Battle Mechanics Research

Question about Round: in a Triple Battle, what determines whether or not the third Round user immediately follows the other two? I've had cases where the third user gets to use it immediately (and going before things with higher speed), but I've also had cases where other Pokemon use moves between the Rounds, and I have no idea what causes the difference.

^That's what I'd like to know. I'm starting to think that there's a 50% chance that the 3rd Round user will get it off immediately after the 2nd,
I've yet to find out any consistencies otherwise.

Hi guys, first time poster here but long time player. My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but in my searches before posting I couldn't find anything.

The question is, precisely what is the value of "one stage" or "two stages" when using moves like Swords Dance, Agility, Dragon Dance, etc. That is, say for the sake of argument that I have attack and speed stats of exactly 300 on my Haxorus after all natures, IVs, EVs, etc are accounted for. I then use Dragon Dance once. What will its new attack and speed stats be?

Hi guys, first time poster here but long time player. My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but in my searches before posting I couldn't find anything.

The question is, precisely what is the value of "one stage" or "two stages" when using moves like Swords Dance, Agility, Dragon Dance, etc. That is, say for the sake of argument that I have attack and speed stats of exactly 300 on my Haxorus after all natures, IVs, EVs, etc are accounted for. I then use Dragon Dance once. What will its new attack and speed stats be?
This page on Bulbapedia should answer your question: Stat Stages

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
If a ditto/smeargle/mew transforms into a non-Mega but holds that Pokemon's correct mega stone (eg Ditto transforms into a Gengar and Ditto is holding Gengarite), can the Pokemon that used Transform mega-evolve?

breh

強いだね
If a ditto/smeargle/mew transforms into a non-Mega but holds that Pokemon's correct mega stone (eg Ditto transforms into a Gengar and Ditto is holding Gengarite), can the Pokemon that used Transform mega-evolve?
On this note:

If a pokemon with mimic glitched transform uses transform on something that has a megaevolution but holds its own mega stone, can it still megaevolve into its own mega? For example, could Venusaur with mimic glitched transform use transform on, say, a weedle and still megaevolve into megavenusaur if it holds venusaurite?

Tried with Ditto vs wild Gyarados, Ditto was unable to Mega evolve despite holding gyaradosite.

Freeze-Dry.
Is it a dual-type move? When will it hit super-effectively?

What will happen if it hits, say, Walrein?
No it's an ice type move but has a modifier to hit super effective against water rather than not very effective. I'm not too sure if it would over ride the ice typing of walrein though.

freeze dry isn't a dual typed move it's just specifically coded to deal SE damage to water type and then work from that for any sub typing.

so that it hits empleon a water/steel neutrally since steel resists ice but hits stuff like gastrodon and kingdra 4x since their other typing is weak to ice.

In the case of Walrein the move would be neutral since ice resist itself and it's hitting the water SE

This is possibly a stupid question but how does Memento function against Magic Bounce / Magic Coat? Because Parting Shot is reversed by these moves and abilities (user takes a stat hit while the target is forced out), I'm sort of hopeful that Memento now KO's a target with Magic Bounce at the cost of sharp attack stat drops to the user.
Then again I may be crazy.
Memento bypasses Magic Bounce.

7LTW-WWWW-WWW4-KG3Y

This Battle Video shows a Gyarados surviving 2 +1 Returns from Mega Kangaskhan plus a small amount of chip damage from Power up Punch. According to this calculator http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/ Return at +1 should be a clear 2 hit KO assuming the Gyarados is impish and max defense. The Kangaskhan is Jolly with max Attack and my opponent has declared that his Gyarados is Careful with max HP and 148 Defense.

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 108-127 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So does this mean that the damage calculator is not updated to the current understanding of the damage formula and mechanics of Parental Bond? Or do we not have a damage formula yet?

EDIT: I feel like a colossal idiot now. thanks, TheMantyke

Last edited:
I gave up after a few pages of reading, so I'll just ask. Does Knock Off's bonus damage still apply if the item is held, but cannot be removed? This applies in cases such as Mega Stones and Griseous Orb.

