Almost Any Ability XY Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of sets that I feel are viable, that I would like to share.

First off is my FlinchLax set. It can come in at the right time and screw a lot of strategies up. This set makes good use of Snorlax's natural bulk and has stall written all over it. With precise timing it shuts down most Weaviles. Watch out for the Low Kick and you are good to go! Definitely RAGEQUIT worthy. I believe this set could sneak Snorlax in to at least Mid C rank or even higher. Being able to paralyze and flinch to faint anything without a ghost typing comes in handy.

FlinchLax (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Atk / 100 Def
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Body Slam
- Headbutt

The other set I would like to share is my Gengar set. This thing is a serious wall breaker, has amazing coverage and power, and even Blissey will be switching out in fear of the amazing sheer force of this set's Sludge Bomb. I call this set: Hits Like Truck.

Hits Like Truck (Gengar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

I think Gengar could move up a rank, considering it will 3HKO most Blissey variants off the boost from Sheer Force + Life orb combo with just Sludge Bomb alone, not considering Wish + Lefties.
It out speeds a lot of of High A ranks and OHKO's or 2HKO's.

I run a modest nature because I use it in tandem with Sticky Web. Without Web support I would suggest Timid nature.
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 160-188 (22.7 - 26.7%) -- 35.8% chance to 4HKO, wow, such a stallbreaker.

And, really ? you can have the ability you want and you go for a flinchlax set ? Where did your pride go ?

But i definetly think snorlax should be at least B rank.
And suicune should be A or A+, i've seen a lot of people running random water absorb pokemon just for this monster.
And the best mega in AAA is gyarados imo, you can run illusion to have maybe 1 or two dragon dance because of the switches you'll provoke, volt absorb for easyer set up or magic bounce so that nobody whirlwinds youout or twave/toxics you. And when you mega, you get mold breaker, so you don't give a single crap about water absorb/levitate or the popular unaware.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
That Gengar Set needs taunt to be viable to eliminate the uncommon blobs (yes i went there), and other really sturdy special walls. Just running taunt over something would be helpful.

xJownage

Im honestly surprised Weavile is ranked so high in this tier, when Tough Claws Metagross destroys it with Priority Bullet Punch while resisting both common forms of priority from Weavile.
Its its ability to wallbreak pretty well. Its refrigerate returns hit very hard, and its knock offs cripple switch ins and still hit extremely hard as well. That being said, I really feel like S is thoroughly overvalued as it may be more from a stall players perspective than an offensive players perspective.

Regirock for B+ rank, or maybe A-

One of the biggest problems with regirock in standard play is the absence of reliable recovery. With that fixed through Regenerator, it has become one of those things that is annoyingly difficult to take down, with 80/200/100 defenses boosted by assault vest gives it insane bulk (not to mention some people even run sand with it for 2.25X spDef). A 100 Base attack stat is not too shoddy, and with quakeslide coverage along with ice punch for grass and dragon types, the power of this thing can often surprise. It's one of the biggest pains for offense to deal with, especially if said offense does not carry a tough claws + fighting type physical attacker.

I think the one thing holding Regirock back from A or even A+ are a) its awful typing; weak to water, ground, and fighting, three very common attacking types. It also pretty much has 1 very good set (assault vest + regen/sand stream), which makes regirock incredibly predictable. Still, even though I don't play stall/bulky offense, I know it's an important part on said teams, and it deserves a ranking.

Im honestly surprised Weavile is ranked so high in this tier, when Tough Claws Metagross destroys it with Priority Bullet Punch while resisting both common forms of priority from Weavile.
Because every team has a tough claws metagross...
Weavile is ranked so high because if you didn't think "how do i deal with him" when making your team, it can pretty much steamroll through all your pokemon

Suicune should be A rank at least.
And what is cresselia doing in S rank ? I never had trouble with him and i did run PH cresselia once and it really isn't that good.

xJownage

unaware cress with 120/120/130 bulk walls every setup sweeper that doesn't have mold breaker or really strong super effective coverage, and it gets stuff like dual screens and lunar dance for team support.

But what can it do to said sweeper, Twave, that's all. It's easily worn down by toxic, takes a load of damage from knock off wich is really common, and it's role is minor in a team. Because of unaware there usualy isn't much setup sweeper in AAA (exept suicune) but suicune still wins vs cress because it can roar it out.
It may be good at what it does, but that's just a minor role. So definetly not S rank.

xJownage

But what can it do to said sweeper, Twave, that's all. It's easily worn down by toxic, takes a load of damage from knock off wich is really common, and it's role is minor in a team. Because of unaware there usualy isn't much setup sweeper in AAA (exept suicune) but suicune still wins vs cress because it can roar it out.
It may be good at what it does, but that's just a minor role. So definetly not S rank.
t-wave, toxic, w/e. It still wins. It can provide great team support as well, as the support light screen, reflect, and lunar dance in combo can provide is great for letting a mold breaker set up to sweep. Knock off is common, sure, but predictable, definitely. Every good stall team has somebody to tank knock offs, as does offensive teams, so if you try to stay in on a knock off with cress you are just stupid unless you want to immediately lunar dance.

Team Support is definitely not a minor role in AAA in case you didn't know. Otherwise you arent that good at AAA IMO.

