Amoonguss UPLOAD ME PLS <3 <3 <3

A spread of Calm ; 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpDef with more than likely give you the most bang for your buck on Standard Amoongus.

That's all I had to add.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Nothing in this analysis should be bolded

it's checks and counters

Make sure your headings ([set comments]), for example, are correct and capitalized correctly (they're not)

Chinchou

Banned deucer.
I edited it to what you said Tehy :) (sorry it took awhile, today was my first day of schools :P)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
You can post it in the GP queue, but first I'd like to see you fix the following things:

-Amoonguss isn't a 'versatile' Pokemon, it has an important niche. The wording in the first sentence needs fixed.
-Amoong should never be running Calm (except on a tailwind team which I'll address later)
-Amoong's standard EV spread should be 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD Sassy (survives Metagross ZHB and Heatran Eruption).
-Protect on Amoong works differently than on most other Pokemon: it should really only be used if you know your opponent is going to double target you or to block Fake Out. Fix that in Set Comments.
-Remove first two paragraphs of AC and mention what the EVs I provided actually do.
-Don't say "252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD," just mention that Amoonguss's EVs are highly customizable depending on what hits your team needs it to take.
-Effect Spore isn't less useful; it's super useful, but less reliable (only activating 30% of the time on contact moves is meh)
-Team Options has been simply another paragraph in AC since like 2011 :p
-Good partners for amoonguss are those that aren't weak to any of the common spread moves (Blizzard, EQ, Rock Slide, Heat Wave, or Muddy Water) (so rock types kinda suck for partner with amoonguss actually)
-Counters section is good, but it needs to be renamed "Checks and Counters"

Don't let all this criticism discourage you, you're actually doing quite well for a first analysis. However, next time I'd caution you to be a bit more comfortable with the Pokemon you're writing about
You seem to have missed my comments due to page break, so i'm reposting them (also, don't use blank's spread, i'm pretty sure he got it from Amoonguss's RU analysis and EVing to survive Flying Gem Sceptile Acrobatics is retarded in Doubles)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
actually it's alright since amoonguss needs enough def to live meta's zen headbutt and some latios psyshocks.
64 def does that, which is the spread i suggested in my revisions. The other 24 def are for sceptile flying gem acro, which is not something relevant?

I am acutally happy with the work :) I am gonna leave it unless a GP says to change it :)
.-. thats not really how qc recommendations work

Chinchou

Banned deucer.
64 def does that, which is the spread i suggested in my revisions. The other 24 def are for sceptile flying gem acro, which is not something relevant?

.-. thats not really how qc recommendations work
So your suggestion is to shift 24 EV's in Defense to Special Defense?

A spread of Calm ; 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpDef with more than likely give you the most bang for your buck on Standard Amoongus.

That's all I had to add.
I posted the wrong spread on accident.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 212 HP / 108 Def / 188 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Giga Drain

• 252+ SpA Dragon Gem Latios Draco Meteor vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 333-393 (78.9 - 93.12%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Psyshock will OHKO though)
  • 252+ Atk Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 212 HP / 108 Def Amoonguss: 344-408 (81.51 - 96.68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Volcarona Heat Wave vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 326-386 (77.25 - 91.46%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (In Sun it kills, in Rain, it becomes a 3HKO)
  • 252+ SpA Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 302-356 (71.56 - 84.36%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

sorry for the confusion.

Chinchou

Banned deucer.
Yes, but also to change all the parts in the write-up which i asked you to, to better reflect how amoonguss works in the metagame
Added ^.^ But, I disagree with a few of your points, so I added what I felt was necessary :)
I posted the wrong spread on accident.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 212 HP / 108 Def / 188 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Giga Drain

• 252+ SpA Dragon Gem Latios Draco Meteor vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 333-393 (78.9 - 93.12%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Psyshock will OHKO though)
  • 252+ Atk Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 212 HP / 108 Def Amoonguss: 344-408 (81.51 - 96.68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Volcarona Heat Wave vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 326-386 (77.25 - 91.46%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (In Sun it kills, in Rain, it becomes a 3HKO)
  • 252+ SpA Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 302-356 (71.56 - 84.36%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

sorry for the confusion.
So should I post this as an entirely new set, or what?

