Battle Maison Discussion & Records

^Ames, I just watched the video, and that looked like a painful loss indeed! An assortment of untimely crits and the like saved your opponent's hide.

That choice scarfed braviary is the worst; I find choice scarfed opponents to be some of the hardest to counter in the maison, personally. That's especially true for scarf manectric and staraptor as well. Pretty dangerous.

If there was one thing you didn't predict correctly, it was the initial focus blast that killed your excadrill. Electivire often carries that move. But it's so hard to know what the ai is going to do sometimes.

In any case that's an impressive doubles streak. Congrats. I think doubles is the hardest category, I haven't even broken 100 in it. Yet, anyway :)

^Ames, I just watched the video, and that looked like a painful loss indeed! An assortment of untimely crits and the like saved your opponent's hide.

That choice scarfed braviary is the worst; I find choice scarfed opponents to be some of the hardest to counter in the maison, personally. That's especially true for scarf manectric and staraptor as well. Pretty dangerous.

If there was one thing you didn't predict correctly, it was the initial focus blast that killed your excadrill. Electivire often carries that move. But it's so hard to know what the ai is going to do sometimes.

In any case that's an impressive doubles streak. Congrats. I think doubles is the hardest category, I haven't even broken 100 in it. Yet, anyway :)
Yeah the scarfed Manectric caught me off guard on more than one occasion, especially with overheat. But at least you can tell it is scarfed when it outspeeds your own scarfer and is then locked into a stat lowering move.

I knew that the Electivire might Focus Blast but I was kind of banking on surviving it (not sure if possible, I haven't done any calculations or anything) and thought I could easily KO both opponents before losing Excadrill. Managed to recover from that but those last few turns were just brutal.

Thanks very much though, glad you got some entertainment out of the vid haha :)

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was curious about this--because of the nature of the specific streak teams I've used, I often find that Manectric4 is the only Scarf wearer that I ever have problems with. Then again, Triples often lends itself to making Scarf wearers tolerable: make sure you have a spread move or two, more switch-in options available to nullify a specific Scarf (particularly if they're on the side), most are frail enough to be eaten alive by priority, etc. With that said, I figured I would open the forum to see how others rank them overall as threats. I know viability rankings would be the formal way to go about this, but I haven't been ingrained enough here yet to really have that mindset and utilize one of those confidently. So:
  1. Landorus2
  2. Garchomp3
  3. Terrakion2
  4. Typhlosion3
  5. Manectric4
  6. Entei3
  7. Braviary3
  8. Heatran4
  9. Machamp3
  10. Pinsir4
  11. Mr. Mime1
  12. Charizard3
  13. Rampardos3
  14. Aerodactyl1
  15. Skarmory3
  16. Torterra2
  17. Staraptor2
Does this look about right?

Some of those don't even appear after battle 40 - In particular, Machamp3, Mr.Mime1, Rampardos3, and Aerodactyl4.
And I'm so glad we don't see Aerodactyl4 after battle 40 .....he ended one streak of mine with 6 continuous flinch's in a doubles run ....I did ignore him a bit as he was (in theory!) A non threat to the team I was running but the consecutive flinch's killed me lol! ..also have had lax incense latias avoid me 5 times to end another streak....makes it funny when people hate on the maison because their 90% accuracy move misses twice in a row lol

I was playing after a long time the Super Doubles. Just to try something new, I was using a team of Raichu, Suicune, M-Charizard Y and Garchomp.
I won't post the complete set right now because they're pretty standard (and I've lost relatively early, at Battle 40):
- Raichu with Fake Out, Encore, Thunderbolt and Protect holding a Focus Sash;
- Suicune with Scald, Ice Beam, Tailwind and Protect holding a Sitrus Berry;
- M-Charizard Y with Heatwave, Overheat, Solar Beam and Protect;
- Garchomp with Earthquake, Rock Slide, Iron Head and Outrage holding a Choice Scarf.

They were not optimized for Battle Maison, so for example Garchomp Outrage will be changed for something else (Dragon Claw?) and I know that moves with imperfect accuracy in the long run will create some bad situation.

Everything was going fine until Battle 40, where the opponent had the infamous Double Team, Protect, Toxic, Moonlight Cresselia and I couldn't ko it and died to Toxic.

I really like using the combo Raichu/Suicune, Raichu can Fake Out while Suicune can get a Tailwind up or use an attacking move, and in the next turn if the opponent uses a non-damaging move, it will probably be locked by Encore, so the battle will practically become 2vs1. Raichu also pairs well with Suicune because of Lightning Rod (and it's funny to lock the opponent into some Electric move).

I noticed that Suicune doesn't get well with Charizard Y because of Drought (I can't spam Scald freely), and I'm really unsure about Garchomp, because it's the only one with with a supereffective move against Fairy but it's weak against them (it was on the team just because I also wanted a fast physical hitter and was sitting in the box ready for battle).

In conclusion, I really like Raichu/Suicune so I'd like to keep them, but I'd like some advices for the other two members (moveset tweaks to avoid unpleasant situations like that Cress or even swapping them for another Pokémon that fits better). There are some evident flaws on the team design or could I get some good results with it?

Lost another streak, this time at the much lower count of 44 thanks to Gigalith4 whom I did not kill before it could set up a few times (and had other shit to deal with.)

Beartic/Cresselia/M-Scizor/Vespiquen/Escavalier/Gourgeist VS Owner Galton's Lucario/Pinsir/Gigalith/Gardevoir/Espeon/Garchomp.

