Ladder Balanced Hackmons

The set hits really hard, but has one main flaw. You can likely take out Shed, which is nice, but you have no way of dealing with Imposters. It doesn't help that you're also completely walled by Flash Fire Aegislash, by Mega Scizor if you use Mach Punch, and by Giratina if you use Diamond Storm.
Sure she does, you just said the set was walled by Flash Fire Aegislash.

Last edited:
Uselesscrab said:
The set hits really hard, but has one main flaw. You can likely take out Shed, which is nice, but you have no way of dealing with Imposters.
Uselesscrab said:
She didn't mention having one though, so I assumed she didn't.
That's the main problem, yeah. I usually run some sort of Aerilate Fake Out/ESpeed alongside this guy, but FF Aegislash would probably be better. Thanks for the help!

Glancing through my older experimental teams, I found a few gems I came up with amongst the failures that haven't found a home on my teams, usually due to type synergy or not matching the strategies employed by my current, normal teams. So, I'll dump em here since I feel like sharing.

Ho-Oh @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unaware
Nature: Adamant, Jolly, or Careful
- Sacred Fire
- Acrobatics
- Coil
- Roost

Taking advantage of Ho-Oh's impressive special defense, this set makes for a pretty nifty Unaware sweeper that's also Imposter resistant. Unaware, combined with Coil and the Sitrus Berry, means it can set-up in the face of many threats, including the typical Gyarados-Mega sets that would otherwise scare Ho-Oh away. Once set-up, and Ho-Oh's Sitrus Berry is consumed or Knocked Off, it has two powerful STABS, once of which kills Sheddy and the other with which Chansey won't be able to inflict much damage with due to its reliance on non-consumable items.

Needless to say, hazard removal support is necessary here since rocks really hurt non-MG Ho-Oh.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Any defensive nature
-Knock Off/Sleep Talk
-Entrainment
-Rest
-Support or escape move of choice

Registeel can be substituted with whatever defensive, bulky thing that synergizes better with your team. The main thing is the set: with Knock Off and Entrainment, Registeel can remove a status from Poison Heal, Magic Guard, Guts, Quick Feet, and Flare Boost users and then forcibly cure their status since none of them want to stay in with their ability nullified. This is crippling to the majority of those sets since they rely on the status protection their orb provides along with whatever other perks their ability gives. Though if you have plenty of Knock Off or Trick Support elsewhere, then the next suggested move is Sleep Talk so the mon can better abuse Rest and continue to offer support in the face of sleep spam.

Xerneas @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Timid
-Moonblast
-Blue Flare
-Thunderbolt
-Recover

While it doesn't have the single shot destructive power of a Pixelate Boomburst, Sheer Force Xern is still quite terrifying and also has much nastier damage potential with its coverage moves. With both the LO and Sheer Force boost, this set is quite difficult to switch into. The LO also ensures Xern is able to hit opposing Imposters for roughly equal damage, proportionally speaking.

Fire/Fairy offers excellent coverage while Thunderbolt is there not only to have a weapon against Flashfire Steel types, but also to hit AV Regen Kyogre and PH Zard-Y hard. You can adjust your coverage as needed to hit things your teammates can't or to allow one of your teammates to wall an Imposter who snagged this build. For example, you can swap Thunderbolt for Earth Power and run Flashfire Skarmory to respond to Imposters.

Phys Sheer Force Xern is also potentially possible, though Play Rough is inferior to Moonblast.

Kyurem-B @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
Nature: Jolly
-Facade
-Bolt Strike
-Psycho Shift
-Heal Order

When someone said they'd be surprised if they saw a status-orb using set that didn't utilize Poison Heal or Magic Guard and was also effective came along, I decided to take that challenge. While Quick Feet Skymin was the first I invented, this one came along a little later. Under the power of the poisoned status, Facade's power is terrifying, coming out to roughly an effective BP of 231. There's very little that can stomach that sort of hit.

The Toxic status is problematic for staying power, hence the combination of Psycho Shift and Softboiled. This also has the added benefit of allowing Kyu-B to rid itself of paralysis and burns it accidentally switches into while being able to pass on Toxic to the few walls that can take its hits. You have to be wary of Knock Off and Trick, however, lest you accidentally clear your own status.

