Anyone here play World of Warcraft?

I've been playing it since the game was in it's first stage of beta, only reason I'm still playing is because family/friends play the game as well.

I managed to work and go to my college classes/have a social life while I played, and I can still manage it. For some people, it screws everything up x.x

My armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nazjatar&n=Dohsha

Strictly PvP, no raiding for me. Lowest populated server in the US, GOOOOO!!! Will be transfering off to Frostwolf soon.

So..not to troll this thread, but how much has your social life / interaction with members of the opposite sex suffered from this...disease, this..breakout epidemic? WoW has ruined the lives of MANY. LIVE IN FEAR.
Well when i was more active (because i haven't touched it in these weeks,if you guys noticed lol), it really didn't finished with my social-life or anything, atm i have a gf and i don't even have time to play... but that's because i'm responsible, so i guess is different on everyone, some people live there as we all know.

It all began for real-life friends that introduced me to WoW, is so boring with no one to play with.

So..not to troll this thread, but how much has your social life / interaction with members of the opposite sex suffered from this...disease, this..breakout epidemic? WoW has ruined the lives of MANY. LIVE IN FEAR.
Not everyone who plays is completely obsessed with it (called "casuals"), but a large proportion of players really are addicted due to the nature of the game. Two of my friends/classmates have dropped out of college because of it, just look at the time requirement needed to raid and obtain the best gear and you'll see why. It really can be unhealthy, especially considering all that work will be a waste when the game is no longer hosted online. That's why pvp is fun, it doesn't tie you down as much imo, but $15 a month is a little heavy for a game that loses its fun factor so quickly after hitting 70.

I'm sure some people can balance the game just fine, but I guess it just seems that with the few people I do know that played it, it ruined their lives. Also, all of the horror stories I've read on SA make me never want to touch it.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
all that work will be a waste when the game is no longer hosted online.
Between this and the "omg mmos ruin ur life" I get a little irked. It doesn't matter if you're playing Pokémon, WoW, or doing anything else like watching TV, reading fiction, going to the movies, managing your fantasy football team or whatever. It's all entertainment. None of it is truly "productive," it's all for fun. Sometimes you still stress out a bit, notably when faced with a challenge in a video game ("luck," "cheating," etc.), but you're usually just filling time doing something that amuses you. Playing WoW is no less "wasteful" than doing anything but going to work, paying the bills and, for the older crowd, taking care of your family.

As for the whole antisocial ordeal, there's plenty of ways to be "social" online and MMOs are one of the easier ways through which many people interact. It's not quite the same thing as going out with "real" friends, which is why somebody would still want to do more than sit at the computer every waking moment they have free, but a computer or the Internet itself is not inherently antisocial.

Don't blame the game or the web, virtually everything is a bad thing when taken in excess.

40 orc shaman on trollbane
playin' with glalie, meddle, and others. we started end of july after moving on from RO and i can safely say we're having lots of fun!
Man fuck you guys. :(

Synre got me playing over on Gurubashi Alliance too with a few irregulars, me named Heratar (I name all my dudes after a poké-combination). I'm gonna come bug you guys too, although since I still play a lot more than Synre I'm going to be way behind if I ever level anyone there on Trollbane.

I have to say thats probably the best Mre point ever to be made, I agree pretty much completely. If you do wanna come hang around just send one of us a PM!

The online version of "social" is completely warped from reality though. The popular people in an MMO are the people who play the most and take it the most seriously, and 99% of the time are the most socially defunct in real life. Before TBC I was in a hardcore raiding guild for a few months playing with those kind of people and it just wears on you. These people don't play for fun, they play to get better gear and fuel their online reputations. Now you say every form of entertainment is waste of time and inherently the same, but you can play console games with friends and family as real social activity to do together, not a pesudo-social online one. I also find console games more rewarding because that zelda game I beat 10 years ago? I still have it and can play it whenever I want, WoW won't be this way.

