--------------
QC Approvals (2/2)
-ShinyAzelf
-Elevator Music
QC Rejections (0/2)

GP Checks (0/2)

--------------
[Overview]
<p> Anorith has stats truly becoming a sweeper. It is able to reach 20 attack and 18 speed without any boosts. It has great offensive STAB attacks, but the rest of its offensive movepool is shallow at best. However, it is able to compensate by having a variety of support moves available. Defensively, its typing leaves something to be desired, and it will always be fleeing priority attacks. With the right team support, Anorith has the capability to tear through opposing teams. If you are not afraid of priority, then Anorith is the sweeper for you. </p>

[SET]
name: Fast Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Rock Blast
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Rapid Spin / Knock Off
item: Focus Sash / Evolution Stone
nature: Jolly
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> Anorith’s excellent speed and access to stealth rock and rapid spin makes it one of the best support pokemon for offensive teams. It is able to reach 18 speed with a jolly nature, so it can usually set up stealth rock before the opponent. Rock blast is a great STAB move as it allows Anorith to break the foe’s substitute or focus sash. Brick break has great offensive synergy with rock blast and also allows Anorith to break the opponent’s screens. </p>

<p> The last attack is up to personal preference. Rapid spin allows Anorith to clear the opponent’s hazards, while knock off allows Anorith to severely cripple other pokemon by removing their evolution stone, and thus giving its teammates an easier sweep. Focus sash should be used if Anorith only wants to do one thing, like only set up stealth rock, whereas evolution stone allows Anorith to have bulk and support its team in more than one way. A jolly nature is a must as Anorith wants as much speed as possible. The EVs give Anorith max speed and attack, allowing it to threaten as well as support. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p> When facing a defensive pokemon, Anorith needs to be very careful to avoid a burn, or worse, paralysis. To help this problem, Anorith can run substitute to block statuses and stop Monmen (did it get an English name yet?). An adamant nature is a possible option if you want to be threatening while also setting up stealth rock, but jolly is usually the better option. Conversely, a more defensive EV spread of: 156 HP / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe gives Anorith much more bulk, while only sacrificing attack. </p>

[SET]
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Rock Slide / Rock Blast
move 4: Brick Break
item: Life Orb / Evolution Stone
nature: Adamant

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> For a sweeper, 17 speed is almost a letdown. Fortunately, Anorith has access to rock polish. After a polish, Anorith hits a blazing fast 34 speed, faster than any scarfer in little cup. With all of this speed, Anorith is also able to reach an impressive 20 attack. The choice of rock moves depends on whether you prefer having a constant damage output or enjoy the ability to break substitutes. X-scissor provides bug-type STAB and brick break provides great coverage with rock-type attacks. Life orb can be used if you want to boost Anorith’s already impressive attack, and evolution stone can be used if you want Anorith to survive longer. The leftover EVs are thrown into defense to help Anorith take most priority better. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>If you are more concerned with Anorith surviving then you are with outspeeding the rest of the metagame, a more defensive EV spread can be used. 156 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD give Anorith much more bulk while only sacrificing speed. Even with no speed EVs, Anorith still reaches 28 speed after a polish, enough to outspeed base 18 scarfers. A jolly nature is useable, but is excessive beyond the fact that it outspeeds Drilbur in the sand. </p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 3: Rock Slide / Rock Blast
move 4: Brick Break
item: Life Orb / Evolution Stone
nature: Adamant / Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> After a sword dance, Anorith reaches an impressive 40 attack with an adamant nature. X-Scissor is a great STAB attack and has decent synergy with either rock slide or rock blast. Rock slide provides a constant 75 BP, while rock blast ranges from 50 – 125 BP and has the ability to break through substitutes, but the preference is yours. Brick break provides good synergy with rock and gives Anorith the ability to break through screens. Life orb is the item of choice for maximum damage, while evolution stone allows Anorith to reliably pull off a swords dance, while sacrificing some attacking output. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p> The EV spread should not change, as Anorith wants all of the attack and speed as it can get, but the extra 36 EVs can be changed. A jolly nature is acceptable, as it allows Anorith to reach 18 speed, but, for the most part, hitting 40 attack is a better choice. </p>

