Ladder Balanced Hackmons

Ok, so I'm getting into Balanced Hackmons, it's a great tier! And one thing I've found is that Hoopa is a fucking monster. I'm using a set of Tail Glow / Moonblast / Psystrike / Shadow Ball and with Speed Boost. I know a lot of things can do this, but holy crap it is strong, with 151 SpA (on pS!), it can certainly dent things. A lto of people say: what?? what's a hoopa??? Until it dents them!

Ok, so I'm getting into Balanced Hackmons, it's a great tier! And one thing I've found is that Hoopa is a fucking monster. I'm using a set of Tail Glow / Moonblast / Psystrike / Shadow Ball and with Speed Boost. I know a lot of things can do this, but holy crap it is strong, with 151 SpA (on pS!), it can certainly dent things. A lto of people say: what?? what's a hoopa??? Until it dents them!
In my opinion hoopa is pretty... bad. It's really weak to knock off and priority, and why use it over mega gengar? Also that set is total imposter/shed bait.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion hoopa is pretty... bad. It's really weak to knock off and priority, and why use it over mega gengar? Also that set is total imposter/shed bait.
Hoopa is not bad, in all honesty. What priority besides Sucker Punch are super common that Hoopa isn't resistant / immune to. Mega Gengar lacks STAB Psystrike, which tears through full on Physically Defensive Pokemon, for instance:
+2 252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 328-386 (46.5 - 54.8%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO
+3 252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 863-1018 (122.5 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The two are a little bit different, as Hoopa has a usable Attack stat, if you want to use Shell Smash and Mega Gengar is weaker after one boost if you're running a plate:
+3 252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Gengar: 853-1006 (263.2 - 310.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Spooky Plate Mega Gengar Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Gengar: 782-924 (241.3 - 285.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This is Shell Smash Judgement Mega Gengar versus Tail Glow Life Orb Hoopa. And so is Mega Gengar, too Knock Off. The Priority moves it is weak to include Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, and that's all. It is resistant / immune to Extreme Speed, Mach Punch / Vacuum Wave, and it is neutral to everything else. Right off the top of my head I thought of the uncommon Ice Shard Kyurem-B:
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Hoopa: 96-114 (26.3 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
And lel:
252+ SpA Kyurem-W Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Hoopa: 187-222 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It's very Physically weak, but it takes on hits from the Special side. I'll give it to you that it is weak to Shedinja and Chansey, but those can be handled other ways.

Hoopa is not bad, in all honesty. What priority besides Sucker Punch are super common that Hoopa isn't resistant / immune to.
Refrige Kyu-B and Pixel Xern both say hello.

Anyway, now that I have a moment to give my viewpoint.

If we add an ability clause, a lot of teams are going to be hurt, both stall and offense. Stall can't run multiple bouncers and the like, offense can't run multiple Contraries and Adapts, and neither can run multiple PHers. This is fine. I mean, playstyles get hurt, but they also get buffed. For example, stall no longer gets shut down by Regenerator-heavy teams that just shrug off residual damage for free. Stall also no longer has to worry about making a mistake against a Contrary-heavy team and getting swept. Meanwhile, Offense isn't getting Prankstered to hell while trying to find some momentum or trying to figure out how to even dent a group of well synergized Poison Healers.

Hyper offense and hyper stall probably get hurt the most by this. Balanced probably benefits the most.

Also, this situation is really comparable to species clause in standard. For example, would you say it's healthy for OU to be able to run a team of six Gale Wings Talonflames? No, probably not. What about six PH Gliscors? Unless you're packing ice moves, heck no. What about six Serene Grace Skymins in Ubers? I can see you grabbing your pitchforks already.

So why is it considered healthy to be able run that, and worse, in BH?

Also mind, I'm in favor of an ability clause despite the fact that I won't get away unscathed by it. I think I have just one team that wouldn't need updating. The rest have dual PHers, dual Regens, dual Flashfires, dual Adapt, triple MG, and more.

And finally, to bring back the replay I posted, it avoids silliness like I did there. Kumi had a great counter to PH users, specifically that MB Skarm with Simple Beam. But that one Pokemon wasn't able to handle a whole team of PH users on its own. Likewise, it'll typically be impossible for a single counter to stop a whole team abusing a single ability that's built and played by someone competent.

Single-ability clause, double-ability clause, whatever. All I know is that current status quo is bad.

