Item Assault Vest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see this guy doing fairly well in the lower tiers.

@ Assault Vest
Ability: Sticky Hold
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4SDef
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch / Brick Break
- Ice Punch / Brick Break
- Shadow Sneak

Good typing, base 105 Atk and HP coupled with 100 SDef makes Muk a decent user of Assault Vest. Sticky Hold is always welcomed to fight the most recent Knock Off fetish.
The moves are easy to explain: Gunk Shot is an extremely powerful STAB (and more accurate than never!), the elementar punches are for obvious coverage issues while Shadow Sneak gives it priority to finish off weakened opponents.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 138-164 (33.3 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Muk Gunk Shot vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus-T: 249-294 (83 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (ko's next turn with Shadow Sneak)
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 236-278 (57 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rhyperior @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Wrecker
- Power-Up Punch
- Poison Jab
Not sure if any Rhyperior sets with AV have been suggested yet, but I found this to be pretty lethal.
Solid Rock is just a great ability in general, being able to take only 75% of a super-effective hit.
252 to HP lets Rhyperior absorb a lot of damage, Rhyperior does enough physical damage as it is that he can sacrifice a little bit of his attack EVs, and throwing a little on Spec Def gives him a better cushion plus the Assault vest on top. Put on some heavy hitting moves like earthquake and rock-wrecker, and some checks, and you've got a lethal AV Rhyperior.

Rhyperior @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Wrecker
- Power-Up Punch
- Poison Jab
Not sure if any Rhyperior sets with AV have been suggested yet, but I found this to be pretty lethal.
Solid Rock is just a great ability in general, being able to take only 75% of a super-effective hit.
252 to HP lets Rhyperior absorb a lot of damage, Rhyperior does enough physical damage as it is that he can sacrifice a little bit of his attack EVs, and throwing a little on Spec Def gives him a better cushion plus the Assault vest on top. Put on some heavy hitting moves like earthquake and rock-wrecker, and some checks, and you've got a lethal AV Rhyperior.
I really like to use AV Rhyperior, but no offense, that set isn't very good. I'd use this:

Rhyperior @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

0/252 SDef is more specially bulky than 252HP/0 by about 7-10%. I don't really see the use though for him in this meta, aside from checking Talonflame. Sure, he can take hits from the like of Rotom-W, but not much else, which constrains him to a pretty specific niche. As for moves, Rhyperior doesn't get STAB Drain Punch like Conkeldurr or Regenerator like Tangrowth. He gets...erm, Dragon Tail. So yeah, Rhyperior is really lacking in non-status utility moves and health recovery; furthermore, AV doesn't really bait anything specifically -- sure, like I said before, he can barely survive Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, but then you can't even 2HKO back. Running Careful and 252HP/252SDef means you lose substantial power, unlike Conkeldurr who can still do significant damage due to Guts, which is common in this status-infested meta. Finally, Rock Wrecker -- and all variations of Hyper Beam -- are bad because you can do more damage with 2 Stone Edges (well, excluding accuracy), you won't get enough time to use Power-Up Punch, and Poison Jab seems very random.

Basically, outside of checking Talonflame (for which you want to run Lefties) and checking M-Pinsir (for which you want to run physically defensive Lefties/Air Balloon), Rhyperior does not have a significant niche in OU, even with the glorious special defense boost of Ass Vest.

Does anyone know if Assault Vest works if you're mon is carrying counter/mirror coat?
It does, Counter/Mirror Coat aren't status moves, so they work just fine. Not sure if there are good AV users with Counter/Mirror Coat, maybe Goodra.

what about latias? She could get alot more use with the increased special defense, and latias has no trouble making a no-status set, with so many options like thunderbolt, energy ball, and surf it could becoma a major threat.

Latias has enough special bulk as it is to switch into most special attacks and roost off the damage. She doesn't really need assault vest to soak special attacks. She really loves to have defog as well. Defog is the primary reason you'd use her in OU, plus goodra outclasses her completely as an AV user and even goodra's set isn't that effective

I really like to use AV Rhyperior, but no offense, that set isn't very good. I'd use this:

Rhyperior @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

0/252 SDef is more specially bulky than 252HP/0 by about 7-10%. I don't really see the use though for him in this meta, aside from checking Talonflame. Sure, he can take hits from the like of Rotom-W, but not much else, which constrains him to a pretty specific niche. As for moves, Rhyperior doesn't get STAB Drain Punch like Conkeldurr or Regenerator like Tangrowth. He gets...erm, Dragon Tail. So yeah, Rhyperior is really lacking in non-status utility moves and health recovery; furthermore, AV doesn't really bait anything specifically -- sure, like I said before, he can barely survive Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, but then you can't even 2HKO back. Running Careful and 252HP/252SDef means you lose substantial power, unlike Conkeldurr who can still do significant damage due to Guts, which is common in this status-infested meta. Finally, Rock Wrecker -- and all variations of Hyper Beam -- are bad because you can do more damage with 2 Stone Edges (well, excluding accuracy), you won't get enough time to use Power-Up Punch, and Poison Jab seems very random.