Added ^.^ But, I disagree with a few of your points, so I added what I felt was necessary :)

So should I post this as an entirely new set, or what?
I was just correcting the set I posted. It's a modified version of Amoongus' Standard VGC set.

You can do with it what you'd like.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This isn't really how it works. Pwnemon is a member of the QC team (and it's not randomly picked or anything, it's because he knows what he's talking about) so when he says something should be changed, you should probably listen to him (especially since you don't have all that much Doubles experience). If you disagree with one of his thoughts, discuss it with him here, don't just take an executive decision on what should and shouldn't be changed. Thanks :)

tehy

Banned deucer.
amcheck here

Eggy was probably right but oh well. Pay attention to my Pokegrammar changes (Capitalizations and such) and learn from them. And also read the spelling and grammar standards when you have time, please

I did something interesting in the beginning of the overview-it makes WAY more sense the way I rewrote it, although the sentence about Spore is something you'll need to write yourself if you go with my edit. You'll need to decide if my change is any good or not, since I can't really make such judgements, so I encourage you to look at what I did and decide for yourself if you are in favor of it or not.

The Giga Drain set needs rewriting, it's pretty bad. The way I did it is all right, but perhaps you should make an attempt to do it yourself instead.

You need to introduce the damage calculations in some way, you've just kind of thrown them in there, and while they're impressive, it's a bit of a random throw-in that comes out of nowhere.

'team options' does not exist as a section.

I replaced After You with Rain Dance in OO. Really, what is Amoonguss going to do with After You? You need to have a Pokemon slower than amoonguss and for the opponent to have one slower than amoonguss, but faster than your pokemon, and even then, just spore or Rage Powder or something.

Edit:Well, my amcheck may have been partly in vain then. Hopefully you can make some use of it once you're done
[Overview]

<p> Amoonguss is a has a very important niche in the dDoubles metagame, as it has access to the coveted Spore. But, emoven more than Spore, Amoonguss is best known for access to the rare Rage Powder move, which allows your partner to do a plethora of things! F, from switching, to setting up, or just outright attacking the opponent, without worry of being KO'd before they can attack. It also has access to Spore. Amoonguss' typing also provides many chances for it to absorb attacks, being resistant to ever-common Fighting-Types and Water-Ttypes. Sadly, the sunshine and roses end there. Amoonguss' offenses are mediocre at best, and will almost always rely on status moves, meaning it is total tTaunt bait. On top of all this, it is weak to common spread moves such as Heat Wave and Blizzard. Overall though, Amoonguss serves it's role quite nicely,; a sturdy Pokemon that can allow it's partner to run rampant!</p>

[SET]
name: Rage Powder
move 1: Rage Powder
move 2: Spore
move 3: Protect
move 4: Giga Drain
item: Sitrus Berry / Mental Herb
ability: Regenerator
nature: Sassy
evs: 212 HP / 108 Defense / 188 Special Defense
ivs: 0 Speed

[set commentsSET COMMENTS]

<p>This set allows Amoonguss to take full advantage of its unique moveset. Rage Powder lets Amoonguss divert attacks from your teammate, whether to let it deal some damage, ensure a safe switch, or allow it to set up unscathed. Spore completely stops one of the opponent's Pokemon for a few turns, allowing you to focus on the other Pokemon instead. Protect is useful for if your partner is using a spread move, as it allows the spread move to hit all ofonly the opponent's team. Protect also allows you to scout what moves your opponent will use, and stops Fake Out. In the final moveslot we have Giga Drain. Giga Drain does provides extra recovery, buand although it witon't be doing much damage due to Amoonguss' mediocre Sspecial Aattack, it will not be doing much at all, however it does allowdoes stop Amoonguss to notfrom becomeing total tTaunt bait.</p>

