Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - Pokemon Showdown! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, it has happened twice now, I can't connect to the server an people seem to be chatting and having fun so... Something up on my end then? Or is the server being restarted or something?

Last edited:
When are egg moves on showdown going to be updated?

Tried testing several sets and couldn't because their egg moves aren't up to date.

Ex. Beartic gets play rough

When are egg moves on showdown going to be updated?

Tried testing several sets and couldn't because their egg moves aren't up to date.

Ex. Beartic gets play rough
Sorry about that, it's now in showdown's database and it should be available once the server resets. I'll go through and see if there are any others like this one that slipped through the cracks.

I was looking for this answer for a bit and didn't have any luck... I was wondering when there will be a generation 6 random battle playlist on Showdown. Playing randbats is probably the easiest way to get familiar with the new pokemon, so I'm hoping it gets implemented quickly. Thanks!

Last edited:
BLACK0UT, those won't be ready until we have movesets completely researched, viable moves set, and probably for a pretty long time. If you scroll up, we're still missing moves, you can see. No telling when randbats will be ready, but I wouldn't expect them, say, next restart.

Sorry about that, it's now in showdown's database and it should be available once the server resets. I'll go through and see if there are any others like this one that slipped through the cracks.
I don't know if they've been added yet or not, but last time I tried Blastoise couldn't get Aura Sphere on showdown. Might not have incorrectly had Dragon Pulse listed as unavailable too, but I didn't use that; thought I'd drop that one in there since along with Aura Sphere it was one of the new egg-moves it got to make use of it's Mega-Evolution's ability Mega Launcher.

I don't know if they've been added yet or not, but last time I tried Blastoise couldn't get Aura Sphere on showdown. Might not have incorrectly had Dragon Pulse listed as unavailable too, but I didn't use that; thought I'd drop that one in there since along with Aura Sphere it was one of the new egg-moves it got to make use of it's Mega-Evolution's ability Mega Launcher.
Those moves have been available for a while now. Most, if not all, of the new known egg moves are either available on Showdown right now or will be soon. I'm still checking for any missing ones, but Play Rough for Cubchoo/Beartic was the only viable one I've seen so far.

Kibblecat, I just checked, and Blastoise can learn both Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse, although you can't pair those moves with ones unobtainable before Gen 6. I myself use Dragon Pulse on my Blastoise right now.

Those moves have been available for a while now. Most, if not all, of the new known egg moves are either available on Showdown right now or will be soon. I'm still checking for any missing ones, but Play Rough for Cubchoo/Beartic was the only viable one I've seen so far.
@ VioletPumpkin and Flame Emblem - thanks, it'd been a while since I checked; probably should have looked again before I posted.

My question - can pokemon showdown be run as a self contained engine to simulate pokemon battles, that another program can relate to via the sending & receiving of JSON objects ? ( I can't find any details for the structure of these messages .. and it would be nice to be able to write plugins without having to resort to JavaScript .. ew .. or disecting packets :P ).

I would have thought that it wouldn't be too much to remove extraneous stuff in order to use the engine directly but I lack any skill in JS. It'd be nice to be able to run simulations and research pokemon theory using a more indepth engine than I use currently .. without having to write the entire thing myself in a language that I do know.

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
My question - can pokemon showdown be run as a self contained engine to simulate pokemon battles, that another program can relate to via the sending & receiving of JSON objects ? ( I can't find any details for the structure of these messages .. and it would be nice to be able to write plugins without having to resort to JavaScript .. ew .. or disecting packets :P ).

I would have thought that it wouldn't be too much to remove extraneous stuff in order to use the engine directly but I lack any skill in JS. It'd be nice to be able to run simulations and research pokemon theory using a more indepth engine than I use currently .. without having to write the entire thing myself in a language that I do know.

I believe this is what you are looking for:

https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/blob/master/protocol-doc.md

Hi MJB!

Yes I did see that - but sadly the battle messages aren't documented yet.
*Edit* Although Room initialization looks promising to start with ..

It would be enough if one could send "Given Field f; Side s1; Side s2; Pokemon 1; Pokemon 2; Pokemon1 uses move B; Tell me the result." It would work if I could figure out how to cut down PS as is to only have such basic funtionality .. I just wondered if such funtionality existed already (for the purpose of testing that new moves or rare ability / move combonaions work as desired). After all .. what I'm after is not more but less :D

What the hell is this /kill command? If i try to launch it here is what does it say.
/kill - Access denied.

I'm driver(%) on the italian room.

MJB

Sup Peeps
Hi MJB!

Yes I did see that - but sadly the battle messages aren't documented yet.
*Edit* Although Room initialization looks promising to start with ..

It would be enough if one could send "Given Field f; Side s1; Side s2; Pokemon 1; Pokemon 2; Pokemon1 uses move B; Tell me the result." It would work if I could figure out how to cut down PS as is to only have such basic funtionality .. I just wondered if such funtionality existed already (for the purpose of testing that new moves or rare ability / move combonaions work as desired). After all .. what I'm after is not more but less :D
Not the best method, but if you open the console in your browser it shows the text log of battles in the format the server sends them to the client. I'm not sure if there is documentation on this but its fairly simple and i would assume easily reverse engineer-able

MJB

Sup Peeps
Yeah it is either that or wireshark. If I get time I'll post up the message structure somewhere.
From my experience with wireshark that would be an absolute pain, going through the browser console would almost certainly be better (i know for a fact this is true for chrome anyway, never tried in other browsers).

If you join #showdown on irc.synirc.net you might be able to get more help from some of the programmers (most like zarel).

Why is that my Gliscor suddenly can't have Poison Heal and "Moves only learned before Gen 5" in Pokebank OU?

I've been using this Gliscor in Pokebank OU for a few weeks without issue. And the error message I'm receiving doesn't prompt me to make any specific change to the moveset, which is:

-Stealth Rock
-Defog
-Earthquake
-U-turn

Hey I was just wondering if the 30% boost for aerielate has been coded in yet?
yes, it has
Why is that my Gliscor suddenly can't have Poison Heal and "Moves only learned before Gen 5" in Pokebank OU?

I've been using this Gliscor in Pokebank OU for a few weeks without issue. And the error message I'm receiving doesn't prompt me to make any specific change to the moveset, which is:

-Stealth Rock
-Defog
-Earthquake
-U-turn
gliscor did not get poison heal before gen 5, so the issue is probably with defog, only obtainable as an hm in gen 4. tbh i'm not entirely sure about specifics about breeding, but that's probably your problem

thief should steal the oponents item correct? because i used it several times with mega scizor and the oponents still kept their items

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)