Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was under the impression that we could talk about Draco Meteor any time we want...

Pokemon that benefit from Gyarados removal include: Heatran, Infernape, Tyranitar, other Gyarados, Flinch-hax Jirachi, Machamp, Gliscor, Heracross, Physical Kingdra, Weavile, Mamoswine, Metagross, Lucario, Scizor, and Swampert.

I was under the impression that we could talk about Draco Meteor any time we want...

Pokemon that benefit from Gyarados removal include: Heatran, Infernape, Tyranitar, other Gyarados, Flinch-hax Jirachi, Machamp, Gliscor, Heracross, Physical Kingdra, Weavile, Mamoswine, Metagross, Lucario, Scizor, and Swampert.
Tyranitar isn't usually too afraid of Gyarados unless it already has a Dragon dance or two up. A number of Metagross use Thunderpunch nowadays. I would look out for the stray Stone Edge from a Heracross, Lucario, or Gliscor, and Machamp commonly uses Stone Edge. Swampert takes a hit from Gyarados easily and if Gyarados starts to Dragon Dance Swampert will just Roar it away, likely building up Stealth Rock damage quickly. And saying Gyarados benefits from Gyarados being banned is nonsense.

Can anyone recommend a replacement 3rd slot attack for CB revenge-killer Weavile in lieu of Low Kick? I already have more than 1 check against Tyranitar in my team, and it's kind of unreliable on other pokes due to the power being determined by weight, so I was thinking more type coverage could be in order.

Things I've considered are:

Aerial Ace - A definite mix-up that wouldn't be expected, could threaten Breloom and Heracross who would normally have the upper hand on Weavile, as well as a tool to surprise and threaten non-scarf Infernape. Although its base power is low and it doesn't get STAB, it's still attractive as my team lacks Flying attacks.
X-Scissor - Gives Weavile the upper hand on opposing Dark-Types, 4x effective on Celebi
U-turn - Less powerful than X-Scissor but gives Weavile scouting abilities. My lead Jirachi is already running this, however.
Brick Break - Serves the same purpose as Low Kick but more reliable due to a set base power.

Also as an option, Smogon's Revenge Killer build recommends choosing either Ice Punch or Night Slash as a 4th slot, so I could just choose both to fill the 3rd slot. However, Ice Shard/Pursuit/Ice Punch/Night Slash is 4 moves for 2 Types, and severely lacks coverage.

Input appreciated.

Can anyone recommend a replacement 3rd slot attack for CB revenge-killer Weavile in lieu of Low Kick? I already have more than 1 check against Tyranitar in my team, and it's kind of unreliable on other pokes due to the power being determined by weight, so I was thinking more type coverage could be in order.
-snip-
Input appreciated.
Personally I would pick Aerial Ace, but a lot of people would probably beg to differ.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would choose U-Turn, if you combine that with Jirachi and have these two guys U-Turning in and out I guarantee you'll piss people off ;)

Brick Break is a good option, or just low kick, as fighting hits steel for SE, which is good because steel walls both stabs. Aerial Ace is bad because flying is meh and low bp, x-scissor hitting celebi hard is pointless as both stabs are SE against it, and iirc weavile doesn't learn u-turn.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
Badgerzftw is correct, Weavile doesn't learn U-turn. Geez why did you include it as an option. In this case I second Brick Break.

Badgerzftw is correct, Weavile doesn't learn U-turn. Geez why did you include it as an option. In this case I second Brick Break.
Brick Break is a good option, but if you are using this in-game for the Battle Frontier or what have you, I would consider keeping Aerial Ace to deal with Double Team or Minimize users.

Does anyone know if the Wonder Card Jirachis are RNG-able? A friend of mine is having a ton of trouble getting his right, I know that the Natures aren't set on them, but apparently he also keeps getting the correct seed/frame but isn't even getting the correct IVs either. Anyone have an idea what could be going wrong?

Does anyone know if the Wonder Card Jirachis are RNG-able? A friend of mine is having a ton of trouble getting his right, I know that the Natures aren't set on them, but apparently he also keeps getting the correct seed/frame but isn't even getting the correct IVs either. Anyone have an idea what could be going wrong?
According to Bulbapedia, Wonder Card pokemon are not RNG-able.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RNG

There are some limitations. As a player's Trainer ID and Secret ID determine a Pokémon's shininess, shiny Pokémon generated through certain methods can only have certain Individual Values. Also, it is not possible to manipulate the nature of a Pokémon obtained through a Wonder Card.