Although I didn't try it at the time, you theoretically could swap Bolt Strike out for Boomburst or a boosting move and switch the Toxic Orb for a Flame Orb. If using Boomburst, you may also want to consider switching to a different nature. And in either case, with a Flame Orb, you may consider dropping Psycho Shift in favor of another move, such as a status that doesn't clear your own.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
well, time to post another set of mine i've used in my prime:

Shedinja @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SAtk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SDef / 0 Spd
- Recycle
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Night Shade

Ahh, i can hear your criticisms pouring through the screen right now. like... "GRAHH?!!?! shedinja dies to hazardz n00b!!" and "where da hell is endevur yu d0mbazz" well. let me explain myself. meet the passive agressive shedinja. the member you DON'T rely on to be your sponge taker, or a stop to your sets, or endevoir everything. no, this thing, is literally...deadweight. deadweight that can live random hits and turn your other pokemon into sweeping monsters >:D

now for the boring stuff...recycle lets you abuse lum berry so status doesnt mess sheddy over, shell smashing is for boosting in order to get another pokemon in to sweep. baton pass is to pass the boosts and also to scout...and night shade is consistant damage that doesnt make physical contact. no offense to people who use shed the other way, but i hate the way people use shedinja. its just "ENDEAVOR EVERYTHING" and quite honestly, i've NEVER fallen for a shedinja's shenanigans, and i bet any other good player hasn't either. but this set, is helpful for setting up your pokemon, thus keeping itself on the feild, rather then dieing to sacred fires...or hitting a unfortunate rocky helmet, or facing an opposing ghost type. this pokemon, gives offensive and defensive momentum. Okay...i hate to be "that guy" but i feel like i need to help people on how to use shedinja properly, because alot of players are saying shedinja sucks...when really its one of the most amazing pokemon ever! for bh at least.

HOW TO USE: (feel free to ignore, i just want to help shedinja rule the bh world. muahaha)
first, DONT MAKE YOUR SHEDINJA A COUNTER TO YOUR TEAM. SO MANY PEOPLE MAKE THIS MISTAKE AND IT ENDS UP DESTROYING THEM. seriously...shedinja should NEVER be your "wall" because it is the EASIEST pokemon to take out, given your opponent has said utility. second: NEVER ATTACK HEAD ON. always baton pass...you never know when mold breaker mega gengar will pop out and fuck up your day. third, people wont send in mold breakers directly into shedinja, so dont let your guard down...they will make you feel safe, and send them in RIGHT when you feel its safe to go into shedinja and fuck up your momentum COMPLETELY...now...here comes the important part...with great power, comes great responsibility, this shedinja(along with every other shedinja out there) needs you to give it the care it deserves. and by that, i mean you need to a) keep hazards off the feild, that means if you need 2 or more defoggers on your team, then you better damn well have 2 or more...and b) make sure your opponent doesn't have a mold breaker with pursuit on their team. both of these HAVE gotten me, and costed me many games, i know im making myself sound like some huge badass shedinja master, trust me, i'm not, but i have thought of a way you can try to get around mold breaker barring becoming the master of prediction. first is illusion... i can hear you all screaming "GET OFF THE STAGE, ILLUSION SLAKING SUCKS SO BADLY. AND NOW YOU DO TOO" hold on there! i'm not talking about some lame ass belly drum slaking, im talking something like yveltal. whom checks the #1 mold breaker: gengar. now, im just theorymonning, but still, illusions cant be impostered, so its technically a pseudo imposter proof set in itself so it fits with shedinja nicely. probably give it knock off...sucker punch...shell smash....and probably oblivion wing...idk...im not telling you how to make sets, but remember, send it in AFTER you revealed shedinja(and directly baton passed...NEVER boost first turn on a set you don't know enless your willing to risk it having infest) at least once to catch them off guard. allrighty, you finally know this guys offensive pokemon cant touch your shedinja...and your in against it...now you smash...and pass...and scare the shit out of your opponent as YOUR mold breaker pokemon rips apart your opponents teams to shreds. OR you do whatever else your shedinja does.

enjoy your new-found shedinja powers and be safe! :]

Glancing through my older experimental teams, I found a few gems I came up with amongst the failures that haven't found a home on my teams, usually due to type synergy or not matching the strategies employed by my current, normal teams. So, I'll dump em here since I feel like sharing.