Basically, the effect the game had on my friends, the fact that it wasn't fun to play compared to other games yet you want to keep playing it, the negative effect it had on me and my boyfriend (who played together), and my experience with raiding guilds make me think this way. That game is fun leveling 60-70 (1-70 if you've never done it) but that's about it.

Everything is bad taken to excess but WoW is made to be taken to excess, that's the problem, you can't get anywhere without playing it way too much.

started playing wow because of a friend. didn't start until after tbc though. currently play a 70 human pally (alliance sucks).

just recently started raiding, i'm in a pretty casual raiding guild. we raid whenever we have enough people to form a group.

armory:http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostwolf&n=Thefunkymonk
badwolf ftl. our pve progression is pitiful, just recently got our first guild into BT.

might roll a horde toon on trollbane that i can play when i'm not raiding.

edit: just rolled a toon on trollbane, expect a pm from me sometime :-]

E: seriously just transfer one of your 8000 worthless malygos characters instead of starting from scratch it's way less work

anyway my Shaman on Gurubashi is up to 63, I still see you guys are still a way from 70 though so Ird will continue chilling in the inactivity box while I gear my Shaman a bit!

Also as far as the social life thing I mostly agree with what E said. Even when my play time peaked while I was in Juggernaut(which I did not TECHNICALLY leave Sparrow although I am inactive, I am playing quite a bit now but I'm still not really putting in Juggernautesque playtime and I am so far behind in gear/attunement that I'm not certain how worthwhile catching me up would be for Jugg at this point) but even then I was doing okay(although not nearly as well as before or after) socially, but to do so I was cutting sleep pretty severely to the tune of about fifteen to twenty hours a week usually.

I am having no real trouble this time around though, if I need to work or my friends want to hang out or whatever I get off and do it, if I don't I play WoW or chat or do whatever else I feel like doing in my free time, and I am getting more sleep and am on a more schedule than any other time I can recall in my life.

I don't really agree with this either:

Raikou said:
These people don't play for fun, they play to get better gear and fuel their online reputations.
That is a generalization and in general I would wager is not true more often than it is true. People don't just throw 40+ hours a week on something they aren't getting paid to do unless they are enjoying it. There are that handful in a lot of raiding guilds that aren't really enjoying what they are doing and are just doing it for epeen or whatever but the majority of the people I was with in the high end guilds(moreso Juggernaut than my previous guild) were definitely enjoying themselves. A lot of people greatly enjoy challenging themselves on the most difficult content in the game, and that's really the only type of player who will willingly put in the amount of time required to be in the best guilds without burning out almost immediately.

For those of you who aren't familiar with it and are wondering what exactly I am talking about Juggernaut was the guild LordS and I were in from early Naxxramas until relatively early BC when we stopped playing... they were somewhere in the top 20 US killing Kel'Thuzad and Illidan but I forget exactly where they ranked both times.

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
MrE's pretty much got it down. It hasn't really taken a toll on my life, and it's quite easy to balance out. Like Glalie, for some reason i had more trouble with RO than with WoW even though I enjoy the latter much more.

As for progress, dinged 45 earlier today, I had a while where I didnt play cause my computer fried up but I started up again this weekend and got back in motion.

Still throwing out the thought of the more the merrier and anyone who wants to play can join over, just toss Akatosh, Noobster, or Markov a PM (well there's more but those are our smogonites) and chances are you'll get in right away.

also i wanted to be cool and post a ui screenshot too but my Shaman's UI will be pretty much completely different by next weekend once I respec and change/learn my keybinds so I will just post one of my druids from last year!

http://www.freewebs.com/synre/inviszone.JPG

i had limited options so I decided to use one of my 8000 whiny 'well I didn't really do anything wrong but Blameaux's Void Zones are invisible like half the time and I rotated into one she shot at someone else' screenshots. For those of you unfamiliar with it... my corpse is in a 4000 damage/s circle of failure you're supposed to be able to see but sometimes couldn't because her attack is programmed pretty poorly.

also man my gear sucks in that screenshot compared to what i ended up with, ugh

and for comedic value, a screenshot of my mage's "ui" the summer after the game came out

http://www.freewebs.com/synre/lol2h15m.JPG

Obviously the scoreboard is blocking most of it but I couldn't find any other screenshots with him! No matter how terrible my druid's UI was then it is still a step up from that.

