Avoiding the Weather Bandwagon. (Team NIDOKING)

IMAGES COMING SOON
I have this philosophy of the Universal Team that has an answer to all Pokemon teams. The last few RMTs I posted here were all more or less the same team, slowly evolving as the metagame and my experience grew.
This is a new RMT because of how much the team as changed since the first/last RMT.
I hope you like it.

Uxie @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef (IVs: 0 Spd)
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Yawn
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Magic Coat

Why.

For good reason, Uxie is probably in all my teams. Uxie gives me phazing thru Yawn. Uxie gives me Stealth Rocks. Uxie gives me scouting thru U-Turn. Uxie denies you with Magic Coat. All in all, Uxie is reliable and I recommend it as the best universal lead in a metagame where the term 'lead' is loosely used.
Typing draws Dark/ Bug moves; opening opportunities for Lucario/ Gyarados.

Why Not.
Uxie maintains a great role throughout the match, but once you set up and once they have a pokemon asleep, Uxie loses half its value. Uxie can be used to absorb hits with its great bulk and 'slow' U-Turn. U-Turn's weak power is more or less equivalent to Stealth Rock damage.

Additional Comments.
If you are down to your last Pokemon and that Pokemon is Uxie, you're doing it wrong. Uxie loves to play bodyguard for the team's frailer members.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Dragon Tail

Why.

Gyarados is my Go-To when I need something gone but not sure what I am up against. Gyarados isn't afraid of Burn and Statuses rarely do any real harm. Gyarados Intimidates and/or phazes set up. He's mainly there to check Conkdeldurr, Scizor, Azurmaril, Breloom, you know… piority users, as well as Blaziken and Volcarona.
Specific Weaknesses gives Nidoking switch in opportunities.

Why Not.
I'm not sure why not. Gyarados makes an excellent phazer and Status absorbent.

Additional Comments.
Watch out for Gyarados' weakness to Rock moves commonly carried by the Pokemon he checks.
Gyarados should use Rest often. His staying value and strong Dragon Tail and Waterfall is essential to weakening the opponents for a successful sweep.

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Why.

Sheer Force gives Nidoking a largely underestimated power. Coverage and recoilless Life Orb just adds to his power because he can switch to a super effective move whenever possible.
Nidoking's average speed is enough to ruin slower stall teams. Aslo, Nidoking's Poison/Ground-Typing lets it resist Mach Punch/ Bullet Punch and KO Conkdeldurr/ Scizor.
Water weakness covers by bulky Gyarados and Rotom-W.

Why Not.
I already got used to Nidoking's average speed but average speed is only average. If any of you guys got a faster Pokemon that's just as specially strong and can check Scizor and Conkdeldurr, let me know.

Additional Comments.
Earth Power is to Nidoking as Draco Meteor is to Latios; when in doubt, spam. Of course, spamming Ground moves is a bad idea against so many Flying and Levitaters.
Don't use Nidoking too bombastically, he's this teams only reliable Electric Resist.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Why.

Serves as scout and revenge killer. Even with no defensive EVs, Rotom-W's typing lets it take Water-Moves like a boss and scout with Volt Switch. Late game, Choice Scarf STAB Hydro Pump also cleans up like a boss.

Why Not.
Hidden Power [Fire] slows down Rotom-W, but counters Scizor and checks Ferrothorn and other Steels. It's not strong enough to OHKO Ferrothorn.
I sometimes wish Rotom-W was replaced by something that can outspend and OHKO +1 Garchomp/Dragons, but Rotom-W carries an important resist to Steel, Water, Flying, and Ground.

Additional Comments.
Volt Switch and Electric-moves are easily predicted. Don't get stuck on Volt-Switch against common immune switch ins.
Don't hesitate to lose the Scarf when against slower teams.

Lucario (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch

Why.

Lucario's archenemy, Gliscor is now running less Spd EVs to tank the new power-creeped generation. This by correlation means Lucario got faster. Ice Punch to abuse this fact and check Gliscor.
Air Balloon gives Lucario the defense to resist everything Excadril and friends has to offer. Extremespeed is now +2 priority, an advantage against Mach Punch. Let's move on.

Why Not.
This is my sweeper and the point of this team, there is no "Why Not".

Additional Comments.
I would love to make/have a calculated chart of everything Lucario can KO with ES/CC.
Lucario can come in to force out a Pokemon and CC the switch in for massive damage. Immediate switch out if not ready for a sweep though, you don't want to pop his Balloon until the time comes.
Balloon is essential to an easy Swords Dance.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Why.

Typing draws Dark/ Ice moves; great opportunities for Lucario and Rotom-W.
Strong Draco Meteor, Surf, Hidden Power [Fire]. Trick to cripple Stall when Draco Meteor can't do the job; let's go straight to the "why not". You can read all you need to know from the analysis.

