Archeops

Agreeing with Nastyjungle ]:

Also, where does the move "Roost" exist in B/W? Like, how can you get it? And is it possible for Archeos to learn? (I know it's not a level up move or TM [anymore])

I think it still can make a potent revenge killer with a choice scarf, as long it can have passed to it some wish or rapid spin support.

It's a level-up move/egg move, but not for Archaos.
Wow, I thought there would be at least a tutor or something.
Gen 4 came around and was friendly to all the birds by giving them Roost, and now Gen 5 just took that away ;___;

and @Freak of Nature; I don't see a lead set happening....

I think the most its got going for it right now (attack wise) is its Acrobat+Jewel+STAB combo

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
It's a level-up move/egg move, but not for Archaos.
Jeez, what a slap in the face to poor ol' Archeos.

Faint Hearted ranks up there with Traunt and Slow Start as the shittiest abilities- you'd think with his SR weakness and paper-thin defenses they'd at least give him Roost to help out a tiny bit.

if gamefreak dont fix archaeos ability on pokemon grey it will be the end of us all! no!!!

DBZ memes aside, i actually had hope for this thing until i found out the ability also drop special atack. he is useless with those pathetic defenses and hindering ability. i really think he will end up UU...heck, he might end up NU.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't see it more like Moltres, as Moltres can do both sweeping and a decent stalling tactic in SubRoost. I see it more akin to perhaps Bellyzard if Charizard were in UU. Powerful with the right support, but dead weight without or being played carelessly.
Bellyzard requires setup while Archaeos doesn't. It can just come right in and start firing off powerful attacks. Even at half Att, Head Smash is still powerful enough to 2HKO bulky sweepers like Venusaur and the speed is untouched. I can see this working very well in the UU environment.

Bellyzard requires setup while Archaeos doesn't. It can just come right in and start firing off powerful attacks. Even at half Att, Head Smash is still powerful enough to 2HKO bulky sweepers like Venusaur and the speed is untouched. I can see this working very well in the UU environment.
Bellyzard needs Stealth Rock gone. Bellyzard cannot function if a phazer comes in as it sets up a Sub. Bellyzard can only set up -once-. Bellyzard cannot work if the enemy bulky water is at full health. Bellyzard cannot work if the enemy still has priority.

Archeos demands the same setup. It needs Stealth Rock gone. It needs priority users (Since it is weak to everything sans Extremespeed) gone. It needs the bulkier tanks and walls weakened or dead. Archeos demands just as much support, if not more, than Bellyzard.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wow this thing got fucking trolled.

The best you probably should pull with is something like... this maybe.

Archaeos @ Expert Belt / Flying Gem
ability: *BARF*
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
ivs: 29 HP (or whatever will allow you to step into Stealth Rock 4 times with 1 HP remaining)
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Endeavor
- Head Smash / Taunt / Acrobat / Quick Attack

Yeah, this thing is depressing. I probably wouldn't touch it in OU, aside from Swords Dance and you -need- to force a switch to make that one work well, but this is about the closest I'd get to it. You obviously don't want Life Orb. Don't even think about it. Take advantage of Stealth Rock. Once you step into Stealth Rock twice, you should still have enough enough HP to keep out of Faint-Hearted (and I hint at "should"). So this gives Archeos a maximum of two turns of damaging what he can. With Taunt, you can at least force Skarmory to use Brave Bird if it switches in. If you see Nattorei or anything that resembles a priority sweeper, get the fuck out. After you step into Stealth Rock 4 times, you should be left with 1 HP, which in this case just Endeavor. You can use Quick Attack to finish the Pokemon off. Sadly, it can't finish off Steel-types (there's no way in hell), so at best it kills off a sweeper. Head Smash is the closest you can get to suicide: it hits just about the same as Rock Slide does before Faint Heart activates.

Choice Band:

- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Head Smash

Okay I lied, I might consider this set. Screw U-turn really unless you can keep Stealth Rock out of the way. Easier said than done perhaps. Head Smash for your psuedo-Explosion.

