Battle Spot in the OR/AS era - two metas, one generation! (UPDATE: ALL MEGA EVO STATS LEAKED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, under TR, at least. Legit heatran with eruption were nature-locked to quiet. ^_^ New checks on battle spot identify hacked heatran now.
Yeah, I know they were. :] That's why i said TR/tailwind. Without support from those, Quiet nature is kind of a hindrance.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
With ORAS out in 10 days, let's revive this thread.

I'll start off with something simple: Here are some important moves some Pokemon lost with the pentagon rule. Since we know that the ORAS tutors are pretty much the same as BW2, there isn't a whole lot lost. However, there are some somewhat significant losses.

Kangaskhan
- Seismic Toss

Suicune
- Sheer Cold
- Extreme Speed

Heatran
- Eruption

Clefable
- Softboiled

Entei
- Extreme Speed

Glalie
- Double Edge

Altaria
- Double Edge
- Body Slam

Hitmontop
- Sucker Punch

Dusclops/Dusknoir
- Helping Hand

Also String Shot if you're into that kind of thing (it got buffed in gen 6 and now drops Speed by 2 stages). LMK if there are more notable missing moves.

The biggest loss here appears to be Suicune, as Sheer Cold is a huge reason why it's feared and also enables it to run an Assault Vest set. Entei losing ES is also fairly big but not as metagame impacting. Kangaskhan losing Seismic Toss takes away some of its stallbreaking potential (also not a bad way to handle being burned), but Kangashan is versatile enough to not really care.
Also might be worth mentioning everything that could only get follow me or helping hand from XD. No more helping hand/tri attack togekiss or follow me magmars.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Purification#Special_moves

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Some of them are acceptable losses. I think the main reason for the decline of Heatran will not be the loss of Eruption, but the difficulty of obtaining a good pentagon one. Heatran is still very good without it and if a good redis one comes out, then we will once again find endless uses for it. Moonlight has significantly less PP than Softboiled, but I've never been in a situation where I'm in a position to stall that many turns with a Clefable. Obviously, the extra PP is nice but I think it will largely remain functionally the same.

The biggest loser imo will be Landorus-I because of the high probability that its HA will no longer be legal. Without Sheer Force, its special set loses a lot of power and everything else is largely outclassed by Landorus-T. Thundurus will also no longer be able to punish Intimidate spam with a mixed set, although Prankster is still very good.

Overall though, except maybe Entei, I don't think specific Pokemon will be adversely affected. They will still be in the same place before (and after in the case of the unreleased Megas). AV Sheer Cold Suicune is viable, but it still has plenty of support options available. Basically what I said about Heatran applies to most everything: loss of one option but still others to use but it's not really much worse for it. The only thing that will be kinda bad now is Landorus-I.

Shit format, but I found a Google docs page that lists event-exclusive moves: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_OSQA5_Z2U9a1lNd2V5VmxwVjQ/edit

Keep in mind that some of the more notable ones continue to exist in the meta, including Sludge Wave Gengar and things that are now egg moves like Selfdestruct Snorlax.

P.S. Arceus help us all if Gamefreak ever does a special ladder with ubers because that would actually be terrible lol. Losing almost everything and having Primal Reversions in their face.

EDIT: Corocoro just leaked and 100% confirmed that all previous legendaries will be obtainable, therefore Cress, Heatran, genies, etc will all be legal in ORAS league. I guess we already knew it but it's nice to have confirmation.

Last edited:
Greninja'd with the leaks D: Soon after I assume that they won't be in, they're confirmed!

In this case I feel like there isn't enough of a difference between the two leagues for me to care about the XY league. I wonder if any other people disagree?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I would disagree, XY League has a few merits to warrant it staying relevant. I'm still going to have my copy of XY so it's not like it's going away and I can still use my old teams.

For one, I think that the Special ladder for the season (doubles, Hoenn dex) will be far more palatable to play in XY League because it will not be a Megamence-centered meta. Because of the limited pool of Pokemon to use, I think that it will be a healthier meta without a very powerful Pokemon where we haven't had the proper time and experience to handle. It took awhile for the meta to shift such that XY's megas became "easier" to handle, and the same will happen with the new Megas that will look OP first but less so as time goes on. But for now, I wouldn't touch such a narrow meta with a mon that sticks out like a sore thumb...

There is also the accessibility issue. It's much easier to RNG abuse a team from a previous gen than to spend Arceus knows how long softresetting KB legendaries. If you cook up a fun team and it doesn't have any of the new megas, you can just jump right into XY League. tbh, there is more that is excluded from ORAS League than in XY League.