Here's something that's completely unrelated to all the discussion about the clause stuff that I think might work pretty well:

Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Illusion (with shedinja as the last pokemon)
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Def / 252 SDef / 252 SAtk / 252 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Boomburst
- Secret Sword
- Infestation

Now, you may be wondering: Why would you run a mega stone when you could just use the regular mega evolution anyways? Well, first of all, when people see shedinja, the first thought is, "KILL IT WITH POISON" or "KILL IT WITH INFESTATION". This basically gives you a free turn to set up, as they will probably switch first turn. The great part about this set is that Xernaes and Kyurem-B won't come in and priority kill you, since they will see sturdy shedinja. Then, you can proceed to do whatever you want and mega-evolve whenever you want to. (secret sword is there to take care of chansey in case he/she finds out you have infestation).

Or, if you're even luckier, some people lead with the Stealth rock + dragon tail lead. This gives you 3 free turns to set up, as they will think you're a noob who uses wonder guard shedinja, meaning that xernaes and kyurem-b will still be worthless (but watch out for rayquaza). The chansey that's on nearly every legit team will immediately come in to get the wonder guard and try to kill you... only to find that it can't transform. You can secret sword to kill it or mega evolve and boomburst, attempting to kill something on the switch.

(Remember that this will not work on people who are new, since they will try to attack the shedinja anyways. Also, this is theoretical, so don't expect it to work all the time)

Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Boomburst
- Secret Sword
- Infestation
I like the idea, but it does seem a bit too good to be true. I might try this on the ladder when I have the time.

To be fair, I kinda support the species clause more than the ability clause (even though my 3 sturdy shedinja and 3 magic guard shedinja team will perish) because ability clause really limits all the fun you can have while species clause just causes more variety.

Anyways, here's something that's completely unrelated to all the discussion about the clause stuff that I think might work pretty well:

Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Boomburst
- Secret Sword
- Infestation

Now, you may be wondering: Why would you run a mega stone when you could just use the regular mega evolution anyways? Well, first of all, when people see shedinja, the first thought is, "KILL IT WITH POISON" or "KILL IT WITH INFESTATION". This basically gives you a free turn to set up, as they will probably switch first turn. The great part about this set is that Xernaes and Kyurem-B won't come in and priority kill you, since they will see sturdy shedinja. Then, you can proceed to do whatever you want and mega-evolve whenever you want to. (secret sword is there to take care of chansey in case he/she finds out you have infestation).

Or, if you're even luckier, some people lead with the Stealth rock + dragon tail lead. This gives you 3 free turns to set up, as they will think you're a noob who uses wonder guard shedinja, meaning that xernaes and kyurem-b will still be worthless (but watch out for rayquaza). The chansey that's on nearly every legit team will immediately come in to get the wonder guard and try to kill you... only to find that it can't transform. You can secret sword to kill it or mega evolve and boomburst, attempting to kill something on the switch.

(Remember that this will not work on people who are new, since they will try to attack the shedinja anyways. Also, this is theoretical, so don't expect it to work all the time)
This seems like an okay strategy. I really like the surprise of it, and its ability to feign being Shedinja pretty well. However, it'll only get to attempt to set up once, because of mega evolutions being glitchy with illusion. In addition, Wonder Guard Shedinja isn't actually allowed, so that line of thought isn't actually relevant.

I like the idea, but it does seem a bit too good to be true. I might try this on the ladder when I have the time.
Yeah, It probably won't work as well as I said. Still it's worth a shot to test out. I got the idea when I used imposter blissey on my mono-shedinja team.

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just talking about the Hoopa issue, Let's face it it's not a great mon in terms of survivability with a whopping 59 defense that can't even take on a single vcreate from X2 or Blaziken, and a quad weakness to the most common physical move in the entire tier of BH (knock off no prizes for guessing) BUT if you take the care to protect it from such threats it is a pretty hard hitting and solid mon. I personally have been waiting for a psyshic/ghost in terms of offensive prowess for a long time because of psystrike stab and judgment immunity, therefore I came up with this set:

Hoopa @ Spooky Plate
252HP/0-ATK/252 SpA/ 252 SpD/ 252 Spe
Ivs: 0 for attack
Psystrike
Tail Glow
Copycat
Judgment

This gets around his abysmal speed (Seriously, blastoise beats it in a race) by using the advantage of a slow judgment to hit twice after a +3. It is chansey proof since x4 Judgment ohkos at +3 and if you already have a judgment going, you can copycat it before the opponent psystrikes you. You can revenge gengar that has just killed one of your mons with a copycat of judgment which they are very likely not gonna expect. Oh and ohkos to both mewtwos unboosted from judgment is cool too. Psystrike is a great hitting move in virtually any situation. Copycat is a similarly versatile move that helps in copying a Heal Order, or a Draco from a dragon mon and much more.

