Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds stupid,but I beat the Elite Four twice already.
I wanna start doing Wi-Fi battles but what is stopping me is that my PKMN aren't level 100.
They're like level 70-80. What's the fastest way to get em to level 100 WITHOUT AR?
Reply ASAP plz.

This sounds stupid,but I beat the Elite Four twice already.
I wanna start doing Wi-Fi battles but what is stopping me is that my PKMN aren't level 100.
They're like level 70-80. What's the fastest way to get em to level 100 WITHOUT AR?
Reply ASAP plz.

If by without AR you mean just AR, you can use one of many online programs like PokeSav

If by without AR you mean in general, you just have to train them up on a lot of wild Pokemon, preferably going into the shaking grasses where Audino are, they give a lot of experience, or going to the Elite Four and beating them repeatedly.
I also think there's a held item that doubles experience (lucky egg?) obviously a good idea to use that too.

Asking this here because I don't want to clog up the Garchomp suspect discussion with questions that are potentially dumb or might already have been asked, and I think that I saw discussions on the subject were declared over there at some point, but anyway:

I've seen in the big NP thread that the council has decided that a Sand Stream + Sand Veil ban wouldn't work in the same way a Drizzle + Swift Swim ban did, and that it won't be enacted just for the sake of saving Cacturne's movepool. However, would a complex ban along the lines of 'If Sand Stream is not banned, then Sand Veil is banned' be possible? It has the same degree of complexity as 'If a Drizzle user is on your team, then a Swift Swim user cannot be on your team', prevents the ability being used in OU, and doesn't hinder Cacturne's viability in lower tiers. Sand Veil is only noncompetitive in tiers where Sand Stream exists, so that would appear to be a way to ban the broken element without doing unnecessary collateral damage. Is there something obvious that I'm missing? Would it be too difficult to program or is there some policy reason why such a ban isn't possible?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we just put a ban on sand veil...in OU? I mean, if you were playing OU, then you couldn't use sand veil. You could use it as much as you like in any other tier. If you're using cacture in OU, then you better play by the rules of OU. It could be able to keep sand veil and its apparently necessary moves in the lower tiers? It's looking at the situation kind of like moody - back when it got banned from ubers, it was the question of whether ubers was a tier or banlist. Are NU --> UU tiers, or just usage statistics? I don't see why a ban on sand veil in just OU would really affect much else, aside from removing the broken abusers from OU.

EDIT: wow, oops, I thought this WAS the garchomp suspect test. I guess it's kind of an answer to your above post, Melvini.

haunter

Banned deucer.
OU bans also affect lower tiers and that's the reason why a blank ban on sand veil would determine the ban of the ability from every tier barring ubers.

Suspect Testing is when the OU council to decide to release something into the metagame to see how it fares. Recently, Rough Skin and Sand Veil Garchomp have been tested on a separate ladder on Pokemon Showdown to see how it fares. There is a benchmark of a certain number of points needed on the ladder to have a say in whether the Pokemon in question stays or goes. The thread for the most recent Suspect Test can be found here.

After browsing a bit of R/S/E Ubers (I was bored ok) I found this under Groundon's analysis:

Switches

If Kyogre switches into Groudon, or vice versa, the weather will change.

If Kyogre and Groudon switch into each other at the same time, then the person who makes the decision last switches in their Pokémon last, thus dominating the skies. In matches where a person has a limited amount of time to move, this can cause the players to try and play chicken, waiting until the clock is as close to running out as they dare before punching in the move, and praying the connection doesn't lag.

Is this true? Was it true then? Does it apply to BW? Hoax?

Hey yall, im a new member and was referred to this thread by Birkal. Im just learning competitive pkmn, but ive played the games my whole life (im 23). Anyways, I understand how the tiers work, but im curious as to yall opinions on a few pkmn. I am trying to learn how to structure my first team and all that jazz, but having a little bit of a hard time figuring out exactly what I want. Anyways, here are some of the pkmn in question:

Articuno
Dragonite
Arcanine
Moltres
Hydreigon
Raichu
Lapras
Froslass
Sandslash
Kabutops

There are a ton of other pkmn that I really really love, but im not really thinking too much about it right now. Also, Im not familiar with the BW pokemon at all as I havent played those games yet, Ive been too busy recently with playing street fighter and UMvC3 competitively, but I plan on getting around to it. The only reason I know anything about Hydreigon is because a friend of mine showed him to me and I love the way he looks and his typing. Also, are any tier classes looked down upon ? like....do competitive OU players look down on UU players or anything like that ? (and try to be objective / unbiased).

Anyways, I appreciate any feedback and advice. Thanks yall.