Basically, outside of checking Talonflame (for which you want to run Lefties) and checking M-Pinsir (for which you want to run physically defensive Lefties/Air Balloon), Rhyperior does not have a significant niche in OU, even with the glorious special defense boost of Ass Vest.
IMO one of the best things about Rhyperior is his ability to set up rocks, and given his myriad of weaknesses due to this dual typing, I really wouldn't run Assault Vest on him especially when his weaknesses on the special side are easily covered by a grass type - which can easily synergize well in either setting hazards or status.

Poliwrath could potentially be a lower-tier conkeldurr.
Except it doesnt get Drain Punch, doesn't get Knock Off and doesn't get Mach Punch and now that I think about it, doesn't get Guts either.

The only half decent AV Conkeldurr alternatives for lower tiers I've seen sofar are AV Hariyama and AV Machamp, both of which lack Drain Punch and good Priority, but both of them keep Knock Off, Guts and Ice Punch.

Except it doesnt get Drain Punch, doesn't get Knock Off and doesn't get Mach Punch and now that I think about it, doesn't get Guts either.

The only half decent AV Conkeldurr alternatives for lower tiers I've seen sofar are AV Hariyama and AV Machamp, both of which lack Drain Punch and good Priority, but both of them keep Knock Off, Guts and Ice Punch.
if you want to argue then at least keep your facts straight. poliwrath gets drain punch.
combine that with water absorb and that's more than enough for at least ru

Latias has enough special bulk as it is to switch into most special attacks and roost off the damage. She doesn't really need assault vest to soak special attacks. She really loves to have defog as well. Defog is the primary reason you'd use her in OU, plus goodra outclasses her completely as an AV user and even goodra's set isn't that effective
That's exactly what I thought, Defog all the way.

Imo Assault Vest is a really bad(maybe mediocre) item. On par with Air Balloon. The only good user is definitely Guts Conkeldrr. Who acts as a great counter to Rotom W. A Guts activated AV Conkeldrr is pretty scary, especially with wish support. Otherwise the item adds nothing. The pokemon using it become pathetically weak and just fodder for support pokemon.

I am biased though since its been years since I've used an offensive team. Either way this item is probably a waste and Leftovers would be a better fit. I still find it funny how someone suggests this item for any random pokemon when Conkeldrr is the only viable one ive ever seen.

Excadrill is viable with it too. So are other pokemon like rotom-w and landorus-t. But conkeldurr really is the only pokemon in OU that uses it on its main set. But yeah, almost all of these are poor being suggested here.

Imo Assault Vest is a really bad(maybe mediocre) item. On par with Air Balloon. The only good user is definitely Guts Conkeldrr. Who acts as a great counter to Rotom W. A Guts activated AV Conkeldrr is pretty scary, especially with wish support. Otherwise the item adds nothing. The pokemon using it become pathetically weak and just fodder for support pokemon.

I am biased though since its been years since I've used an offensive team. Either way this item is probably a waste and Leftovers would be a better fit. I still find it funny how someone suggests this item for any random pokemon when Conkeldrr is the only viable one ive ever seen.
You're either ignorant or stupid if you think Conk is the only good AV user, I do agree that people are going overboard trying to run AV on just about anything but things like AV Slowbro, Tangrowth and Tornadus-T are definitely viable, Goodra makes decent use of it too but is rather mediocre in OU.

Guys, are we forgetting Kangaskhan and his amazing ability called scrappy?

The Ghost Killer
Kangaskhan@Assault vest
Ability: Scrappy
252hp/252atk/4sp.def
Adamant
-Power-up Punch
-Drain punch
-Sucker Punch
-Facade/Return

i REALLY like facade changes this generation and is still underrated. i was fighting against a vaporean i assume was max defense, i got +1 off PUP as he switched in vaporean. knew status was coming so i went for another pup. then he toxic'd me. well boys and girls, +2 Facade 140 base power. ohko.

How'd you get 738 Special Defense on Tyranitar?

31 SPD IV, 252 SPD EVs, Careful Nature T-Tar = 328 Sp. Defense x2 (50% twice of base) = 656?

Last edited:
I imagine the special defense boost from sandstorm was also taken into account.
I edited it when I realized the sandstorm would be added in. I'd imagine that both the storm and the vest would be based off the original stats and not after one boosts it, like I edited it to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)