Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Hi thanks for the reply!

I went ahead and tweaked my team to this, as the old one took too long to set up before the opponents place all the status or Taunt on me.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Surf
- Tailwind
- Protect

Reasoning: pretty much standard Pelipper set. Hurricane to hit hard on the grass types that may wall rain team. I'm considering changing Tailwind to U-turn after testing on Battle Tree itself. With Kingdra and M Salamence, speed was not going to be a problem.

Kingdra @ Waterium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse

Again, a very standard Kingdra set. Waterium Z for a powerful nuke on any potential threats to Pelipper (i.e. any pokemons that might have Thunderbolt, this includes Froslass and Gardevoir. Hydro Pump will OHKO but you just want that extra safety accuracy yea. ) and this will go first. If you predict a Fake Out on Kingdra, then just use Protect on Pelipper and then nuke away.

Venusaur @ Grassium Z
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Energy Ball
- Frenzy Plant

My Venusaur is not meant to stall but to just outright sweep any water pokemons that survive my rain assault. Max HP investment to survive any ice moves coming, although its up for debate if putting into Special Defense would be better, but that requires re-breeding/berries so... Grassium Z in the case that I didn't use Waterium Z for Kingdra, but likely to change to Life Orb or even Choice Specs.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Return
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

I use a M-Salamence to cleanup should Kingdra or Pelipper go down (who normally takes down at least 1 or 2 by themselves). Rock Slide for irritating Hail Teams that pretty much walls my team due to weather war and effective against my whole team.

I think so far I'm doing very well with this team, lost to a Hail team as I didn't prioritize targets properly. Overall though, I want to look for alternatives to solve my Ice weakness issue. My typical play when I see Hail team is to switch Venusaur for Pelipper sort of as a sacrifice, then switch back Pelipper. Kingdra would still have taken down one pokemon with the Waterium Z nuke ideally (normally its the pokemon that did not induce the Snow Warning). However I think this isn't that foolproof so I need comments to improve on that situation the most. Walrein walls my entire team pretty much, it can and it will set up Stockpile on the first 2 turns, then proceeds to rest up then I'm done.

252+ SpA Kingdra Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Walrein in Rain: 81-96 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Walrein: 76-91 (35.1 - 42.1%) -- 89.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ferrothorn is also a typical threat to this team. I'm hesitant on introducing a Fire move due to the nature of the team with Rain and all. I don't really have access to Kartana since I'm on Moon although that would be a very quick answer to all my worries.

Also to Legolax, how do you get Hyper Voice on Salamence oo? Its not an egg move and not by level up.
252+ SpA Kingdra Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Walrein in Rain: 81-96 (37.5 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
You get Hyper Voice for Salamence from ORAS, with Tutor Moves.

The team looks good, maybe I wouldn't go with double Z move because unlike in BattleSpot formats, you aren't choosing which pokemons you play, but you are set on those 4.
I'd go with Life Orb on Venusaur, and if you can breed a Charizard Y, you could even try to go with a Chlorophyll Venusaur + Charizard Y backup plan when you see Pelipper + Kingdra don't do much against the first pokemons of the opposing team.
Venusaur with some extra speed is very scary with Life Orb.
Also this way you can get more weather control against Hail and other teams.

How's it going with the team? Which enemies gave you most trouble (other than hail)?

You get Hyper Voice for Salamence from ORAS, with Tutor Moves.

The team looks good, maybe I wouldn't go with double Z move because unlike in BattleSpot formats, you aren't choosing which pokemons you play, but you are set on those 4.
I'd go with Life Orb on Venusaur, and if you can breed a Charizard Y, you could even try to go with a Chlorophyll Venusaur + Charizard Y backup plan when you see Pelipper + Kingdra don't do much against the first pokemons of the opposing team.
Venusaur with some extra speed is very scary with Life Orb.
Also this way you can get more weather control against Hail and other teams.

How's it going with the team? Which enemies gave you most trouble (other than hail)?
I haven't play yet haha, still at work but have been reading through the different guides so far.

Breeding for a Charizard Y should be fine but a HA Venusaur would be hard as I got mine through GTS/Wonder Trade haha. But yeah, having another weather inducer is something I am definitely looking at, considering the Tyranitar option. Does pretty much the same stuff as what I want a Salamence to do. I was thinking having Midday Lycanroc to replace Venusaur to revenge kill with any appropriate rock moves. Essentially at this point, they will fight Water/Ice/Dragon of the opponent team so I think this would really work well with my other core.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Avalanche
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Punch

Lycanroc @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Accelerock
- Rock Slide
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Made it to 99 battles in Super Singles before falling to Cynthia's Mega Lucario on battle 100. If not for one flinch I probably would have made it, but oh well. I'm happy with how this team performed throughout.

