Apprentice Program: Round Twenty Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
We are ready to begin Round Twenty Four of the tutoring program, which will focus SOLELY on D/P OU standard battling; If you wish to get a tutor for this round all you have to do is post your profile in the format below. Tutors will be an excellent resource for you to learn Pokemon team building and battling strategies, as well as someone who can help "initiate" you into the Smogon Community. They are here for you...so take advantage!

This round will last for the next 2 weeks ending on April 5th, 2008

Shoddy Battle nick:
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!):
Experience level*:A little about myself:

*You don't have to be good...just willing to learn. So, don't be shy; Sign up now!

YOU MUST BE ABLE TO USE SHODDY BATTLE TO PARTICIPATE!

I will begin assigning all tutors to appropriate apprentices. If you are still looking for a tutor after all tutors have been assigned...you have the option of looking through the tutor roster and PM'ing a suitable person (one who is online during similar hours) to ask them if they will take you on as a second apprentice. It's as simple as that!!

If at any point during this round you encounter a problem (difficulty getting together with your tutor, etc.), let me know and we will work to resolve the issue.

Round Twenty Four Matchups:

Bologo - Beck
husk - AzNGooK
Slice n Dice - wayff13
Taylor - tenta[aint]Cool
Calciphoce - Lord Gloom
Havak - Nuke144
Jackal - Ike and Tina
Spaniard - gaudetjaja
Max - Redblows42k, DeathScythe
Leechy - Arzamo
Aeroblacktyl - sharkshocker
Gouki - Counter Guardian
StrangerDanger - Cyuss
Silver610 - Articanus
[kd8]otome - Rhykune
Brawlex - Nachos
marrilpet - LolIFillBlanks
Maniaclyrasist - [.darkie]
MS - Xenon
Judgement - aura_lucario
maddog - Upsided0wn7
Blue Kirby - linton
Great Sage - Orangishred
jrrrrrrr - sike, Break the walls down!
IggyBot - marik
JabbaTheGriffin - Leviathin34

Available Tutors:

****IF YOU SIGN UP CHECK THIS THREAD REGULARLY TO FIND OUT WHO YOUR TUTOR IS. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPRENTICE TO SEEK OUT THEIR TUTOR AND ESTABLISH MEETING TIMES.

Assigned to Bologo

Shoddy Battle nick: Tobias (though, if it isn't a problem, instant messaging is fine with me)
Time zone: Pacific (GMT -8:00)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 2:00 PM (so 5:00 PM EST) to whenever, weekdays. On weekends, I'm mostly free.
Experience level: Novice, so we may have to work from the ground up. I rarely compete due to my lack of skill, but of the very few battles I have played on Shoddy, I would say that I have an exact 50% win ratio (luck is occasionally on my side). Areas I wish to improve on specifically would be prediction and team-building synergy.
A little about myself: I hail from San Francisco, California and I have aspirations of becoming a teacher, one day. I'm generally a polite and open-minded individual, especially if you get to know me. My sense of humor, however, tends to be morbid / perverted / offensive at times, but please don't take it to heart. My interests range from art, culture, medicine, music, mythology, the paranormal, philosophy, politics, sciences, wrestling (lulz), and probably some more I have failed to list. Finally, I've played since the RBY days (my favorite generation being GSC), but only now have I really felt like getting more involved with the competitive battling scene. That is, when I can find the time to spare.

Note: Now, absolutely no offense to any of the other tutors, really! I don't doubt at all that each of you are very talented and well-versed in what you do! However, if I may make a request, I'd be honored to have Lee or Bologo as my tutor, please. I am very impressed with how both of you are exceptional in thinking outside of the box, spawning "new and unique" ideas from seemingly out of nowhere.

EDIT: So it seems Lee won't be available this week, according to the list, so Bologo all the way, please! <3

Assigned to husk

Shoddy Battle nick: AzNGooK
Time zone: EST (GMT -5:00)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 4:30 or 5:30pm (depending on how practice goes) to 9:00pm on weekdays. Very flexible on the weekends.
Experience level*: I'm probably more advanced than some other trainers. I'm not a complete noob but I'm not an expert either. Team building is very tough for me. My prediction skills are good and improving with every battle.
A little about myself: I'm typically a busy guy on the weekdays. I'm an athelete (believe it or not) as well as a pretty well determined student. Luckily, our track practices don't last very long so I should be coming home pretty early. As for the pokemon side of me, I've been playing since Yellow came out. However, I haven't been interested in competitive battling ('cause none of my friends had a link cable *insert sad face*) until the wifi feature came out with the Diamond and Pearl versions. Now I've been absolutely obsessed with it. I'm hoping to become one of the best out there ;)

Assigned to Slice n Dice

Shoddy Battle nick:wayff13/wayfftesting/wayffbored/wayff/wayffstalling
Time zone:West
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!):10:00-2:00
Experience level:I've been beating lots of matches lately, though I feel I can be better. I have a good feeling I'm winning a lot against average players, though not good players like Jibaku.

