole point of his 150/150 defences, it's the whole point of having king's shield on a set, if you're expecting to KO everything with shadow sneak, why would you run kings shield? With shadow sneak you're relying to get to +6 to even win, let me remind you, that means you'll be taking at least 2 hits, and then leaves you vulnerable if you can't OHKO with shadow sneak. With shadow claw, you get set up just one SD, and OHKO most pokemon, especially late game, and if you don't OHKO, it doesn't matter, because they'll only ever hit you in your defensive form.

With shadow sneak he ruins his effectiveness as a pivot, if anything wants to switch in on Aegislash, all it needs to do is be able to take a sacred sword and not be weak to shadow sneak, you can't wear other pokemon down anywhere near as easily. As in the scenario above, if you have shadow sneak instead of claw, Lando-T doesn't give two shits about switching in, same with Gliscor (especially with Gliscor).
Valid points, my ideas for Aegislash may not be optimal but they certainly have shown to get the job done, although it's generally more successful in 3v3 than 6v6.

Right, but you also forget that the point of Stance Dance Aegislash is not to reach +2, but +6. Of course, you counter with "no intelligent opponent will let Aegislash get to +6," to which everyone else responds, "that's why you use him for cleaning when his counters are dead," to which you don't respond, and instead wait for someone else to post something about the Stance Dance set and then the circle repeats.
I've said it time and time again, +6 is stupid. You're not getting there, period.

But in the interest in maybe getting something else done... lets take a different route. Do you really thing that (lol) +6 Aegislash is the best endgame sweeper in the current metagame? In a game surrounded by Mega-Lucario, Scizor, Mega Mawile, Mega Absol, and other forgotten relics of past generations (CB Technician Hitmontop, Fake Out Technician Ambipom).

If your team is built around an endgame priority sweeper, why not use the best one? Life Orb Scizor (potentially now... Mega Scizor) is the most obvious choice.

Note: Lucario, Absol, Scizor, and Mawile all have access to the deadly Swords Dance + Priority combo. Aegislash is hardly alone in this market. Scizor and Lucario serve as perfectly good non-Mega priority sweepers as well.

So lets do a bit of damage comparison, now shall we? I chose Dragonite, because it takes neutral damage to all of these attacks.

• 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 146-173 (37.82 - 44.81%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario ExtremeSpeed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 117-138 (30.31 - 35.75%) -- 36.77% chance to 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Deoxys Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 109-130 (28.23 - 33.67%) -- 0.24% chance to 3HKO

I assigned "Deoxys" ghost typing, and he serves as a good Aegislash proxy because of his 150 base attack.

Advantage: Life Orb Lucario. With 90 base speed, Lucario outspeeds major bulky threats like Dragonite and Gyarados, and can simply resort to Ice Punch, Stone Edge, Earthquake, or Close Combat. Extremespeed does more damage than Aegislash, and with access to Swords Dance and better attacks (ie: Close Combat, Earthquake, etc. etc.), Lucario is still a better endgame sweeper than Aegislash.

Scizor of course gets his own mention, as his Bullet Punch is one of the strongest non-Mega non-Uber priority attacks in the game.

Speaking of Megas, lets see what happens when Mawile and Absol hit the field. Again, all of these pokemon have Swords Dance to threaten a "priority sweep".

• 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus-Normal ExtremeSpeed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 185-218 (47.92 - 56.47%) -- 84.77% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 172-203 (44.55 - 52.59%) -- 21.48% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Absol Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 168-198 (43.52 - 51.29%) -- 5.86% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 126-148 (32.64 - 38.34%) -- 99.15% chance to 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 110-130 (28.49 - 33.67%) -- 0.37% chance to 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Deoxys Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 109-130 (28.23 - 33.67%) -- 0.24% chance to 3HKO

Mega Luke and Mega Scizor don't hit as hard without Life Orb, but they still are better than Aegislash's unboosted Shadow Sneaks. Even then, Lucario is going off of 112 base Speed and a Base 240 Close Combat, Lucario arguably doesn't need Bullet Punch / Extreme Speed anymore to sweep.

