Animated Movie Viability Ranking Thread

Animated Movie Viability Ranking Thread (thanks ginganinja for the format)

Welcome to the official Animated Movie Viability Rankings topic. You should know the drill by now: In this thread, we as a community will rank every single lots of watchable animated movies into "tiers." In this thread, you're encouraged to post your thoughts and opinions on the various movies that are watchable and animated and what tier they should fall under. It's about time Congregation of the Masses joined in on the action!

The general idea of the topic is to rank each many animated movies under "rankings" that go in descending order. Since this is a general tier list, everything is lumped together. There won't be any segregation between plot-based and musical threats.

• EX: Frozen can be ranked in S tier as an musical threat, Forretress can be ranked under A as supportive threat lol why was this even in the original topic, and Wreck-It Ralph can be can also be ranked in A tier as a plot-based threat. These are just examples.
Note that the overall tier list is in no particular order.

MUST READ
guidelines from Flareblitz said:
...okay. Since it's apparent that everyone will want their "favorites" moved up until nothing exists in any rank below C, I'm going to try to introduce some objectivity into these proceedings.

S Rank: Reserved for movies that can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and movies that can support other movies with very little opportunity cost ("lots of definitely not wasted time"). Also the home of movies who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the movies in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths. If there are suspects, they will come from this rank.

A Rank: Reserved for movies that can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame, but require some support or have some flaws that prevent them from doing this consistently. Animation-based movies in this rank may give opponents free reasons to complain or cannot create lots of definitely not wasted time easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time.

B Rank: Reserved for movies that cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given musical/plot-based niche. Animation-based movies in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous box office successes. Movies that are partially outclassed by a movie in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.

C Rank: Reserved for movies that can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are typically inferior to movies in the above ranks.

D Rank: Reserved for movies that are simply not very effective in the current metagame.
PRELIMINARY Animated Movie Ranking Tier List V1

(Subject to change & in alphabetical order for now!)

S Rank: Reserved for movies that can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and movies that can support other movies with very little opportunity cost ("lots of definitely not wasted time"). Also the home of movies who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the movies in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths. If there are suspects, they will come from this rank.

TBD

A Rank: Reserved for movies that can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame, but require some support or have some flaws that prevent them from doing this consistently. Animation-based movies in this rank may give opponents free reasons to complain or cannot create lots of definitely not wasted time easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time.

A+ Rank

TBD

A Rank

TBD

A- Rank

TBD

B Rank: Reserved for movies that cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given musical/plot-based niche. Animation-based movies in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous box office successes. Movies that are partially outclassed by a movie in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.

B+ Rank

TBD
B Rank

TBD

B- Rank

TBD

C Rank: Reserved for movies that can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are completely eclipsed by a movie in the above ranks.

C+ Rank

TBD

C Rank

TBD

C- Rank

TBD

D Rank: Reserved for movies that have a small niche in the current animated movies metagame, but have very noticeable flaws that make them more trouble then they're worth the majority of the time.

TBD

''CONCLUSION REACHED'' MOVIES: Movies in this list have reached a conclusive ideal ranking, so unless the metagame changes towards them or there is something about them that hasn't been said, discussion about them is disallowed.
  • Rotom-W: The Movie
  • Mega Venusaur: The Movie
  • Quagsire: The Movie
  • Dragonite: The Movie
  • Latios: The Movie
  • Donphan: The Movie

BLACKLISTED MOVIES
  • Arcanine: The Movie
  • Florges: The Movie
  • Donphan: The Movie
Rules
  • Post intelligently. Posts like "I think Movie X should be in this tier" will not not be tolerated.
  • No flaming.
  • Usage statistics may be used to support an argument or a claim, but don't base your ENTIRE argument around them. For example, you can't just say "Movie X shouldn't be this tier because it isn't watched that often!"
  • No talk about editing the OFFICIAL Smogon tier lists.
  • Dummy007 is amazing. This is an undisputed fact.
Happy posting ♪♪

Last edited:
Suggestion: why don't we all post our individual tier lists and see what consensuses we come up with? :) Animated movies don't really translate as well to this concept as well as condiments or Pokémon do. :(
The problem with that is that we would require a standardized list of animated movies for everyone to tier-not everyone has seen the same animated movies.

Feel free to post your own personal tier lists and debate. Only movies that undergo actual discussion will be tiered.

(but Frozen must remain in S tier)

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I must be the only one who doesn't like Iron Giant, though it's 50% oversaturation (fuck you Cartoon Network and those Thanksgiving marathons) and 50% it didn't really have as much as an impact on me as other movies. B tier imo, A tier at best.