Edit: I actually like that you paired me up with Slice, as he's a real good friend.

Assigned to Taylor

Shoddy Battle nick: Tenta aint Cool
Time zone: GMT
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 12pm - 5pm (EST) weeknights, weekends pretty much all day.
Experience level*: Played Pokemon since RBY, this my first attempt of playing competitively. Got my rating up to 1486 on Shoddy then couldn't buy a win and my rating decreased rapidly. I'm mainly hoping to learn team building with this programme, as my prediction skills seem to be up to par.

A little about myself: Live in England, am 16 and study in school, love anime, obviously.

Assigned to Calciphoce

Shoddy Battle Nick: Lord Gloom is back
Time Zone: PST/GMT -8
Regular Online Hours: 6:00pm to 4:00am EST.
Experience Level: I'd think I'm a so-so player (I win my fair share of randoms), but I'd just like to expand my general knowledge of the game's intricacies.
A Little About Myself: I live in San Diego county, about thirty miles or so to the north, and am currently enrolled in a culinary vocational academy sponsored by the local university, which I guess makes me a chef-in-training.

Requesting zerowing again, I ended up very busy during last session and couldn't find time to set aside for it, but zerowing seems willing to give me a second chance, so I'm grateful for that now that I'm on break.

Assigned to Jackal

Shoddy Battle nick: IkeAndTina
Time zone: -5 EST
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 4-12 PM (Not straight!)
Experience level*:

I am fairly experienced at battling but find that I stick to the same group of Pokemon. By now I have a decent understanding of the metagame but I find that with the insight of a knowledgeable individual I will understand it even further.

I was told Jackal would be my master this round since last round he couldn't tutor me.

Assigned to Havak

Shoddy Battle nick: Nuke144
Time zone: GMT
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): most evenings after 6 GMT,
Experience level*:
Complete novice when it comes to battling competatively, never built a team from scratch to go against the serious trainers out there.
I have read about EV training and have used that to EV train one pokemon.
A little about myself:
Uk based. looking for help to build a team and learn about some of the basics really.

Can I request Havak as a tutor. He helped me to get my account activated to sign up for this and expressed an interest in helping me out.

Assigned to Spaniard

Shoddy Battle nick: gaudetjaja
Age: Age is a temporary thing that will fade away over time, so I will now state that I'm from 1992, and this will stay that way, Deo volente, eternally.
Time zone: GMT+1
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): On week days I'm on from 10:00 AM to like 12:00 AM, and I can also be on from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM. On weekends I can also be on from 3:00 AM to 6:00 AM. Time, however, is an arbitrary and dynamic thing, which means, concretely put, that I can be on at any time that you wish me to be on, except maybe in the deep, dark shadows of the night. After all, we must realize that playing on a 'pokemon battle simulator' (that actually simulates a simulating game) in the middle of the night is the sheer epitome of preposterousness.
Experience level*: I've played pokemon on battle simulators since the end of 2005. I was never really good at advance OU, though. I'm just mediocre. With D/P, the same threatens to be happening, although the fact that there are so much more options in team building does help me. I allways appreciated the lower tiers of the 'metagame', but being good at that is not what this tutor institution is all about. I'd like us to focus on team building and prediction, obviously of DP OU.
A little about myself: a/s/l: variable/transsexual/amsterdam red light district
Anything else that is relevant is stated above.

Assigned to Max

Shoddy Battle nick: shaggy
Time zone: Eastern
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Monday -Thursday 5:00p.m. - 9:00p.m. Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m.
Experience level*:A little about myself:I have been playing Pokemon since it first came out. But recently i have been looking into playing competitively. I need help with team building , and battling altogether.

Assigned to Leechy

Shoddy Battle nick: articuno1508
Time zone: GMT-5, EST
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Weekdays: 4-6 PM; Weekends: Morning, usually afternoon, too; Spring Break (until the 31st): the whole day
Experience level: Average/Below Average. I can't build my teams well enough to get above 1400 on Shoddy. I might be underestimating myself, though, because I've been playing competitively since two months after D/P came out.
A little about myself: I've been taking a break from Pokémon for a month or so (because I just got Starcraft, I had AP class homework, and Wobbuffet was allowed in OU) so I'm going to get back in with this program.