If anyone ever needs any help with SF / MVC, hit me up =) I was ranked #4 in the US with Guy in SSF4AEv2012, then I dropped the game to pursue UMvC3 full time.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
do competitive OU players look down on UU players or anything like that ? (and try to be objective / unbiased).
only the ones that are assholes; every tier is equal. just remember that no matter how good a pokemon can be in a lower tier, that ultimately doesn't say anything about its potential in higher tiers.

anyway if you're curious about any particular pokemon's niche, go look it up in smogon's strategy dex. mons such as articuno will have no OU analysis because... er... they suck in OU and there's no way around the fact. generally once you get familiar with the game, it should be self-explanatory why mons like articuno suck. an analysis for a given tier generally indicates that a mon has a niche there, however small. the analyses are a great way to get into pokemon because they're simple to pick up and absorb.

if you come from pokemon having only played in the story mode, you'll probably be confused as to the great relevance of things like boosting moves (eg swords dance, dragon dance) and entry hazards (eg stealth rock); these things tend to look useless in in-game play and so it seems inexplicable that any player would use them in competitive play, which is arguably much more difficult than standard in game. you'll learn why these things are important as you play/read. their power is difficult to explain. if you really wanna see it happen live, go grab a team of six random mons from what you would have used in a pokemon story mode run-through, hop onto pokemon showdown, and find a battle. you'll get utterly smashed - a bit discouraging, but an easy way to see why in-game tactics don't cut it for competitive metagames.

I see.....hmm....cause there seem to be a lot of low tiered pokemon that I really like a lot, but wouldnt be viable with other pkmn I like due to either the lower ones being put on an OU team, or it not being possible to due to OU's obviously not being allowed on a lower tiered team.

well, for competition wise, as in....real competitons, not on a battle sim (Im talking about competitions / tournies where a prize or money is involved) are OU / Uber the only tiers used ? or are there different tournies for different level of tiers ? are there even prize tournies at all ?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
the only official competition (ie run by nintendo) is VGC; check it out here on smogon in the associated forum if you're interested. it has its own tiering system, metagame and banlist (double battles only, most major legendaries banned, sky drop glitch banned, iirc everything else is up for grabs)

it's important to understand, of course, that the tiers made here are assembled in-house by smogon's own. this place is pretty classy as far as competitive pokemon goes, and from what i know it influences many other competitive pokemon scenes, but it's not really "official", and nintendo pays it little heed.

only the ones that are assholes; every tier is equal. just remember that no matter how good a pokemon can be in a lower tier, that ultimately doesn't say anything about its potential in higher tiers.
Just pointing out that this is a misconception- http://www.smogon.com/philosophy

"The "OU metagame" is in no ways perfect, but it should be pointed out that 99% of multiplayer games are often plagued by imbalance and the resulting "tiers", and it is fortunate that Pokémon's detailed depth, combined with the intelligent minds of its players, working to prevent various abuses, is capable of producing a diverse and enjoyable arena. However, there is still a search for betterment—the "UU metagame" is an attempt to give a more interesting look at Pokémon that may not compete well with the stronger Pokémon of the game; on the other side of the spectrum, the "uber metagame" exists to develop an understanding of Pokémon's strongest and most brutal combatants. However, the "OU metagame", an entity that has existed in an official state since Pokémon Stadium's Poke Cup, is the main concentration of this document."

Which means- OU is the 1st tier, Ubers is the banlist for things that break it, and the lower tiers are built to show us an alternate balanced metagame featuring pokemon that don't see much usage in OU. Until BW only UU was tiered, NU was just there. The point is all tiers are absolutely not equal, OU is the main metagame until Smogon forgets what it is.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
well, for competition wise, as in....real competitons, not on a battle sim (Im talking about competitions / tournies where a prize or money is involved) are OU / Uber the only tiers used ? or are there different tournies for different level of tiers ? are there even prize tournies at all ?
By "real" competitions, do you mean ones officially endorsed by TPCi? The only such ones are Wi-Fi tournaments and VGC, both of which are doubles metagames and as such are totally different from Smogon's metagames.

Smogon also has tournaments, but they're only played for bragging rights and sometimes trophy badges, not any tangible rewards. But there's also a much wider variety of tournaments, covering all the tiers and a lot of unofficial metagames (one recent tournament required that you only use level-up moves, another one restricted you to only Kanto Pokémon, etc.)

so things like drizzle / swift swim arent banned in nintendos official competition ?

Also, regarding tiers:

Im not sure if its the same in pokemon, but I dont see why it wouldnt be. Ill use an example of something im much more familiar with. In Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, the team synergy of Morrigan / Doom / (Akuma / Ammy / a lot of other characters) is so strong that it instantly shoots Morrigan up from being an A- / B+ tier character, up to a near S tier character. Her synegy with her teammates (namely Doom) is so insanely good, that you have basically have to have a pocket counter team ready for MorriDoom (which is pretty damn hard to do on its own). My point is, by having very strong team synergy, is it possible to use pokemon that are typically not considered viable in OU ? Like I said, I dont see why not, but then again im a competitive fighting game player, and im just learning competitive pkmn.

btw, if anyone wants to see what im talking about (if you dont already know) regarding the MorriDoom synergy, just youtube any ChrisG Morrigan / Doom match. you should see pretty quickly why they have such amazing chemistry and why they are (literally) a game changing combination.

By "real" competitions, do you mean ones officially endorsed by TPCi? The only such ones are Wi-Fi tournaments and VGC, both of which are doubles metagames and as such are totally different from Smogon's metagames.

