Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) you've come to the right place, so the best link I think I can give you would be to the Battling 101 Thread. Here you can get a premier Smogon Player to tutor, or teach, you the ways of competitive pokemon battling; and you've come at the perfect time. The next sign-up time is tomorrow, so be sure to sign up as early as possible.

Good luck, and have fun!
Thanks buddy really appreciate it!

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
I noticed that many people now are using entry hazards. Entry hazards were less common before, peharps this is because of the new genies forms and rain dominance? Well, what happens is that despite what many people say, stall is not uncommon and is in fact a threat to watch.

What I want to know if it's possible to make a team without it being weak to entry hazards, and without the need to use Rapid Spin. This is because I am having a certain difficulty to create a team without Rapid Spin. What happens is that the only reason that I use Forretress over Ferrothorn is because of Rapid Spin. But I want to use Ferrothorn because it has much more utility overall, it has tools that I need more than Rapid Spin, such as Thunder Wave and Leech Seed. Without Ferrothorn I am forced to run Celebi to check rain teams, because I need a Grass-type to do that. If weren't for this, I could run Jirachi as a stallbreaker and not need to run Keldeo for that matter. How can I overcome this? Is stall and entry hazards so dangerous that I need to use Rapid Spin, or Rapid Spin is optional nowadays? Not that Rapid Spin is useless; it's always helpful to get rid of those hazards. Problem is that there are things that I need more than this.

I noticed that many people now are using entry hazards. Entry hazards were less common before, peharps this is because of the new genies forms and rain dominance? Well, what happens is that despite what many people say, stall is not uncommon and is in fact a threat to watch.

What I want to know if it's possible to make a team without it being weak to entry hazards, and without the need to use Rapid Spin. This is because I am having a certain difficulty to create a team without Rapid Spin. What happens is that the only reason that I use Forretress over Ferrothorn is because of Rapid Spin. But I want to use Ferrothorn because it has much more utility overall, it has tools that I need more than Rapid Spin, such as Thunder Wave and Leech Seed. Without Ferrothorn I am forced to run Celebi to check rain teams, because I need a Grass-type to do that. If weren't for this, I could run Jirachi as a stallbreaker and not need to run Keldeo for that matter. How can I overcome this? Is stall and entry hazards so dangerous that I need to use Rapid Spin, or Rapid Spin is optional nowadays? Not that Rapid Spin is useless; it's always helpful to get rid of those hazards. Problem is that there are things that I need more than this.
It's completely possible to field a competitive team without Rapid Spin, but it does limit your options. Mostly, you'll want to stay away from pokemon who are weak to the most common hazard, Stealth Rock. Things like Volcarona and Dragonite obviously need a Spinner if they want to be effective, so you'll need to stay away from them and their ilk. Sun and Hail teams are also a bad idea, since their inducers (and many of their respective weather abusers) are SR weak as well.

However, there are many awesome pokemon who aren't overly bothered by hazards, such as Latios, Lucario, Genesect, Hydreigon, and Reuniclus. Try building a team around one of them. I also recommend you carry either a Taunter or a Magic Bounce pokemon as a failsafe against Stall. A good stallbreaker like Mew can completely shut down many defensive teams and prevents them from setting up, while Espeon or Xatu can use enemy hazards to your advantage. If your core ends up being susceptible to Toxic Spikes, a good Poison-type like Amoongus wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I wouldn't put Genesect in that group. Being neutral to Spikes and Stealth Rock isn't great when you're spamming U-Turn constantly. I use Genesect on a team with no Rapid Spin, and while it tends to do just fine with just Stealth Rock up, when a layer of Spikes shows up as well for 25% damage upon switchins, it puts a real cap on how much it can accomplish.

Lavos

Banned deucer.

yes it's completely possible to use a team that's not horribly weak to entry hazards. in my experience the best non-hazard-weak team is generally something that focuses on a magic guard user sweep (reuniclus/sigilyph). magic guard is an ability that prevents the user from taking entry hazard damage, weather damage, burn damage, and poison damage, so it's ideal for what you're describing. if i were you, i'd consider starting off with a team of standard tyranitar / scarf landorus / band terrakion / specs magnezone / specs keldeo / calm mind reuniclus. this lineup hits hard and fast for the most part, so you don't have to worry about entry hazards getting stacked up on you because the opponent often won't even have time to set up due to the amazing offensive pressure created by band terrakion + specs keldeo. the team can even ruin stall, as calm mind reuniclus is hands down the best stallbreaking sweeper in the current metagame. give this lineup a try, adjust it if you need to.

sorry, that was a bit drawn out, but my underlying point is that rapid spin isn't necessary or even that good in this metagame. with all the fast-paced rain offense running around, most team don't carry any more hazards than stealth rock, so if you can live with 12.5% damage every time you switch in then there's no real need to "waste" a slot on a rapid spinner. sometimes a spinner can be great for a team if it's really weak to spike stacking, a playstyle that still exists, but they're not a must-have nowadays.

i hope i helped, thanks for reading.