[additional commentsADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>A Sassy nature is useful on tTrick rRoom teams and also for countering other tTrick rRoom teams. The EV's given allow Amoonguss to survive several Draco Meteors before diefainting. An alternative spread of 252 Defense / 252 HP / 4 Special Defense can also be used if your team is in need of a good Pphysical Wwall. The item is a toss-up as well; Sitrus Berry is usually preferred for the quick recovery, but Mental Herb, while usually situational, can be used for a guaranteed Spore. If you really want an unreliable ability you can use Effect Spore over Regenerator, but it is nowhere near as reliable.</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>252+ SpA Dragon Gem Latios Draco Meteor vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 333-393 (78.9 - 93.12%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Psyshock will OHKO though)</li>
<li>252+ Atk Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 212 HP / 108 Def Amoonguss: 344-408 (81.51 - 96.68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
252+ SpA Volcarona Heat Wave
<li>252+ SpA Volcarona Heat Wave vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 326-386 (77.25 - 91.46%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (In Sun it kills, in Rain, it becomes a 3HKO)</li>
<li>252+ SpA Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 302-356 (71.56 - 84.36%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li></ul>

[team options]

<p> Good partners for Amoonguss are usually Pokemon that are not weak to moves spread moves. Arguably the best partner in existence for Amoonguss is Jellicent. Jellicent, which can set up Trick Room for the team on the turn youas Amoonguss uses Rage Powder, allowing Jellicent to fire off powerful Water Spouts, and for Amoonguss to put something to sleep with Spore. Other Trick Room users are good partners for Amoonguss too, as they are nearly guaranteed to set it up.</p>

[oOther oOptions]

<p> Amoonguss' movepool is about as big as a kiddy pool. Really, the only other viable moves in Amoonguss' arsenal are Sludge Bomb and Grass Knot, both STAB moves that are more powerful than Giga Drain that are, but not as useful. FA few gimmicky moves can be used such as After YouRain Dance or Sunny Day can be used, but are usually not worth the moveslot.</p>

[cChecks and cCounters]

<p> The number one counter to Amoonguss is undoubtedly Taunt. Taunt, which completely prevents Amoonguss tofrom doing it's job, and renders it useless. Fake Out is another huge one, because since Amoonguss is so slow, Fake Out will always go first and prevent it from using Rage Powder. Spread moves are also a huge thorn in Amoonguss' hside, ignoring the Rage Powder and hitting all Pokemon. Specific Pokemon that counter Amoonguss are powerful Heat Wave users such as Chandelure and Heatran. Also, and pretty much anything with Psyschock, such as Cresselia and Latias.</p>

Comments:
You're not really supposed to have meaningless transition sentences like that in your overview, and since this one isn't flavor-related or good, i cut it. (Amoonguss is a mushroom, so does it even like sunshine?)
I think you forgot the part where Pwnemon said Protect is for double-targeting, although you did say it was for Fake Out.
All of->only, technically not incorrect but clearly not what you were trying to say.
Isn't the point of Effect Spore that, if you're not switching it's better, and it can occasionally status stuff too, which you don't even mention. Saying "if you really want an unreliable ability" is stupid, no one purposely wants luck-based stuff, but they might value a luck-based thing over regenerator specifically because of the luck-based benefits.
Amoonguss is incredibly slow, so I don't think After You is even an OO mention-it's got +0 priority.
At the end, you say specific Pokemon, then actually say a group, so I cut that out and just combined the last two sentences. And the two Taunt sentences, because that was easily done and good as well.

Last edited:

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am acutally happy with the work :) I am gonna leave it unless a GP says to change it :)
First of all, implement the checks, please. Then, when you've done that, read the standards and give your analysis a full edit. Thanks. This is not going to be uploaded before the checks are done. If you fail to implement QC changes, the analysis will be reassigned.

This analysis is now back to 2/3 QC.

Chinchou

Banned deucer.
You seem to have missed my comments due to page break, so i'm reposting them (also, don't use blank's spread, i'm pretty sure he got it from Amoonguss's RU analysis and EVing to survive Flying Gem Sceptile Acrobatics is retarded in Doubles)
I am adding them because I have to, but what fo you mean the first two paragraphs of AC? There is only one.

tehy

Banned deucer.
I'm pretty sure he means 'team options' (which, btw, isn't supposed to be its own section or have a subheading)

Chinchou

Banned deucer.
First of all, implement the checks, please. Then, when you've done that, read the standards and give your analysis a full edit. Thanks. This is not going to be uploaded before the checks are done. If you fail to implement QC changes, the analysis will be reassigned.