Assigned to Aeroblacktyl

Shoddy Battle nick: KuroNekoXIII
Time zone: GMT -8 (Pacific)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): around 1-8 PM EST next week because I have spring break, same time for Tuesday and Thursday the following week. Weekends are around 12-8 PM, Variable times on other days not specifically mentioned
Experience level: I've been playing Pokemon going back to my old Blue version, but i didn't start adding strategy to my metagame team until Diamond. Have had battles with my friends, but they were no rules matches, basically non EV-trained uber vs uber, but I win most of the time. I recently made a team, but it lacks strategy (except for Swords Dance + Baton Pass with my Ninjask) and I want to learn how to make a centralized team and have better prediction in battling. I'm also interested in playing in UU; I've just installed Shoddy (got trounced on my first two battles) and made a UU Residual Damage team, would like to get help on it too if it's fine :D
A little about myself: I am a university student. Interests are reading, video games, and tennis. I also play online games, but I tend to switch around :D

Thank you in advance for the tutoring! ^^

Assigned to Gouki

Shoddy Battle nick: Umbriel
Time zone: EST
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Online hours range for me:
Mondays and Wednesdays: 3-10 p.m.
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 2-10 p.m.
Fridays: 12-10 p.m.
Saturdays: 6-10 p.m.
Sundays: 1-10 p.m.
These are just estimated guesses.
Experience level*: I know a bit about the metagame, but I'm afraid that I'm not that good. I'm really interested in UU and BL pokemon, because they aren't seen and used as frequently as those pokemon in the OU environment. I haven't had much experience battling, though, but I'm always up for learning something new and unique.
A little about myself: I'm a junior in college, an English literatures major who is interested in reading, creative writing, nature, and intellectual/psychological conversation, among many things.

If possible, I would like to have a tutor who knows and works primarily with the UU/BL environment, because that's where I'd like to learn in. Thank you very much for the help that anyone can provide me.

I was supposed to be in the last round, but was denied because my tutor decided not to do the last round. Aeolus promised me that I would be put back into this rotation, but it was probably forgotten in the large scheme of things. I implore someone to give me a chance to be their apprentice this round, for lack of such last round.

Assigned to Tochukaso

Shoddy Battle nick: Ikazuchi, IkazuchiTesting
Time zone: Central
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Weekdays: 9PM-11PM, Weekends: adjustable
Experience level*: moderate
A little about myself: I was unable to get with my last tuotor due to a ridiculous amount of crap coming up suddenly in my life. But now that's all done with and I'm ready to try again. But actually about myself: I'm a sophomore in high school, and I'm taking two martial arts at the moment and starting tennis lessons soon. I like mostly everything so I'm pretty easy to get along with.

Assigned to StrangerDanger

Shoddy Battle Nick: Cyuss
Time Zone: Eastern
Regular Hours (Eastern Only!): Weekdays: 6pm - 10pm, Weekends: All day
Experience Level: Moderate, I love to play OU with generally OU/BL pokemon and would like to learn how to bring UU Pokemon into the OU environment. I've been battling competitively for about 5 months now. I know how to build teams but I suck at using them.

A little about myself: New to Smogon forums but not to Pokemon. I've been playing for about 7-8 years (I got Pokemon Blue when it first came out). I'm a freshman in high school, generally good grades (except Algebra >.<) I love music (especially older rock and roll and most kinds of heavy metal). I'm usually easy to get along with.

Assigned to jrrrrrrr

Wicked :D

(Im just gonna C&P My application from round 23 since nothing has changed)

Shoddy Battle nick: The Clash
Time zone: GMT (England)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): (GMT -5?) If so, 11am - 4pm. (Thats 4pm - 9pm in GMT) Though for this round, I'm on Easter break so for the next 2 weeks, I'm free from my education.
Experience level*:A little about myself: I've been battling in a competetive way since Jun 2007. I've played every pokemon game since RBY Back in the 1990s so I know my way quite a bit. I just struggle at a few aspects, mainly team building. I like to use more original and less standard pokemon and I am a big fan of using UU/BL In OU.

*Note* If possible, I would like to request a specific kind of tutor again. I recently found a love for ladder play on Shoddy. Though I cant seem to excel past 1250+, nor can I build an effective and good ladder team (or any team for that matter). So basically, Id like a tutor who has good skill in ladder play, tram building and everything else tbh. Slice n Dice seems like a good person to have this round, since I know he has great experience both in and out of ladder play. So if possible, may I request him? Thanks!

Assigned to Silver610

Shoddy Battle nick: Articanus
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 11:00 pm and later on weekends, and on weekdays 7-10 pm
Experience level*: Medium-high, a little above average.
A little about myself: I'm really intrested in anyone wanting to teach DP ubers, as that's my favorite metagame to play in. My biggest flaw is that I have trouble picking out specific threats that could potentially wreck my team. I also feel stumped when trying to pick out a sixth member

Assigned to [kd8]otome

Shoddy Battle nick: Rhykune, Jahoooom, SnoTest
Time zone: PST
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): On and off all day, but always 9-11.
Experience level*: Slightly above average. I have cracked the top 100 before but for very brief periods of time. I have been tutored by IggyBot before and we did a lot of teambuilding, but didn't have enough time to get into the rest. Which I need work on. Almost every team I make now works so I think I'm fine there.
A little about myself: I'm 13 and I go to highschool. I have spring break until the end of next week, and I am out from Tuesday until Thursday skiing. I also do a lot with friends so I may not be on at my times everyday.

