Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Guys, can I put just 228 EVs in Speed on Timid Raikou (180 spe) for outspeed Thundurus? I mean, there's something which forced me to use more EVs in Speed?
Outpacing Serperior is nice I suppose, although I don't know how viable it is on Battle Spot, I just know it's important in OU.

Hey guys. I played BSS months ago (I think it was Season 9 or 10, don't really remember) and I got some points but stopped playing. Now I'm playing again.

I have some questions about M-Aggron. What's a good EV spread for him? Why most people use Iron Head instead of Heavy Slam? (flinchhax after Aggron T-waves and consistent base power?). Finally I've been thinking about some teammates for him, what would you guys recommend? I saw Lanturn on PGL and I though it was pretty cool because it can handle Thundurus-I and it can take some special hits overall. Also Garchomp that can switch into Zard-Y moves (I think) and he's just a great pokémon all-around. I would like have some offensive pokémon to break through some bulky stuff that Aggron can't handle like Hippo and Suicune but also keeping good switch-ins on the team. Sorry if I'm asking too much.

Hey guys. I played BSS months ago (I think it was Season 9 or 10, don't really remember) and I got some points but stopped playing. Now I'm playing again.

I have some questions about M-Aggron. What's a good EV spread for him? Why most people use Iron Head instead of Heavy Slam? (flinchhax after Aggron T-waves and consistent base power?). Finally I've been thinking about some teammates for him, what would you guys recommend? I saw Lanturn on PGL and I though it was pretty cool because it can handle Thundurus-I and it can take some special hits overall. Also Garchomp that can switch into Zard-Y moves (I think) and he's just a great pokémon all-around. I would like have some offensive pokémon to break through some bulky stuff that Aggron can't handle like Hippo and Suicune but also keeping good switch-ins on the team. Sorry if I'm asking too much.
Yeah, I'd run Iron Head over Heavy Slam simply because it's got an consistent base power and the paraflinch hax isn't all that bad either. For the EV spread, I usually run 252 HP/ 44 ATK / 212 SpD. Though the standard 252 HP /16 Def / 240 SpD works just as well, I just like having a little bit more damage output. As for the partners, I'd imagine Gastrodon or Jolteon/Raikou ( The former walls Suicune with Clear Smog + Earthpower, the latter wallbreaks before the Calm Mind boosts ) would make up for good partners. Gastrodon could be replaced by Dragonite for more offensive presence; Since Aggron works well with both it's entirely up to personal choice.

That's just some stuff I got off the top of my head right now, but I hope it helped.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
252 HP /16 Def / 240 SpD -> 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpD coz of the way level 50 EVs work.

I also don't think you can say that Gastrodon walls Suicune since this season it will just Sheer Cold you. When the Pentagon restriction is back (if it comes back) then yeah maybe, but Rest versions will make it a huge stallfest.

Tank! what role do you want M-Aggron to play? A pure physical wall? Physical attacker? Stealth Rock + Thunder Wave lead? It can do a few things pretty well so knowing what you wanna do with it would help. Since he takes physical hits pretty damn well you can just pair him with something specially bulky like Chansey / Blissey / Sylveon / Latias / Cresselia etc to form a nice defensive core. It looks like Hydreigon is pretty popular with it too, due to his Ground immunity and resistance to Fire, you just need something to deal with Fighting types (especially Blaziken) and you're almost set I think..

I've been using one and I really like the Stealth Rock + T-wave lead set. It's pretty fun.

I was using Latios with him since it covers his weakness well and it's more offensive than Latias, but I'm gonna try her out too. I was also using Greninja because (in my theory) I could paralyze my opponent pkmn with M-Aggron and with Rocks damage, I think Greninja would have a good time finishing off my opponent team. Cresselia seems pretty good tho. Not sure if it's the best move option to use, but I saw M-Aggron becoming useless when burned, so Cress/Latias can definitely help me out with Healing Wish/Lunar Dance.

Thanks both of you guys for the help. Really appreciate it. :)

I just managed to breed a Wynaut with a 31/0/31/31/31/0 Bold spread. What is the ideal speed for this thing anyway? 31 or 0? I know it doesn't matter much since Counter and Mirror Coat have negative priority but I also run Encore and Destiny Bond on this.

