Pokémon Aggron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
First of all, if you expect a special attack, unless its 4x damage to Tar and Aggron resists it, then keep Tar in, as he is a far superior special wall. Second, Furfrou beats everything. Third and final, my word wins. jk. ;)
What if you're expecting a special attack that neither of them resist, like a surf, aura sphere, or grass knot?

Mega Aggron has filter so it probably will take less damage. Also Mega Aggron isn´t weak against grass or water.

Unless it's 4x damage on Tar and <1.5x damage on Aggron, Tar will still probably handle it better, especially if he has AV. Tar's special defense is way higher than Aggron's.

So I am finally building my Mega Aggron set I need a little advice on EV spread though.

Tionishia(Aggron/Mega Aggron) @ Aggronite
Relaxed Nature 31/31/31/x/31/0
Shadow Claw
Heavy Slam
Metal Burst
Stealth Rocks
252 HP Spread rest in Attack and Defence in some way.

Named after the Orger monster girl in Monster Musume, Tio here I plan to have as a lead, that way I don't risk switching into any ground or fighting moves. I Mega evolve and depending on the pokemon, I stealth rock, or I do one of the attacks. Being a relaxed nature with 0 speed IV's means I will almost always go last, meaning Metal Burst will always activate, which will be a great way to kill any pokemon that can do a decent amount of damage. Heavy slam and Shadow claw get near perfect coverage actually, only 5 pokemon resist it, and all of them (except maybe Hydgrion and Bisharp) can't do much back, and all of them don't like a metal burst after rock damage. I have a wish/heal bell Sylveon to help keep her alive, so I don't miss the rest/sleep talk)

I do need some help on the rest of the EV spread. I already put max HP, but I am not sure how to spread the rest in attack and defense. I want enough defense to guarantee surviving any hit, but still let me do a good amount of damage with metal burst, and also be able to do plenty of damage with Shadow Claw and Heavy Slam.

EDIT: I did a lot of calculations, and I think no EV's in attack is fine. it still reaches 316 attack, which is damn impressive, and Heavy slam will be hurting so much pokemon (even those resistant to it) due to her impressive weight. Shadow claw will still be doing decent damage as well

Last edited:
So I just got done testing this set out:

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Dragon Tail

It worked out fairly well, for the most part, getting KOed by a f*cking Sub+Coil Zygarde. I don't know... What do you guys think?

What self respecting tank takes x4 from ground and fighting? A sweeper with some good speed maybe but for someone meant to switch into a rabid physical attacker and take the hits, Aggron's not a great choice. The mega on the other hand, of course it's going to be good it's a fucking mega. Add mega to Kangaskhan and it shreds through everything even behind substitutes and get sent to uber, add it to Aggron and he could be a good tank (no regen though).

What self respecting tank takes x4 from ground and fighting? A sweeper with some good speed maybe but for someone meant to switch into a rabid physical attacker and take the hits, Aggron's not a great choice. The mega on the other hand, of course it's going to be good it's a fucking mega. Add mega to Kangaskhan and it shreds through everything even behind substitutes and get sent to uber, add it to Aggron and he could be a good tank (no regen though).
If you are talking about Mega-Aggron, it only has steel typing, in other words only 2x weakness to ground and fighting and then filter makes them even less effective than they usually are.

I've been running this set very efficiently and once it gets going it is hard to stop:
Aggron @ Aggronite
Careful 252hp 252spD 4def
-Heavy Slam/Iron Head(you won't be flinching much, so I recommend heavy slam)
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Curse

Some very strong special attackers stop it, but once you get rid of them it is gg

If you are talking about Mega-Aggron, it only has steel typing, in other words only 2x weakness to ground and fighting and then filter makes them even less effective than they usually are.
So yeah, Aggron's a good tank even if he's missing regeneration. And all it took was a mega evolution.

well i signed up to the forums for the sole purpose of discussing Aggron seeing as the options people have mentioned appeared quite limited to me. Here is my take on mega aggron, has worked wonders for me as of late. This is designed to be used behind trick room support on double battles or single battles. just pick the second move appropiately.

*Trickroom Offensive / Defensive Pivot (COME GET SOME!)

Aggron @Aggronite
Sturdy
IV's: Spe 0
Brave 252hp 252 Attack OR Sassy 252 hp 252 SpD
-Heavy Slam / Ironhead
-Stone Edge / Rock Slide
-Superpower / Aqua Tail / OR *Roar/Dragon tail (*only to be used here alongside stealth rock)
-Roar/Protect OR Stealth rock

*For a non trickroom variant simply choose adjust the Spe IV's to 31 and choose the appropiate natures.