Ended with Escavalier and severely weakened Gourgeist against Garchomp by itself; I decided to try for some QC hax and actually did get the proc, but no Iron Head flinch, so Gourgeist was toast. Had Garchomp not finished it with Earthquake and dealt a fat chunk to Escavalier, I might have pulled out a win, but it was no avail. Like all shithead Garchomps it had Rough Skin when it mattered, so the extra damage did not help. In hindsight I should have brought Gourgeist or Escavalier in immediately who would have pulled better numbers than Beartic (unless risking Focus Punch.)

I did not face a single fire type to that point, even with a Veteran battle just beforehand, which was a little surprising.

I had yet to land my Sheer Force Rampardos on a team that could synergize with it and actually win ten battles, so getting to actually rampage with it for once was pretty fun. Already deleted the replays with the previous four teams in bitterness, so no chronicle, but no really new faces, either, apart from a Guts Flareon which I may or may not have already used a long time ago. Actually, this was Beartic's first foray and base 110 attack is more limited in what it can do for my liking, but those that fall under that find ways to get by. The low point was being unable to OHKO Chesnaught4 with Icicle Crash and eating Hammer Arm for the high roll needed to secure a KO in return. The high point was OHKOing Registeel with a crit Focus Punch after it'd Cursed and decided to take a Rest.

Last edited:

Smuckem

And I'm so glad we don't see Aerodactyl4 after battle 40 .....he ended one streak of mine with 6 continuous flinch's in a doubles run ....I did ignore him a bit as he was (in theory!) A non threat to the team I was running but the consecutive flinch's killed me lol! ..also have had lax incense latias avoid me 5 times to end another streak....makes it funny when people hate on the maison because their 90% accuracy move misses twice in a row lol
One nice thing about that whole range of 60-90% accuracy moves is that, as you spend more and more time in the Maison, the ratio of hax affecting you:affecting the opponent tends to reach a sort of equilibrium: you start to notice that the AI gets screwed almost as much as you. To take this example, I've had nine or ten instances off the top of my head where Aerodactyl1 Rock Slide missed someone on the team and converted that to a momentum shift in my favor. Who knows how many more instances I'm forgetting.

Some of those don't even appear after battle 40 - In particular, Machamp3, Mr.Mime1, Rampardos3, and Aerodactyl4.
So, let's add in frequency/rarity as a significant factor in ranking, possibly to the point that the pre-40 and post-40 Scarfers can be categorized into separate categories:

1. Manectric4
  2. Landorus2
  3. Terrakion2
  4. Entei3
  5. Darmanitan4
  6. Heatran4
  7. Pinsir4
  8. Braviary3
  9. Skarmory3
  10. Typhlosion3
  11. Charizard3
  12. Torterra2
  13. Garchomp3
  14. Staraptor2
------Gauntlet Cutoff Demarcation (GCD)------

15. Machamp3
16. Rampardos3
17. Aerodactyl1
18. Mr. Mime1

And yes, I had somehow forgotten Darmanitan4 in my initial ranking (despite me owning an Imperfect one).

EDIT: Reading this post for the second time, and I laughed re-watching the second vid: something that should theoretically be a problem for TR teams (because it can exploit it fairly easily) just proves to be completely ineffectual in that instance. It's just nuts and a testament to how much of a fortress (or is it Forretress?) that team was.

Last edited:
I'm doing some theorymon for triples at the moment and was hoping to get some feedback on the ideas. I have two main requirements 1. I like to use original pokemon/teams just because it's fun. 2. I like the battles to be won relatively quicklly.

I've ben messing around with a couple of ideas already and I'm just going to post the front lines of the teams as that's really where I'm at with them.

Team 1: OmaSTAR
Greninja (Mat Block/Grass Knot/Dark Pulse/Ice Beam) w/?
Omastar (Modest 252Sp.A/252Spe - Swift Swim) (Shell Smash/Muddy Water/Ice Beam/Ancient Power) w/Focus Sash
Talonflame (Tailwind/Brave Bird/Protect/Flare Blitz) w/?

So the concept is not that original. It is an obvious Greninja/X/Talonflame team with the original 'mon being Omastar. Taken from a PeterKO doubles team the subway thread: Shell Smash Omastar. After a shell smash a muddy water from Omastar will hit harder than a full power water spout from Blastoise (see -FG-'s huge streak with Blastoise).

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Omastar Muddy Water vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 330-390 (198.7 - 234.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 236-282 (142.1 - 169.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And it is significantly faster. It hits 214 Spe after a Shell Smash which outspeeds all but about 14 of the pokemon found in the maison. I could optimise the EV's to gain some HP but after a Def/Sp.D it seems pointless. I could also run it alongside a Politoed and be ridculously fast or just EV it to outspeed the maison after a shell smash.

The clear drawbacks here are the main spread move having a shaky accuracy and it needs a turn to set up so anything faster than Greninja's mat block is an issue. I got up to 66 wins relatively easy with it and will probably revive the team idea at some point

Team 2: Eruption Sun
Charizard (Heat Wave/Overheat/Solar beam/Protect) w/Charizardite Y
Shiftry - Chlorophyll - (Fake Out/Beat Up/Leaf Blade/Tailwind) w/Focus Sash
Typhlosion (Eruption/Flamethrower/Solar beam/Focus Blast) w/Choice scarf

This is pretty much a rip straight from Mechagodzilla's triples streak. I have had shiftry in the middle for disruption purposes. Shiftry also has leaf blade which does net a KO on Terrakion 62.5% of the time (a notable issue from Mechagodzilla's commentary). Beat-up is an egg move I'm not yet prepared to drop for Knock-off and has helped out. This team did the next 10 battles for me follwoing on from the triples streak. I'm uncertain of usable back-up players to this at the moment. Landorus-T seems sensible and isn't very common on the leaderboard but it still has the rock weakness.