Possibly more amusing are the HP of the people on my team in that screenshot though, how the hell did I survive anything at 3190 hp, lol. Even Alter/Bush/Sunwu's HP at 4kish as druid/hunter/shaman is pretty sad :( Amazing how much things have changed in that department, 10 levels later and 10k is pretty average

EDIT: why do i have damagemeters up in PvP ?_?

I was a shaman from release to about 6 months before TBC, then I switched to my warlock which was my main for then on. I mostly pvp'd on her but also raided up to c'thun (minimally, I hate raiding). They've just destroyed the shaman class compared to what it used to be, maybe you guys are all alliance rolling them for novelty value? Mine was a female tauren, which is probably the most awesome shaman race/class. 30/0/21 spec at 60.

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
Sure it's not as strong as it used to be but it can still hold it's own very well in PvE. Resto Shamans are incredible raid healers. Although pretty gear dependent, the other two specs can do well too. I recognize that your perspective is from a PvP point of view, where yes, the Shamans can't function as well as they used to. However, they're still holding up well in the PvE area!

I was a shaman from release to about 6 months before TBC, then I switched to my warlock which was my main for then on. I mostly pvp'd on her but also raided up to c'thun (minimally, I hate raiding). They've just destroyed the shaman class compared to what it used to be, maybe you guys are all alliance rolling them for novelty value?
There were two big reasons for me:

1) Since Canoftuna is a Paladin and thus has/had the primary healing role in our group locked down pretty nicely I wanted a healer/dps hybrid to add support healing/DPS. I have a Druid already and definitely wouldn't do that for that role since Moonkin and healing are mutually exclusive, and I wouldn't have gone Priest for the same reason, and Elemental Shaman tends to put out a lot better DPS than Retribution Paladin(in addition to Ret Pally being a terrible spec) and has better synergy with healing so it was a fairly easy choice.

2) I think more than any other class I played with a few really amazing Shaman I played with throughout my first couple years playing the game left a big impression on me. The main ones being one of the really well known PvPers during the first few months on our original server, Maomao, as well as the incredible Sebudai and Muroka who I had the good fortune of serving under in Juggernaut. There weren't very many players I played with who I felt like were dramatically better than me but those three all were, as well as a few other Shaman I played with... I think that was a lot of what motivated me to pick up the class.

Either way Shaman is definitely weaker than it was at 60 in a lot of ways but there are very very few top rated 5v5s that aren't carrying a 40/0/21 Shaman and most of those who aren't are carrying a Resto Shaman instead. Enhance is pretty terrible in PvP but hopefully they fix it or something although I don't think I'd ever even consider speccing Enhancement(since I rolled for Elemental and have some affinity for Restoration as a former Druid) regardless. I rolled the character pretty much exclusively for PvP anyway and I think between the Shocks and Purge and a couple of the utility totems there will always be a place for Shaman in PvP even if they aren't as dominating as they used to be.

EDIT: As an addition my Shaman is up to 66 now, I specced back to Elemental which tends to make me a lot more dangerous in World PvP which I am liking since while I don't really like mixing PvP into my leveling more than I have to if I choose not to kill other people they will normally choose to kill me at the most inconvenient time possible so I sort of get forced into it anyway. Once my Shaman gets 70 and the honor epics I'll probably move my Mage over to Trollbane and start gearing it up a bit(and possibly helping you guys with your Outlands quests a bit if I have enough alcohol on hand to make it bearable) since it looks like I'll have some time judging by how fast you guys are leveling.

