Assault Vest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Groudon shouldn't use assault vest for roughly the same reasons as Dialga. Lando shouldn't aim to tank special hits with its typing. The two last mons you mentioned aren't viable, and wasting a slot on then is shitty.

Assault Vest Scizor misses out on a lot of crucial options that Mega-Scizor or standard Scizor hard. Even though it handles Xerneas better, it isn't an absolute counter as it can be worn down without Roost and beaten by HP Fire.

Furthermore the lack reliable recovery, Toxic to at least do something to incoming Ho-oh, Swords Dance to bust through some teams, or Defog to support your team by removing hazards, makes me really not see a point in using Assailt Vest on it.

@Assault Vest
252hp/252Sdef/4Atk Careful Sassy
~Power Whip
~Gyro Ball
~knock Off
~Explosion/Bulldoze

I have not try this out extensively, but it works ok for me so far. No entry hazzard or leech seed is unfortunate, but it can still knock off items and suuport the team. Most importantly, it can now switch into Spout from specs Orge. if it is at full health, taking only 41.19 - 48.57% and retaliate. Geomancy boosted Focus Blast will also fail to KO. It is better to pair this thing with Wish support though, as it does not have ANY recovery, not even leftovers.

Last edited:

@Assault Vest
252hp/252Sdef/4Atk Careful
~Power Whip
~Gyro Ball
~knock Off
~Explosion/Bulldoze

I have not try this out extensively, but it works ok for me so far. No entry hazzard or leech seed is unfortunate, but it can still knock off items and suuport the team. Most importantly, it can now switch into Spout from specs Orge. if it is at full health, taking only 41.19 - 48.57% and retaliate. Geomancy boosted Focus Blast will also fail to KO. It is better to pair this thing with Wish support though, as it does not have ANY recovery, not even leftovers.
Heh, I thought of the same thing on the Ferrothorn thread (giving Ferrothorn an Assault Vest, that is, though I didn't have an actual set). But if it's running Gyro Ball, shouldn't it have a Sassy nature?

I don't really understand the point of that set. A big part of why Ferrothorn wasn't entirely shit unviable even in the end of BW2 was because of the fast healing and residual damage leech seed+protect gave you. With healing from high HP mons in the tier+protect you simply heal up more to compensate for the loss of bulk that you get when not using assault vest. Knock off is a neat move but you will have a tough time using it properly when you are limited to like 2 switch ins per game.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
What about Therain Tornadus?
Assault Vest wouldn't really do it any favours. It has quite awful typing and bulk to take hits, and its Special Attack is incredibly mediocre for the tier, so it really needs the boost from Life Orb. It wants to rely on its great speed and good power to destroy opponents before they can do the same, while taking advantage of Regenerator to mitigate the passive damage from Life Orb/Stealth Rock.

That being said, the generation shift has hurt it. A perfectly accurate Hurricane (in permanent rain) was one of its main selling points, and while the fast Taunt is better than ever, it really lacks power without being able to rely on Hurricane and can hardly afford a single miss due to its frailty.

Assault Vest Scizor misses out on a lot of crucial options that Mega-Scizor or standard Scizor hard. Even though it handles Xerneas better, it isn't an absolute counter as it can be worn down without Roost and beaten by HP Fire.

Furthermore the lack reliable recovery, Toxic to at least do something to incoming Ho-oh, Swords Dance to bust through some teams, or Defog to support your team by removing hazards, makes me really not see a point in using Assailt Vest on it.
Only thing you should be doing to Ho-Oh as Scizor is U-turning as it switches in. No point in using a move specifically for one Pokemon when you have the best scouting move in the game. Scizor can't do anything to Poison Arceus, either and Toxic isn't going to help with that.

Ferrothorn should never use an Assault Vest. It loses out on Leftovers so it has absolutely no form of recovery and can't even run Leech Seed to remedy that. Spikes and Leech Seed are pretty much the only reasons to use Ferrothorn over Grass Arceus.

Only thing you should be doing to Ho-Oh as Scizor is U-turning as it switches in. No point in using a move specifically for one Pokemon when you have the best scouting move in the game. Scizor can't do anything to Poison Arceus, either and Toxic isn't going to help with that.
Sorry to break it to you but U-turning every time Ho-oh switches in isn't as simple as it sounds- and even bringing in something that can threaten Ho-oh does not necessarily win in the long run. And eventually when you have revenge kill something- it gets a free turn. What if you are up against a Xerneas with HP fire that is in BP range? There are plenty of scenarios where U-turning out isn't easy. And assuming no SR then you lose to it in the long run since you cant recover health. Toxic is one of the most important moves in the game this generation anyway so I don't see any point whatsover of using AV Scizor.

