1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Apprentice Program: Round Twenty Two

Discussion in 'Battling 101' started by Aeolus, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

We are ready to begin Round Twenty Two of the tutoring program, which will focus SOLELY on D/P OU standard battling; If you wish to get a tutor for this round all you have to do is post your profile in the format below. Tutors will be an excellent resource for you to learn Pokemon team building and battling strategies, as well as someone who can help "initiate" you into the Smogon Community. They are here for you...so take advantage!

This round will last for the next 2 weeks ending on March 8th, 2008

Shoddy Battle nick:
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!):
    Experience level*:A little about myself:

*You don't have to be good...just willing to learn. So, don't be shy; Sign up now!

YOU MUST BE ABLE TO USE SHODDY BATTLE TO PARTICIPATE!

I will begin assigning all tutors to appropriate apprentices. If you are still looking for a tutor after all tutors have been assigned...you have the option of looking through the tutor roster and PM'ing a suitable person (one who is online during similar hours) to ask them if they will take you on as a second apprentice. It's as simple as that!!

If at any point during this round you encounter a problem (difficulty getting together with your tutor, etc.), let me know and we will work to resolve the issue.

Round Twenty Two Matchups:

husk - bball1210
    zerowing - Pulse
    Aldaron - Dark Void
    Seph - InfamousB4L
    JabbaTheGriffin - duh555
    Jackal - GemaRawr
    marrilpet - Soujiro_Elric
    Bologo - wayff13
    Leechy - zukirin
    Lee - majesty
    [kd8]otome - ambervoid
    IggyBot - tennisace0227
    Max - JoWooD
    Judgement - Kinlap
    Aeroblacktyl - NaturallyMaria
    Silver610 - Daimean
    StrangerDanger - Hayate
    Great Sage - Blackmag228
    Gouki - Viashino_wizard
    Maniaclyrasist - RaikouLover and Magnechu
    jrrrrrrr - Lil-P0is0niT3
    Brawlex - Kira
    Blue Kirby - TheMusicMan
    the Lexx - URDOOMx100
    cornflake - mercuryenigma
    Calciphoce - Chickensandwichk
    Tochukaso - predatorywasps
    Roy - Pillowrath
    Venom - josh-ua
    Mysterious Stallion - Sklez
    Slice n Dice - Stalling
    PR3DAT - krlitoxs
    Taylor - Ranger Blue
    Havak - Dekzeh
    Spaniard - Gero

AVAILABLE TUTORS:

****IF YOU SIGN UP CHECK THIS THREAD REGULARLY TO FIND OUT WHO YOUR TUTOR IS. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPRENTICE TO SEEK OUT THEIR TUTOR AND ESTABLISH MEETING TIMES.

****CHECK YOUR POST TO SEE WHO YOUR TUTOR IS. I WILL EDIT IT TO SHOW WHO YOU GOT.
  2. ToF

ToF
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 13 Champion

Assigned to husk

Shoddy Battle nick: Twist of Fate
    Time zone: EST
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Weekdays: 5-8 PM, Weekends: Ranging time periods
    Experience level: B-/B approximately...Play a lot of DP
    A little about myself: I want to continue to improve as a battler and fine-tune my skills. I know a lot about the metagame, but have trouble making counters to specific threats and making proper plays at times.

Also, Ive talked to husk, and he said that he agreed to be my tutor, so I would really appreciate being paired up with him.
  3. Pulse

Pulse

Assigned to zerowing

Shoddy Battle nick: tesst, .Pulse.
    Time zone: Pacific // GMT -8
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 6 PM - 1 AM
    Experience level: I'd say in terms of prediction I'm above average, but I have just SO much trouble building a team that fits me.
    A little about myself: 18 year old senior in Cali, play basketball and soccer, have been playing Pokémon competitively for about 4 months. The only other video game I don't suck nuts at is Super Smash.

As for tutor preference, I have faith that Smogon has plenty of experienced tutors so I trust your judgement. Thanks!
  4. Dark Void

Dark Void

Assigned to Aldaron

Shoddy Battle Nick: V o I d
    Time Zone: EST
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): All day on weekends unless something comes up. 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM on week days.
    Experience Level: Intermediate. I would say that I'm a decent battler but there are just some matches where I make stupid mistakes and notice them right after, although it would be better for me to not make them in the first place rather than notice them afterwards. My teambuilding is somewhat alright, but I'm usually not too good at it. I know important things about team building such as basic synergy but my biggest problem is making changes to a rough draft to give the team more playability.
    A Little About Myself: I have been battling competitively for about six months now. I played Pokemon in ADV, but I wasn't in it for competition at all. I'm a pretty nice guy and I'm always willing to learn.

