Alphability ORAS [Check Post #232]

DoW

formally Death on Wings
config/formats.js
Code:
    {
        name: "Alphability",
        desc: [
            "Pokémon can use any ability that starts with the same letter as their species.",
            "&bullet; <a href=\"http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/alphability-oras-check-post-232.3505582/\"Alphability</a>"
        ],
        section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Baton Pass Clause', 'Swagger Clause', 'Team Preview'],
        banlist: ['Ignore Illegal Abilities',
            'Aegislash', 'Arceus', 'Archeops', 'Darkrai', 'Deoxys', 'Deoxys-Attack', 'Dialga', 'Giratina', 'Giratina-Origin', 'Groudon',
            'Ho-Oh', 'Hoopa-Unbound', 'Kyogre', 'Kyurem-White', 'Lugia', 'Mewtwo', 'Palkia', 'Rayquaza', 'Regigigas', 'Reshiram',
            'Shedinja', 'Slaking', 'Xerneas', 'Yveltal', 'Zekrom',
            'Blazikenite', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite', 'Mawilite', 'Salamencite', 'Soul Dew',
        ],
        onValidateSet: function (set) {
            var bannedAbilities = {'Arena Trap': 1, 'Fur Coat': 1, 'Huge Power': 1, 'Parental Bond': 1, 'Pure Power': 1, 'Shadow Tag': 1, 'Simple': 1, 'Speed Boost': 1, 'Wonder Guard': 1};
            if (set.ability in bannedAbilities) return ["The ability '" + set.ability + "' is banned."];
            var letter = Tools.getString(set.species || set.name)[0];
            if (Tools.getString(set.ability)[0] !== letter) return ["Pok&eacute;mon must share the same first letter as their ability."];
            if ((set.species || set.name) === 'Shaymin-Sky' && set.ability === 'Serene Grace') return ["The ability Serene Grace is banned on Shaymin-Sky."];
        }
    },

Alternate code as currently hosted on ROM:
Code:
	{
		name: "Alphability",
		desc: [
			"Pok&eacute;mon may use any ability that starts with the same letter as their species, barring the few that are banned.",
			"&bullet; <a href=\"https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3505582/\">Alphability</a>",
		],
		section: "Other Metagames",

searchShow: false,
		ruleset: ['OU'],
		banlist: [
			'Archeops', 'Regigigas', 'Shedinja', 'Slaking',
			'Arena Trap', 'Fur Coat', 'Huge Power', 'Parental Bond',
			'Pure Power', 'Shadow Tag', 'Simple', 'Speed Boost', 'Wonder Guard',
			'Serene Grace + Shaymin-Sky',
		],
		validateSet: function (set, teamHas) {
			if (!this.validateSet(set, teamHas).length) return [];
			let template = this.tools.getTemplate(set.species);
			template = Object.assign({}, template);
			template.abilities = Object.keys(this.tools.data.Abilities).filter(id => id[0] == template.id[0]).map(id => this.tools.data.Abilities[id].name);
			return this.validateSet(set, teamHas, template);
		},
	},
I'm not sure this works with mega evolutions in which case you'll need to select the base and mega stone manually.

Weird, probably crappy idea, but I thought about an anti-meta Pokémon and this was what I came up with:-

Parasect @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Attack / 252 Speed
- Worry Seed
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off/Pursuit

The key part of this set is Worry Seed; in a meta in which almost everyone works with some sort of priority and with cool abilities, the ability to shut them down works really well. Prankster Spore is also a nice touch, as is Prankster Leech Seed. Last slot is just so you're not Taunt bait. What do people think? =]

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here are some nice mons

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake / Superpower
- Poison Jab

Step one. Set up Dragon Dance. Sweep.

+1 252 Atk Hustle Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 161-190 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Neutral nature with no boosting item.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Trick

STAB Boltbeam? Sign me up.

Genesect @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Shift Gear

So it might not be the best mon and I don't know whether it is legal due to E-Speed and Shift Gear being Event only moves.

Also how do Egg and Event moves factor in this meta? For example could I use Aura Sphere Raikou with a Rash Nature and Regenerator (common in ABCAB personally I preferred Refrigerate E-Speed) and (edit forgot to finish the sentence) Defog and Play Rough on a Skuntank with Serene Grace

Edit 2: Also Regenerator may need to be suspected (although I doubt it) as some very bulky mons gain access to it such as the Regi's (who don't care about Clear Body) Rotom's (which miss Levitate but it can be more helpful) and Roserade (more offensive Amoongus)

Last edited:
So it might not be the best mon and I don't know whether it is legal due to E-Speed and Shift Gear being Event only moves.
But they're the same event, so that's OK.

Also how do Egg and Event moves factor in this meta? For example could I use Aura Sphere Raikou with a Rash Nature and Regenerator (common in ABCAB personally I preferred Refrigerate E-Speed) and (edit forgot to finish the sentence) Defog and Play Rough on a Skuntank with Serene Grace
At least on my implementation on rom.psim.us, the validator still says Defog and Play Rough are incompatible, but it doesn't complain about anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)