And then...it happened...

Hey

Got the request, solid team man. It seems that you're heading in the right direction if you want to set up for a nasty plot Infernape sweep. To an extent sun teams with offensive Volcarona, Venasaur and Dragonite are really problematic to face. All of them easily set up on Hitmontop who fails to hit them back hard. Volcarona could potentially substitute to avoid the paralyzing, it also gets morning sun which is rare yet very deadly; Dragonite does it's job after Volcarona, brutally damaging your core for Venasaur, which effortlessly cleans up the rest with Solar Beam and Earthquake. To fix this situation, I would highly recommend switching Dragonite to a Choice Band variant. With this change, it not only gives you insurance against Volcarona and Venasaur, Dragonite also clears up path for Infernape to sweep efficiently. The main selling point of this set is ExtremeSpeed which packs more power compared to the previous set, allowing you to take on faster mons with ease. Outrage and Fire Punch are greatly appreciated for the perfect type coverage. For the last slot, Earthquake is an excellent option, decimating Heatran and Tyranitar. Dragon Claw can be useful for avoiding the locked in effect of Outrage while still providing stab, although in many cases, Dragonite will find itself just rather using Outrage in the first place. Dragonite has the ability to weaken many Infernape's primary counters which is really beneficial for late-game sweeping. Removing Stealth Rocks from the field is very crucial for this set to function properly. Hydreigon and Dragonite's unpredictability makes them distinctive to others and a great dual dragon combination. Hydreigon demolishes rain teams where Dragonite covers sun and offensive teams for Infernape.

Dragonite @ Choice Band | Multiscale
Adamant | 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
~ Outrage
~ Extremespeed
~ Fire Punch
~ Earthquake / Dragon Claw

I also second Motagua's suggestion of Physically Defensive Slowbro over Gyarados. Slowbro is extremely bulky because of it's fantastic new ability, incredible bulk and useful defensive typing. In fifth gen, Regenerator gave Slowbro new hope, boosting it's potential effectiveness. With Scald it has a chance of burning the opponent, allowing Slowbro to tank physical attacks even further. Ice Beam is there for hitting Gliscor, Salamence, Dragonite, and Landorus which Gyarados fails to counter properly. Psychic is a viable option over Thunder Wave in the third slot for nailing Conkeldurr, Toxicroak, and Terrakion hard. While Slack Off is a self-explanatory move, increasing Slowbro's durability even further. These EVs provide it maximum physical bulk, which means Slowbro won't be going down any time soon if it is played correctly. For some other minor changes, I would recommend switching Life Orb for Expert Belt on Infernape. EB potentially increases your survivability and allows you to sweep longer with less predictions. Overall brilliant team, Good Luck!

Slowbro @ Leftovers | Regenerator
Bold | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
~ Scald
~ Ice Beam
~ Slack Off
~ Thunder Wave / Psychic

Infernape @ Expert Belt | Blaze
Naive | 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
~ Nasty Plot
~ Close Combat
~ Fire Blast
~ Grass Knot

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have sufficient play experience with that particular Gyarados & Jirachi core, and one of the biggest problem for the core are Water-types, since they resist both Gyarados and Jirachi's STAB moves while the core is threatened by Scald burns or Rain-boosted Hydro Pumps. Nothing in this team enjoys taking a Specs Hydro Pump from Politoed and only Sucker Punch from Hitmontop has a chance of stopping LO Starmie from sweeping this team in the Rain.

Although Infernape complements well with your draconic offense, I have to say it is the most dispensable portion of the team. I would suggest replacing Infernape with Specially Defensive Calm Mind Celebi.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 128 SpA / 96 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass

This set takes 46-55% from LO Starmie, allowing it to take 2 Ice Beams from Starmie most of the time with no Rocks down. The SpA EVs allows Celebi's +0 HP Fire to OHKO Scizor on average with Rocks, as well as an average 2HKO on Skarmory with Rocks, and a 3HKO on standard Ferrothorn with +1 HP Fire in the Rain. The biggest selling point is Baton Pass, which not only allows Celebi to escape from Pursuit, but allows your other team mates to take advantage of the Special Defense and even Special Attack boosts (in Hydreigon's case) of Calm Mind. It does not have Recover, but Jirachi would do a good job keeping Celebi healthy. With Calm Mind, Celebi even has a chance of beating Magnezone after the Charge Beam boosts, allowing you to not lose 2 Pokemon to it. CM Celebi also allows you to combat better against SubCM Jirachi as well, either being able to wear it down on its own or pass the boosts to Hydreigon, whose Substitute wont break from Jirachi's Thunder.

You can certainly try other options over Baton Pass, though, such as Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, or Reflect (or Recover).

I hope this rate was helpful. Have fun with the team, GttB :)

Alot of great suggestions, thanks so much. With two people telling me I should try out slowbro and donphan, I should definately take their advice.

I will also try the choice band dragonite suggestion, and Expert belt on infernape.

Since it was suggested I'll test celebi, but I think I'll stick with infernape. Who knows though!

I'll update the thread once I finish all these awesome suggestions.

Donphan was doing god-awful. I was doomed whenever my opponent had a cloyster on their team. Literally the worst pokemon I've tested for this team. Even when I tried to use him strategically, he just got raped. Sturdy never helped, because he came out when hazards were up. Overall, one of the worst pokemon I've tested.

But slowbro has tested great! Though gyarados did a much better job of paralyzing, slowbro can last forever with his recovering abilities.

The changes for this team are really helping and I'm seeing a good team come together. Just a couple of things I would do to make this team work more efficiently.

Hydreigon and Infernape form a great offensive pair, and Hydreigon can really afford to blast away early game with Jirachi and Slowbro covering it's weaknesses so well, things like Latios and Terrakion can't revenge it at all. I would open up the taps and run Choice Specs with Draco Meteor / Dark Pulse / Focus Blast / Flamethrower, you can afford the spA drop and this lets you punch bigger holes in teams for Infernape to take advantage of.

Between the defenses of your team, and priority with both Hitmontop and Dragonite, I think you won't have to worry about any threats being impossible to handle without small tweaks. The only big problem remaining is Toxic Spikes, because Hitmontop does nothing to ghosts. I second Mostwanted that you should consider Expert Belt on Infernape to prevent residual damage from getting you too quickly, a lot of players tend to try to switch around and wear it down using their resistances so it's a great item choice. Hitmontop doesn't need Sucker Punch because you have Latios very well covered by Jirachi so I would recommend Close Combat in that slot to give you a solid STAB move.

Hopefully this helps, good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)