Ask a simple question - get a simple answer: PU edition

I've been looking at seadra and it has decent enough stats when You factor in evo lite and sniper

Hp:55 att:65 def:95 spA:95 spD:45 sp:85

And it looks like vesus anything not water its coverage is decent enough with surf ice beam, HP, flash cannon, signal beam or dragon pulse.

After a focus energy it has a good critical rate unless You want to risk the bulk and run razor claw.

I wish it had special bulk instead, it'd have a niche in blowing apart boosters with clear smog/critical chances

But how can I get the percent on its damage for a critical surf? I didn't see the option to look at critical damage rolls
There is a crit button right next to the move in the calculator

It's decent, but not that great. Subpunch does a decent job of beating things that normally switch into Poliwrath, like Grumpig, Roselia (which Ice Punch hits harder), and Clefairy. However, outside of luring things, special is usually better. Specs isn't that great either, it's really easy to take advantage of when it's locked into a move and doesn't like the lack of Leftovers. The order of sets in terms of how good they are in my opinion is Rain Dance > Special Tank > Subpunch > Specs > Resttalk.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's decent, but not that great. Subpunch does a decent job of beating things that normally switch into Poliwrath, like Grumpig, Roselia (which Ice Punch), and Clefairy. However, outside of luring things, special is usually better. Specs isn't that great either, it's really easy to take advantage of when it's locked into a move and doesn't like the lack of Leftovers. The order of sets in terms of how good they are in my opinion is Rain Dance > Special Tank > Subpunch > Specs > Resttalk.
Yeah, I meant to say that "special is better than physical". I mess up my words every now & again. Thanks for replying though.

Hey guys... My question is... Who has to approve new threads in this forum? I would like to open a new thread called "What if?"...

Every week, the leader of the thread ask to the rest of you guys a "What if" question regarding some hypotetical but real situations (nothing about getting new stats/moves/abilities) that could affect the metagame in different ways, like bans, rises or drops. An example of that for PU would be:
What would change if Poliwrath got booted from PU thanks to a ban or NU usage?
And getting some typical extra questions:
* What poke could replace Poliwrath?
* Which pokes would have increased or decreased viability thanks to Poliwrath not being on PU?
* Is this change probable in the actual metagame?
* Which spreads could change for those pokes that usually checks or counter Poliwrath?
* That rise could motivate some aditional rises from FU or drops from NU? (This is optional as isn't exactly from PU but it could be cool to have a bigger perspective of the poke that we are analyzing).

And then at the end of the week, the leader will make a summary of the principal answers to those questions that would help us to keep in check what could happen on our metagames in case of getting some changes like those huge ones that FU got right now...

It is possible and could be useful a thread like this one?

Hey guys... My question is... Who has to approve new threads in this forum? I would like to open a new thread called "What if?"...

Every week, the leader of the thread ask to the rest of you guys a "What if" question regarding some hypotetical but real situations (nothing about getting new stats/moves/abilities) that could affect the metagame in different ways, like bans, rises or drops. An example of that for PU would be:
* Which pokes would have increased or decreased viability thanks to Poliwrath not being on PU?
* Which spreads could change for those pokes that usually checks or counter Poliwrath?
* That rise could motivate some aditional rises from FU or drops from NU? (This is optional as isn't exactly from PU but it could be cool to have a bigger perspective of the poke that we are analyzing).

And then at the end of the week, the leader will make a summary of the principal answers to those questions that would help us to keep in check what could happen on our metagames in case of getting some changes like those huge ones that FU got right now...

People with the right to approve threads are forum moderators™ which at the moment are galbia Magnemite WhiteDMist

generally you'd like to submit a draft of the op before the mods decide to approve or not

in addition to this fu threads need the approval of either of the FU tiering leaders Mambo and Gary2346

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Ask one of the PU mods in a PM or in private chat, preferably with a draft. Galbia, Magnemite, or myself will approve if we think that the concept of the thread has potential, or is a valuable resource. Same as every other forum basically. The more thought out, the more likely it will be approved.

The thread you are speaking of is actually similar to the original concept of Theorymon last gen, so this is actually something I suggest you negotiate with Megazard about, as on its own I wouldn't really see it as its own thread. But feel free to try and convince us, but not here.