I have no request in who I get for a tutor.

Assigned to Brawlex

Shoddy Battle nick: NachoMan
Time zone: GMT (England)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): (GMT -5?) If so, 11am-4pm. (that's 4pm-9pm in GMT) I belive.
Experience level*: I've been playing competitive since June 2007. I know the basics but when it comes to tactics and team-buliding I get ahead of myself and usually mess up.
A little about myself: When it comes to Pokemon, there's so much I want to cram into one team I just don't know where to start. My teams usually don't have synergy and always one way or another have a massive weakness which I don't pick up on.

Assigned to marrilpet

Shoddy battle nick: Randomdude68
Online hours: Eastern around 4-6 im available most days
Experience level: im decent im pretty good with team building although i lack good EV spreads, i also am horrible at perdictions and most of the time thats what causes me to lose.
A little about myself: during battles i usually make one bad perdiction and cant recover, my teams always have a major weakness that if i block with one poke another weakness pokes up i usually never have a good team thats sturdy and blocks one another out.
Also i would like to request Iggy =)

Assigned to cornflake

Shoddy Battle nick: Luffy X
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 5-8 PM on weekdays, varies on weekends
Experience level*: I'm not really what you would call an expert, but I am aware of the metagame and I can still hold my own.
A little about myself: I have been playing D/P probably since it came out. I just really want to improve my team building skills and strategies, which I thought here would be the perfect way to do so.

Assigned to Maniaclyrasist

Shoddy Battle nick: darkie, nuclear rxn
Time zone: Central
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 6 pm - 12 pm (M-F) Weekends, I'm generally on a lot more.
Experience level*: Above average, but not amazing. I've never been in shoddy's top 100. I find team-building the hardest part; with a good team I can win a few battles, but half the time my teams aren't good.
A little about myself: I just want to have fun with pokemon. Winning is always fun, so I guess I just want to win. I'm in the IB program, so sometimes time is limited, but most of the time I procrastinate and still manage to get things mostly done.

I'd like be tutored by maybe IggyBot, he's very helpful, but I don't mind too much about who I get.

Assigned to Mysterious Stallion

Shoddy Battle nick: Xenon

Time zone: IST (Indian Standard Time) (GMT +05:30) (EST +10:30)

Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 10:30 PM - 1:30 AM. Adjustable to an extent.

Experience level*: A few years on NetBattle and a few months on ShoddyBattle. I know the movesets, approximate base stats of all the OUs and can predict decently. I'm really bad at team building so i end up copying teams :(

A little about myself: I'm a school student ^^

I don't have any specifications on tutors since i hardly know anyone :(

Assigned to Judgement

Shoddy Battle nick: Aura_Lucario
Time zone: Eastern
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 9 PM-11 PM EST on the weekdays. I can go upto 12 PM EST sometimes.
I can play basically whenever on the weekend usually.
Experience level: I think I am pretty good, but once I begin getting higher up in the shoddy ladder I begin to lose. I would like to learn the metagame more in depth since I've only been playing competitively since D/P. I'm okay at prediction, but I am not amzing at building teams. It seems like I often stay within the confines of a select 20 pokemon and I would really like to know more in order to win! I'm also really quick to make large changes on my team in order to fit something and I don't think that that is always best.
A little about myself: I would really like to get involved in the smogon community more and I think this would be an excellent way to do so!

Assigned to maddog

Shoddy Battle nick: Upsided0wn7
Time zone: U.S. Pacific (GMT -7)
Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Weekdays: 7:30-11:30 Weekends: 9:30-12:00. I will be gone The night of the 23rd until the 28th. If you think that this absence will make it harder to be tutored, I'm completely willing to wait until the next session.
Experience level*:A little about myself: I started playing about 3 months after D/P came out. I usually learn quickly, and this was no exception. I'm a real "pen-and-paper" guy. I have no problem making EV spreads and movesets, but I have trouble impletementing them into battle. I tend to stay in and kill as much as possible, until my pokemon die. I need a revamping of my outlook on battles. I need to learn a new style of play. I'd like a tutor who can teach quickly and to the point, as I will be gone for 5 days. I know I'm a little young to be playing competitivly, but I usually am one of the youngest in about anything I do competitivly, and it hasn't stopped me yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)