I just managed to breed a Wynaut with a 31/0/31/31/31/0 Bold spread. What is the ideal speed for this thing anyway? 31 or 0? I know it doesn't matter much since Counter and Mirror Coat have negative priority but I also run Encore and Destiny Bond on this.
0 Speed isn't really beneficial in any way that i can think of. Your speed doesn't exactly matter too much, especially if you use custap berry. Wob is pretty slow and theres not much to really outspeed. The most you'd wanna go is 4 or 12 EVs, even that's not exactly necessary. You probably could get away with running less than 31 ivs if you're just not feeling like breeding or something.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only common Battle Spot Pokemon that you miss out on outspeeding are (Mega) Slowbro and Reuniclus, and nichemons like Cofagrigus (escapes Shadow Tag though), Mega Abomasnow, (Mega) Steelix, and Avalugg.. I think Slowbro and Reuniclus are good ones to outspeed since you can Encore them into something that you can either Mirror Coat or easily switch into a counter, so maybe keep breeding.

Just curious what relevant threats Jolly M-Hera out speeds over adamant- and also the viability of running mega horn over bullet seed in case he cops a burn on a switch in and can't rely on pin missile

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Just curious what relevant threats Jolly M-Hera out speeds over adamant- and also the viability of running mega horn over bullet seed in case he cops a burn on a switch in and can't rely on pin missile
After Mega evolving it outspeeds jolly base 70s (Breloom), mega Tyranitar, neutral 80s (Dragonite), and neutral Rotoms.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Keep in mind however, that Mega Heracross is often paired with Cresselia which can provide Thunder Wave support for Heracross, so Adamant is still generally the preferred nature as a result. As for Pin Missile and Megahorn, the better accuracy, breaking Sash/Sturdy and avoiding contact is a really nice advantage so there's pretty much no reason to use Megahorn over it. The burn damage doesn't harm Pin Missile's damage output any differently than Megahorn as far as I know.

Keep in mind however, that Mega Heracross is often paired with Cresselia which can provide Thunder Wave support for Heracross, so Adamant is still generally the preferred nature as a result. As for Pin Missile and Megahorn, the better accuracy, breaking Sash/Sturdy and avoiding contact is a really nice advantage so there's pretty much no reason to use Megahorn over it. The burn damage doesn't harm Pin Missile's damage output any differently than Megahorn as far as I know.
Actually, if Guts Heracross gets burned on the switch in, it'd be better not to mega evolve and be packing Megahorn instead, because Pin Missile is unreliable as in you don't know how many times it'll hit. Here's some calcs just to illustrate this.

252+ Atk Guts Heracross Pin Missile (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 88-108 (38.7 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Heracross Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 210-248 (92.5 - 109.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

At worst case scenario, you fail to 2HKO Cress with Pin Missile whilst Megahorn has a fair possibility of outright 1HKO'ing it. Sure it's really situational, but it does have its benefits under certain circunstances imo. But I still wouldn't run it tho.

Actually, if Guts Heracross gets burned on the switch in, it'd be better not to mega evolve and be packing Megahorn instead, because Pin Missile is unreliable as in you don't know how many times it'll hit. Here's some calcs just to illustrate this.

252+ Atk Guts Heracross Pin Missile (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 88-108 (38.7 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Heracross Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 210-248 (92.5 - 109.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

At worst case scenario, you fail to 2HKO Cress with Pin Missile whilst Megahorn has a fair possibility of outright 1HKO'ing it. Sure it's really situational, but it does have its benefits under certain circunstances imo. But I still wouldn't run it tho.
But you're also giving up a valuable coverage move(You really want to hit azumaril and suicune for a ton of damage) for a scenario that won't even happen every match. Plus, the inconsistency of pin missile isn't that big of a deal. Think of mamo, who always runs icicle spear over crash, because multi hit moves are actually pretty useful. And if anything, over a span of matches, megahorn will be the move that's more inconsistent because the opportunities for it to even need to be used will be very very few compared to pin missile.

But you're also giving up a valuable coverage move(You really want to hit azumaril and suicune for a ton of damage) for a scenario that won't even happen every match. Plus, the inconsistency of pin missile isn't that big of a deal. Think of mamo, who always runs icicle spear over crash, because multi hit moves are actually pretty useful. And if anything, over a span of matches, megahorn will be the move that's more inconsistent because the opportunities for it to even need to be used will be very very few compared to pin missile.
Hmm? If anything I'd run Megahorn over Pin Missile, 'cause there's no difference in damage overall, not Bullet Seed. And as I said, I agree it is really situational, but it could have its uses if one's so worried over the loss of Skill Link, so its use could be justified. You're underselling the value of immediate and realiable (dat accuracy tho ) damage output. But then, again, it's really circunstancial and Pin Missile, imo, should be the preferred move if you're not worried about having to wonder how many times it'll hit in case you're unfortunate enough to get your Hera burned.