Mega Scizor has 70 / 140 / 100 defenses, and is NOT Earthquake weak. Mind you, in "priority sweep mode", Aegislash only has 60/50/50 defenses. If any opponent survives (focus sash, unexpected bulk, etc. etc.), Aegislash dies after the Shadow Sneak.

The other megas: Mega Mawile and Mega Absol are quite different of course... their priority damage output is roughly on the order of Arceus-Normal ExtremeSpeed... at a downside that it can (and probably will be) predicted. Nonetheless, they represent an unprecedented amount of power in the OU Metagame.

Mega Absol may not be quite as strong as Mawile (despite the STAB advantage, Mawile still boosts dmg over him). However, Mega Absol is rocking Sucker Punch / Pursuit / Passive Magic Bounce off 150 Atk and 115 Base Speed. Now THAT is what I call a mind game: guess wrong and you die.

Say what you will about Aegislash. If Aegislash really requires lol +6 to sweep with a priority attack, get a better sweeper. Scizor doesn't require it, because he's bulky enough to survive. Lucario doesn't require it, because +2 Adaptability Close Combats OHKOs damn near everyone and 112 Base Speed pulls it off easily. Finally, Mega Mawile and Mega Absol are nearly twice as powerful as Life Orb Aegislash, so their +2 does the same damage as Aegislash's +6. (EDIT: I exaggerated a bit there. I redid the calculations, and +2 Mega Mawile Sucker Punch hurts more than +4 Aegislash Shadow Sneak. Its a bit weaker than +6, but that's the level of power we're dealing with.)

---------------------

So what does Aegislash offer to the table? Is he packing the movepool of Lucario / Scizor? Does +2 Sucker Punch OHKO Garchomp like Mega Mawile / Mega Absol can? Is he rocking Absol's Pursuit + Magic Bounce for some crazy mind games?

Does Aegislash have 112 speed (like Lucario?), does he have 115 speed? (like Absol)? Does Aegislash outspeed anybody... at all?

Listen: No one sweeps with a 40BP attack... and no one sweeps with 60 base unboosted speed. Its just not tactically sound. If you want to run Aegislash as a sweeper, spend a turn setting up Automatize and let him sweep from there.

But really, this "get to +6" idea needs to stop. It simply doesn't happen in high-level play... mostly because other tactics are just straight up superior.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I don't get why people are so dead insistent that Shadow Sneak Aegislash cannot KO stuff. Someone mentioned earlier that their boosted Shadow Sneak failed to KO Goodra or something. Obviously an Aegislash which spams Shadow Sneak like that is going nowhere fast. To play to this Aegislash's strengths, you need to KO your opponent before they can KO you back. How do you do this? I dunno, by not going for Shadow Sneak on something that doesn't get KOed by it. Just use your other move (Sacred Sword / Iron Head), then go for Shadow Sneak. Instead of a 60 base power move you use that fails to OHKO too many things, now you have essentially a 150-180 base power combo attack coming from +2, and you tank their hit beforehand with your intact 150/150 defenses.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Yeah except when Aegislash sets up it doesn't have a ton of HP left. SD Aegi has serious Cloyster syndrome where you can drastically minimize the damage is does by hitting it before it starts, every bit counts. Goodra takes a +4 Shadow Sneak and KOs with Earthquake or Fire Blast... or it just outspeeds Aegislash, and KOs it with Earthquake or Fire Blast. It's why SD is so unreliable, you take like 30-40% per SD, and +2 Aegi can't sweep anything, so you're usually stuck at like 40% health by the time you actually kill the thing hitting you that you're trying to set up on, and then anything faster either tanks a shadow sneak then KOs, or just outspeeds and KOs. This is the incredibly large flaw SD Aegislash has to deal with, it can only sweep if your opponent practically lets it.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Yeah except when Aegislash sets up it doesn't have a ton of HP left. SD Aegi has serious Cloyster syndrome where you can drastically minimize the damage is does by hitting it before it starts, every bit counts. Goodra takes a +4 Shadow Sneak and KOs with Earthquake or Fire Blast... or it just outspeeds Aegislash, and KOs it with Earthquake or Fire Blast. It's why SD is so unreliable, you take like 30-40% per SD, and +2 Aegi can't sweep anything, so you're usually stuck at like 40% health by the time you actually kill the thing hitting you that you're trying to set up on, and then anything faster either tanks a shadow sneak then KOs, or just outspeeds and KOs. This is the incredibly large flaw SD Aegislash has to deal with, it can only sweep if your opponent practically lets it.
I dunno about you, but Aegislash can outright force switches when attempting to setup, incredibly easy I might add, on stuff like Fairies, Scizor, Fighting-types, Mega-Kanga without EQ and shit like that. It is also relatively easy to avoid damage with the threat of King's Shield neutering them. Considering its resistances and bulk (in Shield Stance), sweeping if the opponent lets it can happen more often than you think, and is the main reason people scramble for Aegislash checks, while also being the main contributor to Mixed Aegislash's popularity since most switch-ins aim to deal with the threat of SD Aegislash in the first place.