My experience with shadow priests is they do amazing off healing with vampiric embrace while dpsing, and the mana regen from vampiric touch makes certain healers (Paladins) just broken. Or used to, I think they gave vampiric touch a slight nerf. Shadow priests also pair nicely with warlocks (I very well know this), so they are easily the off spec healer that brings the most to the table and has the most synergy with other classes- Death&Taxes had all their priests specced shadow for a reason.

Shamans who offheal and dps do have more mana issues than a shadow priest and I know this because I stayed elemental through AQ40, though the clearcasting buff has helped somewhat. While the shadow priest will be doing more healing and mana regen overall, the shaman is better in situations where you need fast clutch heals and more burst damage (like PvP). My Shaman could output amazing burst dps... but only when no one was paying attention to me.

So I suppose they both have their strengths, and shamans are just cool, especially elemental which I was from 10-60. And I can understand people not wanting to roll priests so you aren't flamed for not healing 24/7, even if shadow priests rape hardcore- which they do. I know firsthand warlocks and shadow priests make a great 2v2 combo but we had a serious rogue problem, as will any shaman not paired with class that can dispatch rogues quickly.

Also, I believe shamans are on 5v5 mostly for bloodlust and warrior buffs, both shamans and warlocks get assist trained like crazy in 5v5 with no real defense against it. I guess you could call them the primary meat shields. Lack of cc really hurts shamans, and lack of armor or active defense really hurts locks.

reading about how stuff changed for shamans with the release of TBC raises the question of WotLK. What do you guys all think about it?

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dentarg&n=Ausmara

My 5s team disbanded a week or so ago, so just having to do 3s for points and 2s for fun (if you can have any fun in that terrible terrible bracket.)

Shamans are on 5s teams because of the Windfury Totem they provide the Warrior and the 2345, but either way their constant damage is extremely high in comparison to a lot of classes.

Warlocks don't really have many problems, their lack of armor means nothing if they're running around at Resilience Cap, 14k HP and are SL/SL spec, however they are quite rare in 5s teams due to how long it takes to equip the Warlock up to the normal standard :P

Shamans are on 5s teams because of the Windfury Totem they provide the Warrior and the 2345, but either way their constant damage is extremely high in comparison to a lot of classes.
I often felt it was more for Heroism/Bloodlust, Purge and Elemental specs crazy burst power. Most 2345 team shaman's I've seen rarely go on the attack except for a quick burst kill, of course this could be cause my 5's team is a Paladin/Spriest/Rogue/Warlock/Mage gib team and they either heal the Warrior or lose him. Gib team Shamans play differently usually, just straight nukes on whatever the spriest+warlock targets.

I often felt it was more for Heroism/Bloodlust, Purge and Elemental specs crazy burst power. Most 2345 team shaman's I've seen rarely go on the attack except for a quick burst kill, of course this could be cause my 5's team is a Paladin/Spriest/Rogue/Warlock/Mage gib team and they either heal the Warrior or lose him. Gib team Shamans play differently usually, just straight nukes on whatever the spriest+warlock targets.
Well like I said, it's mainly for the 2345 this season, where as last season it was for the Lust and Windfury totem. How you play 'FOTM' has changed dramatically over the course of the two seasons though, their lightning bolts still hurt regardless though.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dentarg&n=Ausmara

Warlocks don't really have many problems, their lack of armor means nothing if they're running around at Resilience Cap, 14k HP and are SL/SL spec, however they are quite rare in 5s teams due to how long it takes to equip the Warlock up to the normal standard :P
Yeah, what I meant is you have to be demo spec and geared like a main tank to be able to hang at all, in contrast to say, an ice mage who has many forms of reactive defense. I got a little past 1900 in 2v2 as destruction, there was no way to go higher with rogues running around, I'd die so fast. But I found destruction much more fun than demo so I didn't mind the glass ceiling. Nice female dwarf priest btw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)