I had PMed Aldaron a while ago and he said that he would be happy to tutor me. If it's alright, I would like my tutor to be Aldaron. Thanks.
  5. Flash Ketchum

Flash Ketchum

Assigned to Seph

Shoddy Battle nick: InfamousB4L
    Time zone: Pacific // GMT -8
    Regular Online Hours (pacific time): 5 PM - 11 PM ( on a lot on weekends)
    Experience level: I am pretty good, about average,when more that i lose but lose to the better opponents i face.I struggle with team building and prediction
    A little about myself: 16 y/o sophmore play varsity basketball have been playing Pokémon competitively since the game came out. Started out at a site called "GameTalk" where OBI also went too, and 1st started getting into competitive play

* if possible would like to be with someone real good with team building, as i really struggle to cover my weaknesses and over look that there are a few pokes that can usually tear my teams to pieces.
  6. Atticus

Atticus Atticus
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentis a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

Assigned to JabbaTheGriffin

Shoddy Battle nick: duh555 (though I barely shoddy battle, i use pokesav so I mostly battle on wifi)
    Time zone: Eastern
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Mon - Saturday 2:00 - 5:00 pm Sunday - varies but I will usually be on most of the day
    Experience level*: I would consider myself an above average trainer who needs to learn better team building skills and making better spreads, I would also like to learn how to create unique sets that aren't gimmicky.

A little about myself: I live in Toronto Canada and I have been playing competively since the summer, my interests include playing some poker, soccer, and video games of course.

I don't really care who my tutor is as long as they can teach me proper team building, I look forward to meeting my tutor.
  7. GemaRawr

GemaRawr

Assigned to Jackal

Shoddy Battle nick: duzteen
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Noon-Whenever most days. Especially weekends.
    Experience level: Intermediate. I've been hovering around Shoddy trying to learn a few things for about a week.
    A little about myself: I like video games in general, especially games that can be pretty competitive. I haven't played a Pokemon game at a competitive level before, but I'm willing to learn(that's why I'm here). Also, I'd say I learn pretty fast.

I can't really say who I would prefer for a tutor, since I don't know any tutors. Though I have trouble building synergistic teams, so someone who could help with that would be a bonus. ^_^.
  8. Soujiro_Elric

Soujiro_Elric

Assigned to marrilpet

Shoddy Battle nick: Soujiro_Elric
    Time zone: GMT -4
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Around 3 or 4 pm to 10 pm, sometimes more (in eastern time)
    Experience level: Knowledge about how EV and IV works, I can actually get pretty well with theory but when making a team I just get lost. Can't make a team with a focused strategy. Also I can't make movesets of my own.
    A little about myself: I study an engineering. I'm from Chile and I like the pokemon games since I was a child, though my interests have changed of course. I'm willing to learn the DP mechanics to its full, just for fun and love for the art.
  9. Wayff

Wayff

Assigned to Bologo

Shoddy Battle nick:Wayff13/wayfftesting
    Time Zone:West
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!):11:00-2:00
    Experience Level:I consider myself decent.

I would like Bologo as my tutor as he has inspired me greatly with his teams.
  10. zukirin

zukirin

Assigned to Leechy

Shoddy Battle nick: zukirin
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 2:20-4:40 PM EST Weekdays and almost never on weekends
    Experience level*: I am pretty knowledgeable of battling and such. However, I really am not good at team building. It is my "Achiles Heel" so to speak.

A little about myself: I like pokemon, I am sorta advanced in school being a Senior. I have lived in various places due to my dad being in the military, and I am a full blooded filipino but born in California.
  11. majesty

majesty

Assigned to Lee

Shoddy Battle nick: majesty
    Time zone: Mountain. (MST)
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): I can be available almost any time. Mostly in the evening, such as 5-10 PM Eastern.
    Experience level*:A little about myself: Well I've been battling for a fair bit now in OU, especially on Shoddy. I suppose I'm not too bad in OU. Recently Lee has beaten a love for UU into me. I really don't know where to begin here. I am not bad once I get going with a team, but I really do have issues with the actual team building and balance of a team.

