Anyone interested in making Gameboy sprites of new pokemon?

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I love these so much, brings back memories of the good old days haha. Also i would be interested to see the Garchomp and Salamence line.

It would be nice if I was asked before someone made themselves an av with my sprites :P

Some WIP's
Honchkrow and Murkrow were for fun and I wanted to re-make the original Green Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite Sprites

Because we all needed this.

Btw CShadow that Dragonite's belly is way fatter than the original's... And the wings are smaller, too.. are you trying to make it obese?

Pretty much yeah
I wanted to make him like a cute ball shaped thing : D
Also, you seem to lack white on your sprite. Are you trying to make it more like yellow style or RBG?

Bynine, the size of that Murkrow is perfect. It makes everything perfectly rb ridiculous.

Did some trainer devamps. Here's Lucas, Dawn, Barry, and Prof. Rowan:

These do not really work, especially because of the eyes...or just something about how blocky they are maybe. I tried finding trainer sprites to make sure I was right, but after getting nothing but bunches of DP trainers, finally gave up.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Bynine, the size of that Murkrow is perfect. It makes everything perfectly rb ridiculous.

These do not really work, especially because of the eyes...or just something about how blocky they are maybe. I tried finding trainer sprites to make sure I was right, but after getting nothing but bunches of DP trainers, finally gave up.
What do you mean? They are in the exact same style that the RBY trainers are in.

By comparison, it looks as though some features are distorted. Lucas's hat looks oddly shaped at the tilt, making it look more like some sort of french beret hat type thing. Lucas is also just an edit, when he should be resprited because he is not Red. Dawn looks out of proportion in some areas, like shes too thick around the midsection of the sprite, she also looks sorta like she is thrusting her torso forward a bit. I don't understand why she does not have a different position than Lucas or his rival, shouldn't she be more dainty and girly? The face on Damion (I forgot his name so I'll go with that for the rival), looks really odd. He does not have any ears/nose and his eyes look out of place. His position is also stiff and awkward. His arms also look screwed up a bit; he does not look like he has elbows or hands (the hands look more like hand stubs, but when looking in the originals, it does use a similar shape, but still manages to create the illusions of hands).

Nah, it's just that Burmy doesn't have any white to begin with. Even the eyes are more of a regular yellow, which light green suits much better than white.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Lucas's hat looks oddly shaped at the tilt, making it look more like some sort of french beret hat type thing.
Lucas's hat IS a beret. Also I modeled him after Red for nostalgic purposes. All the male heroes look the same anyways.

You're right about Dawn and Barry though. I didn't spent much time on them, but I went back and revised them a bit.

I'll probably work on some back sprites.

I added quite a few more. I'll need help separating them, as my usual transparency program screws with the colors.

Let's see here...

Murkrow looks fine, although extremely undynamic and happy for an evil crow. Honchkrow looks shy and timid, again, odd for a mafia boss crow. Dratini looks fine but appears to get fat, thin, then fat again...? Dragonair's shading makes it look like it's super shiny, which iirc it isn't. Dragonite's head is distorted hugely, both in position and in size, and that position.. what is it doing, falling over? Skorupi looks allright, but a little hard to distinguish. Kangaskhan's head is WAY, WAY, WAAAAY too big. Lickilicky... ?! You made it look almost exactly the same as Lickitung, just.. doing something weird with it's tongue. Why is the head smaller? If the pose was more dynamic, you would be able to make Lickilicky appear larger than Lickitung. Ditto's eyes are misplaced, and I have no idea what's up with the shading. It looks like it has holes in it. Mareep's colour would be a lot better of it was yellow, like Ampharos. Flaaffy's hips are distorted, and Ampharos' tail is striped differently then usual.. why?

Here's Feraligatr.

Let's see here...

Murkrow looks fine, although extremely undynamic and happy for an evil crow. Honchkrow looks shy and timid, again, odd for a mafia boss crow. Dratini looks fine but appears to get fat, thin, then fat again...? Dragonair's shading makes it look like it's super shiny, which iirc it isn't. Dragonite's head is distorted hugely, both in position and in size, and that position.. what is it doing, falling over? Skorupi looks allright, but a little hard to distinguish. Kangaskhan's head is WAY, WAY, WAAAAY too big. Lickilicky... ?! You made it look almost exactly the same as Lickitung, just.. doing something weird with it's tongue. Why is the head smaller? If the pose was more dynamic, you would be able to make Lickilicky appear larger than Lickitung. Ditto's eyes are misplaced, and I have no idea what's up with the shading. It looks like it has holes in it. Mareep's colour would be a lot better of it was yellow, like Ampharos. Flaaffy's hips are distorted, and Ampharos' tail is striped differently then usual.. why?

Here's Feraligatr.
A lot of this post sounds more like you're trying to be smart rather than offer up actual critique. Did you actually look at the sprites? Ditto for example, his "eyes are misplaced", I wasn't aware I needed to place his eyes in the exact same spot as every other ditto sprite when Ditto's just a transforming pink blob, his eyes can be a little higher or lower that's really nothing to bother with. I don't see how he looks like he has holes in himself either, it's shine.

