Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 22 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I need help with a rather odd situation. I have a Soul Silver cartridge that is currently experiencing a permanent "Connection Error" when I attempt to enter the main menu. I know with an AR you can edit save files with Pokesav; however, could I use the AR to try to grab my save file from the dead cartridge, buy a new Soul Silver, and place the save file in the new cartridge so I don't lose everything I've done? Assume that the Connection Error doesn't affect the AR's ability to copy the save file.

What would you consider to be the best HM Slaves in HG? My team was going to be Feraligatr, Ampharos, Fearow, Arcanine (Replaced by Ho-Oh later) and then two HM slaves.

If I can't have two hm slaves with most if not all hms, which HM moves should go to which pokemon?

Nidoqueen/Nidoking can learn all HM's except Fly and Waterfall if my memory serves me correct. Feraligatr can learn all except Fly.

What would you consider to be the best HM Slaves in HG? My team was going to be Feraligatr, Ampharos, Fearow, Arcanine (Replaced by Ho-Oh later) and then two HM slaves.

If I can't have two hm slaves with most if not all hms, which HM moves should go to which pokemon?
Well, Chinchou can learn Whirlpool, Surf, and Waterfall, as well as the TM Flash (which you need to navigate most caves, unless you like stumbling around in the dark), so if you don't want to relegate any of those to Feraligatr, it makes a pretty good HM slave.

According to Serebii, if you can manage to get another HG/SS starter (needs to be at final stage), a Pinsir (from the Bug-Catching Contest), or a Sandshrew/slash (I think the Safari Zone has them earliest), they can learn all four of Rock Smash, Rock Climb, Cut, and Strength, so that would enable you to have all the HMs (except for Fly, which you'd probably want to teach to Fearow anyways) as well as Flash and Rock Climb.

Can someone explain in detail exactly what governs a Freeze break? I know the classic thaws such as berry and a fire attack on them. But I've heard using a Fire move itself can thaw your Poke (I think it's just Overheat, but I don't know.). I'm mainly just confused because I always used something like a Full Heal ingame, and I never really got frozen in Shoddy.
I know using Flame Wheel thaws the user out, but I'm not sure about any other Fire attacks. I would imagine Flare Blitz would though.

And cheers Baztard and MagicMaster87 :)

A Sentret for Cut, Surf and Whirlpool; a Geodude for Strength, Rock Smash and Rock Climb; Fearow or Ho-Oh should get Fly; Feraligatr should get Waterfall.

I know using Flame Wheel thaws the user out, but I'm not sure about any other Fire attacks. I would imagine Flare Blitz would though.
When Ho-Oh uses Sacred Fire, it insta-thaws as well.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

And cheers Baztard :)
Freezing can only be cured by the user using either Flame Wheel or Sacred Fire. Nothing else.

I got two different answers on this one.

Question:

If I breed a Pokemon (fresh level 1 egg), and use 98 rare candies on him. (making it level 99), and then collect 510 EV points before it turns level 100, and then I use one more rare candy, will the Pokemon be raised with all of it's stats correctly?

If not, what is the maximum level I can raise it with rare candies before it becomes illdeveloped?
This answer makes perfect sense:
Yes, that will work. As long as you get all the EVs before reaching level 100, you will always get the full effect.
This answer doesn't make a lot of sense:
It will NOT. The first part of the method you described is fine: getting it to level 99 with Rare Candies and getting its EVs. However, Rare Candies do not apply EVs, so you'd have to give it the last level manually. It's better to do it the other way around: get its EVs at low levels, get one more natural level-up, and then use the Rare Candies.
New question:
If rayquazamaster776 is correct, then what would be the maximum level a Pokemon could reach 510 EV's at, without being affect by leveling it with Rare Candies to 100?

This question probably goes back to Derek:

So we all know that some people train on the E4 just to get their pokemon to lvl 100 without realizing that EV's benefit them. If a person was to give a pokemon the maximum amount of EV's (510) and have the pokemon be like lvl 20-30, would it be safe to say that only THEN will the E4 be the easy way to train to lvl 100, after it has been EV'd?

So we all know that some people train on the E4 just to get their pokemon to lvl 100 without realizing that EV's benefit them. If a person was to give a pokemon the maximum amount of EV's (510) and have the pokemon be like lvl 20-30, would it be safe to say that only THEN will the E4 be the easy way to train to lvl 100, after it has been EV'd?
Once a Pokemon has 510 EV's, then yes you can train on whatever you want to raise it to level 100, including the E4, but the training itself wouldn't be any "easier".