Having said that... Pursuit.

lol.

Last edited:
Just talking about the Hoopa issue, Let's face it it's not a great mon in terms of survivability with a whopping 59 defense that can't even take on a single vcreate from X2 or Blaziken, and a quad weakness to the most common physical move in the entire tier of BH (knock off no prizes for guessing) BUT if you take the care to protect it from such threats it is a pretty hard hitting and solid mon. I personally have been waiting for a psyshic/ghost in terms of offensive prowess for a long time because of psystrike stab and judgment immunity, therefore I came up with this set:

Hoopa @ Spooky Plate
252HP/0-ATK/252 SpA/ 252 SpD/ 252 Spe
Ivs: 0 for attack
Psystrike
Tail Glow
Copycat
Judgment

This gets around his abysmal speed (Seriously, blastoise beats it in a race) by using the advantage of a slow judgment to hit twice after a +3. It is chansey proof since x4 Judgment ohkos at +3 and if you already have a judgment going, you can copycat it before the opponent psystrikes you. You can revenge gengar that has just killed one of your mons with a copycat of judgment which they are very likely not gonna expect. Oh and ohkos to both mewtwos unboosted from judgment is cool too. Psystrike is a great hitting move in virtually any situation. Copycat is a similarly versatile move that helps in copying a Heal Order, or a Draco from a dragon mon and much more.

Having said that... Pursuit.

lol.
Also, idk, dark types and priority. I really don't see the appeal over mega gar or even chandelure

Last edited:
Having thought about it some more, I think "dual ability clause" would be better. Aka allow two instances of whatever ability on the team rather than just one. This would solve the problem of preventing teams from abusing a single ability, not hurt very many competitive teams, and it would still allow for stuff like Regenerator cores that are possible in virtually every other meta, standard or otherwise. I would ideally couple this with a standard species clause to prevent stuff like double Refrige Kyu-Bs for the same reasons double Gale Wings Talonflames and whathaveyou are bad for a meta, but that's not entirely necessary. (Aka you could run Refrige Kyu-B and Refrige Manetric, but not Kyu-B and Kyu-B or Manetric and Manetric).

On the downside, it would be a little harder to explain to newer players than just a plain ability clause and it would hurt a few interesting gimmick teams. Though generally, 3+ of the same ability on any team is usually either abusing an ability or is a silly gimmick team, so it's not a big deal.

So my preferences in terms of the available options, in order for how much I'd support them...

1) Dual ability clause + species clause
2) Dual ability clause + no species clause
3) Plain ability clause with or without species clause
10) Do nothing

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Okay there are a lot of personal attacks and terrible arguments being thrown around, so I've deleted every post about the proposed Ability Clause except Keep it Playful's initial proposal. If you would like your post undeleted, contact me (preferably via VM, I have a bunch of private messages to sort through right now 9.9). If you would like to post again, keep the following things in mind:

- How your team fares with or without Ability Clause is entirely irrelevant - this is a discussion about what is good for the metagame, not what's good for you
- If you want to discuss Ability Clause, please make a decent post on it - "that's ridiculous" is hardly an argument
- Stop getting so god damn mad at each other

Tagging verbatim in this post as he runs this town

EDIT @ 2:40 PM EST: Rumors's posts undeleted by request

Last edited:
One thing I really do like about said clause is that it brings a lot of diversity to the meta rather then seeing phers on every team usually more then one and cube after cube is really annoying so I completely favor Keep it Playful 's proposal.

I have a proposal for an "Ability Clause" in Balanced Hackmons. I understand that bans and clauses are put into effect based on how broken or centralizing things are and I believe that this clause will make the meta more balanced, along with less centralization on some of the stronger abilites. This will make teams less reliant on countering these 'hit or miss' strategies and allow them to focus more on preparing for competitive teams.

I have been playing Balanced Hackmons consistently for about one year now and have seen Huge/Pure Power un-bannned at the beginning of X and Y followed by Huge/Pure Power being rebanned after it was again deemed broken. The only other ban I've been involved with, which is the latest ban, is the ability Parental Bond. For this example of what an Ability Clause can do, I'm going to start off talking about what it could have done for the meta when Huge/Pure Power was running wild.

Example (Slaking Huge/Pure Power)

A match against a skilled player named Arkeis and myself on an alt. We both had teams with Huge/Pure Power Pokemon and counter(s). My team was composed of five (5/6 of the team) Huge/Pure Power Slakings, each with a Lum Berry and each with the exact same moveset: ExtremeSpeed, Sacred Fire, Infestation and Dragon Claw. Clearly Imposters are an issue for this, hence the Flash Fire Aegislash. I was able to win most of my matches with this team and it took me around one minute to make.

