Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - UU Edition

So here's my question:
If I use magic coat and the opponent uses will-o-wisp and the pokemon that uses will-o-wisp has flash fire, will flashfire activate when it is reflected or will it burn the pokemon?
Ie. jirachi uses magic coat as a flash fire heatran uses will-o-wisp.
I believe it does yes, as Magic Coat is bouncing back the effect of Will-O-Wisp, which is the burn, which would then in turn trigger Flash Fire.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I believe it does yes, as Magic Coat is bouncing back the effect of Will-O-Wisp, which is the burn, which would then in turn trigger Flash Fire.
The Burn effect doesn't trigger Flash Fire (e.g. using a weak Scald on a Heatran cannot trigger Flash Fire). So I don't think the Burn status alone would trigger it. This might be worth an in game test.

Nas

Banned deucer.
Magic Coat bounces back the attack, not the effect. So, lets say you have Smeargle vs Arcanine, and Arcanine uses Will-O-Wisp and Smeargle uses Magic Coat. You can pretty much think of it as "Smeargle used Will-O-Wisp", in which case Arcanine will get the Flash Fire boost. (providing it hits)

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
It does activate Flash Fire, as Magic Coat doesn't ''bounce back the burn effect'' but the move itself. It's like if the Magic Coat user was using the move Will-O-Wisp while the opponent does nothing, and, since Will-O-Wisp DOES activate Flash Fire, it triggers the ability in that situation too.

edit: ninja'd

Considering a ban on an upper tier usually means one in all lower ones, will the Sand Veil & Snow Cloak ban in OU affect UU and below?

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Technically yes, but since Sand Stream and Snow Warning are banned in UU, not really (unless you've been running into Sandstorm Cacturne and Hail Rotom-F lately...)

Well, i was mostly asking because of some mons lacking a couple of moves (ex. cacturne being unable to use Encore with Water Absorb), but I guess at least no Pokemon was soft-banned

I was wondering why we don't have a teambuilding thread that has Walls, Spikers Hazard Inducer etc etc like every other tier?

I was wondering why we don't have a teambuilding thread that has Walls, Spikers Hazard Inducer etc etc like every other tier?
We've got the viability ranking thread, which is somewhat similar. I'm in support of a UU Teambuilding thread, though. It would be a great asset for newer players, and be an interesting point for discussion

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In UU in particular, making a "grocery list team" isn't terribly viable. A helpful start is the Cores thread. When I started UU, I literally grabbed a core from the thread and then picked three Pokemon that provided the rest of what I needed in a team and then went to town, constantly making changes.

Though to be a touch more helpful, here's some info on various Pokemon good for various roles:

Spikes
Roserade - Probably the best Spiker in the tier just because Roserade is awesome. Can tank special hits and seriously threaten Blastoise and Claydol with Giga Drain while they can't really hit back too much.

Frosslass - Your offensively oriented Spiker roughly analogous to a suicide lead in DP, but Leftovers and Pain Split can give it some defensive utility as well. Fast Taunt helps it beat a lot of leads.

Qwilfish - Not common at all, but it beats Heracross and gets Spikes up. Intimidate was seriously a gift from the gods for Qwilfish. It's also got access to Pain Split, Toxic Spikes (though those are terrible in UU), and Thunder Wave.

Stealth Rock
Bronzong - A generally useful defensive Pokemon since a lot of great Pokemon can't do all of that much to it (some Mew / Tornadus, almost all Snorlax, most of Flygon's moveset, etc). Among the million other support moves it gets is Stealth Rock

Rhyperior - An underrated tank that seriously threatens all it needs to with EQ / Rock Blast / Megahorn, leaving a perfect space for Stealth Rock there. Common weaknesses really drag it down some, but Solid Rock helps to an extent.

Cobalion - A unique Pokemon with both Speed and Defense, Cobalion presents a mixed offensive threat most of the time but can also lay down Rocks to thwart some of its own checks.

Swampert - Everyone's favorite tank (and long ago, The Best Starter), Swampert gets Rocks and is useful on many teams that lack a bigger Bulky Water. Beats the hell out of HP Ice Raikou and Zapdos too.