Team 3: TerrCott variant
Shiftry (as above) - Adamant
Terrakion - Jolly - (Rock Slide/Close Combat/Earthquake/??) w/Choice Band
Ninetales (Heat Wave/Sunny Day/Solar beam/Protect)

I am astonished that there is only one beat-up team in the maison records. I would think that this could definitely be abused.I use Ninetales to make sure that Shiftry gets the chlorophyll boost turn 1 to beat up terrakion. I did originally have a scarf on Terrakion as I felt a +6 Terrakion that outsped the majority of the maison would be pretty special. Sadly I found out that +2 Adamant Shiftry and +1 Jolly Terrakion is a speed tie at 264 speed which is a bit of a bummer. I have a spare Terrakion that I could EV to hit 262 speed or get a jolly Shiftry. Or keep it as it is. Choice Band Terrakion is still pretty fast and hits so hard. Life Orb on Terrakion is another option.

Those are my ideas. The only team I have a solid idea for members 4-6 is the sun team where I would probably add a Ninetales to guarantee Sun/ Other than that I'm open to suggestions.

What do you think?

I'd personally love to see how successful a Beat Up oriented team could be, pidj. Chlorophyll Venusaur and Storm Drain Gastrodon come to mind as team mates for that threesome you have there.

Smuckem

Landorus-T seems sensible and isn't very common on the leaderboard but it still has the rock weakness

The clear drawbacks here are the main spread move having a shaky accuracy and it needs a turn to set up so anything faster than Greninja's mat block is an issue. I got up to 66 wins relatively easy with it and will probably revive the team idea at some point
- ???

- Who were the backups on the 66-win team? With that info, I could likely pinpoint the "sixth (wo)man" almost immediately and replace it with something (though I will warn you now, said replacement would probably be a Maison set, just to see if my "Grafting" concept could work outside my own teams).

- ???

- Who were the backups on the 66-win team? With that info, I could likely pinpoint the "sixth (wo)man" almost immediately and replace it with something (though I will warn you now, said replacement would probably be a Maison set, just to see if my "Grafting" concept could work outside my own teams).
1. Sorry, I should have elaborated further. Landorus-t seems a sensible choice because it offers spread moves, which is useful in triples. It also provides intimidate support which is good because the majority of moves that the first three are weak to predominantly physical attacks (rock slide, eq, fighting type moves in shifty's case). Landorus-t is only neutral to rock type moves, whereas a solid resistance would be beneficial due to existing weaknesses. I only saw landorus-t on a handful of teams on the leaderboard so it fits with my idea of using underused mons.

2. This is a rubbish answer but I only wish I could answer completely. It was a few months ago, I then moved on to multi and then life took over. Stupidly I didn't save any battle videos. I know the mega was either kangaskhan or salamence (physical build). I think I would have had storm drain gastrodon because it's a favourite of mine. It is possible that the last mon was a scizor or a yanmega due to grass resistance (and I do love me a yanmega - still want to get a doubles streak with it again, like the subway).

I hope that helps.

I'm doing some theorymon for triples at the moment and was hoping to get some feedback on the ideas. I have two main requirements 1. I like to use original pokemon/teams just because it's fun. 2. I like the battles to be won relatively quicklly.

I've ben messing around with a couple of ideas already and I'm just going to post the front lines of the teams as that's really where I'm at with them.

Team 1: OmaSTAR
Greninja (Mat Block/Grass Knot/Dark Pulse/Ice Beam) w/?
Omastar (Modest 252Sp.A/252Spe - Swift Swim) (Shell Smash/Muddy Water/Ice Beam/Ancient Power) w/Focus Sash
Talonflame (Tailwind/Brave Bird/Protect/Flare Blitz) w/?

So the concept is not that original. It is an obvious Greninja/X/Talonflame team with the original 'mon being Omastar. Taken from a PeterKO doubles team the subway thread: Shell Smash Omastar. After a shell smash a muddy water from Omastar will hit harder than a full power water spout from Blastoise (see -FG-'s huge streak with Blastoise).

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Omastar Muddy Water vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 330-390 (198.7 - 234.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 236-282 (142.1 - 169.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And it is significantly faster. It hits 214 Spe after a Shell Smash which outspeeds all but about 14 of the pokemon found in the maison. I could optimise the EV's to gain some HP but after a Def/Sp.D it seems pointless. I could also run it alongside a Politoed and be ridculously fast or just EV it to outspeed the maison after a shell smash.

Team 2: Eruption Sun
Charizard (Heat Wave/Overheat/Solar beam/Protect) w/Charizardite Y
Shiftry - Chlorophyll - (Fake Out/Beat Up/Leaf Blade/Tailwind) w/Focus Sash
Typhlosion (Eruption/Flamethrower/Solar beam/Focus Blast) w/Choice scarf

This is pretty much a rip straight from Mechagodzilla's triples streak. I have had shiftry in the middle for disruption purposes. Shiftry also has leaf blade which does net a KO on Terrakion 62.5% of the time (a notable issue from Mechagodzilla's commentary). Beat-up is an egg move I'm not yet prepared to drop for Knock-off and has helped out. This team did the next 10 battles for me follwoing on from the triples streak. I'm uncertain of usable back-up players to this at the moment. Landorus-T seems sensible and isn't very common on the leaderboard but it still has the rock weakness.

