Are IVs really worth the effort?

on the other side every single normal Gamer avoids playing with you cuz they know you are cheating.

If you're saying that to me, I wouldn't hack for a pokey with 31 in all stats. I'd still make him seem legit. Say I'll hack a venusaur, I'll give him 28 in def, 29 in sdef and 30 in satk. Wasting hours trying to breed for those is pointless and not fun.

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind too much fighting some guy with 31s in everything. I mean, with some basic trading, you already get pokemons with at least 3-4 31s in each stat.

If you're saying that to me, I wouldn't hack for a pokey with 31 in all stats. I'd still make him seem legit. Say I'll hack a venusaur, I'll give him 28 in def, 29 in sdef and 30 in satk. Wasting hours trying to breed for those is pointless and not fun.
I'm not in favor of hacking, but it wouldn't really be suspicious if you decided to give them 3 perfect IV's. The best Pokemon I've bred so far has a 21, a 28, and three 31s.

Hmm... well I'll think about it. I've still got a ways to go in Diamond before I'm done anyways. But I listed those potential IVs because I wouldn't want to know that the only reason I won was because I had a bunch of perfect IVs I only achieved through cheating.

There are methods of breeding perfect IV pokemon that do not require insane amounts of luck. A friend of mine has boxes full of perfect pokemon that he got using some kind of timing method. He explained how it worked to me, but it seemed incredibly complex and it involved getting the eggs from the daycare man at precisely the right moment.

In any case, if you know what you are doing, breeding for perfect doesn't have to be an excercise in frustration. Of course, its still a tedious process, but breeding in general is tedious so you might as well nab those 31 IV pokes if you can. I will try to get him to post his method on the forums soon. It's about time he gave up the secret for the greater good.

There are methods of breeding perfect IV pokemon that do not require insane amounts of luck. A friend of mine has boxes full of perfect pokemon that he got using some kind of timing method. He explained how it worked to me, but it seemed incredibly complex and it involved getting the eggs from the daycare man at precisely the right moment.

In any case, if you know what you are doing, breeding for perfect doesn't have to be an excercise in frustration. Of course, its still a tedious process, but breeding in general is tedious so you might as well nab those 31 IV pokes if you can. I will try to get him to post his method on the forums soon. It's about time he gave up the secret for the greater good.
Yes, please do tell us about that method. For the greater good.

Breeding isn't hard for me, it just takes a few days of work, putting in two or three hours a day. It's tedious, but it is worth the better pokemon and isn't that bad if you multi task.

I guess I'll settle for that 3% difference mentioned earlier, especially when I know that luck fluxes the damage plus or minus 7%. So I'll go for 27s and above in all but speed.

@Odinwolf: Tell us now before we rip your limbs off. =D

Sounded pretty hypocritical just there, didn't I?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Breeding for IVs gives you protection against hackers/somehow legit trainers with 31 IVs in everything. If you have 31 in the needed stats, and about 20 in the others, the difference is not very high between the opponent and you.

IVs also matter in things like Blissey, who absolutely must have 31 IV in Defense or she dies. A 0 IV Bold Bliss with 252 Def EVs has 96 Defense, which is 1.35x less than 130.

So in general, IVs matter more in low stats if you're aiming for it.

And Imma go kill SePh for saying pretty much what I was about to say

IVs also matter in things like Blissey, who absolutely must have 31 IV in Defense or she dies. A 0 IV Bold Bliss with 252 Def EVs has 96 Defense, which is 1.35x less than 130.
But then HP EVs don't matter so much to Blissey, where 31 IVs make its HP 683 instead of 714. Which is not even a 5% difference, which is the worst possible HP that Blissey could get.

I personally like having something else to obsess and get excited over. My main reasons for IV breeding for the best stats possible have hardly anything to do with battling and more to do with pride in my 'work'. Granted, I've never seriously been into breeding pokemon until D/P, but still... having a pokemon that feels complete to me, even if it took me an extra two weeks to make, makes me feel awesome.

I'm seeing that they're big in speed. That might even be worth going for 31. Other than that I don't see it making you win or lose the game (except Jibaku's Blissey example).

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
When you first start breeding, it's pretty tough to get IV's, natures, egg moves, etc. But, as you do it more and more, it gets easier. You build a "toolbox" of breeding "tools".

For me, the first tools were some Synchronize pokes with the right natures. I used those to get Ditto's with all the OU natures (Adamant, Modest, Timid, and Jolly cover a good portion of all the standard builds). Breed some pokes with 31's in Speed and HP. Eventually, you'll have a nice cache of pokemon with the right combo of genders, natures, and solid IV's in certain stats. Perfect speed IV pokes are always worth keeping around in the "Breeding Box". Somewhere along the line, you chain a few pokes with key egg moves (Curse comes to mind), and you're pretty much set.

Yeah, it takes a long time to get all this stuff. In my case, I didn't really set out to accumulate all those things. I wanted a few specific things, and just started working on it. Next thing you know, I realized I could breed just about anything in a day or two in my spare time. It's tedious riding back and forth for hours, with nothing but a Slugma and a bunch of eggs in tow, but you can do it without paying much attention, so it's not that bad.