This analysis is now back to 2/3 QC.
): I am sorry, I added in the edits he asked me too. I probably made myself look like a fool...

amcheck here

Eggy was probably right but oh well. Pay attention to my Pokegrammar changes (Capitalizations and such) and learn from them. And also read the spelling and grammar standards when you have time, please

I did something interesting in the beginning of the overview-it makes WAY more sense the way I rewrote it, although the sentence about Spore is something you'll need to write yourself if you go with my edit. You'll need to decide if my change is any good or not, since I can't really make such judgements, so I encourage you to look at what I did and decide for yourself if you are in favor of it or not.

The Giga Drain set needs rewriting, it's pretty bad. The way I did it is all right, but perhaps you should make an attempt to do it yourself instead.

You need to introduce the damage calculations in some way, you've just kind of thrown them in there, and while they're impressive, it's a bit of a random throw-in that comes out of nowhere.

'team options' does not exist as a section.

I replaced After You with Rain Dance in OO. Really, what is Amoonguss going to do with After You? You need to have a Pokemon slower than amoonguss and for the opponent to have one slower than amoonguss, but faster than your pokemon, and even then, just spore or Rage Powder or something.

Edit:Well, my amcheck may have been partly in vain then. Hopefully you can make some use of it once you're done
[Overview]

<p> Amoonguss is a has a very important niche in the dDoubles metagame, as it has access to the coveted Spore. But, emoven more than Spore, Amoonguss is best known for access to the rare Rage Powder move, which allows your partner to do a plethora of things! F, from switching, to setting up, or just outright attacking the opponent, without worry of being KO'd before they can attack. It also has access to Spore. Amoonguss' typing also provides many chances for it to absorb attacks, being resistant to ever-common Fighting-Types and Water-Ttypes. Sadly, the sunshine and roses end there. Amoonguss' offenses are mediocre at best, and will almost always rely on status moves, meaning it is total tTaunt bait. On top of all this, it is weak to common spread moves such as Heat Wave and Blizzard. Overall though, Amoonguss serves it's role quite nicely,; a sturdy Pokemon that can allow it's partner to run rampant!</p>

[SET]
name: Rage Powder
move 1: Rage Powder
move 2: Spore
move 3: Protect
move 4: Giga Drain
item: Sitrus Berry / Mental Herb
ability: Regenerator
nature: Sassy
evs: 212 HP / 108 Defense / 188 Special Defense
ivs: 0 Speed

[set commentsSET COMMENTS]

<p>This set allows Amoonguss to take full advantage of its unique moveset. Rage Powder lets Amoonguss divert attacks from your teammate, whether to let it deal some damage, ensure a safe switch, or allow it to set up unscathed. Spore completely stops one of the opponent's Pokemon for a few turns, allowing you to focus on the other Pokemon instead. Protect is useful for if your partner is using a spread move, as it allows the spread move to hit all ofonly the opponent's team. Protect also allows you to scout what moves your opponent will use, and stops Fake Out. In the final moveslot we have Giga Drain. Giga Drain does provides extra recovery, buand although it witon't be doing much damage due to Amoonguss' mediocre Sspecial Aattack, it will not be doing much at all, however it does allowdoes stop Amoonguss to notfrom becomeing total tTaunt bait.</p>

[additional commentsADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>A Sassy nature is useful on tTrick rRoom teams and also for countering other tTrick rRoom teams. The EV's given allow Amoonguss to survive several Draco Meteors before diefainting. An alternative spread of 252 Defense / 252 HP / 4 Special Defense can also be used if your team is in need of a good Pphysical Wwall. The item is a toss-up as well; Sitrus Berry is usually preferred for the quick recovery, but Mental Herb, while usually situational, can be used for a guaranteed Spore. If you really want an unreliable ability you can use Effect Spore over Regenerator, but it is nowhere near as reliable.</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>252+ SpA Dragon Gem Latios Draco Meteor vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 333-393 (78.9 - 93.12%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Psyshock will OHKO though)</li>
<li>252+ Atk Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 212 HP / 108 Def Amoonguss: 344-408 (81.51 - 96.68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li>
252+ SpA Volcarona Heat Wave
<li>252+ SpA Volcarona Heat Wave vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 326-386 (77.25 - 91.46%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (In Sun it kills, in Rain, it becomes a 3HKO)</li>
<li>252+ SpA Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 212 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss: 302-356 (71.56 - 84.36%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</li></ul>
[team options]