Team 3: TerrCott variant
Shiftry (as above) - Adamant
Terrakion - Jolly - (Rock Slide/Close Combat/Earthquake/??) w/Choice Band
Ninetales (Heat Wave/Sunny Day/Solar beam/Protect)

I am astonished that there is only one beat-up team in the maison records. I would think that this could definitely be abused.I use Ninetales to make sure that Shiftry gets the chlorophyll boost turn 1 to beat up terrakion. I did originally have a scarf on Terrakion as I felt a +6 Terrakion that outsped the majority of the maison would be pretty special. Sadly I found out that +2 Adamant Shiftry and +1 Jolly Terrakion is a speed tie at 264 speed which is a bit of a bummer. I have a spare Terrakion that I could EV to hit 262 speed or get a jolly Shiftry. Or keep it as it is. Choice Band Terrakion is still pretty fast and hits so hard. Life Orb on Terrakion is another option.

Those are my ideas. The only team I have a solid idea for members 4-6 is the sun team where I would probably add a Ninetales to guarantee Sun/ Other than that I'm open to suggestions.

What do you think?
Beat up is an egg move on cottonee (who has prankster) so you could protect terrakion by using a sash cottonee to beat up terrakion and then he'd act as bait for the rest of turn 1 ..u could then run greninja on the other side for mat block support... It u could also run other support moves like encore/toxic etc if he survives until turn 2 ..I even have a lvl 17 cottonee for the maison as I think cotton spore hits all opponents if I remember correct!
On another note Marowak and rhyperior both protect mat block greninja with lightning rod ability and aerodactyl would run out of rockslide PP before they even gave a shit for the damage it does to them and both of them are uncommon on the leaderboard (my current triples streak does have marowak in it though and when that streak ends it'll be somewhere on the board ...round the bottom probably! Lol)

I'd personally love to see how successful a Beat Up oriented team could be, pidj. Chlorophyll Venusaur and Storm Drain Gastrodon come to mind as team mates for that threesome you have there.
Sorry, forgot to reply to this. I use storm drain gastrodon quite a lot and it's definitely crossed my mind as a good option. I like the venusaur idea. I could slap a mega stone on it too to bolster it if the sun goes down

Beat up is an egg move on cottonee (who has prankster) so you could protect terrakion by using a sash cottonee to beat up terrakion and then he'd act as bait for the rest of turn 1 ..u could then run greninja on the other side for mat block support... It u could also run other support moves like encore/toxic etc if he survives until turn 2 ..I even have a lvl 17 cottonee for the maison as I think cotton spore hits all opponents if I remember correct!
On another note Marowak and rhyperior both protect mat block greninja with lightning rod ability and aerodactyl would run out of rockslide PP before they even gave a shit for the damage it does to them and both of them are uncommon on the leaderboard (my current triples streak does have marowak in it though and when that streak ends it'll be somewhere on the board ...round the bottom probably! Lol)
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting idea with the lightning rod mons. I have thought about us in cottonee/whimsicott or weavile. Are you thinking of using cottonee to bait attacks?

Sorry, forgot to reply to this. I use storm drain gastrodon quite a lot and it's definitely crossed my mind as a good option. I like the venusaur idea. I could slap a mega stone on it too to bolster it if the sun goes down

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting idea with the lightning rod mons. I have thought about us in cottonee/whimsicott or weavile. Are you thinking of using cottonee to bait attacks?
Sorry yes, the point of cottonee would be the same as other lvl 1 Aron-esq poke to bait attacks so with prankster he would almost always (baring being faked out) fulfill his roll of boosting terrakion then draw attacks away from him on the first turn..in most battles he'd unlikely last until turn 2, unless u use mat block greninja in which case u can then use a number of other support moves on your next turn or protect to keep the AI targetting him while terrakion destroys them. Or without greninja protection he dies then u get a free switch in ..possibly to ur intimidate poke to psuedo boost terras def

Smuckem

2. This is a rubbish answer but I only wish I could answer completely. It was a few months ago, I then moved on to multi and then life took over. Stupidly I didn't save any battle videos. I know the mega was either kangaskhan or salamence (physical build). I think I would have had storm drain gastrodon because it's a favourite of mine. It is possible that the last mon was a scizor or a yanmega due to grass resistance (and I do love me a yanmega - still want to get a doubles streak with it again, like the subway).

I hope that helps.
Actually, I like the idea of having a 4x grass resist on hand. I would actually take the potential M-Venusaur from your sun team idea and place it here, or maybe Ferrothorn. Either way, at least one bulky mon would be helpful here, particularly if Gastrodon ends up out of the team--the two I've mentioned would be able to switch for anyone on the frontline capably, so that you have a safety net of sorts at all times. Hell, any of the Flying Dragons would fit here, although that would eliminate the bulky mon as a good switch-in for Talonflame.

If I'm allowed a moment to be selfish--try to stick a copy of Haxorus3 or Druddigon3 in there *wink*

For this reason alone, you better surpass me on the leaderboard at some point...I hope Rangers haven't been giving your namesake too much grief so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A lot of movement on my front:

- Yesterday, I very spontaneously decided to step out of my comfort zone and try my hand at a couple of other modes. While my 22-win Super Rotations romp was fine, it was the
Super Singles run that was notable:

OwlShield (Aegislash) (Lvl. 52) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

WhatTheFuss (Kangaskhan) (F) (Lvl.50) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
IVs: 31/31/xx/31/31/31
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Crunch
- Double-Edge

Hirota (Sylveon) (Lvl.52) (F) Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 100 HP/252 SAtk/158 Spd
IVs: xx/31/31/31/31/31
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hyper Voice
- Swift
- Misty Terrain
- Yawn

The idea behind the team was to see how far I could get in Super Singles with solely defensive synergy in mind--you'll notice the limited offensive coverage. Bascially, Hirota leads to move around lead Intimidate, allowing OwlShield to come in on his weaknesses, and then to WhatTheFuss on Ghost attacks. Otherwise, Hirota does the usual Specs Sylveon thing. OwlShield had Swords Dance replaced with King's Shield.