For something a little bit less widely known:
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - A/A+ tier
A-tier because it's an excellent quality movie in pretty much every department but not S-tier because even Don Bluth films had happy-ish endings that justified the downer material. This is probably a little too weighty for some because the gist of it is that Batman can never have anything good happen to him but still great. Would highly recommend to those who liked the rest of the DCAU.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Like 4th-gen Electivire, Wreck-It-Ralph manages to be loved by enough people without an ounce of class or taste that it has managed to wiggle its way to the bottom of the OU animated movie list even over a full year after its release. Just as 4th gen players couldn't identify the predictability inherint with the Gyarados-Electivire combo, movie-goers consistently fail to identify the horribly totalitarian morale of the film, along with the near total lack of video game in their video game movie. Just as experienced challenged players couldn't see the statistical averageness of Electivire past its decent attack power, what are clearly young children fail to notice how the climax ripped off the far superior Iron Giant. Finally, just as players somehow forgave Electivire for its lack of a strong physical STAB, movie viewers bafflingly forgive Wreck-It-Ralph for being 90% product placement, and 30% shoe-horned celebrity voices taking jobs from better voice actors.

D Rank at best. I'd recommend an even lower tier frankly.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Incredibles: S end of fuckin story

Iron Giant: It's not 100% flawless enough for an S rank. A+ definitely, though. Same for...

Lego Movie: A; it just lacks that special polish and made some bad humor choices.

The Aristocats: A underrated threat that just needs more recognition. Time will tell how popular it eventually gets but I feel B+ is a good place to put it.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
You could probably just stick a majority of Disney/Pixar movies in A rank, if not S. Same goes for the Miyazaki films.

Last edited:

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Land Before Fucking Time = A Tier

Y'all better not hate on dinosaurs

The Rescuers = S Tier

gg everyone, gg

On lower tier cartoons:

Shrek = C Tier

Anything that is a sequel of said series = D Tier

breh

強いだね
Like 4th-gen Electivire, Wreck-It-Ralph manages to be loved by enough people without an ounce of class or taste that it has managed to wiggle its way to the bottom of the OU animated movie list even over a full year after its release. Just as 4th gen players couldn't identify the predictability inherint with the Gyarados-Electivire combo, movie-goers consistently fail to identify the horribly totalitarian morale of the film, along with the near total lack of video game in their video game movie. Just as experienced challenged players couldn't see the statistical averageness of Electivire past its decent attack power, what are clearly young children fail to notice how the climax ripped off the far superior Iron Giant. Finally, just as players somehow forgave Electivire for its lack of a strong physical STAB, movie viewers bafflingly forgive Wreck-It-Ralph for being 90% product placement, and 30% shoe-horned celebrity voices taking jobs from better voice actors.

D Rank at best. I'd recommend an even lower tier frankly.
I don't think it's D Rank, but it's... kinda missing something, I'll admit. It was good but not all that amazing (at least IMO).

I feel like C+ or B- or something like that is where it should lie.

is japanese animation allowed in this list or are people going to complain

because if it's allowed then most of miyazaki's stuff is easily S tier

Some very underrated threats running around:

Antz: people forget this film, even though IMO it's way better than A Bug's Life. The characters are more fleshed out, the story is more cohesive and the animation is more detailed. Mid-A rank (with A Bug's Life to mid-B because it wasn't Pixar's finest hour.)

The Aristocats: I know this was brought up before, but as a film I must have watched 100 times when I was a child I can't rate this one objectively. The highlight is easily the subplot with Edgar and the dogs ("You're not going to believe this, but it's a one-wheeled haystack" = best line ever.) High-B sounds good to me.

Anastasia: how can you resist the story of the Russian Revolution as told by mice? Low-A.

The Prince of Egypt: visually stunning, but somewhat overlong and the dialogue is a bit clunky: the Avatar of animation. Low-A.

Ice Age: the subplot of the squirrel trying to recover his acorn lifts this otherwise dull film from mediocrity. Low-B, but it would be mid-A or higher if it were just a thirty-minute short about the squirrel.

Chicken Run: how has this one been forgotten? Sure, the jokes might be lost on you if you haven't watched The Great Escape, but who hasn't watched The Great Escape? And actually, I loved this as a kid, way before I was old enough to understand the references. Low-S.

Despicable Me 2: the definition of mid-A rank. It's a total waste of time - but it's an incredibly fun waste of time.

toy story 3 sucks
Toy story 3 almost made me cry manly tears, it definately does not suck.
I think that the lego movie deserves an a+ ranking, here is why. It is a hilarious movie that made me laugh the whole time. It is a very unique movie with a creative plot, even though it uses commonly known figures such as batman and wonder women. However the reason why I don't think it is s material is that it isn't super rememberable. While the jokes are funny they aren't very quotable, unlike something like zoolander. so this movie gets an A+ ranking.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Tangled for A+, Frozen for A+, and Wreck-it Ralph for at least A-. Idk what's up with the douchey sounding GyaraVire analogy, but if you really wanted a Pokemon simile I'd say it's like Geomancy Xerneas - a bit overrated but still excellent. Despicable Me and its sequel definitely deserve at least A- as well because they were excellent/very enjoyable to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)