<p> Good partners for Amoonguss are usually Pokemon that are not weak to moves spread moves. Arguably the best partner in existence for Amoonguss is Jellicent. Jellicent, which can set up Trick Room for the team on the turn youas Amoonguss uses Rage Powder, allowing Jellicent to fire off powerful Water Spouts, and for Amoonguss to put something to sleep with Spore. Other Trick Room users are good partners for Amoonguss too, as they are nearly guaranteed to set it up.</p>

[oOther oOptions]

<p> Amoonguss' movepool is about as big as a kiddy pool. Really, the only other viable moves in Amoonguss' arsenal are Sludge Bomb and Grass Knot, both STAB moves that are more powerful than Giga Drain that are, but not as useful. FA few gimmicky moves can be used such as After YouRain Dance or Sunny Day can be used, but are usually not worth the moveslot.</p>

[cChecks and cCounters]

<p> The number one counter to Amoonguss is undoubtedly Taunt. Taunt, which completely prevents Amoonguss tofrom doing it's job, and renders it useless. Fake Out is another huge one, because since Amoonguss is so slow, Fake Out will always go first and prevent it from using Rage Powder. Spread moves are also a huge thorn in Amoonguss' hside, ignoring the Rage Powder and hitting all Pokemon. Specific Pokemon that counter Amoonguss are powerful Heat Wave users such as Chandelure and Heatran. Also, and pretty much anything with Psyschock, such as Cresselia and Latias.</p>

Comments:
You're not really supposed to have meaningless transition sentences like that in your overview, and since this one isn't flavor-related or good, i cut it. (Amoonguss is a mushroom, so does it even like sunshine?)
I think you forgot the part where Pwnemon said Protect is for double-targeting, although you did say it was for Fake Out.
All of->only, technically not incorrect but clearly not what you were trying to say.
Isn't the point of Effect Spore that, if you're not switching it's better, and it can occasionally status stuff too, which you don't even mention. Saying "if you really want an unreliable ability" is stupid, no one purposely wants luck-based stuff, but they might value a luck-based thing over regenerator specifically because of the luck-based benefits.
Amoonguss is incredibly slow, so I don't think After You is even an OO mention-it's got +0 priority.
At the end, you say specific Pokemon, then actually say a group, so I cut that out and just combined the last two sentences. And the two Taunt sentences, because that was easily done and good as well.

Ok, I have edited what you wanted in the main thing.

Sorry I have been inactive, school started for me, and it was tough finding time to get on here.

•EVs to survive basically any hit in the game: can take Heatran's non item boosted eruption on the special side and metagross's non item boosted zhb on the physical side (should i tweak to make that an lo zhb?, i'll lose special bulk though)

nah man, i dont think ive ever seen a meta with life orb. psy gem maybe, but not life orb.

in oo you could still mention a few things that dont completely suck. level 99 amoonguss, which is used basically to get the jump on level 100 sassy amoonguss. calm amoonguss doesn't really outspeed anything other than trick room -speed mons, but you could outspeed those outside of trick room and incapacitate them. alternitively, calm 0-30 speed IV amoonguss does the same only it can outspeed calm amoonguss that have the same idea or whatever is in the same speed tier as amoonguss. do some calcs on paralyzed mons and see how slow you can go and still outspeed paralyzed scarftar or something. lum berry along with rage powder's pretty good too since you can redirect status moves and instantly cure yourself of them. sub amoonguss is eh (especially since you're probably overwriting protect), but now you're rage powdering stuff into a sub which is p nice. stun spore/toxic for added status though the acc sucks on both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)