I dunno about you, but Aegislash can outright force switches when attempting to setup, incredibly easy I might add, on stuff like Fairies, Scizor, Fighting-types, Mega-Kanga without EQ and shit like that. It is also relatively easy to avoid damage with the threat of King's Shield neutering them. Considering its resistances and bulk (in Shield Stance), sweeping if the opponent lets it can happen more often than you think, and is the main reason people scramble for Aegislash checks, while also being the main contributor to Mixed Aegislash's popularity since most switch-ins aim to deal with the threat of SD Aegislash in the first place.
I don't understand how anyone can use the word "sweep" to describe a base 60 pokemon's endgame. Outside of the Automatize set, Aegislash is NOT going to be "sweeping" anybody.

Aegislash checks and revenge killers are plentiful because of its pitiful speed.

I don't get why people are so dead insistent that Shadow Sneak Aegislash cannot KO stuff. Someone mentioned earlier that their boosted Shadow Sneak failed to KO Goodra or something. Obviously an Aegislash which spams Shadow Sneak like that is going nowhere fast. To play to this Aegislash's strengths, you need to KO your opponent before they can KO you back. How do you do this? I dunno, by not going for Shadow Sneak on something that doesn't get KOed by it. Just use your other move (Sacred Sword / Iron Head), then go for Shadow Sneak. Instead of a 60 base power move you use that fails to OHKO too many things, now you have essentially a 150-180 base power combo attack coming from +2, and you tank their hit beforehand with your intact 150/150 defenses.
But the problem with that is you're then relying on just one move to be un-resisted, that move being Sacred Sword / Iron Head. Overall, that's rather underwhelming IMO. Shadow claw and Sacred sword aren't resisted by much when used together, and can easily do a job.

Yeah except when Aegislash sets up it doesn't have a ton of HP left. SD Aegi has serious Cloyster syndrome where you can drastically minimize the damage is does by hitting it before it starts, every bit counts. Goodra takes a +4 Shadow Sneak and KOs with Earthquake or Fire Blast... or it just outspeeds Aegislash, and KOs it with Earthquake or Fire Blast. It's why SD is so unreliable, you take like 30-40% per SD, and +2 Aegi can't sweep anything, so you're usually stuck at like 40% health by the time you actually kill the thing hitting you that you're trying to set up on
+2 with shadow claw/sacred sword can KO quite a lot, and all it takes is one SD and you're up and running, and his HP isn't that easy to whittle down.

I don't understand how anyone can use the word "sweep" to describe a base 60 pokemon's endgame. Outside of the Automatize set, Aegislash is NOT going to be "sweeping" anybody.

Aegislash checks and revenge killers are plentiful because of its pitiful speed.
I'd agree that sweep isn't really the word for a SD Aegislash, since that's not exactly what it does, but I'd massively disagree about checks and revenge killers being plentiful, there's not a lot that can score a clean KO, even on a damaged Aegislash, without being killed themselves.