Now let's imagine that an Ability Clause was implemented while I was breaking the ladder with five Slakings. This would have restricted me to a single Slaking, which could be dealt with much easier. Arkeis' Giratina alone could have managed without much trouble, the use of Gastro Acid was highly effective, even after it got burned from Sacred Fire. Another set that could work possibly better would be a Poison Heal Giratina with King's Shield or a Fur Coat Pokemon, to even out the offense and defense boost. What I'm getting at is that a ban may have not been deemed worthy if an Ability Clause were put into effect.

I believe there are more abilities similar to Huge/Pure Power in the current meta, not as much ladder breaking but still very strong. What I mean by this is, abilities that a player can put onto two or more Pokemon and achieve a fairly high elo on the ladder (1300+). Four abilities stand out in the meta right now that fit this criteria: Contrary, Imposter, Poison Heal, and Refrigerate.

Contrary

One Reshiram with V-Create, Draco-Meteor, Psycho Boost and Leaf Storm can be difficult to stop. If Stealth Rock or Spikes is set up, this monster can blow through one of it's possible counters, Sturdy Shedinja. Unaware, Imposter and Prankster (Destiny Bond and Heart Swap/Haze) are the most effective ways at stopping them, but can they handle a team with three Contrary Pokemon, each with different sets, coverage and other moves? Often times teams will be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of force these Pokemon exert. Lately I've been testing out a team with 3 Contrary Pokemon with anti-Shedinja coverage and it's proven to be highly effective.

Imposter

The pink blob, Chansey/Blissey that holds the meta together, can stop many boosting threats that aren't specifically designed to stop it. One Chansey is difficult enough to wear down, but two or more without the proper counter can out-stall and drain PP from teams without even having to attack. In addition, as previously mentioned in a post above this, Blissey with a Toxic Orb can stop most Poison Healers, as often their anti-imposterness is the lack of status on the Imposter. A certain player by the name of Kl4ng reached 1500+ elo on the ladder using 4 Imposters! 2 Chanseys, each with Eviolite and 2 Blisseys, one with a Toxic Orb and one with a Spooky Plate. He is a skilled player but his team took all of 30 seconds to build 2/3's of it.

Poison Heal

What started out as a Regigigas trend quickly grew to one or more Poison Healers on a single team. The reason is simple, because not only is it anti-imposter most of the time (except Toxic Orb Bliss), the sheer setup and sweep power is nearly unrivaled because no status can be afflicted on them, with only abilities like Gastro Acid/Simple/Worry Seed/Entrainment/Skill Swap to make the Poison Hurt them. Strategies like Lum Berry + Trick are amazing for stopping Poison Heal, but are nearly ineffective if the other player has more than one Poison Heal Pokemon. Rumors, a skilled player, (and Kl4ng I think lol) used a team in Gen V that had all 6 Poison Heal Pokemon and they both made it high on the ladder.

Refrigerate

Kyurem has more unboosted sweeping power than most of the Pokemon in the meta. Both forms, Kyu-B with Fake Out + ExtremeSpeed and Kyu-W with Boomburst, are devastating forces to be reckoned with. Scaring away Lugia, Rayquaza and keeping Giratina on the run. Aerilate and Pixilate also get a mention here, while not as devastating, they still can have similar effects. I mostly mention this with the other three abilities because on final two matches to reach the top of the ladder, I used a team that had 2 Refrigerate and 1 Pixilate and barely won both matches against one of the top players.

In conclusion, I believe that if an Ability Clause were to happen, it would encourage more creative teams, more balanced teams and more competitive teams. I've talked with E4 Flint about this and he supports an Ability Clause and I'm sure many other players would as well. Here's to a better year in Balanced Hackmons, the GMOAT (Greatest Meta of All Time)! ^_^

I feel that a clause for 3 of the same abilities will not compromise balance and will still prevent the use of inconsistent methods of winning (such as contrary spam, which often depends on speed ties against Imposter) and quadruple PH, it's often stupidly difficult to stop and ruins creativity.

Dual PH cores are necessary for stall and offense alike, it is one of the best methods of defeating some vicious sweepers that abuse sleep.

All in all, in my opinion, I think that the meta will not be so balanced without Poison Heal cores around. Insomnia is pretty bad, Magic Guard isn't so great right now, all we have is Poison Heal, Magic Bounce and with some level of prediction, prankster to wall sweepers + sleep reliably.