Hmm? If anything I'd run Megahorn over Pin Missile, 'cause there's no difference in damage overall, not Bullet Seed. And as I said, I agree it is really situational, but it could have its uses if one's so worried over the loss of Skill Link, so its use could be justified. You're underselling the value of immediate and realiable (dat accuracy tho ) damage output. But then, again, it's really circunstancial and Pin Missile, imo, should be the preferred move if you're not worried about having to wonder how many times it'll hit in case you're unfortunate enough to get your Hera burned.
Are we talking about mega heracross? You literally should never think of taking pin missile off mega hera's moveset. like never ever. it's literally heracross's best move, if you take it off the moveset you're just crippling your heracross for no reason.

Are we talking about mega heracross? You literally should never think of taking pin missile off mega hera's moveset. like never ever. it's literally heracross's best move, if you take it off the moveset you're just crippling your heracross for no reason.
Yeah, I'm talking about Mega Hera. AAAAANNND I just realized the original post asked about replacing BULLET SEED, not Pin Missile. God, I feel like an idiot now.

Yeah, listen to those guys, not me, I'm being a donkey here. It's not viable at all.

Yeah I meant replacing bullet seed as opposed to pin missile, as a burned guts close combat still hits ridiculously hard against suicune and megahorn can be used if Hera cops a burn against Slowbro on the switch too. Having said that, you've convinced me that Mega Horn is too situational to warrant the change so thankyou for the discussion!

Hi guys of BattleSpot! I'm new to this metagame and so I started making a team but I still don't understand it quite well. I've been thinking of running a Blaziken + Mega Gengar combo, specially since I've wanted to use Mega Gengar since forever (aaaand he's banned on OU). I was wondering, can a non-mega SD Blaziken work? I know that the mega version generally outclasses it but I really wanted to play it alongside mega Gengar. So, the questions themselves are:

1) Does the combo/core I mentioned work? I thought about it after I read the analysis but I wanted your opinion.
2) Can SD Blaze work without mega evolving? Or is it better to go for the mixed set? I ask because breeding for Hidden Power is a pain.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this goes into another thread or something.

Hi guys of BattleSpot! I'm new to this metagame and so I started making a team but I still don't understand it quite well. I've been thinking of running a Blaziken + Mega Gengar combo, specially since I've wanted to use Mega Gengar since forever (aaaand he's banned on OU). I was wondering, can a non-mega SD Blaziken work? I know that the mega version generally outclasses it but I really wanted to play it alongside mega Gengar. So, the questions themselves are:

1) Does the combo/core I mentioned work? I thought about it after I read the analysis but I wanted your opinion.
2) Can SD Blaze work without mega evolving? Or is it better to go for the mixed set? I ask because breeding for Hidden Power is a pain.

Non mega Blaziken is perfectly viable with either focus sash or life orb- if running swords dance, focus sash is often preferred, and if running life orb, go mixed with hidden power ice, Hjk, flareblitz/overheat and protect. Mega Gengar works well trapping and removing things that threaten blaze, particularly bulky waters such as suicune and slowbro. Talonflame is a problem though so make sure you're prepared for that!

Hp breeding is easier if you get a good Ditto, cheap plug for the WiFi section.

Non mega Blaziken is perfectly viable with either focus sash or life orb- if running swords dance, focus sash is often preferred, and if running life orb, go mixed with hidden power ice, Hjk, flareblitz/overheat and protect. Mega Gengar works well trapping and removing things that threaten blaze, particularly bulky waters such as suicune and slowbro. Talonflame is a problem though so make sure you're prepared for that!
This is just my opinion but most SD Blaziken run Flare Blitz, which doesn't make for a good combo with Focus Sash. Focus Sash Blaziken is used more for the bulky Baton Pass set, not for SD. SD Blaziken would prefer Life Orb for more killing power after a boost rather than using a Focus Sash to successfully get a boost and possibly die to priority/recoil.

This is just my opinion but most SD Blaziken run Flare Blitz, which doesn't make for a good combo with Focus Sash. Focus Sash Blaziken is used more for the bulky Baton Pass set, not for SD. SD Blaziken would prefer Life Orb for more killing power after a boost rather than using a Focus Sash to successfully get a boost and possibly die to priority/recoil.
Although I believe SD Blaze can quite viably run Blaze Kick as a secondary stab to Hjk, I can't disagree with anything you've just said

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)