I'm not really arguing that its not S-rank, I am arguing that you aren't really using common sense, and that it definitely outclasses every other pokemon in its very significant and important role.

t-wave, toxic, w/e. It still wins. It can provide great team support as well, as the support light screen, reflect, and lunar dance in combo can provide is great for letting a mold breaker set up to sweep. Knock off is common, sure, but predictable, definitely. Every good stall team has somebody to tank knock offs, as does offensive teams, so if you try to stay in on a knock off with cress you are just stupid unless you want to immediately lunar dance.

Team Support is definitely not a minor role in AAA in case you didn't know. Otherwise you arent that good at AAA IMO.

I'm not really arguing that its not S-rank, I am arguing that you aren't really using common sense, and that it definitely outclasses every other pokemon in its very significant and important role.
OK, well explain, i agree

What do you think about suicune tho ?

speaking of suicune, I've been gone for awhile, what are the optimal sets you've found? I've only tried CroCune Variants, one with Unaware and one with Serene Grace.

The only other really good cune set is PH, which had an easier time pivoting in and out, is harder to wear down and immune to status. Also, not relying on restalk is nice. The only downsides are it can't switch in or wall set up sweepers, plus is overly reliant on its orb, meaning switching into knock off or status can leave you without recovery. Running it on the same team as heal bell can be iffy too, as healing the rest of your team can cripple it.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
The only other really good cune set is PH, which had an easier time pivoting in and out, is harder to wear down and immune to status. Also, not relying on restalk is nice. The only downsides are it can't switch in or wall set up sweepers, plus is overly reliant on its orb, meaning switching into knock off or status can leave you without recovery. Running it on the same team as heal bell can be iffy too, as healing the rest of your team can cripple it.
I have to disagree. Unaware Crocune is a monster. You have to hit it hard, fast, and relentlessly or it will sweep.

I have to disagree. Unaware Crocune is a monster. You have to hit it hard, fast, and relentlessly or it will sweep.
Oh, I'm not denying that unaware cune is monster, I'm just saying it has other options. For instance:

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 244-289 (60.3 - 71.5%)
4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. -2 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 348-410 (107.7 - 126.9%

With protect and poison heal, Suicune can actually switch in and beat adaptability Terrakion, a feat which Unaware cannot accomplish.

Cresselia:
Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Moonblast
- Psyshock

Cresselia (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

Mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog/taunt
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off/taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock/knock off
- Taunt
- Soft-Boiled

Mew @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam/Dazzling Gleam/Flamethrower/etc

Suicune:
Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Suicune @ Toxic Orb
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Roar
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Victini:
Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Inferno
- Focus Blast
- Thunder
- V-create

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Blue Flare
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike

Weavile:
Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack/Feint
- Knock Off
- Frustration/Return/Double Edge
- Low Kick/Swords Dance/Pursuit

Voila. I can do the lower tier lists too, but A) They're huge B) Dunno if it's wanted. Added Suicune because I've actually played AAA. Aye, I've probably used some sub-par sets and missed some good ones, but hey. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Cresselia:
Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Moonblast
- Psyshock

Cresselia (F) @ Toxic Orb
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

Mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog/taunt
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off/taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock/knock off
- Taunt
- Soft-Boiled

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam/Dazzling Gleam/Flamethrower/etc

Suicune:
Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Suicune @ Toxic Orb
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Roar
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Victini:
Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Inferno
- Focus Blast
- Thunder
- V-create

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Blue Flare
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike

Weavile:
Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Frustration
- Low Kick/Swords Dance

Voila. I can do the lower tier lists too, but A) They're huge B) Dunno if it's wanted. Added Suicune because I've actually played AAA. Aye, I've probably used some sub-par sets and missed some good ones, but hey. Enjoy!
You da real MVP

What would be the recommended sets for Stall players such as myself? I currently run an Intimidate Zapdos, which I find to be excellent, but I get a little stuck in other areas. Ideal sets for Chansey? Prankster isn't bad, I've found, but I feel as though other options are available. I've faced a Magic Bounce Chansey which really gave me trouble, although lately I've been crunched for time and haven't gotten an opportunity to really test it out though. I've got some ideas, don't know how effective they would be, though -- Magic Guard? Unaware? Regenerator (sounds tempting in theory but how would it really be in practice? Sounds like a hugely buffed Alomomola...)? Filter? Multiscale? So many options to try...

Last edited:

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
sorry for not saying much but just nitpicking:

fake out weavile is rlly getting bad: I mean the sets I've been runnign are frustration/return/double edge - pursuit/swords dance/low kick - knock off - quick attack/feint

also you should slash life orb on nasty plot mew

I'm probably going to do something similar when I revamp this- just be sure to look out anywhere from 1 day to 8 days

Yeah, fake out is a relic from the Dnite era. That's about the last time I used weavile. Tbh, with aerilate gone, it's kinda outclassed by adaptability bisharp as a knock off user/stallbreaker. Anyway, changes made.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Yeah, fake out is a relic from the Dnite era. That's about the last time I used weavile. Tbh, with aerilate gone, it's kinda outclassed by adaptability bisharp as a knock off user/stallbreaker. Anyway, changes made.
Not really, the speed differentiates it a lot. Both are clearly S rank but they work in different ways- Bisharp plays deadly mindgames while Weavile just pressures foes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)