Also PsiUmbreon, that 2HKO analysis is likely already accounting for the second hit of Parental Bond as being part of the original hit. (What TheMantyke said below this is also very likely.)

Last edited:
7LTW-WWWW-WWW4-KG3Y

This Battle Video shows a Gyarados surviving 2 +1 Returns from Mega Kangaskhan plus a small amount of chip damage from Power up Punch. According to this calculator http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/ Return at +1 should be a clear 2 hit KO assuming the Gyarados is impish and max defense. The Kangaskhan is Jolly with max Attack and my opponent has declared that his Gyarados is Careful with max HP and 148 Defense.

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 108-127 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So does this mean that the damage calculator is not updated to the current understanding of the damage formula and mechanics of Parental Bond? Or do we not have a damage formula yet?
I cannot view the battle video you posted at the moment, but I would guess the problem here would be that your Kangaskhan hasn't reached max happiness yet.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
I gave up after a few pages of reading, so I'll just ask. Does Knock Off's bonus damage still apply if the item is held, but cannot be removed? This applies in cases such as Mega Stones and Griseous Orb.
No it doesn't. If the item can be removed the boost applies, even if something hinders it (Sticky Hold).

Parental Bond does not affect Explosion (Zarel vs V4: AYYG-WWWW-WWW4-L6SU). So I would wager it doesn't affect ANY self-KO move but of course I will do further testing.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Has anyone researched whether Zoroark copies Mega Evolutions? Let's say I mega-evolve my Venusaur and it is in the last spot of the party, will Illusion copy the mega-evo or just the base form? Or is my knowledge of Illusion incorrect? I would test myself, but it's proving to be very laborious finding a Zoroark. I also looked through the OP and many older posts but did not find any mention besides another person asking this question
Some further extrapolation on this:

Zoroark will copy the Pokemon's base forme, such as Venusaur, if it's in the last slot. If Venusaur then comes out and Mega Evolves, and then is moved back to the last slot, Zoroark will be Mega Venusaur when it comes out again.

This also works if Zoroark never copies the base forme as well.

I just thought of something.

I want someone to confirm the following (I can help with this tonight, but I need a reply within an hour):
If you use Future Sight in a rotation battle and then rotate to a guy with Unaware 2 turns later, will the target's special defense buffs be ignored?

Can you use Trick or Knock off against a Pokemon holding a Megastone when the Pokemon itself cannot use it? e.g. trying to use Trick against/with a Rotom holding Gengarite

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Can you use Trick or Knock off against a Pokemon holding a Megastone when the Pokemon itself cannot use it? e.g. trying to use Trick against/with a Rotom holding Gengarite
You can, as long as the Trick user isn't a Gengar.

Mega Stones, Griseous Orb and the Plates can not be given to or removed from their "rightful" owners by any means.

belch cannot be selected by assist, even if the assist user has consumed a berry.

despite there not being any reason for it at this point (since the recording aspect of it is gone afaik), chatter still cannot be selected by assist.

If a harvest user loses its ability (through mummy or worry seed etc) and consumes its berry before switching out, once it switches back in with Harvest restored, can it recover its berry?

And the other way around, if a pokémon consumes a berry and then gains harvest through, for example, Role Play, can it recover its berry?

Edit: got a couple of other questions regarding Knock off actually.

Does Red Card activate before Knock Off, well, knocks it off??

Are items that activate when you're hit by knock off recoverable? For example if Trevenant has the dark resist berry: opponent uses knock off, berry activates. Can Harvest restore it? Same question with something like a psychic type with weakness policy and recycle.

Last edited:
for the Trevenant with harvest vs knock off holding Colbur berry yes because the Colbur berry takes effect before knock off item removal does so it counts has it using it's berry for harvest/recycle.

same with bug bite/pluck as well vs Tanga and coba berrys (the bug and flying resist berrys) they activate and are consumed before the move's berry destroying effect on the holder of these if the holder is weak to the moves.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)