[SET]
name: Choice Fossil
move 1: Rock Slide / Rock Blast
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Double-Edge
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> Anorith has both the attack and speed to effectively run either a choice band or a choice scarf set. Reaching 18 speed without a scarf, Anorith makes an excellent scarfer, outspeeding most of the metagame, even other scarfers. Having this much speed also makes it a great bander, as it is able to outspeed most non-scarfed pokemon. Unfortunately, Anorith does not have many useable attacks, so what you see is what you get. Rock slide should be used if you prefer reliability, while rock blast is the better option if you like being able to break subs and sashes. X-scissor provides another good STAB attack with decent type synergy with your rock-type move of choice. Brick break provides great type coverage with Anorith’s STAB attacks and allows Anorith to beat steel-types. Double-edge is pretty much the only other move Anorith has, but is very powerful and is a good fit on Anorith. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p> Anorith’s major weakness is its lack of usable attacks. The attacks and speed EVs should always be maxed in order for Anorith to hit as hard as possible and to outspeed other pokemon. </p>

[Team Options]
<p> Like any other sweeper, Anorith greatly appreciates entry hazard damage. Phanpy makes a good partner for this as it can scare away opposing Gligar, one of the best counters to Anorith, with ice shard, but it cannot learn rapid spin, unlike its evolved form. Wynaut and Monmen/Cottonee also make great partners if Anorith is trying to set up as they can give Anorith a free turn with encore. Anorith is very weak to priority, so Dratini and other fast priority users can beat opposing priority users. Bronzor and Gligar are Anorith’s best counters, so pokemon like Shellder, who can beat both, are great teammates. </p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>While Anorith’s movepool is quite shallow, it does have a few other possibilities. It can use substitute to guard against priority attacks or use protect to scout them. Even with its poor special attack, Anorith can run HP ice simply to beat Gligar. Even with a negative nature, like adamant or jolly, and no EV investment, it is a solid 2HKO versus the most specially defensive Gligar holding an evolution stone. Anorith is also able to use both rock polish and swords dance on the same set. It can get god coverage between brick break and a rock-type move. However, it is difficult for Anorith to get one boost, so it running two is risky. </p>

[Counters]
<p> Even with its great attacks and speed, Anorith is still relatively easy to counter. Gligar and Bronzor can take almost any attack (Gligar can’t take a HP ice and Bronzor has troubles with boosted X-scissor) that Anorith uses and can threaten it in return. While uncommon, Golett is resistant or immune to every attack that Anorith commonly uses. It needs to beware of HP ice, though. Monmen/Cottonee can completely shut Anorith down if it manages to switch into a rock polish or swords dance. Anorith has poor overall defenses, so it is very susceptible to priority attackers, especially Machop. </p>

[Dream World]
<p> Anorith’s dream world is swift swim. Unfortunately, rain is the only weather in little cup that cannot be set up by an ability. Rain is even more limited as Vulpix, Hipopotas, and Snover are all quite common. However, it is a good choice for a rain team as it is the only non-water-type pokemon to get swift swim. Ultimately, rain is terrible in little cup, but Anorith makes a good choice for a rain team. </p>

"Defensive" sets aren't really as viable in LC as in OU, so as you said, a supporter is AC material. Also, double dance is only a dance and a polish :P

I know that it's not literally two dances, but double dance generally refers to boosting speed and attack +2, as shown in the terakion analysis.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying don't c/p it from ms word.

Also supporter isn't that bad with evo stone. I haven't tried it but it could work.

Also no combining rp and sd set.

Even with 'remove fomatting,' I shouldn't paste from Word?

OK, I'll make three sets for boosting moves.

I won't add the supporter off the bat, but I might add it after testing it.

Why would you have both RP and SD? Anorith doesn't have the bulk nor the typing to set up twice without dying. Double boosting sets really only work on Pokemon with really good typing and bulk. Anorith already has 20 attack so the Rock Polish set should probably be the only fully effective one.

There is a little item called evolution stone. Anorith doesn't have the greatest selection of coverage moves, so double dancing is acceptable. Priority isn't too much of a bitch, but it still takes SE damage from aqua jet and bullet punch.

Gligar @ Evolution Stone (236 EVs, Neutral Nature) Stone Edge vs Anorith @ Evolution Stone (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 84.2 - 105.2% (16 - 20 HP)
Clamperl @ Deepseatooth (244 EVs, Neutral Nature) Surf vs Anorith @ Evolution Stone (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 231.5 - 284.2% (44 - 54 HP)

Anorith isn't bulky, evo stone or not.
macle said:
Also no combining rp and sd set.

Gligar @ Evolution Stone (236 EVs, Neutral Nature) Stone Edge vs Anorith @ Evolution Stone (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 84.2 - 105.2% (16 - 20 HP)
Clamperl @ Deepseatooth (244 EVs, Neutral Nature) Surf vs Anorith @ Evolution Stone (0/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 231.5 - 284.2% (44 - 54 HP)

Anorith isn't bulky, evo stone or not.
I'm pretty sure that Macle meant that as a reference to the fact that I put "I might just combine all three" boosting sets in the OP, which would be really dumb.

