Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi I was trying to make an Endure+Custap Dragonite for 1v1 but it wouldn't allow it. What's wrong with it?
I assume your Dragonite is a multiscale one. Unfortunately, Endure can only be learnt in gen 3, which means that Inner Focus would be its only ability.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How is an attack that spreads affected in doubles and triples?
If there is more than a target, the power will be reduced to 75%. A Pokémon being immune or using protect counts as a target so the power will be reduced. But if your opponent has only one Pokémon on the field and you use Rock Slide, the power will be full.

If there is more than a target, the power will be reduced to 75%. A Pokémon being immune or using protect counts as a target so the power will be reduced. But if your opponent has only one Pokémon on the field and you use Rock Slide, the power will be full.
is it reduced to 75%, regardless of the amount of targets? like would a rock slide in doubles do the same amount in triples?

I'm am new and I don't know were to start.I have just been playing randoms.thanks for the feedback

Trickster edit: this was originally a thread called "I'm new what tier to start in!? Easy one for a starter." so he was asking what a good tier to start in is (just editing this in so it makes more sense contextually).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm am new and I don't know were to start.I have just been playing randoms.thanks for the feedback
OU is typically thought of as the "standard" tier because it's the highest tier that's decided on usage. I don't think it's easier or harder than the other tiers but it's probably a good place to start because of its popularity.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi all,

Enjoying showdown very much, what a fantastic f2p game!

Recently I was invited to a Gen 2 random battle, which I didn't think existed. The only past generation random battle format I've been able to use is Gen 1. I also looked at the current active battle tabs and there are dozens more formats than I can see on my own 'Find a battle' tab.

I was curious if there was some trick to me finding the missing formats.

Here is a screenshot of what I can see.

View attachment 66897

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks!
R
You have more battle options when you challenge someone directly, by clicking on their name and selecting the Challenge option! :)

Ok, so I just played a game in OU after not having played for about a month and a half. I won the game and my gxe went slightly up, however my elo went down by 58. If I'm not mistaken, ones rating goes down if you haven't played for awhile, but I literally checked right before the battle and right afterwards and bam, down 58 for a win. I thought that the system gradually lowered your rating overtime, not just all at once the next time you played. Could someone clear this up/explain how this works? I'm a bit confused of the mechanics...

You can't change your colour. If you really want a new colour you need to find a new name (/nick newusername).
You can also just type /nick and press enter. That will make a popout appear, in which you can see a preview of the new username's color without actually having to log into it.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so I just played a game in OU after not having played for about a month and a half. I won the game and my gxe went slightly up, however my elo went down by 58. If I'm not mistaken, ones rating goes down if you haven't played for awhile, but I literally checked right before the battle and right afterwards and bam, down 58 for a win. I thought that the system gradually lowered your rating overtime, not just all at once the next time you played. Could someone clear this up/explain how this works? I'm a bit confused of the mechanics...
From what I can gather: The rating does gradually go down for the longer you're inactive, it just doesn't update until the next time you battle. So the longer you are inactive before playing a ladder game again, the more points you'll lose after doing your next one. But if you just view the rating, without battling for a while, the Elo should stay the same.

I'm not really sure how GXE works with inactivity. But this old thread about it (found by clicking "GXE" in the COIL Explained thread) might help, though I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for.

I have set up a Showdown server at port 8000 that works locally, and all that is left now is to port forward. There are no guides online for my ISP (Sky hub) as they are all for outbound services for torrenting and games etc.

I have set up outbound on port 8000 across all ip addresses just fine, but for some reason an inbound rule requires a "Send to LAN server" field that requires a specific IP address to be entered. I have already tried my public IP (both 4 and 6) but that does not allow conencting to the server at <mypublicip>.psim.us

Can anyone tell me what I need to enter into this field?

I have set up a Showdown server at port 8000 that works locally, and all that is left now is to port forward. There are no guides online for my ISP (Sky hub) as they are all for outbound services for torrenting and games etc.

I have set up outbound on port 8000 across all ip addresses just fine, but for some reason an inbound rule requires a "Send to LAN server" field that requires a specific IP address to be entered. I have already tried my public IP (both 4 and 6) but that does not allow conencting to the server at <mypublicip>.psim.us

Can anyone tell me what I need to enter into this field?
I solved this by going to Command Prompt and entering the "ipconfig" command and used the IPv4 address under "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection" (I guess it may have been under something else if I were connecting wirelessly) and mine turned out to be "192.168.0.5" which is incidentally what I type into my browser to access my router settings.

I do have another question:
Is there a guide to creating content for the server? Such as creating and editing formats, changing format rules, banlists, special effects (like inverse battles or type reflector etc). I am familiar with JavaScript but the lack of comments in the code and the fact the files are spread out all over different folders makes it a bit of a task to work out from scratch.

This glitch costed me the match! Need to fix ASAP!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4ou-418162881

Pardon my ignorance, but on Turn 26, why did my Bastiodon eat its Chople Berry (halves Fighting type damage) even though it used Protect? He was never hit by Medicham's High Jump Kick, so he shouldn't have eaten the Berry! If Bastiodon hadn't eaten it on Turn 26, he probably wouldn't have fainted on Turn 27 (because he would have eaten it then) and he could have used Protect on Turn 28, causing Medicham to knock itself out from crash damage. I may have been able to knock out Jolteon with Ice Beam or Metal Burst on Turn 29 or 30, but I didn't get an opportunity because of this glitch.

Even though it was highly unlikely that I would have won my match, I still want it to get fixed so it doesn't happen to other people. Please help!