The way the SD set works is essentially a mixed bag of every world. Having naturally high defences upon entry allow it to serve as a defensive pivot, but also contains enough power behind it that most pokemon won't be willing to take un-resisted hits, causing switches to take a lot of damage. Kings shield, as much as you bash it, actually allows it to stay in, stopping your team from racking up SR damage and allowing itself to take less hits (since it won't need to switch back in later to take a hit). Sword dance comes in late game, allowing you to just clean up any opponent left around, bar his small set of counters (which should be removed) by that point. Aegislash itself is a weird one, with its high defence and low speed, it resembles more of a Bulk-up pokemon, just trading an attacking move for higher starting attack and defence, and insanely higher damage output after one boost.

As I've said, I prefer an Autotomize set for late game clean up, staying in early game as a pivot, but that doesn't mean it is by any means more successful, a king shield set allows it to be a pivot far more successfully, while a sword dance set isn't reduced to just killing things once they're weakened, but can flat out destroy anything in sight, if played correctly, it almost guarantees 2 KO's, with a lot of other stuff weakened, none of the other sets can contain the guarantee, they can onky get that through good prediction.

Edit: Actually, the SD set probably most resembles a CB T-Tar, and while it will be doing less damage than a banded T-Tar off the bat (604 vs 569), it does that in exchange for free move choice, with the ability to do far more damage after one turn of set up, with a protect that can stat lower (does have LO recoil however) and a far better defensive typing.

Last edited:
Well i don't know what speed you people run on aegislash but i think for the sets without king's shield and with SD, a small speed investment just enough to outspeed un-invested base 60-70 speed pokemon like politoed and tyranitar is actually pretty helpful.

Sucker Punch Bisharp stops Aegislash cold once it's in, but with Aegislash loving to sling Sacred Sword everywhere, good luck getting it on the field without sacrificing something.

Nah, just a little bit of prediction and its not that hard to step in. Just bait Aegislash with something that would make him want to use King's Shield/Shadow Sneak and you can step in relatively safely (unless Aegislash user predicts the move).

I've said it time and time again, +6 is stupid. You're not getting there, period.

But in the interest in maybe getting something else done... lets take a different route. Do you really thing that (lol) +6 Aegislash is the best endgame sweeper in the current metagame? In a game surrounded by Mega-Lucario, Scizor, Mega Mawile, Mega Absol, and other forgotten relics of past generations (CB Technician Hitmontop, Fake Out Technician Ambipom).

If your team is built around an endgame priority sweeper, why not use the best one? Life Orb Scizor (potentially now... Mega Scizor) is the most obvious choice.

Note: Lucario, Absol, Scizor, and Mawile all have access to the deadly Swords Dance + Priority combo. Aegislash is hardly alone in this market. Scizor and Lucario serve as perfectly good non-Mega priority sweepers as well.

So lets do a bit of damage comparison, now shall we? I chose Dragonite, because it takes neutral damage to all of these attacks.

• 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 146-173 (37.82 - 44.81%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario ExtremeSpeed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 117-138 (30.31 - 35.75%) -- 36.77% chance to 3HKO

I assigned "Deoxys" ghost typing, and he serves as a good Aegislash proxy because of his 150 base attack.

Advantage: Life Orb Lucario. With 90 base speed, Lucario outspeeds major bulky threats like Dragonite and Gyarados, and can simply resort to Ice Punch, Stone Edge, Earthquake, or Close Combat. Extremespeed does more damage than Aegislash, and with access to Swords Dance and better attacks (ie: Close Combat, Earthquake, etc. etc.), Lucario is still a better endgame sweeper than Aegislash.

Scizor of course gets his own mention, as his Bullet Punch is one of the strongest non-Mega non-Uber priority attacks in the game.

Speaking of Megas, lets see what happens when Mawile and Absol hit the field. Again, all of these pokemon have Swords Dance to threaten a "priority sweep".