He doesn't seem prepared to give away all his secrets, but my friend pointed me to this post here at Smogon:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23986

and said it was based on this principle. Apparently using trial and error, you can discover exactly the correct times to pick up your eggs to score perfect stats. That's all I know at this point. Good luck working it out.

He doesn't seem prepared to give away all his secrets, but my friend pointed me to this post here at Smogon:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23986

and said it was based on this principle. Apparently using trial and error, you can discover exactly the correct times to pick up your eggs to score perfect stats. That's all I know at this point. Good luck working it out.
Oh snap that's complicated, but I see the relation there. Meh, I'll just stick to regular breeding for now, it's getting better now that I have good parents. Unless your friend wants to be more specific at some time >_>

Basically, from what I can understand, that post is just saying that there's a set "seed", or Pokemon with certain IVs, that is determined by how far n has advanced (n, in this case, advances over time). So he's saying that the longer you let n "evolve" and grow (the longer you wait), then the chances that you get different, and possibly better IVs are greater.

But don't listen to me, that's just what I've gathered from it.

I think there's a very viable option for people like the author of the post, who like me, is utterly impatient and hates having to go 1000 times through the same place. The answer is: catch good legendaries and trade them for good pokes. These good pokes can be traded for more good pokes.

Get a synchronizer with a good nature and a master ball (clone it from emerald). Save in front of the pokemon with one spoke slot free. Catch the Pokémon and calculate IVs. Soft reset until you get a good one. I myself have caught a nice Palkia (Hasty 30/24/31/19/0/28) and I only spent two hours doing so. Now I only hope someone will trade it for something decent.

The point is, catching good legendaries by soft reseting is much easier than breeding, especially in D/P (RSE suck because synchronize doesn't work). You can then trade them.

By the way, for expert breeders, it would be nice if you offered your nice "breedtools" to the community for trade. I myself don't want to go catching Dittos and I'm sure most of you have good ones. It'd be for the greater good. ^^

By the way, for expert breeders, it would be nice if you offered your nice "breedtools" to the community for trade. I myself don't want to go catching Dittos and I'm sure most of you have good ones. It'd be for the greater good. ^^
You stole the words from my mouth. That should speed up the production of high quality pokemon!

If there is one thing I hate about the Pokemon games, it's IVs. I haven't finished diamond yet so I'm just playing teams on shoddy battle (which thankfully everyone uses all 31 IV pokeys and levels the playing field), but I'm almost afraid to finish the game and open up wifi. Having to breed egg moves (and make sure the daycare doesn't stupidly erase them), natures, abilities and sometimes gender should be enough for a portable game where you compete for fun. I've got school, a job and tennis to worry about, IVs be damned!

I hate hacking but it seems like I'll have to invest in an AR to boost up some IVs so I can stand a chance. Hopefully it won't screw up my game.
I agree with you there on the first part, but I don't like hacking myself. (Obviously if I did I would have never made this topic. >__<)
Although I haven't heard of any of the 4th gen Pokemon games being messed up by Action Replay yet...

I can understand not having time for Ditto hunting, and wanting to get them that way. But they way you word it, you're just damn lazy.

Although I haven't heard of any of the 4th gen Pokemon games being messed up by Action Replay yet...
I've somehow ended up with 95 Explorer Packs in my letters slot, lol.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You can't trade these breeding tools and give others a shortcut. That ruins their quest for one of the high achievements in pokemon in-game play. The "Monotony Badge" is the unwritten final badge you have to earn in every pokemon game. Here's the battle order in the Monotony Gym (the gym leader is named Game Freak).

1) EV train any pokemon. Macho Brace and Pokerus help a ton, but it's still a huge tedium test to faint dozens of Zubats, one after another, just to get those damn 252 speed EV's.

2) Catch the roaming legendary dog in Kanto. Unless you're really lucky, you'll need all your boredom prevention moves for this one. Not only do you have to wander back and forth over and over, but you also can waste repels, ride through grass needlessly, and soft reset a bunch.

3) Breed for Nature, Gender, IV's, or all of the above. This tedium test has already been covered in this thread.

4) Berry farming. Not hard, but time-consuming. Plant, water, wait, water, wait, pick, repeat, repeat, repeat...

and the final championship fight in the quest for the Monotony Badge...

5) Catch a Feebas and evolve a Milotic in Emerald . This will be the ultimate test of your boredom battling skills. Zig-zagging methodically over every single square of a large body of water, fishing 3-5 times on each square, having to pay close attention to the damn dots on the screen so you can hook the poke at the precisely correct instant, repeat the process hundreds of times for hours and hours on end -- ah, now that's a fight! After that, you get to raise the Beauty of the damn thing, which probably requires a bunch of rare berries (see above). This task is truly the gold standard of mindless minutia.

What fun would it be to rob others of the joy of pursuing this coveted badge?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)