Project NU Archetype Cores: Discuss Your Experiences! (HIATUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
+
+
OR

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sucker Punch
- Encore

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Destiny Bond

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Focus Miss/Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide

-FREE to post this *crap* finally . This Victreebel set was my only set i ran on victreebel this summer when i joined ps. It really brings back memories and fun i had using grass spam having vic/shiftry together, I had victreebel on literally every single team i was using back then, and i used fun teams only, Encore here is to lock opponent into rocks/sucker punch because they will have no idea ur running encore victreebel because *its a shitty move outclassed by every other coverage move*-(not really actually). Also to note something, I never ran this in Sun and i had something like stunfisk that used to stop popular things like archeops back then. Also now that sceptile joined this tier you can run it for Ez speed control cuz its easily best pokemon in tier and attracts annoying thing like garbodor/weezing that annoys the core.
I see that you put in a great effort with this post, so I hate to do this. Unfortunately this submission does not fit the criteria, as the assignment this week was fire spam. But the good news is that I do plan to do Grass spam in the next week or two, so hold onto the idea!

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Charizard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Flame Charge
- Earthquake

Liepard @ Heat Rock
Ability: Pranskter
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- Knock Off
- Encore / Taunt
- U-turn
Sun teams are pretty fun and this Fire-spam core is what I used when I ran it. Charizard is basically as powerful as Specs Blaze in Sunlight but fast enough to beat even other Chlorophyll users, so just spam Fire Blast or use a tech move to remove something important, like Hariyama with Air Slash or Lanturn with Solar Beam. Magmortar can also come in and fire off powerful Fire Blasts throughout the match while using Flame Charge to potentially boost up and sweep during Sunlight, packing Earthquake for other Fire-types and Thunderbolt for Mantine. Liepard provides the Sun support and also provides switch-in opportunities with Encore and U-turn or chip damage and item removal on things like Sliggoo with Knock Off. Taunt is usually sub-optimal but can work for Sun teams when you don't have any other hazard control as most people usually let themselves get Encored into Rocks and switch out when they see the matchup.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
+
+

Flareon @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Baton Pass
- Quick Attack

Pyroar @ Flame Plate
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flame Charge

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

A more unorthodox core featuring Banded Flareon. I decided to use it because of how strong its fire stab is and Flareon's ability to pivot out with Baton Pass is pretty useful for pivoting into pelipper to check most water types or for switching into Pyroar who can handle faster threats and dent more defensive fire checks. Flame Charge is a flames option on Pyroar that lets it become a more threatening cleaner because of the increase in speed. Pelipper is a solid method of hazard removal that pairs well with these two because it has a ton of staying power with roost and can consistently remove hazards throughout a game. Mixed spread on Pelipper lets it handle things like special rott and floatzel a bit easier.

The winners for this week are Rapture. and Oda. Congratulations you two! Thank you to everyone else who contributed as well. Continuing with the spam core theme, we are going to be doing
spam this round. The rules are the same as last time, but I'll restate them for you. Cores still need 3 Pokemon, but only 2 have to be of the assigned typing. Feel free to use the last slot for whatever you need to round out your core. The submission period will go on till Friday, the 11th. Good luck!

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Ludicolo - Kabutops - Mesprit

Most obvious Water Spam core in the entire game of Pokemon. Ludicolo is a powerful Pokemon that has an excellent STAB comination in conjunction with Swift Swim along with access to set up its own rain in an attempt to pull off a late game sweep. Kabutops provides the core with a Swift Swim sweeper, this time on the Physical side. Kabutops helps out Ludicolo by eliminating Mantine, possibly Ludicolo's #1 enemy, can set up on and eliminate Mega Audino, Scyther, Articuno, and multiple others. In return, Ludicolo has an easy time eliminating Quagsire, Kabutops most notorious counter, with Giga Drain. Finally, Mesprit provides the core with 8 turns of Rain, allowing them to abuse it as much as possible throughout the game & can abuse the rain itself with powerful Thunders. Finally, Mesprit can support Kabutops with Healing Wish, allowing it to set up twice during the game or provide both members with a slow U-Turn, getting both members in safely.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Kabutops @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Mesprit @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Psychic
- Thunder
- Healing Wish / U-Turn

Last edited:
Lapras @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Frost Breath

Mantine @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Air Slash
- Signal Beam

Relicanth @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Double-Edge
- Zen Headbutt

What better way is there to showcase the water type's overwhelming offensive prowess? By using triple specs choice items of course! "What does Lapras even do?" asks your opponent when sent out. But bam, that hydro pump/ice spam sure did a number on them. Next up, Mantine. "He will go for defog here, or for a weak scald." Wrong. It's a strong scald now. All the Rotoms get bopped on a switch in. Signal beam for an ez unexpected ko against Mally. Air slash is a free click, always. Relicanth isnt here to round off the triple specs because all the relevant water types outclass specs with their more versatile movepools, or shell smash. Relicanth is here to click HEAD SMASH. Does over 70% to Weezing. What more do you possibly need?

