Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II - Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that I've had my team battle-ready for about three days, but I haven't yet asked in the Wi-Fi subforum for a battle? I feel unconfident in my ability to battle with 6v6 Standard teams, although I know that I can predict well, etc.. maybe it's because I'm still unsure of who would disconnect when I would be winning? I don't really have a way to prove if someone disconnects, I could only hope that EE and Eep take my word for it.

tl;dr: I want to test my team but I can't ask in the thread full of potential disconnectors (obviously except for Faladran), and I don't want to individually ask random trustable people because it'd seem awkward to just randomly request a battle
I found this question interesting, as I used to be in the same boat.
The way most people do battles is with PO or shoddy, but if you want wifi-matches, dont feel awkward about asking people on the wifi-forum. Feel free to post something like "I want a battle" on the battle requests forum, like most people do. Smogonites are much nicer than people from serebii, or any other forums.
If its the awkward thing you are worried about, think about it this way. most of the people here want to have battles anyway, and if you were requested a battle, it feels like a compliment. It certainly does so to me.
If its the D/Cing, I'm afraid I cant help you with that. But if you recognize the person that you are battling, you can always have a rematch and replay all the moves if you remember correctly.
TL;DR, there should be a battles subforum under wifi and a battle requests thread. There are many people aching for battles there.

ok, i'm new to OU and am used to uber standards and stats. i have a personal starmie set i use, and its been working really well. the set is a parafusion set, were i thunder wave them on the first turn, and then outspeed (if i didn't already) and confuse ray them on the second. they almost never get to attack me before they are knocked out. my team really appreciates a lot of thunder wave support, so i run thunder wave on blissey also.

but this isn't rmt, so here's my question,
i have hydro pump and ice beam as coverage moves, and run max spe with modest nature and 200 spa (extra 52 in hp). but on all the smogon sets it says to use timid, and on such a fast pokemon already. with starmies already amazing speed shouldn't i run modest to pack more power? without modest, and with 252 spa, i think i had like 299, but is that high for an OU pokemon? again i am used to ubers, were my ttar has like 404 atk, and even that doesn't always ohko.

so is timid really necessary? i feel like running modest just to be safe, but lets see.

oh yeah, and can someone give me the bulky spinner set? i heard about it and and thought it might work out, as i need a spinner but also power in the form of spa. my team runs mainly on thunder wave and spikes, forcing a lot of switches to get thunder wave on almost all of the pokemon.

wheres the best place to watch b/w wifi battles livestreamed? i know jtv is good but does anyone know of any other good ones?

so is timid really necessary? i feel like running modest just to be safe, but lets see.

oh yeah, and can someone give me the bulky spinner set? i heard about it and and thought it might work out, as i need a spinner but also power in the form of spa. my team runs mainly on thunder wave and spikes, forcing a lot of switches to get thunder wave on almost all of the pokemon.
If you don't run a speed boosting nature, you get outsped by +nature max speed base 101 and up. The important one's I can think of would be Landorus, Mienshao, the Musketeer's, Infernape, Lati@s, Espeon, Gengar, and Thundurus. You'll also be outsped by some Scarfers you wouldn't be outsped by if you ran timid (base 51-60 +natures and some others running neutral natures that I'm too lazy to look up).

This was the rapid spin I found in the B/W Starmie analysis:

name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 3: Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Natural Cure
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

The comments mentioned you can run a bulkier spread if you want to.

Vespiquen ANNOYED ME TO NO END on the battle subway.

any tips?
Since Vespiquen has horrible offensive stats, if you use Substitute you are invulnerable to Toxic or Confuse Ray and therefore making Vespiquen much less threatening even if it is using Defend Order. Meanwhile, you can wear it down with status or practically any Rock-type move

If you say so.

On the two occasions I came across a vespiquen, it only used the moves "heal order," "defend order", "toxic", and "protect". Not a single offensive move besides toxic. Even with a rock type move, It always healed/protected as it got down in the yellow zone.

I managed to outlast vespiquen on both occasions with metagross, but not without spending all my PP due to pressure.

If you say so.

On the two occasions I came across a vespiquen, it only used the moves "heal order," "defend order", "toxic", and "protect". Not a single offensive move besides toxic. Even with a rock type move, It always healed/protected as it got down in the yellow zone.

I managed to outlast vespiquen on both occasions with metagross, but not without spending all my PP due to pressure.
Yeah, Substitute would really come in handy for you, and it's a good move to have in general, not just for dealing with Pokémon like Vespiquen. And Substitute works especially well in that case because moves that don't target your opponent aren't drained quicker by Pressure. And for that moveset, if you use Substitute before they use Toxic, you cannot be fainted by that Vespiquen

Would a shedinja (having only 1hp) be immortal if given a focus sash?
"An item to be held by a Pokémon. If it has full HP, the holder will endure one potential KO attack, leaving 1 HP."