I'd really appreciate if I could be paired with Lee. Him and I have worked together before and are often on the same wave length for team building, it seems. He would be a wonderful teacher for introducing me to his beloved UU tier.
  12. ambervoid

ambervoid

Assigned to [kd8]otome

Shoddy Battle nick: Azurevoid or [insert color here]void
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): weekdays 6:30PM - 9:30PM, or around that time frame. Weekends are less rigid, whatever time you'd like as long as you tell me beforehand
    Experience level: On a letter scale I'd rank myself as around B, assuming the A range represents top tier players
    A little about myself: I enjoy the finer elements of life. I do alot of reading particularly fantasy or historical fiction and a touch of poetry. My favorites are popular works such as those by Dan Brown. I play a bit of M:TG, WoW, and D&D as well. I'd hate to oversimplify life this, but its important to push life to its limits. Any hobby that I've picked up, I've found that I've been driven to its competitive side. In Magic, for those of you out there who play it, I'm a hardcore spike, and I scrambled through WoW to go raid with some other nerds. Pokemon is no different. On more unrelated information, I love spicy food. Wasabi <3
    Oh, and I do a little bit of photoshop, 2nd post in the link in my sig :)

[kd8]otome has contacted me via AIM and we have agreed to be master and apprentice :)
  13. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Contributor to Smogon Social Mediais a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

Assigned to IggyBot

Shoddy Battle Nick: Tennisace0227
    Time Zone: EST
    Regular Hours: 5-9pm weeknights, all day weekends.
    Battle Experience: Novice

If it is at all possible, I would like to be paired with IggyBot again because he helped me a lot last time. I talked to him about it and he said it was fine.
  14. JoWooD

JoWooD

Assigned to Max

Shoddy Battle nick: Ampersand ;; Polaris
    Time zone:
    EST
    Often (2-3 hours a day)
    Experience level*:
    Intermediate?

I'm alright. Not new to competitive battling, but I was never schooled on it. I know basic terminology, stats, etc...
  15. Kinlap

Kinlap

Assigned to Judgement

Shoddy Battle nick: atenthirtyone
    Time zone: Eastern Time Zone. (GMT -5)
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 8:00 PM to 12:00 AM on weekdays, and 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM on weekends.
    Experience level: I read and lurk a lot on Smogon, but I severely lack the experience.
    A little about myself: I am a 19 years old university student? I gotten interested in Pokemon battling recently.
  16. NaturallyMaria

NaturallyMaria

Assigned to Aeroblacktyl

Shoddy Battle nick: NaturallyMaria
    Time zone: Pacific
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): Wed/Fri 8-12 pm, most of the weekend
    Experience level*: I've been part of the competitive battling community since R/B, and I win most of my matches on Shoddy. I could use some help with understanding complex team dynamics, as most of my successful teams build off the tried-and-true basics.
    A little about myself: Well, I like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain... I'm a pre-law major here in California, and competitive Pokemon has been my one of my hobbies for a long, long time. I'm pretty well established on GameFAQs, and I figure it's high time I actually start becoming involved with Smogon as well. More than anything else, I hope that this program will help to integrate me into the community.

I was referred to Smogon by IggyBot, so I'd like to be paired with him if it's possible. I know he already has an apprentice from last round though, so I'd be fine with anyone else too.
  17. Daimean

Daimean

Assigned to Silver610

Shoddy Battle nick: Flamekei/Daimean
    Time zone: Eastern
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 5-9pm
    Experience level: I know a little more about completive battling *Middleish level?*
    A little about myself: I'm in high school?

If possible I would like to be pared with The Lexx since we missed a lot of time last round and he helped me a lot.
  18. Hayate

Hayate

Assigned to StrangerDanger

Shoddy Battle nick: L05t_caws_15
    Time zone:
    EST
    weekdays 8-9:30 weekends: anytime just IM my on S0uljaB0i15
    Experience level*:
    I've been playing competitively for about 2 months and have the basic idea of predicting, but still need a bit of help on it. I need real help on team building.
    A little about myself:
    I like to play video games for fun. I'm really into basketball. And also I like to joke around a little but also get work done. I'm really hard working and can accomplish that a lot that is expected.
  19. Blackmag228

Blackmag228

Assigned to Great Sage

Shoddy Battle nick: Blackmagi228
    Time zone: East coast USA
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 4-10 weekdays, 10-10 Sundays, 3pm-10pm saturday. (times vary because of school).
    Experience level*: Good enough to make teams, not that great teams granted.