Smogon also has tournaments, but they're only played for bragging rights and sometimes trophy badges, not any tangible rewards. But there's also a much wider variety of tournaments, covering all the tiers and a lot of unofficial metagames (one recent tournament required that you only use level-up moves, another one restricted you to only Kanto Pokémon, etc.)

Im referring to any particular series or official major that has a predefined set of rules that is the general accepted "competitive" ruleset. For example, the smash bros series has the SWF ruleset and those majors, street fighter / marvel have the road to EVO series and the (near) monthly major national tournament with a predefined ruleset, Halo (which I also competed in as a part of MLG in the 06-08 seasons) is on the MLG national circuit and has a predefined, typically accepted competitive tournament ruleset.

Im not really referring to things like local tournies, or just random tournies that vary depending on who your playing. Im talking about a predetermined ruleset that has been set and is considered the norm.

by the way, thanks a ton for all of the help and answers so far, yall are actually a very helpful board....much moreso than certain games ive played....cough*T6*cough

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
so things like drizzle / swift swim arent banned in nintendos official competition ?

Also, regarding tiers:

Im not sure if its the same in pokemon, but I dont see why it wouldnt be. Ill use an example of something im much more familiar with. In Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, the team synergy of Morrigan / Doom / (Akuma / Ammy / a lot of other characters) is so strong that it instantly shoots Morrigan up from being an A- / B+ tier character, up to a near S tier character. Her synegy with her teammates (namely Doom) is so insanely good, that you have basically have to have a pocket counter team ready for MorriDoom (which is pretty damn hard to do on its own). My point is, by having very strong team synergy, is it possible to use pokemon that are typically not considered viable in OU ? Like I said, I dont see why not, but then again im a competitive fighting game player, and im just learning competitive pkmn.

btw, if anyone wants to see what im talking about (if you dont already know) regarding the MorriDoom synergy, just youtube any ChrisG Morrigan / Doom match. you should see pretty quickly why they have such amazing chemistry and why they are (literally) a game changing combination.
The Wi-Fi/VGC ban list is really straightforward, just BST 660+ legendaries, event-only legendaries, Sky Drop (due to the glitch), and Dark Void.

Tiers in Smogon's metagames (they don't exist in Wi-Fi/VGC) are completely different from other competitive games, because they're based on usage rather than power. The idea is that the better Pokémon will naturally be used more, so they'll tend toward the higher tiers. That also means that Pokémon that aren't in higher tiers aren't necessarily bad, they just aren't popular, are hard to fit onto most teams, or are outclassed by something else. Many are viable in OU, they just might require a certain type of team to support them. That's something you can learn to do once you get more experienced.
Im referring to any particular series or official major that has a predefined set of rules that is the general accepted "competitive" ruleset. For example, the smash bros series has the SWF ruleset and those majors, street fighter / marvel have the road to EVO series and the (near) monthly major national tournament with a predefined ruleset, Halo (which I also competed in as a part of MLG in the 06-08 seasons) is on the MLG national circuit and has a predefined, typically accepted competitive tournament ruleset.

Im not really referring to things like local tournies, or just random tournies that vary depending on who your playing. Im talking about a predetermined ruleset that has been set and is considered the norm.

by the way, thanks a ton for all of the help and answers so far, yall are actually a very helpful board....much moreso than certain games ive played....cough*T6*cough
Well, Smogon's official tournaments (not counting the "fun" ones) have predetermined rulesets, and they're considered the norm by thousands of players, but they're not recognized by any entity that's actually affiliated with the game, so I'm not sure whether or not they're what you're looking for. If that's what you want, then you can find the tournament forum here, if not then you probably want to check out VGC.

alright, thank you for the valuable info, I really appreciate it. Is the only way to learn how to structure / build a team just to do it and learn through trial and error ? or (aside from the tutoring thing, because im not 100% sure what my availability is and I dont want to make someone commit to me if I cant commit to them and the program) is there any way I could get general team building strats ? Ive looked at a lot of the pokemon I like, and a lot of them seem to have high Atk stat, and usually decent Spd. The problem im facing is I dont know if I should have a wide variety of types on my team, or if I should revolve my team around a weather situation, or if I should base my team around anything else in particular....idk. I may be overthinking it, but I feel like there are so many variables for each member of my team, and im having trouble streamlining things.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
alright, thank you for the valuable info, I really appreciate it. Is the only way to learn how to structure / build a team just to do it and learn through trial and error ? or (aside from the tutoring thing, because im not 100% sure what my availability is and I dont want to make someone commit to me if I cant commit to them and the program) is there any way I could get general team building strats ? Ive looked at a lot of the pokemon I like, and a lot of them seem to have high Atk stat, and usually decent Spd. The problem im facing is I dont know if I should have a wide variety of types on my team, or if I should revolve my team around a weather situation, or if I should base my team around anything else in particular....idk. I may be overthinking it, but I feel like there are so many variables for each member of my team, and im having trouble streamlining things.
You should take a look at the BW Articles for more information on what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)