Overall, I think that the XY meta has its merits. I know it is in everyone's nature to flock to the new shiny thing and I'm likely going to be in that boat too. But these are but a few examples that I think XY League has a few pros to keep people playing.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
One thing to note is that Salamence no longer gets Refresh, so it loses one of the things that makes it's bulky DD sets so ridiculous. Packing an Infiltrator status mon on your team like Crobat or Spiritomb may have some merits...

It was mentioned briefly on page 1 but I think that Porygon2 deserves more consideration in ORAS league:

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download / Trace / Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold/Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt / Tri Attack
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

The fact is that MegaMence is a threat and every team needs a check/counter like it or not. Porygon2 fits the bill (geddit because it's a duck) pretty well. It looks like I went crazy on the slashes with the abilities but every single one has it's own ups and downs and after many chats on showdown I believe that any of them can be used. It just depends on the rest of your team and what else other than Mence needs to be checked/countered. And hey, look at it taking a hit!

252+ SpA Aerilate Mega Salamence Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 72-85 (37.5 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Mega Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 81-96 (42.1 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

After the stat drop on Draco Meteor that's a 3HKO tops. MegaMence has no way to 2HKO Porygon2.

Download: MegaMence gets a defence boost to 95/130/90 which is just nice for Porygon2 to switch in and get a SpA boost. This boost is critical to a guaranteed OHKO back:

0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 156-188 (77.2 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 232-276 (114.8 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The downside is that regular Mence has balanced 95/80/80 base defences. If Mence has a 4EV investment to SpD, Porygon2 will mess up the download on the switch, effectively giving the opponent a little more free room to change strategy. Although depending on the circumstances, this difference may be minimal.

Trace: Trace isn't particularly advantageous for Porgyon2 in terms of defeating Mence, but has the wider benefits of being able to switch out of Shadow Tag users such as Mega Gengar. Like the first calc I did for non-Download Ice Beam, it will not be able to OHKO MegaMence and Aerialate isn't all that amazing (even Aerialate Tri Attack doesn't sound particularly useful unless someone can show me a good use for it). But in terms of taking on other threats it can be considered.

Analytic: And more specifically, -Spe Porygon from a Relaxed Nature. There are a few things that Bold Porgyon2 could speed tie with such as Jellicent, but these are decent trades off for having that great +30%-power-to-all-moves Analytic boost. Namely, the guaranteed OHKO on to MegaMence:

0 SpA Analytic Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 204-240 (100.9 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This thing hurts.

So yeah those are my thoughts regarding Porgyon2 at the moment and I'm still deciding which ability to use. I'm currently breeding non-HA (Analytic) Porgyons so if anyone wants a 5IV one then feel free to PM me since I have a box full! Meanwhile I will consider if I should try to get HA and what else there is which can take on the giant beast that is MegaKhan 2.0

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I can definitely see P2 rising in usage due to the scarcity of Cresselia - it's already pretty good in its own right. The main thing you will have to watch out for is Knock Off galore.

Typically, the best defensive ability is Trace - you CAN get the Intimidate off if you switch in on it. You can grab all sorts of other useful abilities too, not just against Mence. Levitate, Pixilate, Flash Fire, Swift Swim...just adds to its utility. Usually, Trace is the optimal choice for a defensive set - however, I do think all abilities are viable.

tbh I prefer Analytic over Download, simply because Download can be luck dependent. However, do remember that Naive is typically run on Mixmence so it is possible that you can grab that SpA boost in most cases. I know lots of people like Download but I don't like how there is a chance of it being useless. Up to you, really, especially since Analytic can grab that OHKO and P2 is slower than most everything except Aegi.

Thanks for the input! Also I think I found something while messing with the calculator:

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpA
Bold
Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt / Tri Attack
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

92 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 172-204 (100.5 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Do note that this MegaMence is 4HP rather than 252HP which I used to calc in my last post. However, since you can Roost damage to beat MegaMence 1v1 anyway this might be enough.

252+ SpA Mega Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 81-96 (42.1 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Aerilate Mega Salamence Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 73-87 (38 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

4SpD less doesn't change a thing in how many hits it can take. Can anyone see if there's something wrong with this spread? There might be something that I've overlooked

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
One Pokémon that I've been looking at to deal with both Salamence and Kangaskhan is Cofagrigus.