Analysis:
Aggron has acquired a variety of new assets that make him a top pick as a defensive pivot, while having the versatility of move-pool that is prevalent within the entire monster egg group. Aggron by default is a slow pokemon, and there is no reason to not use this to his advantage. Use him inside trickroom or as a trickroom counter by running a negative nature and 0 speed IV. The idea here is simple. Come in a known resisted move, and spam the mega-evolve button as soon as you get in. Sturdy is there to provide you some leeway if you are behind trickroom in the event you mess up your prediction. Even without trickroom Aggron is more than capable of soaking up damage and retaliating. 4x weakness are crippling, and using aggron as a lead might seem like the safe choice, but giving away your ace-in-the-hole mega evolution on the first turn is not typically advisable.

Once you get in your first priority should be to put up your stealth rocks immediately. If Stealth rocks are already in play you can go for the jugular with your wide variety move-pool, scout your opponent with protect, or aim for the predicted switch with roar or a switch of your own. A brave mega Aggron brings an impressive 414 unboosted attack power to the table all packed into a neat box of threat and utility, while a specially defensive variant provides a surprising amount of survivability in conjunction with filter to even some of the more powerful special moves in the game while standing beside a usable 344 base attack. To discuss some numbers, a filtered down non-stab flamethrower from any of the top tier dragon types does on average only slightly more damage than a resisted stab boosted draco meteor off the specially defensive variant. Here are some simulations from a hasty Rayquaza with 252 SAtk investment.

Draco Meteor 28.4 - 33.7% - 0.3% Chance to 3HKO
Flamethrower 39.5 - 47% - guaranteed 3HKO
Fire Blast 48.2 - 56.9% - 90.2% Chance to 2HKO
Dragon Pulse 18.6 - 22% - Possible 5HKO

These numbers are off one of the most powerful mixed attackers in the meta, all the while threatening with super effective rockslide which provides a guaranteed 2HKO.

Heavy Slam/Iron head is your bread and butter move. Once mega Evolved, it has been confirmed that Aggrons' weight increases from a somewhat impressive 360 kg (797 lb) to a usable 395 kg (870 lb), making it the 12th heaviest Pokemon in the game. But even though he has the weight behind his punches, the prevalence of heavier foes in the uber tier means that for the most part Iron head will be the safer choice. In fact, as a general rule, if the opponent weighs more than a Slaking 130.5 kg, Ironhead is the better of the two choices. Iron head also has a chance of flinching when used behind trick room support (something aggron could only dream of otherweise with his less than impressive speed).The second choice of move is for coverage, and the odd chance that you find an opening where you can use your rock typing which would typically only apply when facing a talon flame to abuse the 4x resistance to his priority flying type moves. In fact Aggron is one of the few true counters that Talonflame has to contend with; stone-edge for singles and rockslide for multi-battles. The third slot fills a variety slot for coverage and utility and prevents aggron from becoming total setup bait. Superpower provides him with a reliable counter against other steel types such as Excardill while aqua tail gives him the power and coverage he needs against the prevalent fire type counters in the tier without sacrificing defense and attack power. Superpower vs offensive 0 HP/0 DEF excardrill deals an outstanding 126.5 - 149.1% damage for an easy OHKO while only taking a meager 66.5 - 79.3%% from life-orb earthquake (an outstanding feat considering STAB and super effectiveness). Aquatail comes in close with 95 - 112.1% damage for a risky 70% chance to OHKO; making superpower the move of choice here unless provided with rain support; especially considering Excadrills' defensive variants. Stealth rock is not factored into these equations as the damage from stealthrock to Excadrill is negligible. On the other hand Roar is an option in this slot to be used alongside stealth rock for racking up passive damage by forcing switches. Aggron presence can almost immediately force a switch, and roar compliments this ability by not allowing the opponent to bring in a true counter, while forcing him to take additional passive damage because of his own switch. The last slot is truly dependant on the third moveslot, and while Aggron may typically spend his turns better attacking, stealth rock has become an uncommon move held by a select few, and as such it's mention is almost required. If you opt for stealth rock than you may opt for any of the moves in the third slot, but if you choose to run roar or protect then consider the coverage moves instead. The method to this madness is the tremendous loss of coverage, and the simple fact that combining a scouting and shuffling moves can provide a skilled player a chance to boost. If the opponent can predict the protect he might simply opt to boost instead and get in some bonus damage. You should typically only have 1 support move between protect and roar as they both fill a somewhat similar role; the former switching out possible threats before they ever get into the field of play, and the later scouting a good switch.