Ho-Oh @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unaware
Nature: Adamant, Jolly, or Careful
- Sacred Fire
- Acrobatics
- Coil
- Roost

Taking advantage of Ho-Oh's impressive special defense, this set makes for a pretty nifty Unaware sweeper that's also Imposter resistant. Unaware, combined with Coil and the Sitrus Berry, means it can set-up in the face of many threats, including the typical Gyarados-Mega sets that would otherwise scare Ho-Oh away. Once set-up, and Ho-Oh's Sitrus Berry is consumed or Knocked Off, it has two powerful STABS, once of which kills Sheddy and the other with which Chansey won't be able to inflict much damage with due to its reliance on non-consumable items.

Needless to say, hazard removal support is necessary here since rocks really hurt non-MG Ho-Oh.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Any defensive nature
-Knock Off/Sleep Talk
-Entrainment
-Rest
-Support or escape move of choice

Registeel can be substituted with whatever defensive, bulky thing that synergizes better with your team. The main thing is the set: with Knock Off and Entrainment, Registeel can remove a status from Poison Heal, Magic Guard, Guts, Quick Feet, and Flare Boost users and then forcibly cure their status since none of them want to stay in with their ability nullified. This is crippling to the majority of those sets since they rely on the status protection their orb provides along with whatever other perks their ability gives. Though if you have plenty of Knock Off or Trick Support elsewhere, then the next suggested move is Sleep Talk so the mon can better abuse Rest and continue to offer support in the face of sleep spam.

Xerneas @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Timid
-Moonblast
-Blue Flare
-Thunderbolt
-Recover

While it doesn't have the single shot destructive power of a Pixelate Boomburst, Sheer Force Xern is still quite terrifying and also has much nastier damage potential with its coverage moves. With both the LO and Sheer Force boost, this set is quite difficult to switch into. The LO also ensures Xern is able to hit opposing Imposters for roughly equal damage, proportionally speaking.

Fire/Fairy offers excellent coverage while Thunderbolt is there not only to have a weapon against Flashfire Steel types, but also to hit AV Regen Kyogre and PH Zard-Y hard. You can adjust your coverage as needed to hit things your teammates can't or to allow one of your teammates to wall an Imposter who snagged this build. For example, you can swap Thunderbolt for Earth Power and run Flashfire Skarmory to respond to Imposters.

Phys Sheer Force Xern is also potentially possible, though Play Rough is inferior to Moonblast.

Kyurem-B @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
Nature: Jolly
-Facade
-Bolt Strike
-Psycho Shift
-Heal Order

When someone said they'd be surprised if they saw a status-orb using set that didn't utilize Poison Heal or Magic Guard and was also effective came along, I decided to take that challenge. While Quick Feet Skymin was the first I invented, this one came along a little later. Under the power of the poisoned status, Facade's power is terrifying, coming out to roughly an effective BP of 231. There's very little that can stomach that sort of hit.

The Toxic status is problematic for staying power, hence the combination of Psycho Shift and Softboiled. This also has the added benefit of allowing Kyu-B to rid itself of paralysis and burns it accidentally switches into while being able to pass on Toxic to the few walls that can take its hits. You have to be wary of Knock Off and Trick, however, lest you accidentally clear your own status.

Although I didn't try it at the time, you theoretically could swap Bolt Strike out for Boomburst or a boosting move and switch the Toxic Orb for a Flame Orb. If using Boomburst, you may also want to consider switching to a different nature. And in either case, with a Flame Orb, you may consider dropping Psycho Shift in favor of another move, such as a status that doesn't clear your own.
Nice and creative sets! But wouldn't be better Bolt Strike instead of Thunderbolt on Xerneas?

It's a PP/Acc vs Power argument. And although I suggested Timid, if you're running Modest the damage between the two will be fairly small (Bolt Strike inflicts 3% more damage to neutral nature Aegilash-Shield with Modest and both are a guaranteed 3HKO), so Thunderbolt is probably superior with Modest despite the small damage drop.

well, time to post another set of mine i've used in my prime:

Shedinja @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SAtk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SDef / 0 Spd
- Recycle
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Night Shade
Why would you put Brave on this Shedinja? It doesn't attack and the speed drop will reduce its survivability. Other than that, I'd replace Night Shade with a Shield move or Magic Coat, since Taunt and Leech Seed will screw you over pretty quickly. Other than that, it seems a decent set overall.