Cofagrigus @ Rocky Helmet
Bold
Mummy
252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp. Atk
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split
-Shadow Ball
-Trick Room

Cofagrigus is a defensive Ghost that can be used to wall and wear down Mega Kangaskhan and mono-attacking Mega Salamence. Kangaskhan's only common move that can hit this thing is Earthquake, given that you only have Shadow Ball as an attacking move, and it can easy be burned and worn down with Pain Split. Salamence is more difficult to cover, what with all of it's possible sets, but this Cofagrigus is meant to provide an answer to the defensive Sub+DD+Roost sets that have become popular in ORAS OU and may see usage on the Battle Spot. Cofa isn't quite defensive enough, even with full investment, to avoid the 2HKO from fully invested Thrash, but Mummy strips it of Aerilate, leaving mono-attacking sets completely walled. That leaves Cofagrigus with a free turn (or two if Thrash) to set up a Trick Room for it's team, burn an incoming switch-in or Pain Split to recover any damage taken. Shadow Ball deals enough damage to reliably break Salamence's Subs, and Trick Room allows you to get a Will-o-Wisp off before Mence uses Substitute, avoiding situations wherein Salamence can PP stall you out of Shadow Balls using SubRoost. Against special sets, Cofagrigus doesn't do as well, but it can tank a hit, Trick Room up and put a chunk in Salamence with Pain Split before dying. Pure DD sets can be burned after tanking an attack. I'm not sure about how good this will be in practice as the calcs make it look like a sketchy choice but I'd say it's worth a shot.

Also Infiltrator mons; does anyone think there'd be any merit in Sash HP [Ice] Chandelure or Scarf Noivern, or even Spiritomb? I'm clutching at straws a bit because holy shit this thing is broken :(

Yeah i have the same issue, how will i ever be able to tank mega salamence? I hope my avalugg can deal with it, if its able to live a double edge and with rocky helmet damage it might be able to ko with boosted, because it comes second, avalanche. Your cofagrigus seems to be really worth trying too! Im hoping mega salamence will see less use in battlespot than in showdown, cause or meta is different, but I dont think it will cause battlespot meta is even more about raw power and speed, wich mega salamence has both.

Yeah i have the same issue, how will i ever be able to tank mega salamence? I hope my avalugg can deal with it, if its able to live a double edge and with rocky helmet damage it might be able to ko with boosted, because it comes second, avalanche. Your cofagrigus seems to be really worth trying too! Im hoping mega salamence will see less use in battlespot than in showdown, cause or meta is different, but I dont think it will cause battlespot meta is even more about raw power and speed, wich mega salamence has both.
avlugg is one of my favorite pokemon and it may be useful. The only thing i don't like is you are taking up an entire team slot just to counter mega mence :/. Sadly may or may not be effective as salamence despite mega-ing still run mixed and mixed means fire blast, witch unboosted can OHKO. this thing looks unstopable on paper but i haven't tried it out in practice yet so i can't say for sure. but who knows it could be the next big trend in the meta

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
In Dubs, Suicune is coming out as a fairly good way to deal with Mega-Mence with its natural bulk helping to take a couple of hits and KO with Ice Beam, on top of that the support it gives to the team with Tailwind. I'm not sure how effective it will be in Battle Spot Singles, only Singles Cune set I know is Crocune, but it could be a good help in Battle Spot Doubles.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
avlugg is one of my favorite pokemon and it may be useful. The only thing i don't like is you are taking up an entire team slot just to counter mega mence :/. Sadly may or may not be effective as salamence despite mega-ing still run mixed and mixed means fire blast, witch unboosted can OHKO. this thing looks unstopable on paper but i haven't tried it out in practice yet so i can't say for sure. but who knows it could be the next big trend in the meta
I've already posted my thoughts on Avalugg as it's going to be my dedicated M-Salamence check. I'll just go ahead and quite myself...

I remember in the early XY BS metagame Avalugg got a fair amount of use, it walls physical attackers with its massive defence stat, has sturdy + mirror coat for special attackers, can sustain itself with Recover and make use of both Lefties and Rocky Helmet. Because of these traits I think it would be a good check to M-Salamence (providing it hasn't boosted, but what can take it on reliably after that?). It can tank a physical hit and KO with Avalanche, or if you predict Fire Blast then Mirror Coat it.

Calcs done with M-Salamence's stats:

252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 63-75 (31.1 - 37.1%) -- 77.8% chance to 3HKO

+4 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 187-222 (92.5 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 75-88 (37.1 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+3 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 184-217 (91 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

4 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 178-210 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

4 SpA Salamence Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Avalugg: 146-172 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
-1 4 Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 168-204 (98.8 - 120%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Here we see that M-Salamence has to be at +4 to even have a shot at OHKOing Avalugg, and that doesn't even include Sturdy, while -1 Avalugg with only 4 attack EVs and a neutral nature (meaning you can go fully defensive) can OHKO back! (if you use Rocky Helmet the KO is guaranteed). I might go with something like:

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Impish / Relaxed Nature
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
- Avalanche
- Mirror Coat
- Recover
- Earthquake / Curse / Barrier / Toxic
As I mentioned; Avalugg can OHKO standard M-Mence with uninvested Avalanche (while taking poultry damage itself), and can deal with specially oriented sets with its Sturdy + Mirror Coat combo. Sure, once you've dealt with 'Mence you're then left with a severely crippled Avalugg but I still think it's one of the best answers outside Scarf Ditto