Why Not.
Not Choice Scarfed, hindering Hidden Power IVs, Latios can be easily revenged killed. Oh yea, huge weakness to Pursuit.

Additional Comments.
Don't hesitate to spam DM when you don't see a dedicated special wall.

Last Words/ Threats.
The fastest Pokemon on this team (save for Luke's ES) is Choice Scarfed Rotom-W at [297*1.5].
This gives me trouble against faster Pokemon like Flygon, Starmie, Gengar, Latios/Latias.
Fast DM nukes give me huge trouble- what do you guys think of a SpDef Banded Scizor with Pursuit? I think it can also KO Blissey/ Chansey.

My only reliable Electric-Resist is Nidoking, This gives Gyarados huge problems when he is knocked out too early- and when Gyarados is KO'd early, The team is left with easily revenged Choiced Pokemon.

Lucario hates Mach Punch and Aqua Jet. Don't let Gyarados die until those threats are weaken/KO'd.

To properly use Uxie, do your HW; know when to SR, when to Magic Coat, when to Yawn and when to U-Turn out.

I would comment, but that is a decent team. If it works for you, it isn't incredibly predictable, and it has at least one wildcard, then go for it. Good Luck.

Uxie: You clearly have experience with this one. There's not too much to add. Except I'm wondering why you have minimum speed. Is it to have a very slow U-turn so Uxie takes the hit instead of what switches in?

Gyarados: I use a similar Milotic, mainly with Surf instead of Waterfall. However, I use them with some speed (actually a lot) and it works pretty well. This may be because Milotic is somewhat bulkier and can afford to do that, but I use enough to outspeed Tyranitar and Adamant Breloom. Also, you can abuse the flinch chance.

Nidoking: Pretty standard. Just that I like to use Fire Blast over Flamethrower, but if you like Flamethrower more, go ahead.

Rotom: Maybe Rotom-H instead? You have Latios and a bulky Gyarados to take Water attacks, and they only threaten Nidoking.

Lucario: I would suggest a bulkier steel, but I can't think of any that can also pull off a sweep.

Latios: Standard.

Team: I suggest a bulkier Steel to take Dragon attacks and stuff like that. Jirachi can do pretty much everything Uxie does, except Yawn. I suggest either Wish or Thunder Wave to go there. Thunder Wave can help with your problem of getting outsped by everything, while Wish is just useful.

Overall: You sound like you are teaching us how to use the team. It's your team, just describe it.

Hmm. Rotom-H will give me another Electric Resist, and no more HP Fire. and I can lose Hydro Pump for a stronger TB...

Let me test out what that new Fire-Rock-Bug resist/ Water weak will do for the team. It looks like it also gives me a much needed counter to Thundurus.

p.s. @Kingdra, what do you mean by wildcard?
@zeb again, I picked Gyarados for his Flying-type. Resists Fighting and Bug. But outspeeding Tyranitar with no risk of stone edge sounds amazing... I will test that too. and What did you mean by flinch chance? you said you use surf on milotic.
How does Milotic fare against Volcarona, BlaziKen and friends in comparism to Gyarados.

I didn't say use Milotic. I just use Milotic for Rest+Sleep Talk because it's bulkier, especially when it's asleep. It also doesn't have that 4x electric weakness that you can accidentally bring out.

Waterfall has a 20% chance to flinch, but only if you go first.

Gyarados is better at handling Volcarona, because Quiver Dance boosts special defense and the Bug resist. Blaziken is now banned.

Rotom-H is Rock weak, not a Rock resist. However, you may want to pick a different set because being locked into a move that is quickly getting weaker (Overheat) is not preferable.

that was a late night TYPO. sorry.

well. Rotom-H is working out well. I am running OVERHEAT, HP-ICE, VOLT SWITCH, TRICK. with a CHOICE SPEC.

and because of such a change, Latios now has a CHOICE SCARF- because opposing Latios are always faster. (mb it's the hp-fire)

Problem now, I can't seem to win as much anymore and I feel like I should use a dedicated wall breaker.
Someone help point out the weak link in my team?

I'm willing to replace anyone. (but if you replace Lucario, I'll need someone else with a priority; and if you replace Uxie, I'll need another phazer/sleeper)

Will UPDATE OP once I feel comfortable with the changes.

Your team has one huge weakness: Scarf Tyranitar with Pursuit, crunch, stone edge, superpower, just like mine. it can trap latios, revenge kill lucario no problem, outspeed and take out gyarados (you should run a defensive helping nature on this by the way, and don't worry about speed. I've had plenty of experience with this set, and you don't need speed. also, i'd suggest roar over dragon tail, as it can go through subs.). Also, Uxie will be wrecked by T-Tar. I would suggest throwing a Bullet Punch on Lucario. may even think about swapping magic coat on Uxie to Toxic. It would give it a use both late game and early.Since you dont mind Gyara having statuses, it can just absorb them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)