Considering the team was assembled in three-four minutes, it was then pretty surprising when this happened:
Nita Battle: C4MG-WWWW-WW3S-LC4W
Because of Sylveon's great special bulk, Thundurus3 was the worst possible lead to start off against...so of course it happened...too bad the entire opposing team played right into my hands.

Some notes:
  • This was the first time I observed Blastoise2 using Mist
  • Tyrantrum4 popped up six or seven times. The dread others have felt in facing him was real, although with Aegislash around it was somewhat easier to work around him--only once did he really threaten the team, and that took a crit
  • Nidoking was the only mon who had multiple sets to scare me with. I found myself overthinking against Sets 2-4.
  • On a related note, though Air Balloon was just a holdover from my Triples 128-win streak, it ended up coming in handy--there were numerous occasions where STAB Ground coverage was the "best choice" for the opponent against Hirota, allowing for an easy OwlShield switch-in (Nidoking nowithstanding)
  • Toxicroak4 may be my favorite opponent in this format: against this specific team, it behaves the same way EVERY TIME, making it an automatic win when it's featured
  • The first twenty battles were shockingly easy--Sylveon, at Lvl.50 100 Speed, outran a surprisingly large number of things and dented a surprisingly large number of resists. Specs Hyper Voice is the truth, yo
So, I will ask this to those who would know: is Super Singles supposed to be this fun (and not work, as some of these obscenely long Singles posts would make it seem like)?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- To celebrate this trophy grab, I went and made a whole pile of Set 3 mons, with the intention of making my third serious "Maison vs. Maison" teambuilding attempt. Of course, PokeGen can only get you so far: there are numerous Set 3s that will still need to be made the old-fashioned way, and I welcome the challenge. Bolstered by my Singles trophy grab, this should include all formats used. Lots of mixing and matching coming in the near future...

- To get rolling on this on the Triples front, I had to throw the streak I had going with Aggron1/Dusknoir1/Leafeon1/Mamoswine1/Togekiss1/Claydol1 (Aggron had Focus Sash replaced with Lum Berry, so it was Imperfect), a play off of a Maid Beth battle I had during my Triples 80-win streak. Me being stubborn (and kinda curious), I refused to hit the Forfeit button and played it straight, figuring that this shitty team would fall eventually. The problem became, however, that this team refused to die, pushing through what should have been losses several times before finally falling to Espeon3/Drapion3/Flareon3/Crobat3/Weavile3/Seismitoad3. Now...tinker time!

- Between these two runs, I jumped back up from high-3700s to 4113 BP in a day, a nice cushion to have with this grand Set 3 experiment on the horizon

- I am now convinced that the Water/Ice Set 3 trainers are the most dangerous opponents to face in the First 40. I intend to get far enough in all formats while performing my Set 3 experiment to provide evidence of this

Last edited:
I was curious about this--because of the nature of the specific streak teams I've used, I often find that Manectric4 is the only Scarf wearer that I ever have problems with. Then again, Triples often lends itself to making Scarf wearers tolerable: make sure you have a spread move or two, more switch-in options available to nullify a specific Scarf (particularly if they're on the side), most are frail enough to be eaten alive by priority, etc. With that said, I figured I would open the forum to see how others rank them overall as threats. I know viability rankings would be the formal way to go about this, but I haven't been ingrained enough here yet to really have that mindset and utilize one of those confidently. So:
  1. Landorus2
  2. Garchomp3
  3. Terrakion2
  4. Typhlosion3
  5. Manectric4
  6. Entei3
  7. Braviary3
  8. Heatran4
  9. Machamp3
  10. Pinsir4
  11. Mr. Mime1
  12. Charizard3
  13. Rampardos3
  14. Aerodactyl1
  15. Skarmory3
  16. Torterra2
  17. Staraptor2
Does this look about right?
I don't understand how you can put the staraptor set dead last.
Maybe the pokemon I like running tend to be weak to fighting, but a lightning fast close combat coming from an above average attack stat can hit hard if you're not prepared. I learned from it, but the first time or two... Ouch.

I agree with Landorus's placement though. That thing is obnoxious and it similarly ended a streak of mine...against one of the chamberlains in fact.

So, I will ask this to those who would know: is Super Singles supposed to be this fun (and not work, as some of these obscenely long Singles posts would make it seem like)
If you're looking at the sets, Singles is certainly the easiest mode to clear 50 in if that's what you mean. That being said, your perception of how fun it is in this case would be based on something as little as not running into any moderately difficult Fire types (Heatran, Volcarona, Chandelure, Entei, Moltres, etc.) from battles 40-49. But yeah, in Singles you can throw a couple Ubers together and once you're done brute forcing your way through NUs with bad IVs you just have to win 10 or so to get the trophy.

Ironically, the "closest call" in my current streak did come pre-Chatelaine. Details are kinda hazy due to my state at the time of the battle and how long ago it was, but I somehow (pretty sure accidentally selecting Outrage against Gardevoir was involved) ended up in a situation where I was saved by Chandeulure missing Aegislash with Heat Wave.