#ORASHYPE Its out now. Im quite exited to see what the ORAS league will be like, but i think this will be quite prevalent:

Salamence@ Salamenceite
Ability: Moxie/Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 252 Atk 252 Spd
Moves:
-Dragon dance
-Dragon claw/Outrage/Random coverage move
-EQ
-Return/Double-edge

Greninja might be viable now, and i expect i rise in P2, Rotom, and Cress. 2 bad Landorus-I got nerfed :(.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I'm going through the storyline slowly and methodically so I haven't played Battle Spot yet or even gotten Salamencite but I'm curious to know why Double Edge seems to be more popular than Thrash? Thrash is much less risky to be locked into than Outrage due to the lack of Flying type immunities and I would imagine that even Flying resists will take a lot from +1. If people are willing to run Outrage situationally (basically for Rotom-W and Thundurus only), I don't know why Thrash isn't considered for wider use. I think that Double Edge and Thrash both have their merits; Salamence has very good defenses so Thrash lets you be somewhat less prone to revenge kills (aka no chip damage from recoil to make it easier for your opponent to breach those defenses), whereas Double Edge punishes mistakes less if the opponent is running anything that happens to resist Flying. If you are good at prediction skills, I think Thrash is superior if you're looking to run one of the 120 BP STAB options.

I heard that Aggron can make a fairly good check to Mence, but the onsite damage calc is down for me. It unfortunately requires a Mega slot but what do you guys think of Aggron as a check to physical sets at least?

I think frustration is better than DE and thrash tbh. Less power but it's much more reliable than both.

Bulky Salamence is going to be really good I think so DE just doesn't make a lot of sense to use imo when you have Frustration/Return. And thrash is a decent option but when you lock yourself in you won't be able to roost(and/or sub) whenever you need to, plus you get confused.

rhyperior reliably checks pure physical or physically based mega mence.

rhyperior resists fire blast which is why i would rather use it instead of aggron to check it.

EQ only does around 27%-32% to 252hp/252def+ rhyperior which is further mitigated by leftovers iirc.

ice punch can 2HKO even 252hp/252def+ mega salamence. iirc ice punch from 4attk rhyperior does 49%-56%.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Like I said, I haven't gotten to Battle Spot yet, but what do you guys think about Bold Slowbro with Ice Beam to check Mega Salamence? It was pretty useful for me against Garchomp, but I have some doubts about it dealing with Mega Salamence considering it doesn't resist any of its moves. Probably wouldn't be able to deal with a Dragon Dance variant.

Rhyperior seems like a decent enough check, which is cool. It's one of my favorite Pokemon but I've never really had much reason to use it, so hopefully this is one.

Like I said, I haven't gotten to Battle Spot yet, but what do you guys think about Bold Slowbro with Ice Beam to check Mega Salamence? It was pretty useful for me against Garchomp, but I have some doubts about it dealing with Mega Salamence considering it doesn't resist any of its moves. Probably wouldn't be able to deal with a Dragon Dance variant.

Rhyperior seems like a decent enough check, which is cool. It's one of my favorite Pokemon but I've never really had much reason to use it, so hopefully this is one.
a plus 1 attack jolly mega mence does about 40% (around that) so it could if mence doesn't set up then your set to go

It's actually really good against mence, one of the best.

Suicune is another mon that fairs well against mence with ice beam. I especially like it in dubs/trips cause it can provide tailwind support to potentially outspeed mence as well.

Is there gonna be a different viability rankings for ORAS? Also this I'm very exited to use this:

Metagross@ Metagrossite
Shiny: Yes
Nature: Jolly
Moves:
-EQ
-Meteor mash
-Zen headbutt
-Filler

i though about it and there are 2 pokemon i will be using to check mega salamence.

Bronzong in immune to EQ witch helps it a lot. But the main this is its resists megamence's flying and dragon STAB. Mega mence also has a base 130 (in that ball park) speed stat, normally would be bad but for a bronzong its amazing and can irritate mega mence to some extent. It does somewhat fear fire blast but it should (unless highly invested) do just under half. For sableye it may be one of those situational counters. Even for a pokemon like mega salamence with all that power, a burn still hurts. If a salaemce gets a Sub off when sableye switches in then its just set-up bait in most cases. If a sableye can somehow life a plus +1 return a foul play could do big damage/break the sub.
Is there gonna be a different viability rankings for ORAS? Also this I'm very exited to use this:

Metagross@ Metagrossite
Shiny: Yes
Nature: Jolly
Moves:
-EQ
-Meteor mash
-Zen headbutt
-Filler
Yes there are going ot be new rankings for ORAS but we are playing the game and are going to let the meta settle before ranking things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)