move 1: Psychic
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Grass Knot / Signal Beam
item: Expert Belt
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Alakazam may not possess an amazing movepool like Azelf or great immunities like Gengar, it does have more than enough to work with, and as far as stats go, the highest Special Attack of any non-Uber and one of the highest Speed stats. Alakazam makes a commendable anti-lead with its varied type coverage. Psychic will OHKO enemy Machamp leads, removing an extremely dangerous threat early on. Focus Blast pulverizes Heatran and Tyranitar, and will OHKO both if they lack significant Hit Point or Special Defense investment. Hidden Power Fire provides a clean 2HKO on Jirachi and Metagross, although it is better to switch out against these threats as their physical attacks will do heavy damage. Skarmory can set up on both of these Pokemon with ease and force them out. Grass Knot easily OHKOes Swampert and has a fair chance to do the same to Starmie. It will also 2HKO most Tyranitar, so if they are at low enough health you don't need to risk Focus Blast missing to get the knock out. Signal Beam is useful against Azelf lead, but oftentimes you are better off switching to a Heatran or Rotom-A, as many Azelf carry U-turn.</p>

<p>Alakazam also makes a great late game finisher. While it cannot switch in on its own, you can bring it in when one of your Pokemon dies, leaving Alakazam unscathed. Psychic is your main weapon, 2HKOing nearly every Pokemon it hits for neutral damage. Use Hidden Power Fire on the switch to catch incoming Jirachi and Scizor off guard. If you are stuck against a Scizor, be sure to analyze your opponents mindset. If you've only used one move, they might think you've got a Choice Specs and go for the Pursuit. If you've revealed your varied type coverage they probably won't risk you OHKOing them with Hidden Power Fire, allowing you to switch out safely as they Bullet Punch. Grass Knot 2HKOs Suicune but falls short against Vaporeon. Signal Beam is extremely useful against Celebi and other Psychic-types, so the choice depends on what your team can handle.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Expert Belt is the preferred item as it doesn't deter from Alakazam's health like Life Orb, and also poses as the more common Choice Specs set. Life Orb does have its merits however, namely allowing you to OHKO Salamence after Stealth Rock. Your ability is also up for debate; while Synchronize can cripple a Pokemon every now and then, Inner Focus allows you to beat Fake Out Infernape leads.</p>

<p>Blissey is, as usual, Alakazam's greatest enemy, sponging even Focus Blast. Psychic-types not weak to one of Alakazam's attacks, also do exceptionally well at countering it. Tyranitar can solve both these problems and smack them hard with Pursuit as they switch. Most of the time they will be killed next time they try to counter Alakazam. Scizor also works well, albeit with a less powerful Pursuit. Calm Mind Jirachi, Suicune, and Celebi (if you lack Signal Beam) are all very problematic once they get a Calm Mind under their belt. Specially Defensive Skarmory can counter and Whirlwind these Pokemon away, although it takes a heavy hit in the process. Heatran counters Celebi that lack Earth Power, as well as Jirachi. Shaymin or Celebi should take care of Suicune. A fast physical attacker is helpful in finishing these Pokemon off, and Salamence fits the bill perfectly.</p>

<p>If you are terribly worried about Scizor, Magnezone is your best friend. Magnezone also counters Jirachi for you, and if its got a Choice Scarf, can switch in as Lucario tries to use ExtremeSpeed on Alakazam and defeat it. Entry hazards are all but necessary if you wish to sweep with Alakazam. Stealth Rock can be set up by Swampert, who also counters Metagross well. Spikes are best left to Skarmory or Forretress; both of whom can absorb many physical attacks aimed at Alakazam.</p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looks cool, but you don't have an ability listed. When using this as a lead, I would personally always use Inner Focus to beat shit like Infernape leads or whatever, but Synchronize definitely works for bouncing back status or whatever. So yeah, when you list an ability, I would list both, probably with Inner Focus > Synchronize

[SET]
name: All Out Attacker
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Grass Knot / Signal Beam
item: Expert Belt
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

I would think (Prior to testing) that Hidden Power ice would be nice to stop scarfgon, or random other Flygon/Dragonite.

Alakazam isn't an overused pokemon because of his bad typing, absolutely paper thin defenses and lack of priority moves. That was why Alakazam got demoted from ou and it was a set pretty much like this. Sorry to say but I question this set usability because it will be hard pressed to survive if say scizor came in. Also even though I disagree with this set life orb completely outclasses expert belt as an item as its frail anyway so you need as much power as possible and alakazam won't even hit a whole lot for super effective damage.

Oh another Alakazam set? I hate to say it, but this set is even inferior to the other Substitute set I half said no to. Sets on Pokemon like Alakazam need Protect to help versus the most common Pokemon in the game IMO. I can't see this being all too effective in the OU metagame where people pack tons of Scarf Pokemon or Priority users, or Dragon Dances who this can't come in on, or Calm Minders who can set up on this, or Blissey. This set gets a no from me.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It gets a no from me. I have been testing this lead for a bit and whereas you get a surprise kill on Swampert and Hippowdon leads sometimes (yes sometimes because smart people tend to fear either Energy Ball or GK and withdraw) it is an easy Pokemon to revenge kill. CSFlygon, CSJirachi, priority moves, and opposing leads such as Aerodactyl, Azelf and Roserade have no problems to deal with this Alakazam at the beginning of the game. In short, I think the proposed set is fairly unreliable for leading in Overused.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh another Alakazam set? I hate to say it, but this set is even inferior to the other Substitute set I half said no to. Sets on Pokemon like Alakazam need Protect to help versus the most common Pokemon in the game IMO. I can't see this being all too effective in the OU metagame where people pack tons of Scarf Pokemon or Priority users, or Dragon Dances who this can't come in on, or Calm Minders who can set up on this, or Blissey. This set gets a no from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)