Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition) - Mark II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone given any thought to "backporting" the CAPs to the earlier generations? As I see it the process would be fairly simple - remove all later Gen exclusive moves and abilities, and consider removing certain other moves on either competitive grounds or because they weren't TMs/Tutors in the ported-to Gen. Then implement them on a simulator (probably the hardest bit).

It strikes me that the CAPs are tailored to the DPPt metagame - as such, I think it would be very interesting to see how (albeit with modifications) they do in a metagame they're not tailor-made for. In a similar vein, I think a thread mentioned Uber+CAP play, and Shoddy 2 should let CAPs be used in doubles.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No, simply because Smogon doesn't officially support a simulator that can simulate other gens at this point. If SB2 supports older gens, then "maybe".

If I make a sprite of a cap, would I be able to use it for a sort of commercial use with credit to the original artist, in both the situations that my sprite does get accepted as the cap sprite and the situation that it doesnt?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If I make a sprite of a cap, would I be able to use it for a sort of commercial use with credit to the original artist, in both the situations that my sprite does get accepted as the cap sprite and the situation that it doesnt?
Talk to the original artist first, but I don't see why not seeing as you made the sprite from scratch.

Is there a 'Suggestions/Complaints' box for the CAP project and if not, where can I submit suggestions or make complaints?

-EDIT- Okay.

Why are the discussion threads closed when the poll opens?
Discussion is basically over, so there's no reason to keep them open. If you still want to explain your views of certain moves/abilities/etc, you are still able to do that in the polls. However, you are only allowed to post in the polls with your votes, otherwise your post will be deleted (says so in the poll threads themselves).

are there any palns in the works for CAP to do an evolve-a-pokemon? I understand the same things apply, we might seem too fanboy, not good for metagame, etc. But it would be quick to do and could be a good learning experience. Pherhaps after krilowatt is over have a vote too see if we want something new?

there was an old EVO project in CAP. it fell apart quickly due to lack of competitive direction and weak process. this was discussed today in #cap and there are no plans to try again in foreseeable future.

from this post:

DougJustDoug said:
I have always been an opponent of evolving pokemon in the CAP Project. Anyone who has been around this project from the beginning, knows I have been a very vocal critic of evolutions. I have repeated time and again, that an evolution project lacks any sort of inherent competitive goal, and will therefore be a chaotic mess of fanboy concerns. I opposed evolutions in CAP 1 and 2, when we voted on them. When the CAP subforum started, I banned evolutions from regular CAP projects altogether. At that time, I mentioned that if we ever did an evolution, it would be part of a special project and that project would start ONLY IF a manageable creation process could be organized.

EVO 1 is officially cancelled. This is not up for discussion. We've had enough discussion on it. If you've been wondering why I haven't put my foot down before -- well, I'm putting my foot down now. The EVO project is dead until further notice. I don't want to see any more threads about it. This EVO thing has turned out far worse and caused far more damage than I could have ever imagined. I have spoken to others and considered it heavily. This decision is final.

I've read there was a discussion around the time of CAP 3 about whether Drought/Drizzle would be broken as an ability without being attached to an already generally uber Pokemon. I can't find a link to it though, where can I find it on the forum if it's on there?

There are lots of threads on the matter, but mostly it was tested by allowing a L78 Kyogre or Groudon on a team and seeing how it fared in a competitive nature. There were also Kyogrette and Groudino, though, which created temporary rain and sun. The net result of this was that "weather is hax uber", so yeah. I found some of the relevant threads, see below for the list:

Initial Interest Poll
Main Thread

I was wondering if someone could test Imprison in game to check if it will prevent your opponent from using a move from your moveset the turn you use it, assuming the pokemon that used Imprison went first.

I was trying to use it as a pseudo-taunt in Shoddy and it didn't behave as I expected it to.

Egg Moves

When a new CAP Pokemon is created, are the effects it will have on the egg move compatibilities of other pokemon considered? For example, if a pokemon has a new combination of egg groups, it will enable all kinds of new possibilities for chain breeding, and if one learns a combination of moves that were previously exclusive to different lines, it could allow new combinations of egg moves on some mons.

When will Krilowatt playtesting end? When will I be able to use a normal CAP team on the CAP server?
Krilowatt playtesting just ended two days ago, actually. The new CAP ladder will be put up once Doug has the time. It should be here in the next few days, though, so stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)