People says that Loom & Zor have the strongest priority. But isn't Conkledurr's Status Orb Mach Punch or the Iron Fist one actually stronger?

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Conkeldurr cannot run a boosting item, as it must rely on its Status Orb to activate the 1.5x boost it gets from Guts. Breloom, on the other hand, while it has slightly lower attack, has the benefit of Technician boosting its Mach Punch without requiring it to waste its item slot. Thus, Breloom and Scizor can run Life Orb or Choice Band and end up doing more damage than Conkeldurr ever could unboosted.

Is the time a Pokemon is asleep quivalent to that of its opponent if it was put to sleep due to synchronize?

EX:
Gardevoirs attcks.
Genger used Hypnosis!
The foe's Gardevois fell asleep!
Synchronize actiavtes and puts Gengar to sleep as well--will they both be asleep for the same length?

~hoblaph

hi i'm new to site and i want to do more on it and hopefully learn to battle on a high lv where can i go to do this stuff
You should sign up for the Battling 101 program: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Is the time a Pokemon is asleep quivalent to that of its opponent if it was put to sleep due to synchronize?
No, the length of time each Pokémon is asleep is random and independent of the other Pokémon.
Edit @ Cincinno: Oh well my answer still applies to Synchronise statuses but his answer takes precedence

EX:
Gardevoirs attcks.
Genger used Hypnosis!
The foe's Gardevois fell asleep!
Synchronize actiavtes and puts Gengar to sleep as well--will they both be asleep for the same length?

~hoblaph
Synchronize only works with burn, poison, and paralysis, unfortunately. =)

How do you active the Hoenn Sound and Sinnoh Sound? I've checked the radio on the respective dates and I couldn't find them.
Apparently you have to syntonize(select) Pokemon March on the radio. Into it, the required days, they will sound the Hoenn/Sinnoh Sounds.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In all the recent weeks with everyone talking about gothitelle I have yet to see one. What can I expect from it when I encounter it?

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In all the recent weeks with everyone talking about gothitelle I have yet to see one. What can I expect from it when I encounter it?
First of all, don't underestimate it. It's stats may not look like much, but they're often just enough to do what it has to do.

Also, to properly predict when it's going to come in to trap, search for VoltTurners in team preview, and try to get a sense of what their team's goal is. If you have a pokemon that may be problematic for your opponent, you can be sure that they will use Gothitelle to take you out.

If you're already trapped, you can probably assume choice- it's the most common set. If not, it's probably support or CM- most of the time, it's easy to tell based on who your opponent is trying to trap. It's moveset can be any of Psychic/Tbolt/Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball/HP Fire/HP Ice.

A good way to prevent Gothitelle from working is by being unpredictable- it's often tailored to just counter a few pokemon, so if you can bait it in and take it out with a different pokemon, giving you a lot of momentum. And don't play too recklessly.

I'll just ask my question here, what do you guys think is an ideal anti lead, and are leads even necessary anymore?

I'll just ask my question here, what do you guys think is an ideal anti lead, and are leads even necessary anymore?
Dedicated leads aren't necessary anymore unless you plan on using a Hyper Offensive team. Otherwise, just leading with the Poke that just has a good match up against most of your opponents Pokes is the best way to go. Of course there is the Team Preview mindgame of trying to guess what your opponent will send out but that is a whole other layer/problem. The idea with matchup is also why people send out a Volt-Switch / U-turn user as the first Pokemon in the game. That way, if they mess up in Team Preview, they can just fix that mistake through their move. Whether an opponent stays in or switches, you will always have the option of a better matchup.

Yes, on a particular set, since it allows Latias to beat things like Blissey one-on-one with a set of Dragon Pulse / Calm Mind / Recover / Refresh. Keep in mind though that is usefulness is pretty much limited to this exact set; otherwise it generally is not worth the moveslot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)