Last edited:
Actually, you can't Trick since Assault Vest prevents its use. From what I understand, Assault Vest basically puts a permanent Taunt on the holder. That's how I think about it anyway.

Hence why I recommended Lopunny & Swoobat earlier.
Running 2 horrible/gimmicky NU mons in ubers just for the CHANCE to try to trick assault vest onto a mon like lugia which would pose a big issue for it. But the point is it is really gimmicky and inconsistent, specifically considering someone wouldn't try to stall those two out with mons that rely on non-attacking moves as those mons can't pose a threat to bulky attackers roaming ubers.

I'll admit they kinda suck, but because they're never used (literally), people don't always know what to expect. For example, Swoobat gets Thunder Wave, U-Turn, Tailwind, Endeavor & Super Fang (transfer required).
Lopunny gets... Fake Out, Thunder Wave, Baton Pass, Encore, Heal Bell, Circle Throw... oh who am I kidding? This was a stupid idea.

Sorry to break it to you but U-turning every time Ho-oh switches in isn't as simple as it sounds- and even bringing in something that can threaten Ho-oh does not necessarily win in the long run. And eventually when you have revenge kill something- it gets a free turn. What if you are up against a Xerneas with HP fire that is in BP range? There are plenty of scenarios where U-turning out isn't easy. And assuming no SR then you lose to it in the long run since you cant recover health. Toxic is one of the most important moves in the game this generation anyway so I don't see any point whatsover of using AV Scizor.
Toxic won't help you in that scenario anyway. Xerneas is obviously going to HP Fire if it stays in, so you're dead if you don't BP. Toxic can only ever be used when Ho-Oh switches in, since it's just going to either Sub or hit you with a Fire attack after it's already in. U-turn actually gives you utility against multiple Pokemon, instead of just Ho-Oh.

Lol toxic also gives you a good advantage against other common switch ins- besides there is nothing AV scizor does really well in my eyes. If anyone could explain what's actually good about losing out on SD, Roost, Toxic, Defog for a 50 % boost in sdef (which idk if it helps against any notable 2HKOs or OHKOs and if it does you can recover health anyway+Mega Scizor has a better sdef so the boost isn't actually 50 % when compared in that case).

After testing this item on multiple mons I found that the only one that I like with it is:

*drama pause

Yveltal

cause thanks to OW it can heal itself from nearly every secial attack that he takes.
I still don't know what spread should be used but for now i'm trying this:

Yveltal @ assault vest
quiet 252hp 252satk 4sdef
oblivion wing
dark pulse
focus blast
sucker punch

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Atm I'm running Kia with wish/aroma support

Palkia @ assault vest
252 hp/100 SpA/158 SpD
Calm nature
0 atk ivs
-spacial
-surf
-thunder
-fire blast

Avoids a 5hko from non specs ogre while avoiding a 3hko from specs ogre.
Avoids a 4hko from darkrai
Avoids a 2hko from LO yveltals dark pulse
Lives latias' Draco meteor
Unfortunately it has no chance of tanking +2 xerneas moonblast.

Among tons of other not as important things. Investing just enough in special defense to hit crucial benchmarks while having enough power to 2hko all relevant threats.

Lol toxic also gives you a good advantage against other common switch ins- besides there is nothing AV scizor does really well in my eyes. If anyone could explain what's actually good about losing out on SD, Roost, Toxic, Defog for a 50 % boost in sdef (which idk if it helps against any notable 2HKOs or OHKOs and if it does you can recover health anyway+Mega Scizor has a better sdef so the boost isn't actually 50 % when compared in that case).
Ugh... I already admitted it (Scizor) sucked before this argument, and I was just curious if it had any potential at all (which it doesn't). Main pokes I like with the item thus far are Palkia and Yveltal, as this thread already detailed, but the limitations of the item are too great for anything other than those niche users (albeit very powerful niche users).

After testing this item on multiple mons I found that the only one that I like with it is:

*drama pause

Yveltal

cause thanks to OW it can heal itself from nearly every secial attack that he takes.
I still don't know what spread should be used but for now i'm trying this:

Yveltal @ assault vest
quiet 252hp 252satk 4sdef
oblivion wing
dark pulse
focus blast
sucker punch
I really like this set, except I use foul play over focus blast to annihilate Ho-oh. Also, Palkia is perfect for assault vest. Palkia only ever uses 4 attacks anyway, and with scarf/specs being a bad idea for a dragon with Xerneas around, you might as well take the extra sdef so you can switch into Kyogre more often.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
D

Does palkia really appreciate the extra bulk? From my experince it already took sp. Attacks pretty well.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Palkia: 187-221 (58 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Palkia in Rain: 143-169 (44.4 - 52.4%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)