It's a PP/Acc vs Power argument. And although I suggested Timid, if you're running Modest the damage between the two will be fairly small (Bolt Strike inflicts 3% more damage to neutral nature Aegilash-Shield with Modest and both are a guaranteed 3HKO), so Thunderbolt is probably superior with Modest despite the small damage drop.
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Kyogre: 229-270 (56.6 - 66.8%)
252- Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre: 367-432 (90.8 - 106.9%)

I think this is important enough to consider Bolt Strike on Sheer Force Xerneas.

Look at another "safe switch-in" to Xerneas:
252- Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Bolt Strike vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Darmanitan-Z: 165-195 (39.9 - 47.2%)
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Darmanitan-Z: 86-101 (20.8 - 24.4%)

And this is with Modest nature.

Why would you put Brave on this Shedinja? It doesn't attack and the speed drop will reduce its survivability. Other than that, I'd replace Night Shade with a Shield move or Magic Coat, since Taunt and Leech Seed will screw you over pretty quickly. Other than that, it seems a decent set overall.
Well, i can't answer for him, but i guess the Speed drops works for a slower Baton Pass/Scout, in the same way it is good for scouting with U-Turn.

About +Atk i really don't have a idea why, but it isn't like a positive nature would make any difference in any other stat lol

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Kyogre: 229-270 (56.6 - 66.8%)
252- Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre: 367-432 (90.8 - 106.9%)

I think this is important enough to consider Bolt Strike on Sheer Force Xerneas.

Look at another "safe switch-in" to Xerneas:
252- Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Bolt Strike vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Darmanitan-Z: 165-195 (39.9 - 47.2%)
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Darmanitan-Z: 86-101 (20.8 - 24.4%)

And this is with Modest nature.

Fair point, but you also need to look at walls who are lopsided in the other direction.

252- SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Flashfire Mega Aggron: 136-161 (39.5 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Flashfire Mega Aggron: 112-133 (32.5 - 38.6%) -- 98.1% chance to 3HKO

Adamant against a FF user, so Blue Flare wouldn't work here.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Flashfire Mega Scizor: 133-156 (38.6 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Xerneas Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Flashfire Mega Scizor: 151-178 (43.8 - 51.7%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO

Neutral nature against another FF user. In this instance, the 15% chance to miss and reduced PP isn't worth the 10% chance for a 2HKO, which wouldn't happen regardless if Scizor is a physically defensive nature or Xern is using Modest/Timid.

Again, depends on your team's needs. It's not a clear cut "X is strictly better than Y in all non-niche situations". If you feel Bolt Strike would suit your needs better, use Bolt Strike. If Thunderbolt suits 'em better, use Thunderbolt. If you'd rather have Thunder's power and don't care about the acc, use Thunder. If your team needs, say, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Earth Power, or another move more, then use that over Thunderbolt/Bolt Strike.

Edit: The same argument could be made about my choice of Blue Flare vs. Searing Shot, Flame Thrower, or Lava Plume. Though

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
to be honest, i intended night shade to be a "last stand" move, but it ended up being filler, so i do suggest using something else over it, i can understand wanting to use utility, and at first you would think shield moves and magic coat would be a smart idea, when in all seriousness, that just helps your opponent outplay you. in this case, having less options means you have less choices for you and your opponent to make, say, if you had no attacking move, and they predict your magic coat, its a free switch for them into their pursuit user,when you could've used baton pass destroying your momentum in the process, they go for infestation on your magic coat, or even go into a mold breaker to setup on your face completely fucking over your shedinja and your momentum completely. as for my evs and stuff, everyone kind of said the gist of my reasoning, but there's some other reasons. at minimum speed, shedinja out slows ALOT of the tier, even at +2 speed, so it can safely pass its boosts on pokemon who would like to remain healthy.id like to say "adrian got my reasoning 100%" but in reality, i ran adamant due to habit, since the older version of this had smashpass with endeavor and ice shard (more risky to use, but also can put in decent work itself) but there's really nowhere else it CAN go other then spc. attack, which also has no point in investing

what im trying to say, is shedinja shouldn't face too many burdens on your team, if sheddys allergic to seeds...or frightened by a taunting glare...its not shedinjas fault...it just means sheds teammates have to work extra hard to make sure those seeds don't touch him, or those evil glares can be taken by some more offensive enclined teammates.