• 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus-Normal ExtremeSpeed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 185-218 (47.92 - 56.47%) -- 84.77% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 172-203 (44.55 - 52.59%) -- 21.48% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Absol Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 168-198 (43.52 - 51.29%) -- 5.86% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 126-148 (32.64 - 38.34%) -- 99.15% chance to 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Adaptability Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 110-130 (28.49 - 33.67%) -- 0.37% chance to 3HKO

Mega Luke and Mega Scizor don't hit as hard without Life Orb, but they still are better than Aegislash's unboosted Shadow Sneaks. Even then, Lucario is going off of 112 base Speed and a Base 240 Close Combat, Lucario arguably doesn't need Bullet Punch / Extreme Speed anymore to sweep.

Mega Scizor has 70 / 140 / 100 defenses, and is NOT Earthquake weak. Mind you, in "priority sweep mode", Aegislash only has 60/50/50 defenses. If any opponent survives (focus sash, unexpected bulk, etc. etc.), Aegislash dies after the Shadow Sneak.

The other megas: Mega Mawile and Mega Absol are quite different of course... their priority damage output is roughly on the order of Arceus-Normal ExtremeSpeed... at a downside that it can (and probably will be) predicted. Nonetheless, they represent an unprecedented amount of power in the OU Metagame.

Mega Absol may not be quite as strong as Mawile (despite the STAB advantage, Mawile still boosts dmg over him). However, Mega Absol is rocking Sucker Punch / Pursuit / Passive Magic Bounce off 150 Atk and 115 Base Speed. Now THAT is what I call a mind game: guess wrong and you die.

Say what you will about Aegislash. If Aegislash really requires lol +6 to sweep with a priority attack, get a better sweeper. Scizor doesn't require it, because he's bulky enough to survive. Lucario doesn't require it, because +2 Adaptability Close Combats OHKOs damn near everyone and 112 Base Speed pulls it off easily. Finally, Mega Mawile and Mega Absol are nearly twice as powerful as Life Orb Aegislash, so their +2 does the same damage as Aegislash's +6.

---------------------

So what does Aegislash offer to the table? Is he packing the movepool of Lucario / Scizor? Does +2 Sucker Punch OHKO Garchomp like Mega Mawile / Mega Absol can? Is he rocking Absol's Pursuit + Magic Bounce for some crazy mind games?

Does Aegislash have 112 speed (like Lucario?), does he have 115 speed? (like Absol)? Does Aegislash outspeed anybody... at all?

Listen: No one sweeps with a 40BP attack... and no one sweeps with 60 base unboosted speed. Its just not tactically sound. If you want to run Aegislash as a sweeper, spend a turn setting up Automatize and let him sweep from there.

But really, this "get to +6" idea needs to stop. It simply doesn't happen in high-level play... mostly because other tactics are just straight up superior.
This this this. Even now before the meta has began to take shape Aegislash has already come undone. It's way to predictable and like you said there are safer mons with less predictability.

Nah, just a little bit of prediction and its not that hard to step in. Just bait Aegislash with something that would make him want to use King's Shield/Shadow Sneak and you can step in relatively safely (unless Aegislash user predicts the move).
Which they will, because they've seen that you've got a Bisharp on your team and they know damn well what you're going to do with it.

Counters are supposed to be safe switch-ins to just about anything the target carries, which is an extremely tall order nowadays. A Pokemon is not a counter if it can only switch in if your opponent forgets that they saw it in Team Preview.

This this this. Even now before the meta has began to take shape Aegislash has already come undone. It's way to predictable and like you said there are safer mons with less predictability.
Stance Dance Aegislash has come undone. Aegislash is still a monster with a slew of options. Take a look back at its range of special and mixed sets.

Hardly. There are plenty of good sets for Aegislash. But if your idea of "winning" is swords dancing up and using low-power priority moves for the win. Its like how in Gen5, Hydregion removed the need for SpecsMence, Salamence's ideal set from Gen4. However, Salamence had the movepool to find another niche. Similarly, Aegislash is inferior to other priority sweepers (mainly because Shadow Sneak is such a weak attack). Aegislash has plenty of unique properties that have lead to some pretty awesome sets being discussed in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which they will, because they've seen that you've got a Bisharp on your team and they know damn well what you're going to do with it.

Counters are supposed to be safe switch-ins to just about anything the target carries, which is an extremely tall order nowadays. A Pokemon is not a counter if it can only switch in if your opponent forgets that they saw it in Team Preview.