Azelf - You can still kind of run a suicide lead this generation, since Azelf is faster than Froslass and can score SE hits on Crobat, the only other fast Taunt leads in this gen. You'd probably want something else though.

Empoleon - A lot like Swampert but with a drastically different typing, Empoleon checks a lot of dangerous Pokemon, most notably Kingdra, and gets Stealth Rock as part of its modest support movepool.

Registeel - Not a great Pokemon, but a rare pure Steel typing and huge defenses make Registeel a potent tank that can Stealth Rock. Seriously ask yourself why you aren't using Bronzong when you pick Registeel.

Lemme know if you want any other lists that can't easily be generated just by browsing the website learnsets. I know SR is hard for that reason.

Need help with building a team (offensive zapdos)

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on building a team surrounded for offensive zapdos for a UU team. Any tips or pokemons for the team would be helpful with their movesets and items!

ss234

bop.
Well, offensive Zapdos hates having Rhyperior and Snorlax around, as they are both very good counters. Grass types such as Shaymin and Roserade can deal with Rhyperior, while fighting types such as Mienshao or rock types such as Rhyperior can deal with Snorlax nicely. A spinner is also very useful for Zapdos, since it hates taking 25% of its health from Stealth Rock. Blastoise is probably the best spinner in the tier at the moment, so that's quite a good partner as well. You could also use Zapdos with another electric type, such as Choice Specs Raikou with Hidden Power Grass to lure in Snorlax and Rhyperior and seriously weaken them both. Stealth Rock helps Zapdos to get some nice ko's, and cim has provided you with a list of viable stealth rock setters.

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm dumb and accidentally merged the viability thread into a huge deleted thread, stay tuned while I try to get it back.

I did it!!

I was wondering if a mixed Life Orb Flygon set with Outrage, Earthquake, Draco Meteor and Fire Blast/Roost would be any good in the current UU metagame. I'm also unsure if using any specific natures/EV's helps net any important KO's so some help on that front would be appreciated too.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Mixed Flygon is generally not viable, because his offensive stats aren't very high and you have to split the evs, this is compounded by the fact that, with only 80 base SpA, even if you fully invest on Special Attack and use a Life Orb, the damage output from Flygon's special attacks is very disappointing. Plus, there isn't any pokemon you're beating with a Mixed set that you were not beating when running a full physical set along a boosting item. So if you're looking for a Flygon set that can take down defensive pokemon, look no further than Choice Band, which is very effective in the current metagame.

Whats the best set for mew?
Im having trouble deciding where i want it on my team, as it can function as a lot of things
Movesets would be most appreciated :3

That question's nigh impossible to answer, simply because like you said it can function as a lot of things. My personal favorite right now is it's SD set, but as you know it can do well in several roles. The SD set I'm using right now is

Mew@ Life Orb
Jolly
112 HP, 252 Att, 144 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch
-Drain Punch
-Zen Headbutt

The speed EV's are to outspeed Timid Rotom Appliances (and more notably, non-scarf Nidoking and Heracross), some HP for bulk, and max attack for max attack. If you want to go Nasty Plot I'd suggest just maxing speed and special attack since you don't have priority. The support set in the Smogon dex is pretty popular right now, but I'm not sure what speed people are trying to hit with it so hopefully someone else could get you those EV's if you want them.

Can I make a new Slaking discussion thread? I'm thinking stuff like Victini shouldn't get the spotlight over it for hit-and-run attacks, because both are forced to switch anyway and at the very least you won't get Pursuit-killed with Slaking or killed by Stealth Rock on the way in.

kokoloko

Feel free, but I can assure you that Victini is a better hit-and-run Pokemon for a few reasons.

Just curious:

If Defiant were to boost your attack when using a self-inflicting stat drop move, would it make things like Braviary more threatening? Would something like Pawniard be Uber if this were the case? Or it wouldn't really matter and there would be obvious ways around the ability still?

~ Aether Nexus

It would make the ability preeeeetty insane, because stuff like Close Combat would be a 4-stage boost and Superpower would be a 3 stage. But, I think that's kind of irrelevant as it's an 'what if' question, like 'what if Slaking got Pure Power'.

As scraggy is going to be getting its DW abililty soon i have to ask if i should use intimidate over Moxie or shed skin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)