Smuckem

I don't understand how you can put the staraptor set dead last.
Maybe the pokemon I like running tend to be weak to fighting, but a lightning fast close combat coming from an above average attack stat can hit hard if you're not prepared. I learned from it, but the first time or two... Ouch.
Well, I've never had the pleasure of facing it at full power: Puck/Jensen has only thrown Staraptor13 at me when I've run into him, which means I've only dealt with it during the First 40, which means I'm dealing with 'only' 149 Atk & 222 Spd when encountering it. My perception is also colored, of course, by only really playing Triples (I didn't run into it during my Singles or Rotations runs yesterday, and I've never gotten past the First 10 in the other formats). My reasoning with its placement is as follows:
  • No STAB to take maximum advantage of its power (or potential Reckless exploitation), unlike the rest of the Scarfers
  • Adamant, but no Atk investment, which screws the power behind Close Combat even more
  • Roost & Final Gambit are very clearly filler; I have never seen it use either of those moves, so it's exceedingly predictable
  • The lack of STAB for Close Combat means that it loses a surprising amount of punch; I've had bulky Normal-types and normally frail 'mons survive its shots
  • Its frailty means that even Intimidate can't save it from some physical 'mons (and Close Combat usage makes it counterproductive to have Intimidate in the first place), and unlike the three Scarfers above it, its typing does it no favors
On top of all that, my personal experiences with my successful teams (and a few of my unsuccessful teams) have meant that my leads normally have at least some answer to it right off the bat. A sampling:
  • A mix of my youngest brother's 'mons bred and raised for Singles competition
    (Azumarill/Volcarona/Cloyster/Garchomp/Greninja/Ferrothorn/Dragonite/M-Blaziken/M-Sableye/Excadrill), plus my own Imperfect Zapdos3
    : Pranskter Sableye can Will-O-Wisp it and allow the team to ignore it afterwards; if it targets Ferrothorn, Iron Barbs is obviously hitting (plus Gyro Ball will hurt even with Intimidate); Cloyster is always a backup and can usually come in safely on it (even without Ice Shard), and its titanic defense will allow it to tank a Close Combat; Greninja has Focus Sash and can take a shot to strike back with Ice Beam; Zapdos3 obviously can wall it forever
  • DawnofMeat - DPP METAAAAAA: Frontline is Metagross/Wobbuffet/Jolteon, and for some reason it will mostly go with Pursuit, which none of these gals really mind; once Salamence comes in, Intimidate all but nullifies it, and if it chooses Close Combat it has three Fighting resists, a physically bulky Metagross, and a Rough Skin Garhomp to contend with
  • R Inanimate - First Streak: Aron is obvious Close Combat bait for a couple of turns, allowing Greninja to Ice Beam it on Turn 2 (or Garchomp to hit it with boosted Dragon Claw); my SamiClone/InspireZheng/Garchomp are no different in this regard; it actually can be a minor problem for my backups, so it is usually a priority target for this team
  • R Inanimate - Second Streak: Outpsed and washed away by the Swift Swimmers, news at 11
  • B.L.S: Having four guys weak to Fighting sucks, but having a frontline with an Intimidator and two Rock Sliders (one of whom can boost its Attack back up) helps; Metagross can usually tank a few shots after Intimidate; Heracross not having any Flying STAB to worry about means it can go about its business relatively peacefully
  • Chef Berger mk.II: Will target Weavile, which means Fake Out from it, followed by Ice Beam from Dewgong will end it immediately; Vaporeon may get lucky with hitting Blizzard too, is 3HKOed by Close Combat so it has some time to work; another instance of the backups being threatened by Staraptor2, so the leads have to take it out ASAP
  • farranpoison - Second Streak: Scarf Terrakion outruns and destroys with Rock Slide; even if he misses and gets taken out by Close Combat, Megazard Y can target it with Flamethrower to take it out; with Porygon2 having BoltBeam and Eviolite, it can come in and comfortrably take it on if needed
  • Roslindale Condores/Quetzales: Either Bisharp gets a Defiant boost, or he doesn't and Talonflame gets to retain +0 Attack for Turn 2 onward; will outrun Mat Block, so Bisharp Protects Turn 1 and lures Close Combat so the other two can do their thing, Turn 2 Sucker Punch plus Brave Bird will take it out; when Aron or Meganectric take the center position, they Protect Turn 1, Aron gets to divert its attention elsewhere while Talonflame/Greninja double-team it Turn 2, while Meganectric simply Volt Switches/Thunderbolts it out of existence Turn 2; Starmie can come in a pinch and 1HKO it with BoltBeam as well
Have other, less efficient examples, but you get the idea. What have your general experiences with Staraptor2 been like?

That being said, your perception of how fun it is in this case would be based on something as little as not running into any moderately difficult Fire types (Heatran, Volcarona, Chandelure, Entei, Moltres, etc.) from battles 40-49.
I was certainly lucky in that regard--Charizard4 once, Darmanitan4 once, and not much more I can remember from there (I was certainly helped by not running into any Veterans, which meant no Moltres/Entei/Heatran issues). Neither was a lead either (Darmanitan4 was a second, Charizard4 was a third), so I could work around both fairly easily.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading through Page 152 of the thread and the short thing on "What Are Your Most Welcome Maison Sets to Face?". If we count solely Battle 41+ sets, then my choice for most useless opponent HAS to be Florges2. Yes, only Ace Trainer Bunny can have it from that point, but considering how annoying she is to face in general, one can breathe a nice sigh of relief when it pops up, because the battle's about to get much easier. No matter the format, spamming two terrain moves (mostly) can't be helping your team out all that much.

EDIT: While I'm here bashing Staraptor2 & Florges2:
Battle #18: Cofagrigus3/Hariyama3/Snorlax3/Quagsire3/Empoleon3/Gourgeist3-XL vs. Lucinda (Krookodile/Staraptor/Shiftry/Togekiss/Skuntank/Florges) (Set 2)
JYGW-WWWW-WW3S-PX9B
A case in point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT 2:
- I notice farranpoison 's 119-win streak was never added to the Triples leaderboard...that loss video proof is probably long gone at this point, but figured I would point it out in case he ever jumps back on the Maison train.
- Flipping through the leaderboard now, and unless I'm missing something, five of the eight Eeveelutions are now represented in some form or fashion. This leaves Espeon, Umbreon, and Leafeon to be accounted for, along with Eevee itself. I can see Chlorophyll Leafeon finding a place in a sun team of some kind eventually, but the other three could be waiting a while...

