Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

I am having trouble connecting to the Pokemon Lab server. Pokemon lab worked fine until about two weeks ago (October 20ish, I don't remember the exact date) and then stopped working. I have seen the advice on the first page:

If the metaserver for ShoddyBattle is down (this is where only 1 server, usually Official, will appear on the list) click Advanced and a box should appear prompting you to "manually enter server information". If you wish to get to Smogon Shoddy under Host: type in shoddybattle.smogon.com and under Port: type in 50000. If you wish to access the CAP server under Host: type in cap.servegame.com and under Port: type in 8888.

I've tried both of them, and I still get the same error message: a pop-up comes up that says "connect timed out." I've also tried manually inputting the server address they give you in the server list: catherine.poke-lab.com. Port: 8446, but no dice. At first, I thought it was the server; pokemon lab claims that the server is empty (0/500). However, it has been weeks and I haven't seen any updates on this problem, so I'm beginning to think it's a problem with my computer or the internet at my school. Interestingly, Shoddy still works. Is the pokemon lab server down? What changed two weeks ago that's preventing me from playing pokemon online?

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@LostButSeeking

It's not you, Pokemon Lab is down, no one can use it right now. It is unknown when this will be fixed. Everyone's using either Pokemon Online or Shoddy Battle.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
^ To elaborate, Lab is no longer officially connected to Smogon because its maker, Cathy, left. As such, Smogon no longer has a server on Lab, and is looking around for a new one, given that it also no longer supports Shoddy. It looks possible that it will end up with one on Pokemon Online, but in the meantime everyone is really using Pokemon online for random battles or Doug's server for scheduled, 4th gen battles.

You could use abilities like Water Absorb and Dry Skin to get around the Surf problem. For instance, you could start out with Toxicroak and Ludicolo; have Toxicroak Fake Out one of the opponents, whilst Ludicolo uses Rain Dance. Since Fake Out is stopping one of them from moving Ludicolo (or whatever you use) should be able to do so without dying. Then Ludicolo can keep using Surf, healing up Toxicroak, whilst Toxicroak attacks with Fighting and Poison moves. (Or anything similar... Lapras and Vaporeon both Surfing to heal each other, for instance.) Or just use Protect, which should be a staple move on a doubles team anyway.

If you don't like Kingdra for a physical swift swimmer, how about Swift Swim Kabutops? Rock Slide is a nice STAB move that hits both opponents with a good flinch chance. Qwilfish is also an option, with its access to Explosion. (Switch to Spiritomb as it goes boom and kills off two opponents at once is the ideal here.)
I'm liking the sound of Kabutops, although the shaky accuracy of rock attacks worries me a little. Then again, I'm no stranger to using a Wide Lens, so maybe that could work (and could open the door for Aqua Tail). Luckily for me, I have a decent potential father in the form of my Drapion, who ironically enough is the son of a Kabutops (inherited Confuse Ray and Night Slash).

Keep in mind this is going to be a team of four on account of the rules of the Battle Frontier.

Team in my head is looking like:
Bulky rain starter/abuser (leaning towards Magnezone)
Physical Swift Swimmer (the aforementioned Kabutops?)
Special Swift Swimmer (Ludicolo seems to the best option here)
Spiritomb stays. I have seriously had that thing score more than one stall-kill in a single battle. Pressure and Spite DEVOURS enemy PP.

^ To elaborate, Lab is no longer officially connected to Smogon because its maker, Cathy, left. As such, Smogon no longer has a server on Lab, and is looking around for a new one, given that it also no longer supports Shoddy. It looks possible that it will end up with one on Pokemon Online, but in the meantime everyone is really using Pokemon online for random battles or Doug's server for scheduled, 4th gen battles.
We're finally phasing out Shoddy? Cool.

Is it possible for a Shedinja to complete the Battle Hall?

Cathy left, and she took Lab with her because she was mostly responsible for it. As such, we no longer have a server on it, so we are just waiting to get one somewhere else, like Pokemon Online or something.

So in the mean time are people just playing back on Shoddy or what? Should I go ahead and delete Pokemon Lab? Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm just looking for the best place to find some good Gen 4 battles. Mainly NU. =P
Thanks!