Em

formerly Based Sexy Pants

The Team
Omastar (M) @ White Herb
Happiness: 8
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shell Smash

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Yawn
- Recover

Vileplume (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 24 SpA / 236 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonlight

Info
Omastar outspeeds Jolly/Timid Swellow by exactly one point at plus 2. I went with Surf over Scald because I have seen Pokemon live +2 Scald's purely because it was Scald, and not Surf. It's not Hydro because I don't like missing.

On Quagsire, Curse could be used over Yawn, or alternatively something weird like Stockpile I guess. It also gets Acid Spray, Haze, Seismic Toss, Rest Talk, and Toxic, but I feel like Yawn is nice team support around a Shell Smasher.

Vileplume has 24 Special Attack to guarantee the 2HKO on standard Ferroseed. Moonlight is also better than Synthesis, because reasons. (Fun fact, Moonlight heals more in the sun because the Japanese name for Sunny Day is Clear Skies.) I like HP Fire over Sleep Powder, because I find it to be more consistent, however Sleep Powder is usable.

In info not relating to the team, look at those Pokemon Crystal sprites! They look so nice. Too bad Crystal ruined Pokemon Gold Jumpluff's sprite...
Gold

Crystal

Shoutouts
Dentricos for getting me to use HP Fire Plume (normally I use Rocky Helmet too, but this core is an exception).
MARCU5theBAW5, because an NU shoutout is badly without mentioning MARCU5.

Octillery @ Splash Plate/Expert Belt or Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Water Spout/Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball

Lapras @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Frost Breath
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Healing Wish
- Trick Room
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast

A core I used back in Dark Horse when I was limited to usage and thought that Lapras would be a nice budget mon to pair with Octillery since it weakens alot of it's checks , mostly bulky waters, and was decently slow as well and could fit onto a trick room team. The whole concept of the core was to weaken each others checks to allow one of them to sweep and break through the opponents team with Trick Room up, an unexpected and underrated playstyle in NU. Mega Audino is one of the tiers best bulky setters that can Healing Wish up one of the TR sweepers and set up TR multiple times throughout the match as well. If you choose to run Water spout with octillery this is very useful as it allows you to come in at full health after HW (barring hazards) and start spamming Water spouts. Running Ice beam also works in this slot to deal with Sligoo should Mega Audino or Lapras go down and it also deals with certain flying types and Cradily better. Fire blast and Energy ball are invaluable coverage moves for bulky grasses and waters respectively. Lapras can deal with bulky waters, especially Mantine which completely stops Octillery, with Freeze dry. It can also weaken Malamar/Ferro for Octillery and having Ice stab is just so nice to keep putting pressure on bulky grasses to help Octillery late game spam its Water stab. Having hazard removal with this core is very nice for Lapras' rocks weakness and for Water SPout Octillery. You can choose to go all out and run specs Octillery however it's beautiful coverage makes switching up moves very appealing. Plus you can bluff specs with ebelt/splash plate. Bulky CM setup mons are big threats to the core, which Frost Breath on Lapras helps with as well as Encore Liepard which was also on this team originally.

Heres an old replay I dug up from Dark Horse showcasing the concept of the team vs scrub shadestep that comes down to the wire and I wont spoil the outcome :]
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-291755645

Another one that shows how the core overwhelms teams that use Ferro as their water resist that also comes down to the wire.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-291526142

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Barbaracle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Switcheroo

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

lure Samurott kills Ferroseed, shits on most things with Hydro, and has a strong GrassKnot vs. Yama or rhydon, hitting them without fear of missing. Scarf Barb with X-Scissor, for sceptile and bulky psychics, + Switcheroo for things like musharna or Sliggoo. Scarf Primeape as the sweeper. EQ is to punish garbodor for coming in, also weakening that for Barbaracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)