My question is a certain scenario on whether or not you can Rare Candy the last level if it's EV's were received between 99-100.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Once a Pokemon has 510 EV's, then yes you can train on whatever you want to raise it to level 100, including the E4, but the training itself wouldn't be any "easier".

My question is a certain scenario on whether or not you can Rare Candy the last level if it's EV's were received between 99-100.
It makes no difference whether you use a Rare Candy or level up manually. Both ways will have the stats increase from the EVs.

So this answer is wrong?

It will NOT. The first part of the method you described is fine: getting it to level 99 with Rare Candies and getting its EVs. However, Rare Candies do not apply EVs, so you'd have to give it the last level manually. It's better to do it the other way around: get its EVs at low levels, get one more natural level-up, and then use the Rare Candies.

I know all the threads have been locked so maybe people are sick of talking about it D; but could I use the Ditto glitch to get a Clefable with 2 egg moves (Wish and Belly Drum) and if I could how would I do it and would it be "legal" since they're both moves Clefable can learn?

I'm sure it's been asked like a million times and people are sick of it but I've wanted this Clefable for like a year so I'm asking please thanks.

Quick EV Question

I'm just now getting into EVs and the other more competitive aspects of the game and have a quick question. When you are EV training and have fought x number of y EV giving Pokemon and have filled the respected EV stats you want, does it matter what other Pokemon I fight past that?

I'm training a Haunter now and I have filled (to my knowledge, at least...but again, I'm new to this) the EVs that I want filled. Now that that is done, can I just train it to level 100 using any Pokemon without messing up the EVs I have filled? (for example, fighting the Elite Four to level it up)

EDIT: Oh, snap! I guess my quesiton was answered like 4 posts above. I just wanted to make sure that EVs weren't cycled or something.

I'm just now getting into EVs and the other more competitive aspects of the game and have a quick question. When you are EV training and have fought x number of y EV giving Pokemon and have filled the respected EV stats you want, does it matter what other Pokemon I fight past that?

I'm training a Haunter now and I have filled (to my knowledge, at least...but again, I'm new to this) the EVs that I want filled. Now that that is done, can I just train it to level 100 using any Pokemon without messing up the EVs I have filled? (for example, fighting the Elite Four to level it up)
Funny lol, I had the EXACT same question as you. From the responses that I have gotten, it doesn't matter what you fight AFTER you have the EV's you want.

Funny lol, I had the EXACT same question as you. From the responses that I have gotten, it doesn't matter what you fight AFTER you have the EV's you want.
Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it if a lot of people have our question. None of the EV guides I have read cover this. It seems fairly obvious, too.

Yeah, just make sure they are fully trained by getting an Effort Ribbon then you can do what you want with them.

I finished ev training my SS team today with only a Macho Brace (never again oh God) because I didn't want them to lose points against the Elite Four. But now I'm ready ;D

Yeah, just make sure they are fully trained by getting an Effort Ribbon then you can do what you want with them.

I finished ev training my SS team today with only a Macho Brace (never again oh God) because I didn't want them to lose points against the Elite Four. But now I'm ready ;D
Lol same issue here. EV training can be tedious but worth it in a long run :D

Use the Random Number Generator, or the masuda method (I hope I spelled it right).

Masuda method is where if you breed a Pokemon from a different country than yours, there is a much higher chance of finding a shiny egg (it's still a very slim chance, but it drops it from one in 8000 to one in 2000, I can't remember the exact numbers).

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there an application I can use to find natures for hatching shiny's other than reseting and praying?
If you mean finding out what nature an egg is, then if you put it in a box in the PC, hover over something else in the same spot but on a different box, then as the ticker on the bottom left is about to change to nature, press L or R to change to the box with the egg, thus allowing you see what nature the egg is before it hatches. If you mean you want shiny eggs, then what Rein said is correct.

In Heart Gold I use a Kingler with Strength, Rock Smash, Whirlpool, and Surf, along with a Farfetch'd with Cut and Fly. That seems to serve pretty well

I have been looking for information on this for several hours, and it seems as if it isn't really referenced in any of the guides here on Smogon, considering HG/SS is still new and people have not had time to properly research the US version yet. How does RNG manipulation in HG/SS differ from DPPt? Can I advance the RNG through the Pokegear? If so, how? What can I use as a substitute for the Magikarp Coin Flip, considering there is no Poketech in HG/SS? If somebody can basically outline the differences in the RNG in both games, or at least point me towards the proper thread it would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)