No. If Shedinja has full HP (1 HP) it will endure one attack. The second attack can KO it.

That should be obvious because the focus sash is consumed after it is used.

So is Focus Sash a single-use item, like the Type Gems? Is it used and disappears?
Yes, basically it's a one time use focus band that only works if you start at full health, but, given the right situation, works 100% of the time instead of 10% of the time.

So is Focus Sash a single-use item, like the Type Gems? Is it used and disappears?
Yes. This is generally not to useful but can be used to your advantage, for example: Weavile with the ability Pickpocket and a Focus Sash. Weavile attacks, they attack and Weavile survives with 1 HP, Weavile attacks and then gets their item before fainting. Using up a Focus Sash also activates Unburden and allows you to steal an item with Covet or Thief

How viable is physical Ninetales? It has only 5 less Base Attack, and might be good for the suprise factor. It has Flare Blitz, Faint Attack, Return, Quick Attack and Flame Charge, and can still use Hypnosis/WoW.

Only bringing it up because I just watched a battle video of some Japanese guy using it

How viable is physical Ninetales? It has only 5 less Base Attack, and might be good for the suprise factor. It has Flare Blitz, Faint Attack, Return, Quick Attack and Flame Charge, and can still use Hypnosis/WoW.

Only bringing it up because I just watched a battle video of some Japanese guy using it
ive never tried it but, it is a good surprise factor, maybe something like this?

flashfire
jolly
@lifeorb
-Qa
-flare blitz
-return/headbutt
-faint attack/Z headbutt
252 att, 252 sp, 4hp

flashfire
adamant
@lifeorb
-flame charge
-return/headbutt/Qa
-faint attack/payback/Z headbutt
-flare blitz/faint attack/payback/Z headbutt
252 att, 180-200 sp, rest in hp

not sure on evs, just throwing numbers out there really :naughty: and you can throw in a status move if an attack isnt needed

Can a Timid Mew work for the standard UU support set? I happen to not have a Bold one.. How much Speed should I invest? I want to be faster than certain things to Taunt/WoW them before they can attack.

What is the differences between Bulk Up scrafty and DD scrafty?

And what about between SD Lucario and NP Lucario?

What is the more reccommended of each?
In my opinion , BU scrafty is like a curse snorlax without the speed lowering effect. I was gonna use a BU scrafty untill i found out about DD scrafty.
For now i'm undecided wich i'll use and wich i'll like best.
Bout Lucarios , i alwas used mine as a special one , but never used nasty plot.
On the physical part u do need SD to be able to sweep where as the special sweeper doesnt need it for all pokemons .
(My lucario isnt used much i think , it used choice specs , has psychic , dark pulse , aura sphere and dragon pulse , giving it almost 100% type coverage and a powerfull stab in aura sphere.)

Verizion Bold Mew run 32 spe which hits 244(outspeeds +Spe 61 and neutral 71) being timid with no investment you hit 259(outspeed +Spe 68 and tie with neutral 80), so if you run 4 you auto outspeed neutral base 80.

I'm not sure on the threats in UU so I can't really say if you should go much higher than the 4 to outspeed neutral 80.

Vespiquen ANNOYED ME TO NO END on the battle subway.

any tips?
After some defend orders its hard to damage a vespiqueen.
Therefor try to have a hazer or pseudo-hazer (Roar etc) .
Everytime it setted up too much against me i brought in skarmory to roar it out, wich gave me also the oportunity to put up stealth rock , wich damages a vespiqueen nicely.
Then switch back to ur attacking pokemon OR keep roaring it out till it eventually dies from stealth rock (if u have this patience)

i would just like to know which hacks are legal (in general)?. because im trying to work this out, but i just dont see any mention of this topic anywhere (i spent 3 hours searching for this, and i racked up an internet bill of $300).

Yes. This is generally not to useful but can be used to your advantage, for example: Weavile with the ability Pickpocket and a Focus Sash. Weavile attacks, they attack and Weavile survives with 1 HP, Weavile attacks and then gets their item before fainting. Using up a Focus Sash also activates Unburden and allows you to steal an item with Covet or Thief
Thanks, Zacchaeus and melvni. Now I have another question: in wireless / WiFi battles are the consumed items respawned like in the Battle Subway?

i would just like to know which hacks are legal (in general)?. because im trying to work this out, but i just dont see any mention of this topic anywhere (i spent 3 hours searching for this, and i racked up an internet bill of $300).
Hacks are generally taboo for discussion, but a "legal hack" is something that could be obtained in-game without using any external devices. So for a hack to be legal, the Pokémon can only have stats, moves, (so on and so forth,) that are present without hacks

Thanks, Zacchaeus and melvni. Now I have another question: in wireless / WiFi battles are the consumed items respawned like in the Battle Subway?
Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)