Counters (BALLS OF STEEL):
Mega aggrons greatest weakness is himself. If Aggron switches in on the wrong move he can potentially lose alot more life than he had first intended. Once Aggron succesfully mega evolves he becomes a completely different story. Mega-Aggron is truly the best if not one of the best stand alone pokemon in the meta. Aggron easily counters ho-oh taking less than 35% damage from stab boosted sacred fires all the while threatening with rock slide. In fact, aggron is so bulky that his specially defensive variant can only be OHKO by reshiram's signature move Blue Flare (125% damage) or fireblast (106%); the latter move just barely making it up to 106% all the while having to be careful of switching in to a dangerous stealth rock/rock slide combination which could severely dent him as he switches out to safety the next turn all for naught. But even this behemoth has his weaknesses.

Groudon has little trouble tanking Aggrons' sun-weakened aqua-tails, but still requires a 3HKO to defeat him, outside of the sun however, he risks trading blow for blow with Aggrons' aqua-tails taking a whopping 32-38% damage per hit. Aggron suffers greatly from burn syndrome, and the attacking variant quickly becomes a sacrificial pawn to soak up dangerous damage once successfully burned. Blaziken can come in on a revenge kill and threaten him with flare blitz provided aggron is at less than 50% hp, but risks trading dangerous blows otherwise as he only deals 41-50% (3HKO) damage per hit and will die a horrendous aqua-tail taking 71 to 91% damage should Aggron find an opening to attack. Hi Jump kick provides a more reliable 2HKO, but you must be wary of protect which is common with many variants which will ultimately spell your doom on the second attack should he have it. Even after a swords dance flare blitz does not secure the OHKO so play blaziken as a revenge only. Kyogre can come in on a predicted iron head and easily 2HKO with surf but takes considerable damage from superpower should he opt to simply attack and switch. Palkia can take every move except for superpower with stride on the switch, and threaten with a powerful fire blast for a 2HKO, dialga can do even better resisting both primary stabs but must watch out for super power or risk losing over half his life.

Team options:

(God mode, ALL OUT OF BUBBLEGUM)

Looking at Aggrons weaknesses your first thought might be to slap a Kyogre god of rain on your team and call it a day as puny fire elementals throw their unimpressive fireballs at your soaked God of steel. Well lets consider your strategy for a moment. From the calculations above we demonstrated how we could take a super effective fire attack and drop it into the 30%-35% (even lower for the physical attackers such as Blaziken) damage range by throwing rain into the mix. But have you considered the converse? When you do this those water attacks that were doing upwards of 40% now will be doing around 80% (some even much higher from the likes of the rain god himself). Not only that. Consider that filter reduces the damage of super effective attacks but NOT that of neutral attacks. Thus, adding rain to the mix, while severely hampering enemies fire type attacks will also conversely raise your weakness to water based attacks which can be just as common as the former.

(Team mode, WHY ALWAYS THE LADIES?)
Having said that, it is true that Pokemon is a team game, and trading evenly is indeed for nubs so if duking it out like a God vs all that stand before you is not your style, I would advise you to consider Rayquaza/Dragonite/Salamence or HO-oh who resist every single weakness that mega Aggron has for an offensive team OR Kyogre as a special wall to soak up those fire and water type moves on a defensive oriented team while providing you a screen of water vs the common fire attacks in the tier. Remember rain support also boosts the power of your aquatail. If you opt for Ho-Oh don't choose Kyogre for obvious reasons. I mentioned Ho-oh last because he is extremely weak to stealth rock and as such will require rapid spin support, alternatively Giratina may also be selected as a dedicated/support physical wall (depending on if you use offensive or defensive pivot) Because Groundon packs to much punch on the switch, and kyogre can't risk taking those hits.

Last edited:
My Theodosius runs 248 HP/248 Def/8 Atk, Adamant, Iron Head/Stealth Rock/Earthquake/Drsgon tail and he pretty much eats the online metagame for breakfast. Aegislash? Blaziken? More like "stealth rock bait". EQ OHKOes Mega Blaziken ans Sword Aegislash, and doesn't get the attack drop on Kings Shield, and neither of them can 2HKO with Flare Blitz/Sacred Sword. On a predicted Kings Shield/any attack from MBlaziken, you can get rocks up then phase if they've been boosting or OHKO on a predicted attack, as I out slow most Aegislash I've encountered. Those guys are like the most common Mons I see online, too.
I've actually been using this set with great success. Sure it doesn't hit super hard, but the moves work for what you need it to do. I usually run him as a phazer and let SR stack damage.