A little about myself: Uhh... I like OU battling, and want to expand into UU. I feel I need a tutor because it seems like I am a a disadvanttage everytime I battle.
  20. Magnechu

Magnechu

Assigned to CLegacyM

Shoddy Battle nick: Magnechu
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): After school, but more likely 8PM-11PM. Weekends I won't be on much as I have TCG tourneys these next 2 weekends.
    Experience level: I started getting into competitive battling around late December and have been playing on Shoddy a good amount lately. I basically just want to better myself at this, and hopefully this will. I've got around a 1400 rating on Shoddy right now, and it continues to grow. I feel like I am pretty good, but I can never really tell. I've only lost to the likes of husk and people around that calibur lately, bar a few exceptions. My team building skills need some tuning, though. Also, I'm looking to be able to come up with more creative movesets.
    A little about myself: I'm almost 17, in a bunch of different clubs, play on the varsity soccer team here and I also play Pokemon TCG competitively. I'm part of the "elite" group in the TCG, so I take a lot of strategy and experience from that, as far as prediction and other things go.

Thanks
  21. Viashino_wizard

Viashino_wizard

Assigned to Gouki

Shoddy Battle nick: Viashino_wizard
    Time zone: Pacific Standard Time
    Regular Online Hours:
    +Monday: 7:00 pm - 1:00 am
    +Tuesday: 10:00 pm - 1:00 am
    +Wednesday: 9:30 pm - 1:00 am
    +Thursday: 9:30 pm - 1:00 am
    +Friday: 7:00 pm - 3:00 am
    +Saturday: 12:00 pm - 5:30 pm, 10:00 pm - 3:00 am
    +Sunday: 12:00 pm - 1:00 am
    Experience level: Moderately proficient.
    A little about myself: I play both OU and UU, exclusively on Shoddy. I like anime, video/computer games and Terry Pratchet novels. I want to improve my competitive battling skills in OU and UU so that I can play better and help contribute to the Smogon Community.
  22. RaikouLover

RaikouLover

Assigned to Maniaclyrasist

Shoddy Battle nick: Erik-Testing, RaikouLover, Brock-, Swimmer Erik
    Time zone: Eastern Standard
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 10 PM - 1 AM
    Experience level*: I'm moderately experienced. Prediction... mediocre.. but there.
    A little about myself: I like thinking of sets. I think I'm pretty good at coming up with new and exciting sets for pokemon. But my team building as a whole is terrible. Synergy doesn't exist on my teams... they just fail. I would like to learn a lot about team building, while still keeping originality. I am very fond of rain dance teams... and Kingdra.

I do remember Maniac told me he rain a successful rain dance team... can I request him?
  23. Lil-P

Lil-P

Assigned to jrrrrrrr

Shoddy Battle nick: Lil-P0is0niT3, Lil-P
    Time zone: Pacific (GMT -8:00)
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): 5:45 P.M. - 11:00 P.M.
    Experience level*: Very Experienced in past gens, however I am not comfortable/familiar with the D/P metagame.
    A little about myself: I like to think and play outside of the typical Bog standard movesets/metagames. I have had experience with the high-level gameplay in past smogon tours.

I would like to request JRrrrrr, as I know him pretty well out of the people that aren't taken.

Edit: Thanks max ;)
  24. Kira

Kira

Assigned to Brawlex

Shoddy Battle nick: Ly
    Regular Online Hours: I am on from 4:00-10:00 weekdays and I can be on nearly anytime on weekends.
    Experience level: I think I am an ok battler but I need help with prediction and with battling high level players since I start failing once I get to the 1400's on shoddy.

I am requesting Brawlex since I know him, or Slice since I know he is awesome at Pokemon and he greatly helped me with my last team.
  25. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan

Assigned to Blue Kirby

Shoddy Battle nick: TheMusicMan
    Regular Online Hours (Eastern only!): This tends to vary a bit, as I have a job, but usually you can expect to see me at least on the internet from 10 PM to anywhere between 11 and 2 AM, as well as during the morning and afternoon when I'm not working. Usually I have roughly 20-30 hours online in any given week.
    Experience level*: In DP, not much outside of ingame.
    A little about myself: I'm a former music major who works at a local Wendy's. I'm engaged, due to be married in roughly two years.

Also noting that Blue Kirby already agreed to be my tutor.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)