EDIT: FU stuff needs the approval of one of the FU leaders as well.

Apparently Offensive Pivot Pelipper is viable. Does anyone know what that set looks like? I'm building a sort of bulky offense team, and need a hazard remover because the Pokemon I already have on the team (Grumpig, Roselia and Machoke) get worn down by hazards. (Would standard Pelipper or another defogger/hazard remover also be viable on the type of team I'm building? I don't want something that loses momentum or is set-up fodder)

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn / Defog

This is offensive pivot Pelipper, but looking at the Pokemon you mentioned 'standard' Pelipper with U-turn would probably be best for you.

can we consider an sr suspect or tour to test sr? this tier has so many amazing sr weak mons, looking at about 30, and almost all defoggers and spinners are rocks weak, but now they can have an easier time removing broken spikes/toxic spikes. its just a thought but in my head this meta seems pretty amazing without rocks; it aids a lot of playstyles and stall is not good in this tier so we wont lose out from the inability to pressure it. no rocks seems so good in my head lmao

I'd like to comment on the above. It seems really weird to suspect SR in an unofficial tier when it's pretty controversial as a suspect topic even in BW OU/current official gens (i know there's been some discussion but can't find links etc.) Honestly SR seems a lot more like something we could seriously look at if we shifted our policy mindsets on tiering as a whole, which doesn't seem to be happening very soon. Once it does, would be cool to suspect sr cus ya reasons. this also sorta ties into the spikes debate and potentially banning both of those down the line (i.e a hazardless meta) i.e 0 way to punish switches in a meta not called RBY sounds really bad lmao

Just wondering, since PU is currently an unofficial tier, do suspects not contribute to tier contributor badge? Thanks in advance

Ok sorry but that raised another question for me xD. Will pu ever become official? Sorry about the double question and thanks in advance

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
So, I see PU isn't part of Other Metas on the forums. Does that mean it's an official tier now?

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Actually, PU still is an Other Meta, as it is not official. It does have its own subforum, but that subforum is still within the Other Metas forum. While it is still not official, it could eventually become official, as pointed out by Simipour and trc.
We are still an Other Metagame, but we aren't within the Other Metas forum anymore.

Actually, PU still is an Other Meta, as it is not official. It does have its own subforum, but that subforum is still within the Other Metas forum. While it is still not official, it could eventually become official, as pointed out by Simipour and trc.
pu isn't within the OM subforums anymore, hence giving it a further "degree" of officiality and distinguishing it from other OMs (along w/ FU i guess); take that for what you will

Dark-types such as Pawniard and Pawniard can beat the Ghost-types that give Linoone trouble, while a Fighting- or Ground-type such as Poliwrath or Piloswine, respectively, can beat Steel-types, which Linoone struggles against.

^ This is in the linoone article, it mentions pawniard twice.

Anyway, I was wondering how viable memento Jumpluff is with Linoone, and if such a set could run more utility than offense (currently the jumpluff page only has a set with pure offense with memento on the side)

Sorry if my question is worded weird.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Dark-types such as Pawniard and Pawniard can beat the Ghost-types that give Linoone trouble, while a Fighting- or Ground-type such as Poliwrath or Piloswine, respectively, can beat Steel-types, which Linoone struggles against.

^ This is in the linoone article, it mentions pawniard twice.

Anyway, I was wondering how viable memento Jumpluff is with Linoone, and if such a set could run more utility than offense (currently the jumpluff page only has a set with pure offense with memento on the side)

Sorry if my question is worded weird.
Errors in analysis should be posted in our C&C forum, there: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-analyses-discussion-thread.3522568/
regarding the second question, Jumpluff is one of the best partners to Linoone(the Belly Drum set) because of its access to utility moves such as Sleep Powder, Memento, and U-Turn along with an high Speed and a typing that has a good synergy with Normal-types in general, all of this make the two form a decent core. We are currently holding a Next Best Thing project and this week's subject was Jumpluff. Anty in particular posted a set with Memento more prone to utility so check it out.

With the Baton Pass speed nerf(? is that the right word?), should Lunatone still run both Rock Polish and Baton Pass on the same set, or no? I guess it could baton pass before boosting to retain momentum, but since it can't BP after the move seems like a waste of a moveslot. Or is that not how the ban works?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)