Yes, Anorith can't touch Gligar, but Adamant-Max-Attack Gligar cannot OHKO an Anorith that invests 36 EVs into defense. Sure it does 76.2% - 95.2%, but +2 Rock Slide does a 52.2% - 69.6%, so a weakened Gligar can't beat a fresh Anorith that boosted on the switch and on the attack.

Clamperl is slow as balls, but it can OHKO (with a STAB super-effective attack and the highest special attack, it should). +2 X-Scissor is an OHKO, so if Anorith chose right, and boosted attack, then it doesn't need to worry.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
Why would you have both RP and SD? Anorith doesn't have the bulk nor the typing to set up twice without dying. Double boosting sets really only work on Pokemon with really good typing and bulk. Anorith already has 20 attack so the Rock Polish set should probably be the only fully effective one.
You're missing the point of the set. Having scouted the opponents team you set up Swords Dance if you're facing a stall team, or Rock Polish if its an offensive one. The concept comes from Groudon last gen, and also more prominently from Terakion this time around.

"Defensive" sets aren't really as viable in LC as in OU, so as you said, a supporter is AC material. Also, double dance is only a dance and a polish :P
I disagree. Anorith has a very valuable support niche in LC as one of the few Pokes to get both SR and Rapid Spin, thus making a support set with Evo Stone or something plenty viable. It can also be run as an offensive lead with sweeper-ish EVs, 3 attacks, Focus Sash, and SR, something I did last Gen.

Also, please stop obsessing over EdgeQuake coverage in the analysis. :\ Just because Armaldo gets it, and just because every other Rock-type sweeper gets it, does not mean Anorith NEEDs it. Rock/Fighting (Brick Break), in case you weren't aware, gets pretty awesome coverage all on its own. Yeah, Brick Break is lacking in power a bit, but it has to take what it can get (plus Brick Break is awesome for it as a lead for smashing Screens).

Also, I don't think the RP/SD set is very viable, as few things in LC are ever going to find time to use 2 setup moves (unless one of them is Substitute on the switch). I'd like to see the Sword Polisher set removed and a Lead or Support set in its place with some combination of SR/Rapid Spin/STAB/Brick Break.
EDIT: I see your point, Cooky, but this is LC, and that type of playstyle is generally much less prominent. :0 I imagine that it's preferred to have the coverage of all 3 attacks compared to having an option that you won't use (or more likely won't get to) depending on the playstyle of the enemy team.

Woops, didn't notice that 'no ground move' got c/p'ed into every set.

I'm going to leave the SD/RP set there for now. While I do agree that it is more of an OU strategy, I think that it makes for a good late-game sweeper.

I'll add the lead set in a little bit.

EDIT: Added SR lead

EDIT: I see your point, Cooky, but this is LC, and that type of playstyle is generally much less prominent. :0 I imagine that it's preferred to have the coverage of all 3 attacks compared to having an option that you won't use (or more likely won't get to) depending on the playstyle of the enemy team.
Er, Krabby used it.

It was the coolest thing since DDtini.

Obligatory mention of HP Ice. Neutral Nature and LO means they can't wall you for free, even if you don't OHKO.

I would combine all the boosting sets into one... They really aren't any different? At the very least just take out double dance and mention it in both the SD and RP sets or something because it seems silly to have three different sets that are highly similar.

The "lead" set could be combined with the supporter set. There aren't really leads in Gen 5, so you could just slash Focus Sash and Evo Stone or something, and then maybe mention a slight EV change (you're still going to want either the speed or the power). I know they're pretty different or whatever, but fundamentally they aren't really.

Choice Anorith is meh, but why not...?

item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Shouldn't it be Jolly/Adamant? Unless you want to run Adamant with Band and Jolly with Scarf...

Also, does Bronzor really laugh off a +2 X-Scissor?

Also, Ground/Ghost pokemon shits on it, resisting every move it has. Mention in counters.

Woops, didn't notice the jolly/adamant thing.

Bronzor is 2HKO'ed by +2 X-Scissor, but is not 2HKO'ed by any other move on any set.

I realize that Gobitto shits all over Anorith but I wasn't sure if it was common enough to deserve mention. I'll throw it in.

If I remember correctly, Phanpy can't remove entry hazards. Donphan can Rapid Spin, but Phanpy can't. At least that was 4th gen, not sure about 5th.

EDIT: Yeah, its confirmed. Mention Phanpy as a teammate who can SR, but not one who can Rapid Spin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)