Ask a simple question, get a simple answer — Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to input Fakemon, but I got this error when I tried to run the server:

Warning: problematic abilities for lol.

Where lol is the Fakemon name (just a test one obviously). That was the only error thrown, and lol's ability was Intimidate.

Anyone?

I'm trying to input Fakemon, but I got this error when I tried to run the server:

Warning: problematic abilities for lol.

Where lol is the Fakemon name (just a test one obviously). That was the only error thrown, and lol's ability was Intimidate.

Anyone?
This is a warning presented to you when you run the server, and the patch has recognized that the pokemon 'lol' has been added. Just ignore this message.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I've been blowing off this question for a while, and I think I may even know the answer (I just don't want to accept it), but why is it that the first time you battle for that day, even if you win, your CRE goes down? For example, on the username Tropical Thunder, I started a ladder match for the first time today. I had laddered yesterday as well. My suspect cre was 1563, and then I won a battle, and it was lowered down to 1557. However, after that my rating can start going up, until tomarrow when it goes down slightly for the first battle again.

Is this just some deviation mumbo jumbo? Because I think its rediculous to lose 6 cre points for WINNING a battle when you play consistantly.

Does Smogon have a list of changes or the actual patch file that contains the rules for the Smogon U. metagame available somewhere?

nah the problem is about java my computer tells me that the program is blocked and i cant do anything about it the only thing is ok and i click it and... nothing happends
Are you logged in as an administrator? If not, that could be the problem. As far as I know, Java has never had any security issues, so the problem is probably that you're not logged in as an administrator, or your OS.

Where do i locate the HG/SS moves patch, i cant seem to find it anywhere.
There is no patch. The Smogon Server updates itself. To access the new moves, go to file -> new team. I think you can also edit your existing teams with the new moves.

Is brightpowder banned on shoddy battle?
No, at least not on the Smogon University Server. I'm pretty sure the item banlist is generated by the person who runs the server though.

Who is the strongest player on smogon university and is he/she up for a battle?
At this page, you can see who is at the top of each leaderboard. The score for the player is generated by who currently has the most wins on the ladder. While this does not mean they're the best player, it's as close as you can get. But then again, there really isn't any true "best" player. About them being up for a battle, who knows. You can try challenging them, and if they accept, then you can battle. But the desicion is completely up to that player, it's not like they're seated on a throne, like a gym leader or something.

There is no patch. The Smogon Server updates itself. To access the new moves, go to file -> new team. I think you can also edit your existing teams with the new moves.
I would like to add that it appears that you must choose "Smogon University" from the "Team Builder" section of the welcome screen, rather then "Standard Metagame". For some reason, only teams to be built for Smogon will have the HG/SS moves in them. This confused me for a long time before I figured it out... But if you build the team from inside the Smogon University server, then it automatically uses "Smogon University" so the moves will be there. It also seems that you cannot edit an old pre-HG/SS team to have HG/SS moves, you must remake the team completely.

Vaporeon can learn Barrier/Acid Armor as well as Amnesia, making a good Baton Passer for [special] defense stats, since it has good overall defenses. But I see mostly SubPassing as a protective measure though.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I need to clear this once and for all:

If I get a connection error saying "Connection Reset", is it due to the server, or is it the fault of my internet connection?

And "Timed out"?

Ok, I need to clear this once and for all:

If I get a connection error saying "Connection Reset", is it due to the server, or is it the fault of my internet connection?

And "Timed out"?
I think they're both related to the internet connection. I'm pretty sure timed out is at least. It seems to only say Timed Out, or Connection Reset, when my internet is down. It may be because the server's down too though.

Edit to Faltzer: The username probably isn't available, because somebody else already took it.

When trying to register an account with some Shoddy servers, it seems to say something along the lines of:

The user name you requested is unavailable, or you have used a + or * in your user name.
Despite the user name not containing any such characters.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The server can impose any naming restrictions it wants, and the client will just pop up with that default error message. It's likely that you are using some other illegal characters or something like that

The server can impose any naming restrictions it wants, and the client will just pop up with that default error message. It's likely that you are using some other illegal characters or something like that
That's not the case, since I gather that it's the default build with no customizations made at all.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If it's your server then I suggest you check the error log (wrapper.log) and see if there are any errors.

INFO | jvm 1 | 2009/10/25 19:56:57 | java.sql.SQLException: Insert value list does not match column list message from server: "Column count doesn't match value count at row 1"
INFO | jvm 1 | 2009/10/25 19:56:57 | at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2001)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2009/10/25 19:56:57 | at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1168)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2009/10/25 19:56:57 | at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:1279)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2009/10/25 19:56:57 | at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:2281)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2009/10/25 19:56:57 | at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.execute(PreparedStatement.java:1419)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2009/10/25 19:56:57 | at netbattle.database.registry.DatabaseImpl.addNewUser(DatabaseImpl.java:187)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2009/10/25 19:56:57 | at netbattle.NetClient.authenticateUser(NetClient.java:282)
INFO | jvm 1 | 2009/10/25 19:56:57 | at netbattle.NetClient.run(NetClient.java:377)
Seems like it's the case, however the error is very vague, and I'm not exactly sure what's missing in the INSERT statement.

I was in a Metronome battle for the Riding the Metronome tournament, and my opponent got a move called ShadowStrike. What is this move? I'm sure it doesn't exist in-game.

I was in a Metronome battle for the Riding the Metronome tournament, and my opponent got a move called ShadowStrike. What is this move? I'm sure it doesn't exist in-game.
Ah, I'm assuming you were on Doug's Create-a-Pokemon Server for that battle then. ShadowStrike is the custom move for the Pokemon Kitsunoh there, being a physical Ghost-type move with 80 BP and a 50% chance of lowering the opponent's defense. It is one of only two custom-moves implemented on the server, with the other being Stratagem's Paleo Wave, a special Rock-type attack with 85 BP and a 10% chance of lowering the opponent's defense.

Anyway, since you were playing on the CAP-server, where those moves exist, they got into Metronome's selectable move-list, and thus ShadowStrike appearing.

Well, I have the problem of all the servers appearing empty on the welcome window, even after a few refreshes, and that I can't connect to the Smogon server (apparently I'm already logged on to the server, or my password is wrong). I'm staying in university halls of residence and my question is have there been cases of unis blocking shoddybattle traffic? I know torrents are blocked here, and I'd like to know what sort of traffic Shoddy uses?

I'm thinking of going to talk to the uni IT guys to see what they are blocking/asking if I can be unblocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)