Last edited:
I... disagree with the idea of instituting a clause specifically for BH that has no equivalent in any mainstream tier that limits teambuilding so much. There are so many legitimate strategies on both sides of the board that involve multiple pokemon using the same ability that it's not even funny, and the problem of terrible players using six of the same ability is only going to make them use six different, equally terrible sets. This may or may not be as counterable, but in my opinion the completely random option is the worse, especially when you start finding some of the really odd sets that the new players can cook up.

Balanced Hackmons is mostly about the freedom to run whatever you want with a few very specific exceptions. Removing this freedom feels... wrong, somehow.

That's just me though.

I... disagree with the idea of instituting a clause specifically for BH that has no equivalent in any mainstream tier that limits teambuilding so much.
No equivalent? What about species clause? That's pretty much a soft ability clause in other tiers due to a combination of limited distribution of many abilities and many users not being viable (NFE or just plain suck). For example, double Drizzle is only possible in Ubers, can't run more than two Sandtreams unless you start digging into NFEs, there's only three bouncers without dipping into NFEs, two without dipping into megalutions, and so forth.

I feel that the precedent is there, albeit in a bit of a different form. And I don't think a single or dual ability-clause will limit creativity. If anything, allowing people to spam up to six identical cookie cutter sets is more limiting because they are not required to come up with alternatives. As weird as it sounds, this is one of those situations that limiting options to a degree would increase the number of "interesting decisions" to be made.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
On another note...

This is all theorymon, but this is the closest I've gotten to an imposter proof contrary.

Giratina-O @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Contrary
- Overheat
- Judgment
- Infestation
- V-Create/Secret Sword

On another note...

This is all theorymon, but this is the closest I've gotten to an imposter proof contrary.

- Overheat
- Judgment
- Infestation
- V-Create/Secret Sword
This is an imposter-proof contrary I ran for a bit, though I've heard that Genesect isn't actually any good in BH... could probably stand to fit Infestation somewhere to take out Sturdinjas.

Disco Buge (Genesect) @ Burn Drive
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Techno Blast
- Leaf Storm
- Draco Meteor
- Psycho Boost

I'm also working on a Mawile set based off the Gardevoir above, but don't have time tonight to test the latest tweaks, so I'll report back on that tomorrow.

I once ran a similiar set with Rayguaza;
V-Create
LeafStorm
*something*
Technoblast with chill drive.

Technoblast is one hell of a good judgement replacer for anti imposter shenigans. Seriously underrated.

Techno Blast is actually somewhat worse than Judgment. Both hit equally hard with their respective items since Plates give a 20% boost, but without an item Techno Blast will hit for 120 BP compared to Judgment's 100. This becomes meaningful when it's an Imposter's strongest move for hitting you back like in the Rayquaza set above, and lets them revenge you slightly more easily. Of course if you lose your item with Judgment you have to deal with the lowered base power, but the set is practically worthless without its item anyway. Judgment also has 16 PP while Techno Blast has only 8. So whenever you consider the chances any opponent using an Icicle/Zap/Splash/Flame Plate Imposter irrelevant (which should be basically always for laddering at least, considering February's moveset statistics show them being less common on Blissey than Quick Claw or nothing), Judgment is the better choice.

Last edited:
I really like that set I tried no guard genesect but then I realize I was mowed over by chansey and impostors in general. But yeah techno blast seems cool.

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
This notion for ability clause is legit one of the most interesting suggestions ive ever heard for this tier, i'll have to sleep on it or something to get a good opinion on it, but initial reaction is DO IT OH PLEASE ALMIGHTY DOG DO IT

Main reason is simply diversifying the meta, I don't think it will have as big an impact as some people are suggesting, but it will mostly get rid of those full yolo 6 refrig kyube teams that really do nothing except

a) piss new players off limiting growth of the tier

and

b) getting a lucky crit vs a decent player and winning... which is arguably fair its mostly point a but cmon...

On another note...

- Overheat
- Judgment
- Infestation
- V-Create/Secret Sword

This is the true problem...imposters can be stoped..but Giritina is a pain almost no matter what set it runs

Okay, since we literally know everything about Diamond Storm and Light of Ruin shouldn't those be implemented on PS? I'd personally like to give Light of Ruin a shot on something like Magic Guard Xerneas.
Just had a guy fail to Light of Ruin me out of a game so I guess it's not the ultimate weapon after all.

Probably means Diamond Storm is coded too.

EDIT: Volcanion, Hoopa, Diancie, and the Lati@s-M formes are now searchable through the teambuilder. Floette-AZ is not searchable or useable (unless it just doesn't have a picture).

Diamond Storm and Light of Ruin are both coded. Hyperspace Hole and Steam Eruption are not.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)