Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition) - Mark II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How can one play with the Caps? The download link for the PO patch won't work, and for the life of my i can't find where to get PS.
Here is the link for Pokemon Showdown (well, the beta). CAP2 is not yet available for use on the simulator, however. You'll have to wait until after the inaugural battle for that! Until then, feel free to check out the other CAPs on Pokemon Showdown. Aeo, capefeather, and verbatim have successfully added their movepools today, in fact! I'm not exactly sure about why PO isn't functioning; I do know that it's currently under maintenance. You'll have to sit tight on that front until Theorymon and the gang get it figured out. I hope this helps.

Forgive me if this is plainly spelled out somewhere, but is anyone allowed to participate in CAP polls and discussions? I would like to contribute, as I have been following the CAP program for a long while, long before I joined Smogon.

I'm wondering, can anyone explain to me how Nocturna's movesets' legality is checked? The other Pokemon with sketch, Smeragle, can have any combination of four moves obviously. But how can a program tell that Nocturna is supposed to only have either Shell Smash or Spore, not both?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Essentially its treated as every move that Necturna doesn't learn naturally (and would learn from sketch) is illegal with each other. I don't know the exact programming details but that's the gist of it.

Japanese Names

I've been reading through the forums, and notice a lot of the time you all refer to pokemon or their moves by their Japanese names, or by English names that I am assuming have been more directly translated.

Is there a particular reason? It's slightly confusing to someone newer to the metagame

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been reading through the forums, and notice a lot of the time you all refer to pokemon or their moves by their Japanese names, or by English names that I am assuming have been more directly translated.

Is there a particular reason? It's slightly confusing to someone newer to the metagame
I think you would have to provide some examples for this situation... This shouldn't have happened often within the CAP forum. Across all of Smogon, however, there was quite a long period in which we didn't have the English names of Pokemon; we only had access to their Japanese names. There isn't a great way to accommodate for this if you like to read through old topics (just like me, haha) except by simply looking up a name whenever you see one. Eventually, you'll start to recognize a few of the big ones, like Burungeru = Jellicent, Rankurusu = Reuniclus, etc.

In terms of the CAP forums, CAP1 (Tomohawk) was started after we received the English names. So when navigating the CAP forums, I would hope that you wouldn't run into too many issues with this. If you have any more questions or need some more advice, feel free to shoot me a PM or a VM! Welcome to Smogon!

Forgive me for sounding noobish, but let me get this straight. We're not allowed to post ideas for new pokes even if our knowledge of the project is more than the average Joe, the idea is legitimate and has relevance to the OU game?

if your idea is as good as you claim, then you should have no problem fitting it into the project's guidelines. and if you're as clever as you claim, then people will take notice anyway.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You are allowed to post the idea in the Concept stage of the process. CAP follows a somewhat rigid process to avoid fanboyism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)