I solved this by going to Command Prompt and entering the "ipconfig" command and used the IPv4 address under "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection" (I guess it may have been under something else if I were connecting wirelessly) and mine turned out to be "192.168.0.5" which is incidentally what I type into my browser to access my router settings.

I do have another question:
Is there a guide to creating content for the server? Such as creating and editing formats, changing format rules, banlists, special effects (like inverse battles or type reflector etc). I am familiar with JavaScript but the lack of comments in the code and the fact the files are spread out all over different folders makes it a bit of a task to work out from scratch.
formats can be edited/added through config > formats.js
custom formats are added in mods > (tier name) such as mods > tier shift
the actual battle is found at battle-engine.js
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ps-development-school-wip.3569699/ also includes a list of all the battle events

Whenever I try to upload a replay on my server, I get this message: This server's request IP is not a registered server.
I have recently registered the server, is there anything else I need to do to be able to upload replays?

formats can be edited/added through config > formats.js
custom formats are added in mods > (tier name) such as mods > tier shift
the actual battle is found at battle-engine.js
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ps-development-school-wip.3569699/ also includes a list of all the battle events
Thank you for the helpful links! They have allowed me create a new format/mod, play around with immunities and effectiveness, and modify moves on particular conditions. However, I am stumped with another question, would you be able to help?

Is it possible to make a move ignore one particular immunity but not the others? (ignoreImmunity ignores every immunity, ignoreImmunity: {'<type>': true} doesn't seem to work whether true or false, or whether attacking type or immunity bearing type is used). Example: Would it be possible for "Sky Uppercut" to ignore being immune to the "Flying" type without making it ignore being immune to "Ghost" type?

Would it be possible to assign Pokemon multiple abilities, both by default and by selection for a particular mod/format? Example: Bronzong will always receive the Levitate ability, but user can choose between Heatproof and Heavy Metal (to have in addition to Levitate) in the Team Builder.

Would the same be possible for moves? Example: Klinklang will always have access to the moves Gear Grind and Shift Gear during battle, in addition to the four other moves chosen in the Team Builder. (I think this may be possible due to a Metagame of the month on showdown once allowing 6 move slots on every pokemon as long as all 6 were in the text import).

What about allowing Moves and Pokemon to have multiple types?

Last edited:

Pardon my ignorance, but on Turn 26, why did my Bastiodon eat its Chople Berry (halves Fighting type damage) even though it used Protect? He was never hit by Medicham's High Jump Kick, so he shouldn't have eaten the Berry! If Bastiodon hadn't eaten it on Turn 26, he probably wouldn't have fainted on Turn 27 (because he would have eaten it then) and he could have used Protect on Turn 28, causing Medicham to knock itself out from crash damage. I may have been able to knock out Jolteon with Ice Beam or Metal Burst on Turn 29 or 30, but I didn't get an opportunity because of this glitch.

Even though it was highly unlikely that I would have won my match, I still want it to get fixed so it doesn't happen to other people. Please help!
<<bump>>

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus

That would be more fitting for the bug reports thread, This thread is more for questions about the server, rather than reporting bugs.

Is it possible to make a move ignore one particular immunity but not the others? (ignoreImmunity ignores every immunity, ignoreImmunity: {'<type>': true} doesn't seem to work whether true or false, or whether attacking type or immunity bearing type is used). Example: Would it be possible for "Sky Uppercut" to ignore being immune to the "Flying" type without making it ignore being immune to "Ghost" type?
Given how Thousand Arrows works, I would have thought ignoreImmunity: {'Flying': true} (not that anything is immune to Flying) would have worked.
Would it be possible to assign Pokemon multiple abilities, both by default and by selection for a particular mod/format? Example: Bronzong will always receive the Levitate ability, but user can choose between Heatproof and Heavy Metal (to have in addition to Levitate) in the Team Builder.
You can't directly give it more than one ability, because there are a number of places where abilities are checked. Some abilities can be given to all Pokémon, for example in Protean Palace, but it would be harder to give all Pokémon Levitate.
Would the same be possible for moves? Example: Klinklang will always have access to the moves Gear Grind and Shift Gear during battle, in addition to the four other moves chosen in the Team Builder.
Although (without resorting to import/export) the team builder only supports 4 moves, the battle engine allows up to 24 moves. You could try adding the moves at the beginning of the battle. Note that you need to modify moves, baseMoves, moveset and baseMoveset for everything to work correctly.
What about allowing Moves and Pokemon to have multiple types?
The battle engine currently doesn't allow moves to have multiple types (Flying Press is hardcoded). However current versions of the engine allow Pokemon to have at least three types (for Trick-or-Treat and Forest's Curse but also for OMs such as Hidden Type).

That would be more fitting for the bug reports thread, This thread is more for questions about the server, rather than reporting bugs.
Adding to this, if you're not sure if it's a bug this is a good first place to ask. (Users are often mistaken about game mechanics when they think they've found a bug.)

If nobody can explain why it happened, the bug reports thread can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bug-reports-v2-0-read-op-before-posting.3469932/ (read the opening post).

Edit: oops, the link was already provided, my bad

Have a look at how it's done in this OM: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...s-plus-announced.3570431/page-21#post-6947251

Last edited:
So I just got a phone that's good enough to have Facebook messenger and I wanted to know if the showdown app is still alive and kicking since I can't find it in the app store and thought maybe I had to download it somewhere and then put it on my phone.

Is that the case or should I just use my browser to play on my phone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)