And now for yet another question from me,

Do smogonites/other competitive battlers ever use PBR?

The reason I ask is, I've been thinking about recording some matches, and I'm also planning on buying a capture card. I don't run any sort of emulators, recording Shoddy matches would be incredibly lame, and building a DS capture device requires technical knowledge I don't have and an investment of ~$200. So using a capture card on my Wii running PBR seems like the most logical solution.

can someone explain to me how exactly breeding with power items works?

i've bread a lucario(holding power anklet) that has 31 speed IVs with a ditto(holding power lens) that has 31 sp.atk IVs
and i've gotten 2 modest riolu so far, and both have 31 speed IVs, but neither has the 31 sp.atk IVs

is the chance of gettin both IVs to transfer not 100% or something?

can someone explain to me how exactly breeding with power items works?

i've bread a lucario(holding power anklet) that has 31 speed IVs with a ditto(holding power lens) that has 31 sp.atk IVs
and i've gotten 2 modest riolu so far, and both have 31 speed IVs, but neither has the 31 sp.atk IVs

is the chance of gettin both IVs to transfer not 100% or something?
I actually just figured this out in the last day or so, the learning process being hampered somewhat by some misinformation fed to me by an otherwise extremely useful gamefaqs article.

When both parents are holding a power item, only 1 power item's IV transferring effect may be used. Which parent is chosen is random. However, you can still transfer the other desired IV by normal means, which is also random.

3 of the egg's IVs are taken from the parents, at random, meaning the stat you want has a 2/11 chance of being passed. 1 stat is already guaranteed to be passed from the effective power item, which brings it down from 2/12, or 1/6. The other 11 are the parents' combined 6 stats, minus one from the power item.

Basically, this goes to show that using 2 power items is useless, so you might as well give the father his corresponding power item, and pick a mother that has both the desired IV and whichever nature you want and give it an everstone. Then you hope the game picks the other stat you need.

Here's an example for your case:

Lucario(31 Spe)@Power Anklet + Ditto (31 Sp.Atk, Modest Nature)@Everstone

Offspring: Lucario - 100% chance 31 Spe IV, 50% chance Modest nature, 18% chance 31 Sp. Atk.

This is, unfortunately, the best chance at getting 2 perfect IVs from the parents outside of RNG abuse.

I actually just figured this out in the last day or so, the learning process being hampered somewhat by some misinformation fed to me by an otherwise extremely useful gamefaqs article.

When both parents are holding a power item, only 1 power item's IV transferring effect may be used. Which parent is chosen is random. However, you can still transfer the other desired IV by normal means, which is also random.

3 of the egg's IVs are taken from the parents, at random, meaning the stat you want has a 2/11 chance of being passed. 1 stat is already guaranteed to be passed from the effective power item, which brings it down from 2/12, or 1/6. The other 11 are the parents' combined 6 stats, minus one from the power item.

Basically, this goes to show that using 2 power items is useless, so you might as well give the father his corresponding power item, and pick a mother that has both the desired IV and whichever nature you want and give it an everstone. Then you hope the game picks the other stat you need.

Here's an example for your case:

Lucario(31 Spe)@Power Anklet + Ditto (31 Sp.Atk, Modest Nature)@Everstone

Offspring: Lucario - 100% chance 31 Spe IV, 50% chance Modest nature, 18% chance 31 Sp. Atk.

This is, unfortunately, the best chance at getting 2 perfect IVs from the parents outside of RNG abuse.
hmm guess i got lucky...my flygon that i bred has both of the ivs i was using power items for; and i only bred 1 of em that was jolly...which is the only other pokemon i've tried breeding through this method

you still have to deal with dragonite, flygon and maybe random altarias(lol). i would run hp ice mostly because he got nothing better to use on that slot when running the mixed set.

hmm guess i got lucky...my flygon that i bred has both of the ivs i was using power items for; and i only bred 1 of em that was jolly...which is the only other pokemon i've tried breeding through this method
I was the same way with my Gyarados and Dusknoir, not nearly as lucky with my Electivire or Roserade.

It took me about 2 days' worth of hatching to get a Roselia with perfect Sp. Atk and Speed.

Took a little over a week to hatch Elekid with perfect Attack and Speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)