Edit: Derp, refreshing the page is awesome. I see that most of this is answered already. So my question is, where/how do I find Doug's server to schedule battles with people? I never actually had Shoddy, I just used to play Gen 4 on PO because it had an NU ladder. Sorry if this is a silly question, but thanks for any help I get.

So in the mean time are people just playing back on Shoddy or what? Should I go ahead and delete Pokemon Lab? Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm just looking for the best place to find some good Gen 4 battles. Mainly NU. =P
Thanks!

Edit: Derp, refreshing the page is awesome. I see that most of this is answered already. So my question is, where/how do I find Doug's server to schedule battles with people? I never actually had Shoddy, I just used to play Gen 4 on PO because it had an NU ladder. Sorry if this is a silly question, but thanks for any help I get.
It's the Create-A-Pokémon Server. But the server is almost always with less than 15 people. Except when it's Tour's day.

i dont know if this question belongs here but i dont know where i should post it if it doesnt belong here.

when i try to connect to the pokemon lab server a massage box appears saying : connect timed out. I cant play on the server anymore because of this. does anyone know what causes this and how to solve it?

oh wait this has been asked before.... sorry

Here's the question: I want a Rest-Talking Spin-Blocker on Wi-Fi. What's the best one, considering I can't use Rotom Forms?

Here's a little bit of Background. I've fallen in love with a team on pokemon lab, and a critical piece of this team is the Rotom-A Restalk set.

Rotom-H Item: Leftovers Nature: Bold

EVs: 252 HP/120 DEF/136 S. DEF

Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Rest
Sleep Talk

Obviously, I can't use this on Wi-Fi and I've been looking for a suitable replacement. I've checked the ghosts on the page, and many of them sport a warning similar to "Dusknoir can use a Rest + Sleep Talk combo to good effect, but Rotom-A boasts better typing, movepool, and stats for this combo." I've checked out my other ghostly options, and I'm a little unhappy as to my choices. I have a number of options, including Formless Rotom, Mismagius, Spiritomb, Dusknoir, Frosslass and Drifblim. I can't say I'm especially enamored of any of them. Rotom keeps the immunity to ground and the resistance to water (important since it's my primary Gyarados counter), but it's defenses are so much lower than its brothers . . . What are your guys' thoughts?

theangryscientist

angry, not mad
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
LostButSeeking said:
Here's the question: I want a Rest-Talking Spin-Blocker on Wi-Fi. What's the best one, considering I can't use Rotom Forms?

Here's a little bit of Background. I've fallen in love with a team on pokemon lab, and a critical piece of this team is the Rotom-A Restalk set.

Rotom-H Item: Leftovers Nature: Bold

EVs: 252 HP/120 DEF/136 S. DEF

Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Rest
Sleep Talk

Obviously, I can't use this on Wi-Fi and I've been looking for a suitable replacement. I've checked the ghosts on the page, and many of them sport a warning similar to "Dusknoir can use a Rest + Sleep Talk combo to good effect, but Rotom-A boasts better typing, movepool, and stats for this combo." I've checked out my other ghostly options, and I'm a little unhappy as to my choices. I have a number of options, including Formless Rotom, Mismagius, Spiritomb, Dusknoir, Frosslass and Drifblim. I can't say I'm especially enamored of any of them. Rotom keeps the immunity to ground and the resistance to water (important since it's my primary Gyarados counter), but it's defenses are so much lower than its brothers . . . What are your guys' thoughts?
Rotom doesn't resist water.

If you want a spinblocker for OU, Dusknoir is probably your best bet, as it has more bulk than any of your other choices, as well as that nice base 100 attack. Spiritomb is also an option if you really hate Dusknoir's Pursuit weakness, although it doesn't have as much bulk and it can't hit back as hard.

Not much apart from getting slaughtered anywhere between match one & match three? (I'm assuming your talking about Magikarp)
No, I was more or less referring to the weakest Pokemon that's still capable of doing the Battle Hall (all 180 fights or whatever it is). I'm trying to find this out for a challenge.

@BlueEew: FR/LG I believe.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is pokemon lab down, or is it just my computer?
this question was answered quite well on the bottom of the previous page :)

here it is

It's not you, Pokemon Lab is down, no one can use it right now. It is unknown when this will be fixed. Everyone's using either Pokemon Online or Shoddy Battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)