Stance Dance Aegislash has come undone. Aegislash is still a monster with a slew of options. Take a look back at its range of special and mixed sets.
Unless you're facing something that, when you're wrong, gives the other mon a free turn to set up. Its hard to say that you KNOW what someone else will do because you saw the Pokemon in team preview. I'll accept, maybe its not as safe as a counter, but killing it also requires you know that, while you're predicting Bisharp's coming in, you aren't giving a ghost a full turn to do whichever set up move for free. Both could be equally bad.

"Stancedance is undone."

That's hilariously true simply because everyone expect it so people try and play differently around Aegislash. Yet i can still run Stancedance and people will fail at killing me letting me get to +6 and king shielding and then sweeping.

StanceDance will still be used because Kingshield is its signature moved and used properly could help one with the match

Sincerely, I think Aegislash's best use is as an offensive pivot. But instead of using Life Orb, I decided, considering that 90% of the time I was only using Shadow Ball, go a step further and use Choice Specs.

Aegislash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Switch in on a resisted or weak neutral hit, then, unless you have powerful reasons not to (powerful reasons = Tyranitar or a normal type waiting to switch in), Shadow Ball whatever comes. I will hurt the switch in a lot, and then Aegislash, unless it can somehow outspeed it and finish it off, switches out to a counter for the switch in.

Sacred Sword is for Tyranitar, Blissey, Hydreigon and the like, while Shadow sneak is there to finish off pokemon hanging on a bit of life that are giving problems. Flash Cannon is basically for the Faeries not named Azumarill, and just if you're really sure thay are going to switch in, since as I mentioned, the main point here is the awesome neutrality of Shadow Ball, making it a really safe pick.

Personal favorite setup for Aegislash:
max IVs, max DEF and SPDEF EVs (or max SPDEF and HP if running Iron Defense)
Brave or Quiet nature; which one you choose depends on which move you're running and helps to patch up lack of attack investment.
Item: Lagging Tail/Full Incense
-King's Shield
-Iron Defense/Shadow Ball
-Iron Head/Shadow Ball
-Rest

Essentially forces the opponent to only attack the shield form via using King's Shield every other turn, as the priority drop from Full Incense/Lagging Tail forces the opponent to move first when you attack, unless they're also using a move with negative priority. Even then, Aegislash resists or is immune to all of the ones that do damage bar Mirror Coat, which you can easily get around by running Iron Head. King's Shield has +3 priority so it goes before just about everything else. Only issues with it is that Taunt stops it cold and the item makes Rest also have negative priority, so if you find yourself up against something that can strip off more than half of your health you really don't have a choice but to retreat, and if the opponent has Pursuit you're well and truly screwed. You can, however, predict this coming and set King's Shield to drop it's attack and hopefully keep him alive long enough to either switch out yourself or Rest (which I don't recommend myself, but NPCs are stupid sometimes and it will work against them fairly well). Also is weak to setup sweepers, so be cautious.

Alternatively, if you want to run Leftovers because of the lack of reliable recovery (which is the one thing that Aegislash missed out on) I would go with:
Max SPDEF and /SPATK/DEF EVs; max IVs bar speed, which has 0
Brave/Quiet nature
Item: Leftovers
-King's Shield
-Shadow Ball/Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak
-Iron Head/Flash Cannon/Pursuit
-Sacred Sword/Iron Defense

The mixups come down to the last moveslot. If running Sacred Sword, max DEF EVs, Brave nature, King's Shield + Shadow Claw/Sneak + Iron Head. You could use Pursuit in place of Iron Head since it has mostly redundant coverage with Sacred Sword, but then you'll need to be wary of Fairies. Ghost STAB comes down to whether you want a quick revenge kill or if you need more Ghost-type power. Unfortunately is a bit weak because of the lack of investment in ATK, but hopefully can be fixed via a more balanced EV spread.

If running Iron Defense, Max SPATK EVs, Quiet nature, King's Shield + Shadow Ball + Flash Cannon. Iron Defense boosts will make up for lack of DEF EVs, so you can afford to invest your EVs elsewhere.