This is my M-Aggron set.
Aggron @ Aggronite
Careful 252hp 252spD 4attck
-Heavy Slam
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Dragon tail
Single handedly best phazer Eva!!! After I got my rocks up with a physically defensive krokodile, this thing just goes to town. Keep phasing until you are low health, rest, sleep talk, rinse and repeat!

Would this be better? I'm using it in a heavy hazards team w/ a specially defensive fairy with wish like Florges, Sylveon, Blissey.

252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk - Impish
Stealth Rock
Dragon Tail (damage + phazing + soundproof targets I guess)
Roar (fairies + IIRC it goes through subs and maybe protect?)
Iron Head

Or should I go the Physical Tank route in the OP with
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Def - Impish
Stealth Rock
Iron Head
EQ
Dragon Tail

?

Help would be appreciated.

Would this be better? I'm using it in a heavy hazards team w/ a specially defensive fairy with wish like Florges, Sylveon, Blissey.

Stealth Rock
Iron Head

Stealth Rock
Iron Head
EQ
Dragon Tail

?

I think the optimal set should either be a specially defensive set with 252Hp 252SDef with an impish Nature (gives you enough of a boost for Defense) since there really won't be much difference in defence if invested since his defense is so high already (around 3-4% difference). Whereas if you invest in SDef you can get up to 20% increase in Special Defense which would really help you handle a number of mixed attackers far better. Either that or a tank set with 252Hp 252Atk with adamant/impish Nature.

Stealth Rock
Iron Head

Stealth Rock
Iron Head
EQ
Dragon Tail

?

I think the optimal set should either be a specially defensive set with 252Hp 252SDef with an impish Nature (gives you enough of a boost for Defense) since there really won't be much difference in defence if invested since his defense is so high already (around 3-4% difference). Whereas if you invest in SDef you can get up to 20% increase in Special Defense which would really help you handle a number of mixed attackers far better. Either that or a tank set with 252Hp 252Atk with adamant/impish Nature.

Stealth Rock
Iron Head

Stealth Rock
Iron Head
EQ
Dragon Tail

?

Looks good, except change the EV's. Def EV's are pretty useless with his incredibly high defense, but SpDef EV's are greatly appreciated. If he is in normal form, even if he resists the special attack, he still is a 1-2hko. Also, what item are you running?

Anyone tried Assault Vest Aggron? I've tried it in UU but not sure if it could work in OU. Anyway, under Sand this Aggron can take any special hit that is not Fighting or Ground.

Aggron @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SDef / 156 HP / 100 Atk
Careful Nature
- Head Smash
- Fire Punch
- Outrage
- Iron Head

Not sure how viable he is in OU but I think I'l have to try him out.

I did, but it was way back in October when it tried it out. Now that you mention it, I want to try it again, but in UU first. Aggron's movepool is so huge and its defense is so high it should be a natural fit. Outrage doesn't seem like the greatest option for it though. Earthquake and Ice Punch are good coverage moves for it and Thunderpunch can get rid of some bulky waters.

Aggron @ Aggronite
EVs: 252 atk/ 98 def/ 160 sdef
Sassy Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

I use this for doubles as my lead with a specially defensive, timid Togekiss with tailwind and I have an assault vested Chandelure with Flashfire just for the WoWs and incoming Charizard Y Fire Blast. And I dont know the calc but, I was able to tank a STAB boosted Aura Sphere from a Mega Mewtwo X with about 20% health left.

Last edited:
Considering testing out a Mega Aggron as a physically defensive mon that can dish out a bit of damage itself.

Wondering what my nature/EV spread combo should be? From reading the thread Def EV's don't add much so...

Should I go Impish or Adamant on, 252 HP/ 252 Att/ 4 Def?

Considering testing out a Mega Aggron as a physically defensive mon that can dish out a bit of damage itself.

Wondering what my nature/EV spread combo should be? From reading the thread Def EV's don't add much so...

Should I go Impish or Adamant on, 252 HP/ 252 Att/ 4 Def?
You get a bigger stat increase from Impish than Adamant, even with 252/4 investment in attack and defense, so I'd go with that.

I did, but it was way back in October when it tried it out. Now that you mention it, I want to try it again, but in UU first. Aggron's movepool is so huge and its defense is so high it should be a natural fit. Outrage doesn't seem like the greatest option for it though. Earthquake and Ice Punch are good coverage moves for it and Thunderpunch can get rid of some bulky waters.
The reason I went for outrage is that I already have Rhydon and Hippowdon with stabbing Earthquake and I want something to powerful hit Dragons with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)