Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to Sketch Memento in D/P? I've tried the "sleep your partner in 2v2" trick, but moves selected by a sleeping Pokemon can't be sketched in D/P. I recall being able to pull that trick off in Ruby years ago.

I'm not sure Focus Sash can save a Pokemon from fainting via Memento. I'd imagine it works like Self-Destruct/Explosion. If Focus Sash allowed Pokemon to essentially use those moves twice, that'd be broken as hell.

EDIT: Just confirmed it. Focus Sash doesn't keep a Pokemon from fainting via Memento. Any other ideas?

I'm not sure Focus Sash can save a Pokemon from fainting via Memento. I'd imagine it works like Self-Destruct/Explosion. If Focus Sash allowed Pokemon to essentially use those moves twice, that'd be broken as hell.
Well as long as they are in full health. SR/SS a priority move rips it up anyway. Not to mention people would consider it increddibly cheap, and ban it.

Test it out.

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is it possible to Sketch Memento in D/P? I've tried the "sleep your partner in 2v2" trick, but moves selected by a sleeping Pokemon can't be sketched in D/P. I recall being able to pull that trick off in Ruby years ago.
Double battle. Do this.

Taunt Memento user
Memento user can't use Memento
Sketch Memento user
Done

It should work if I'm right.

Double battle. Do this.

Taunt Memento user
Memento user can't use Memento
Sketch Memento user
Done

It should work if I'm right.
Tried it in a rather elaborate way and it didn't work. The only quirks in my method was that I didn't have Taunt on Smeargle and my Smeargle was slower than Weezing (due to level difference).

So what I did for Weezing after choosing Memento on the first turn was to use an item for 2 turns. But since Sketch copies the last move used (and it doesn't matter how long ago that was), that shouldn't matter.

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
Taunt user should have gone first for it to work, which basically means feed Smeargle Rare Candies, Sketch Taunt on it, and try again.

Taunt user should have gone first for it to work, which basically means feed Smeargle Rare Candies and try again.
The entire sequence:

Tyranitar Taunts Weezing
Weezing can't use Memento due to Taunt

Item is used for Weezing's turn
Tyranitar switches out; Smeargle switches in

Item is used for Weezing's turn
Smeargle tries to Sketch Weezing but Sketch fails

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
You know what? Lemme test this right now and see what happens. I'm pretty sure if one follows the exact sequence with no intermediate steps it should work.
EDIT: Actually, nvm

Or give Weezing an item to slow it down.
Perfect! Lagging Tail should work. Smeargle still needs Taunt though.

Is there a place with the attack names in D/P but translated more accurately? Like how Sucker Punch=Ambush, Nasty Plot=Scheme, ect...

so does psypoke, but i had always thought it didnt. anyway, i did try it (dont know why i didnt in the first place) and it works.

You know what? Lemme test this right now and see what happens. I'm pretty sure if one follows the exact sequence with no intermediate steps it should work.
EDIT: Actually, nvm

Perfect! Lagging Tail should work. Smeargle still needs Taunt though.
Yeah, tried it with all of that and the intermediate steps didn't affect the outcome. It still failed.

Smeargle Taunts Weezing
Weezing can't Memento due to Taunt

Smeargle tries to Sketch Weezing but fails.

Any other ideas?

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hmmm, I'll experiment with it then. I know Baton pass can be Sketched even though the user is no longer on the field.

youre trying to sketch memento?

i heard (but have never checked) that if say weezing is sleeping but selects memento, then smeargle can sketch it. (this sounds dodgey to me but i thought i'd throw it in.)

also, i may have missed more of the discussion, but if there is only one opponent and it is flying or using protect (etc), does memento fail?

also, i may have missed more of the discussion, but if there is only one opponent and it is flying or using protect (etc), does memento fail?
Memento kills you even if you fail to affect your opponent for whatever reason. I've only tried it with protect but I assume it's the same for clear body and such.

youre trying to sketch memento?

i heard (but have never checked) that if say weezing is sleeping but selects memento, then smeargle can sketch it. (this sounds dodgey to me but i thought i'd throw it in.)

The sleeping trick works in Ruby IIRC but I've tried doing it in D/P and it fails. I had to resort to using a Damp Pokemon to Sketch Explosion for that reason.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about your PM; I just haven't gotten around to deciding what else I wanted. :p

The sleeping trick doesn't work in Emerald either. I seem to remember somebody saying it was only in R/S where it worked (meaning FR/LG is probably no good either).

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
Can't breed Dittos, period. If you do, it's frowned upon and will most likely get you blacklisted or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)