I can't believe that they allow such an uncompetitive strategy as an endless battle here... so:

Aggron-Mega @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spider Web
- Heal Pulse
- Heal Order
- Heal Bell/Substitute

Shuckle can also use this set: Aggron has more HP, but is terrible against special attackers, while Shuckle has low HP but works against both types of attackers.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
I can't believe that they allow such an uncompetitive strategy as an endless battle here... so:

Bold Nature
- Spider Web
- Heal Pulse
- Heal Order
- Heal Bell/Substitute

Shuckle can also use this set: Aggron has more HP, but is terrible against special attackers, while Shuckle has low HP but works against both types of attackers.
The thing is, with switching moves and ghost types throughout the tier, the strategy has a hard time working. Not only that, sets without magic bounce lose to taunt, and sets without unaware lose to set-up. All sets lose to knock off/trick as well unless you have sticky hold; said move is quite common as coverage. All-in-all, it can work, but in this metagame it's quite hard to make it work.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior

Bold Nature
- Spider Web
- Heal Pulse
- Heal Order
- Heal Bell/Substitute

to be honest, this abominations problem, is once your opponent knows who you are, and what this set is...they wont fall for it again. remember, we aren't computer players, we will remember you, and we won't make the same mistake twice...at least not often. and in all seriousness, id rather not use endless battle stuff, because then you have an entire teir of people who dislike you, and all for a troll set that barely works twice if at all. on top of that, this set is countered by ghost, knock off, entrain, magic bounce...special attackers, physical attackers with boosting moves, and all wallish pokemon usually have phasing/switching moves. for trolling purposes this set works nicely to get a "get a life" reaction from people. but as for an actual laddering perspective. its nothing more then a one trick pony that people can easily outmaneuver once they know what it is.

and remember. all the top players are mostly connected. we all talk to each other. and we will all hunt you down and counter team you HORRIBLY >:) so have fun infinite stalling! :] nah, we wont actually do that. but seriously. were open to changing our minds. ;)

speaking of, man i've dropped down the ladder after being away for 2 months. .-. but im scared to ladder because ive been suffering from "Facing flint syndrome"

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
to be honest, this abominations problem, is once your opponent knows who you are, and what this set is...they wont fall for it again. remember, we aren't computer players, we will remember you, and we won't make the same mistake twice...at least not often. and in all seriousness, id rather not use endless battle stuff, because then you have an entire teir of people who dislike you, and all for a troll set that barely works twice if at all.

speaking of, man i've dropped down the ladder after being away for 2 months. .-. but im scared to ladder because ive been suffering from "Facing flint syndrome"
gtfo and cry% would like to have a word with you RIP in Peace ;_;7

So, to use Chuun's comment as a segue, I will present you with a set that uses not only methods discussed earlier to trap and kill pokemon, but pp stalling to beat imposter. I present:
Groudon / Aggron Mega / Tyranitar Mega / Regirock / Scizor Mega @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Soundproof
Any Nature, doesn't matter.
- Thousand Waves
- Bolt Strike / Gear Grind / Spore / Other support move
- Perish Song
- Heal Order

Soundproof Perish-trap was a strategy discussed earlier for dealing with boomburst users, but the addition of thousand waves to the metagame makes it far more potent. This is due to the capability of the move to trap opponents indefinitely, which allows for much more interesting interactions. Primarily, it allows you to trap an imposter, and stall out it's PP until it struggles to death.It is also capable of beating near anything the chosen pokemon walls. The use of different pokemon to run this set is about team synergy - sometimes groudon will fit, and sometimes tyranitar. Scizor is the least effective choice, but has the niche of taking the least from it's own thousand waves - no stab, and no weakness. Groudon has the advantage of being able to block not only pokemon abusing parting shot, but volt switch as well, which makes it more difficult to trap. The rest are just team synergy, and what they wall. The use of safety goggles is not required, but highly recommended, as it allows the pokemon to beat the prankster archetype of parting shot / spore / heal order / filler, which is a very potent thing to be able to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)