Last edited:
I've always considered Water/Ice Set 4s to be more dangerous than the third variations because both Slowthings pack TR and Walrein4 has traditionally always been a bigger problem than Vanilluxe/Cryogonal3, the other users of Sheer Cold.

For that matter, I don't consider them among the worse of the Set3s, either; there are numerous Choiced Set3s which can be extremely dangerous and problematic if you face them under even slightly unideal circumstances, while I've never felt that with the Water/Ice Set3s. Slowking3 holds the Specs but I've yet to have a bad warstory focusing around it. Haxorus3 and Archeops3 on the other hand. The latter is much faster and a bit stronger than Tyrantrum4 and while the recoil from Head Smash will usually activate Defeatist, the sheer power behind it along with that CB can still be enough to take down a second uninvested poke. It's the reason I get nervous when a Roller Skater leads with one.

I've decided to run with the beat-up team idea but I have changed the opening line-up to a more traditional beat up core. I now have:

Weavile w/focus sash - jolly - 252atk/252spe beat up, fake out, feint, icicle crash
Terrakion w/choice band - jolly - 252atk/252spe close combat, rock slide, earthquake, poison jab
Togekiss w/charti berry - modest 252hp/220def/4sp.a/28sp.d/4spe tailwind, air slash, roost, follow me

So, a bit different then compared with my previous ideas. I didn't like the reliance of Sun to get shifty hit terrakion first. Terrakion was also still outsped by a margin of the maison. This line up is fun and I have had several battles finish within two turns. Typical turn one goes beat up/rock slide/tailwind. Turn 2 is just picking off the ai back line before they move.

Choice band feels a little bit of overkill at the moment so life orb might be a better option with protect over poison jab. Fake out seems a bit pointless on weavile because I normally beat up turn 1. Ice punch is probably better than icicle crash because my main move already lacks 100% accuracy. Charti berry is there on togekiss so that I don't get ohko'd by an aerodactyl (bar crit). The main issue I now have is physical ice moves and electric moves but most pokemon with those moves are likely to be hit with a +6 attack before they get a chance to hit togekiss. Then tailwind goes up and it should be plain sailing. I know talonflame would guarantee a tailwind but the support offered by togekiss is valuable.

I've gone through a few options in the back already but I currently have mega salamence (with tailwind), air balloon mould breaker excadrill (need to be able to switch in and not be ohko'd by a friendly earthquake) and a competitive milotic (with recover and toxic). I like milotic over gastrodon at the moment because it feels bulkier doesn't have the x4 weakness and resists ice moves. I have had chandelure, ferrothorn and lapras also in the back and all did ok. No complaints really but I was starting to find ground types and poison types an issue, especially if I chose rock slide over eq so this seems ok. Not started a fresh streak yet, just testing.

EDIT: sorry about the formatting. I wasn't at my computer for that post

Last edited:
Have other, less efficient examples, but you get the idea. What have your general experiences with Staraptor2 been like?
They've taken a much better turn now that I know it's coming. If anticipating a close combat, I simply switch out to Azumarill or another fighting resist (if in singles). Brave bird's a little tougher since not as much resists flying and it hits so damn hard with that, with stab and all. (Although you bulleted that it had no STAB? Maybe I'm confusing sets?)

At the beginning, though I had it coming to me because I wasn't prepared and lost my somewhat short anyway doubles streak.
But half the battle in the maison is predicting your opponent's next move or next option, at least, and I feel I've improved on that front but can still get better.

Obviously familiarizing yourself with sets can only help lengthen streaks.

Smuckem

They've taken a much better turn now that I know it's coming. If anticipating a close combat, I simply switch out to Azumarill or another fighting resist (if in singles). Brave bird's a little tougher since not as much resists flying and it hits so damn hard with that, with stab and all. (Although you bulleted that it had no STAB? Maybe I'm confusing sets?)
Correct, you're thinking of Sets 3 (the Choice Band one) & 4 (the Sitrus holder who seems to be oriented towards being Reckless).

I've always considered Water/Ice Set 4s to be more dangerous than the third variations because both Slowthings pack TR and Walrein4 has traditionally always been a bigger problem than Vanilluxe/Cryogonal3, the other users of Sheer Cold.

For that matter, I don't consider them among the worse of the Set3s, either; there are numerous Choiced Set3s which can be extremely dangerous and problematic if you face them under even slightly unideal circumstances, while I've never felt that with the Water/Ice Set3s. Slowking3 holds the Specs but I've yet to have a bad warstory focusing around it. Haxorus3 and Archeops3 on the other hand. The latter is much faster and a bit stronger than Tyrantrum4 and while the recoil from Head Smash will usually activate Defeatist, the sheer power behind it along with that CB can still be enough to take down a second uninvested poke. It's the reason I get nervous when a Roller Skater leads with one.
Set 4s more dangerous than Set 3s? Yes.
Individual Set 3s more dangerous than individual Water/Ice Set 3s? Certainly, though debatable and context-sensitive.
Water/Ice Set 4 trainers more dangerous than Water/Ice Set 3 trainers? Yeah, the former have weather strategies in mind, and the latter have nothing beyond "load up on bulky species, a good defensive typing, a good offensive typing, and cross your fingers"

I can't speak to the overall threat of Archeops3--while I've certainly run into it many times in The First 40, I don't think I've ever run into it post-Dana.