Honestly, this thing disappoints me to no end. Faint Heart was a real troll ability. Granted, if you can keep Stealth Rock off the field and dodge priority (hint: it's pretty easy to predict priority), Archaeos can be okay. It's just pathetic how your best STABs are left to moves that can't afford to miss or rely on not holding an item.

I think this thing will be lucky to be UU. Pity, Gamefreak really needs to learn how to make nerfs properly. You know, ones that don't completely cripple the hell out of a Pokemon at such a health. If it was only <25%, in which case it might've been okay, but it's still a dollar short in sweeping. Maybe Aero does have it good after all.

Great offensive stats + a pretty good Speed. Generation 5 has been blessed with all these pokemons. There are so many I can't wait to try out.

Head Smash would be so powerful on this thing, though recoil would suck.

When I saw Archaeos' base stats and movepool, I was like, "wow, this has got to be the best Pokemon ever created." Then I saw its ability (Faint-Hearted, which halves its offenses when Archaeos is at mid to low health), and thought "Why did GF have to give such a good Pokemon a bad ability?"

Anyway, I'm still using Archaeos despite this disadvantage. From its stats and movepool, it hits hard and it hits fast.

Archeos has a BST of 567... not like regigigas and slaking that they catch up 670, therefore does not see the reason of this bad ability. As an example Ononokusu is hard how much Archeos (without faint hearted) but the game freak has given to it 3 ABILITIES(!!!) that have made it still more broken. GF it's racist LOL. At this point in pokemon grey we must hope in an ability that decreases both the defenses or any other ability... otherwise for the archeopteryx is ended.

Faint of Heart: ATK and SP ATK are halved when the Pokémon's HP are at half or below.

Faint Hearted: If it's HP dops below 50%, attack is decreased.

According to serebii they say that only attack drops when its hp goes down, wich means u can still use its pretty good spA stats (112) it have pretty good spA moves too like dragon pulse, focusblast, earth power, Hidden Power and ancient power.
I see him pretty good still, and he got the most BST of all non legendary/pseoduo legendaries too

Maaan, I really hoped I had done everything right, when testing the ability... Too bad.
I just saw that he can use Endeavor+Quick Attack. Might be useful, a little.

One last thing tough: When I tested the ability(I did it just like the guy in the video, attacking twice with the same move/opponent) it did consistent damage....

One last thing tough: When I tested the ability(I did it just like the guy in the video, attacking twice with the same move/opponent) it did consistent damage....
By "consistent damage", do you mean a special attack did about the same damage after its hp was at half or below?

Or are you simply saying the damage was consistent with the video?

What he said. Was it consistent with the prior attack, or with the video?

Ugh. I just want to know how this ability works! Whether its just attack or both offenses is the difference between useable with smart play and nerfed to hell.

Maaan, I really hoped I had done everything right, when testing the ability... Too bad.
I just saw that he can use Endeavor+Quick Attack. Might be useful, a little.

You probably had a crit. or something... I tested this too and my attack (ancient power) was way weaker after <50 % health. :\

:/ I really don't see how whining about it's ability is going to do anything. This pokemon requires maintenance and precaution when sending it into battle. Due to it's high maintenance it doesn't look like it's going to be a top tier choice for a pokemon.

Like someone else said, it's ability is better than Slow Start (Unless it's turn count has dropped this generation).

to be honest, all i can see for this guy is that it's gonna be excellent ingame. if you really want to use it competetively, you'll need Jirachi's wish support. this can actually work, since jirachi can u-turn to archeus on fire or ground attacks, both of which he resists

:/ I really don't see how whining about it's ability is going to do anything. This pokemon requires maintenance and precaution when sending it into battle. Due to it's high maintenance it doesn't look like it's going to be a top tier choice for a pokemon.

Like someone else said, it's ability is better than Slow Start (Unless it's turn count has dropped this generation).
But you see, thats just it. If the ability were slightly less awful, if it only dropped ATK, say, he would be so vastly better. He would require much less maintenance. He woulda had a shot at the higher tiers. That's whats a letdown.
Further down the tier list, his power will potentially make him worth all that trouble. But man, what could've been...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)