Murkrow and Honchkrow could probably be remade to be more dynamic, but I don't see how they look shy or timid, nor do I see a problem with Murkrow smiling.

Dragonair and Dratini also don't make sense. Dragonair's colors is just me trying to use all the colors, looking at the originals;

I just made him blue and not white. And, why does it matter whether he's shiny or not? The white isn't overwhelming or blinding, it's just a highlight. Dratini I really don't understand what you were getting at really. I also need you to explain how Dragonite's head position is "distorted". His head is a little big, but it's RBG and I needed to take advantage of the space I was given. Dragonite is also just floating there, I wasn't aware he needed to be doing anything. Distortion is also a part of this style, things need to be a little cartoony, if we were trying to do D/P/Pt or HGSS then you need to be as strict and as accurate to the official arts proportions as you possibly can because those are more modern styles compared to this. With this style you can bend the rules a little bit, many people in this thread have already done so.

Kanga I agree on, as well as Skorupi, because I had problems making them. Lickilicky's pose is dynamic, I also needed to take advantage of the space I was given with him. He's just got his tongue on the ground and is bending over a little bit so he does appear bigger than Lickitung. Explain how making his pose more "dynamic" is going to make him look bigger? I'm still going to have to fit in all the detail, including his bulbous body and his little Elvis curl, as well as his massive tongue.

I kept Mareep those colors because the yellow does not look as good on him as it does Ampharos. His tail is striped unusually because I'm trying to make it look good rather than focus 100% on the official design (again, cartoony, things are exaggerated, and a lot of this were not to the T due to...well, I really don't know. Apparently a lot of the green sprites did not match the official designs).

Anyways, I still made some edits on what I thought was necessary, because some of your critique really isn't.

I haven't fixed everything yet. Still messing with Kangas head and thinking about what I'm going to do with the birds.

Feraligatr needs to be remade. One thing you need to do with this style is make sure you fill up the 56x56 borders because the bigger sprites really do need all of the space. Some of his details look a little crushed too, taking up the limited space you're given with the restrictions of this style should really help. Feraligatr looks too small, and interestingly enough (much like the crit you gave me) he does not look dynamic. I'm not saying you need to do something super special like use camera angle or perspective, but he's just standing there. Some Pokemon are meant to just stand in place, they don't really need to be doing anything. But Pokemon like Feraligatr should have there mouth open or something, or be roaring or looking like there going to hurt someone.

Silvers sprite is a good example of something to try out. It's not "just standing there", but it's also not doing something incredibly dynamic either. It's just much more interesting to look at with it's head tilted downwards and his arms in that position with the rest of his body. He does not need to be doing anything specifically to be dynamic, you just need the pose to look more interesting that him just standing there.

Edited Feraligatr even more, now it's almost completely filled out.

I'm sorry I offended you, I wasn't trying to "sound smart". I just wanted to help. It wasn't neccessary critique, just advice that you could follow whether you wanted to or not.

I thought Honchkrow looked shy and timid because his eyes are slanted backwards, and his mouth is hidden behind the beard. Maybe it's just me?

I'm still a bit bothered by Dragonite though. Is his wing normally pure white? You might want to consider colouring it in.

I think Lickilicky would look better if it has the drool coming off it's tongue like Lickitung does, it you have space. Also, maybe it's lower body could use some more shading or highlight? It looks very flat.

Again, I apologize if I was taken the wrong way.

(By the way, has anybody noticed that many RB sprites are in completely different styles? Some have completely black outlines and circular shading, while others have dotted outlines and a ton of dithering...)

It wasn't offensive, I was just wondering why some of the critique just wasn't necessary is all :X

I still think gatr should be bigger, and take up the space better, as he still looks a big squished. I'll make an edit as an example of what I mean.

I did these once for a contest on SPPf a long time ago:

Lawl, they're really messy since I've improved greatly as a spriter since then. Seeing this thread makes me want to go back and fix them up.

EDIT: Went ahead and redid Lugia. Woot.

I did these once for a contest on SPPf a long time ago:

Lawl, they're really messy since I've improved greatly as a spriter since then. Seeing this thread makes me want to go back and fix them up.

EDIT: Went ahead and redid Lugia. Woot.
Dude, your redone Lugia looks like he's gonna facepalm you. And then yell that you could have had a V8. It's friggin epic.

This is probably my favorite thread on Smogon.

EDIT:

I've always had a special place in my heart for the goofy pokemon graphics in Gen I, since they were the first vg graphics I ever experienced as a kid.Would someone be willing to take pictures of the process? I'd love you forever if you did that.

@Cshadow - Beautiful! I feel like you and Cartoons! managed to capture the styles very nicely.

I think Flygon should be green.
I actually colored it green the first time, but I didn't like how it looked so then I tried it in red. Unfortunately I saved the red version over the green version by accident and I'm too lazy to go back and redo it >_<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)