Of course there's no reason you can't mix up any of the above options; experiment with it and see what works best for you and your playstyle. Also be aware that King's Shield can be played around and that Taunt is the greatest enemy. The complete lack of investment in Speed effectively bluffs the negative priority of Lagging Tail/Full Incense, but it makes it an unsure thing, so be very careful around slower opponents. If you're wanting to actually outspeed opponents instead of stalling or frightening them out, look through this thread for some of the Autotomize sets, they're pretty awesome.

It's kind of funny how people claim how 'predictable' he can be (and he can), and yet he has quite a versatile move-set (not so much as in the moves themselves, but the stat/move distribution. He can go bulky physical sweeper, bulky special sweeper, bulky mixed sweeper, all out physical sweeper, all out special sweeper, all out mixed sweeper, all out tank...

And this is making it harder to choose what set I want to run. Guess it's a matter of what works best for your team. Any viability on a Balloon as a held item, guys, or is he simply better off with Lefties?

Made a perfect one ingame (everything +31 except speed at 2) and I am running weakness policy.

My current set:

Aegislash@Weakness Policy
Nature: Brave
Ev's: 252 hp/176 attack/76 special attack/6 Special Defense
Iv's: 31/31/31/31/31/2
~ Sacred Sword
~ Iron Head
~ Shadow Ball
~ King's Shield

Reason why I chose this set is mostly because it's pretty tanky already with the HP investment, so you can pretty much force a switch and deal damage based on that. The special attack investment is to 2hko Gliscor and Landorus-T without exception if my calculations are correct. King's shield pretty much for choicer's or just for general switching. Attack investment to OHKO/2hko most other treats. 6 special defense for the possible porygon and genesect (download), even though you can't do alot to genesect with a +2 sacred sword if i'm not mistaken. Special Genesect 2/3hko's this set after SR and you in turn probably will 2hko him.

Late game this thing can be a beast but with support (healing wish, wish etc) this can be a true pain in the butt for the opposing team. I might try a more defensive version if I have enough reset bags, but the battles that I had with this went different then with the Sword dance set, which pretty much failed since you lost too much HP to sweep decently and it made king's shield to predictable.

Personally, I think Aegislash would be a great hit & run type. Kind of like sword fighting with shields.

It's kinda like what was previously said, but more so explaining for anyone (namely visitors on this page) who didn't grasp (which I thought was pretty obvious) the aforementioned set. I had to explain it to a rl buddy of mine, and I figured why not.

Since his stats switch with forms and his primary form is shield, put 252s in both defenses, and 4 in hp. Relaxed is the best nature to go. Speed is what you don't want in this set.

-Aegislash-
Stance Change

Relaxed Nature
+252 def
252 s. def
4 hp
@ life orb OR leftovers

King's shield
Sacred sword
Swords Dance
Iron Head/Shadow Claw

**Note: Shadow Sneak will leave you exposed, and I don't recommend using it with this set. **

Start off with a swords dance. You'll prolly take whatever hit is thrown at you in Shield form. Mine has survived some earthquakes even. If you're not hit, you'll still get the buff, unless you get roared or dragon tailed.

Since you'll be slow, it's a high chance your opponent will go first. Ergo, you'll still be in shield form, ready to take the hit. You get hit, then you attack in sword form, with a swords dance boost. With the stance change, Def stat becomes Atk stat, and SpDef becomes SpAtk. If the above stats are correct, 150 base is pretty good, especially with swords dance.

Anywho. You attack 2nd, and if you have life orb, you may 1 hit your opponent, depending on the foe. If not, use your King's Shield. Even though you're slower, you have the priority move, so you'll go first and if the foe makes contact, their Atk harshly drops.

With this pattern, you can repeat it, almost always ensuring your opponent will hit you only in shield form. Especially since the form change happens on your turn, as you're attacking. Sucker Punch will still be waiting, but it won't be as bad.

If moves like Bide and Payback are available, they could be incorporated into this strategy very well.

Edit: Honedge can learn payback via TM. Don't know about bide yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)