My specific theory is that the Water/Ice Set 3 trainers are the most dangerous trainers (or rosters, I guess) among the pre-41+ trainers ("The First 40" is a thinly-veiled reference). That same lack of strategy is still better than what all of the other pre-41+ trainers have got going for them. (Personal side note: the Set 2 Rising Stars do occasionally catch me off guard when I'm not paying attention, me thinking they're Set 1 Rising Stars and acting accordingly until it's too late and they already gain the upper hand on me. Still, in general, Bunnie & Berger take the cake before the real Maison begins.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- RE: Page 160 and the short discussion about the Eject Button/Symbiosis Florges glitch as applies to the Maison

I found the talk to be amusing, although at the end of the day it came off like a lot of hoop-jumping and effort necessary to get one very specific trick to work. At the end of the day, it still requires one to incorporate Florges into a team--I'm more than willing to use Florges Maison sets, but I can't think of any serious players being so gung-ho. It would like theorymonning "Fidgit in the Battle Maison"--fascinating in a vaccum, but nothing more.

- RE: All of Page 154

A couple of awesome Triples teams, an awesome theorized Triples team that sadly never got off the ground, and the whole tantalizing prospect of banlist removal (remember, possible in Mock Battle!)...an awesome page overall.

- Wish Chansey has been enough of a trouble-maker on this thread that it got me thinking as to what lengths one would have to go through in order to provide acceptable proof of legality of event Pokémon players legitimately receive. In the case of the trouble-maker, or really any of the Wish Egg 'mons...perhaps a long-ass video showing the Wish Egg making the journey from Pal Park-->PokeShifter-->Transporter? PokeCheck has not seemed like enough of a marker in this specific case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- So, after my most recent post I began to seriously ponder getting a couple of those missing Eeveelutions on the leaderboard. In the process of doing that, I stumbled into a couple of battles that got me thinking...deeper.

Battle #7 of my most recent attempt wasn't anything particularly special: Megazard-Y/Typhlosion/Leafeon/Manectric/Imperfect Pyroar2/Heatran vs. Lass Kana (Ambipom/Kangaskhan/Porygon-Z/Exploud/Miltank/Tauros) (Set 1) was pretty much what you would expect Sun vs. Set 1 Mono-Normal to be. It was the process of getting there and the aftermath, though, that got me thinking.

See, Kana was the trainer who ended my first serious Super Triples attempt way back when in early, pre-Bank X. I was using Imperfect Zapdos3/Imperfect Articuno3/Noivern/Imperfect Gourgeist3/Goodra/Hawlucha; she used Lopunny/Kangaskhan/Staraptor/Unfezant/Slaking/Tauros (Set 1). The battle itself was a mishmash of factors culminating in me being owned quite handily:
  • My team was EV-trained, but not IV-bred
  • Between two Intimidators, two Fake Out users, two U-turn users, and my general unwillingness to switch, the opposition was effectively able to dance around me until Slaking1 was ready to clean up (not like it needed to do much)
  • This was before I printed out the Maison set lists and began referring to them regularly; while I had used all of these guys at some point or another in Rental Masters, I was mainly going off of memory and ended up forgetting a few things (most crtitically, Unfezant1 having Tailwind)
  • Too much setup involved (dual screens between the Legendary birds, Tailwind on Noivern, Swords Dance on Hawlucha) against an opponent that absolutely was not going to give me the time of day
  • The mostly-Flying-type dealie
That was only one of several battles that guided me along on the path to improvement, but it sticks out in my memory particularly painfully. I actually PokeGen-ed that team some time later in White 2, figuring that if could whip my ass so thoroughly, in the hands of a human player (with perfect IVs) it might be able to do some damage in PWT. There was a period afterward where I would relish battling Lasses in Super Triples, seeking eternal revenge ("awwww, y'all dead now!"). It fooled me into thinking--for quite a while, in fact--that Tauros is viable in the Maison.

As you can see, this recent battle triggered flashbacks and a lot of other shit in my head: how I've grown as a player, how far this thread and its regulars have come, the daunting enormity of what else the Maison experience can still offer, etc. It made me realize how much I missed out on by not becoming a Smogonite sooner, simply because I was intimidated by the sheer knowledge this crowd possesses: Eppie being a regular here, the early days of hilarious and fun-looking pre-Bank teams, the fascinating-in-retrospect ~Mercury~ post of "Tyrantrum4 vs. Chansey in Super Singles", etc. It made me all the more thankful that this thread exists here to begin with: no way do I feel as "at home" anywhere else in these forums (even on the Battle Subway Records thead), and, as mentioned previously, it will make for a hell of a read when it hits 200 pages and I print this sucker out.

The whole " growing as a player" bit might be the most important aspect of these ponderings. This time around, I double-switched on Turn 1, used Knock Off on Porygon-Z1, and basically sacked Leafeon to let the Fire-types start the slaughter *smile*. I then proceeded to lose the streak at Battle #17 to Aurorus2/Aerodactyl2/Excadrill2/Ferrothorn2/Golurk2/Escavalier2. Don't Maison and watch NBA games at the same time, kids *wink*.

Always learning, mostly always enjoying, occasionally shouting.
[/HIDE]

Last edited:
Hey guys, might be a bit late but I put the Trainer and Pokemon info onto Bulbapedia in case a nice sortable list is useful:

List of Pokemon: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Battle_Maison_Pokémon

List of Trainers: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Battle_Maison_Trainers
Extremely well organized and easily browsed. Thank you for doing this.

What I would change for those who begin using that page for reference and had no prior knowledge is specifying the specialty teams or at least doing more to indicate what they use.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)