Alolan Ninetales - Light Clay
Timid Nature - Snow Warning
- Aurora Veil
- Encore
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast

Most times I led with Aurora Veil. I was also able to use Encore to punish moves like Protect or the AI buffing themselves, which usually makes them switch out for some reason, and switching A-Ninetales in to shut off their weather back to Hail was fun, and it also did a nice job ruining Sturdy for Rock/Steel/Ground types who would otherwise be unaffected by Sandstorm weather, plus Focus Sash and the like. Freeze-Dry and Moonblast worked well enough as STABs.

Gyarados - Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature - Intimidate
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Intimidate is always nice, and whenever I got the opportunity I slipped in a Dragon Dance and mega-evolved to start sweeping. Mold Breaker was nice to cut through things like Rotom-W's Levitate, and mega-evolving threw off the AI throwing Rock or Psychic attacks at Gyarados. Waterfall and Crunch for STAB coverage.

Garchomp - Life Orb
Jolly Nature - Rough Skin
- Poison Jab
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

I ended up using Earthquake for the most part on this. Was a swift and hard hitter with Poison Jab for Fairies, Fire Fang for Grass-Bug/Steel types and Dragon Claw for Dragon types and general STAB. I did contemplate using Outrage but I never really needed it.

As for the losing battle, well it went fairly fast.

-Battle led with Alolan Ninetales vs Lucario.
-I switched to Garchomp, Lucario Mega-Evolved and it hit with Bullet Punch for a little damage.
-Next turn it KO'd Garchomp with Close Combat. Switched in Gyarados and Intimidated.
-Mega Evolved and tried to used Dragon Dance, it used Rock Slide as predicted... but it flinched me so I missed out on the DD. At this point I knew it was done pretty much.
-Next turn it KO'd with Close Combat since unfortunately I missed out on the DD and wasn't going to outspeed it now. Switched in Alolan Ninetales with nothing else left.
-Last turn it of course KO'd Alolan Ninetales with Bullet Punch.

In hindsight I probably should have switched in Gyarados first to soak up the incoming Bullet Punch and soften it up with Intimidate before moving to Garchomp maybe so that Garchomp wouldn't have died or perhaps I could have snuck in a second Intimidate later if that plan failed. But I don't know.

Last edited:
Ongoing doubles streak of 250. 7XLW-WWWW-WWW6-D55W

Kangaskhan's super easy to build around since she's stupid strong and has very few weaknesses or things she's bad at. Kangaskhan / Landorus-Therian / Tapu Fini / Zapdos is a common core in Smogon's doubles format that I more or less just copied into the tree. That Kangaskhan usually carries Seismic Toss but when I went to transfer from Emerald the game locked me out for 24 hours (I guess I'd been messing around with my DS's clock heh).

Team's super slow without a Tailwind up and no Psychic or Fairy resists means strong Pokémon like Choice Specs Latios and Gardevoir are potentially dangerous but we've pulled through so far. Kangaskhan can't touch Ghost-type Pokémon after evolution either.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick
- Fake Out
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 52 SpA / 4 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Wouldn't have a clue what the EV spreads are for. I think Fini's speed is for uninvested Rotom-A and Zapdos is for uninvested Landorus.
I'd post a QR link but Global Link's undergoing maintenance at the moment.
Frauded out about 272. Draco Meteor crit on Zapdos didn't help but there were many things I could've done better to mitigate things. I guess this is how one grows as a trainer.
Team link (I hope this works): https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-4392-8215

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So Boss, once this streak ends, given that it is Repto's QR Rental Team (or Vol.7 of it), will it be leaderboard-eligible or not?
You played it. So very much eligible. As always, good to acknowledge the creator in your writeup, but you're always careful to do that.

Perhaps I'll can tag them as QR Rentals and give the original creator's name in parenthesis too. That would make things very clear, while still letting people earn a spot on the leaderboard for playing the team well.

EDIT: see more formal policy note below.

Last edited:

NoCheese

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, updated through here. As always, let me know if there are any errors or omissions.

A couple of notes. First, do remember to include a proof video or photo with your streaks if you'd like to be listed on the leaderboard. A couple of streaks are missing such info. I've PMed the posters to follow up on that, but figure a reminder here is worthwhile as well.

Second, spurred by Smuckem, I've set a policy on QR rental team streaks. Such streaks ARE leaderboard eligible, and will not be kept in a separate category. However, make sure to properly identify that you are using a QR rental team in your writeup, and be sure to credit the creator. Additionally, in the leaderboard listing, such teams will be marked as being QR teams, with their creators' names listed in brackets.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thanks Boss. You may have just planted the seed for a seismic change in the leaderboard.

To celebrate, I would briefly like to bring up a Doubles stamp run I had been working on over the last couple of days. I wasn't looking to make waves or anything (I would argue that my two entries into the leaderboard have done that), just build around one of the crappier things to ever be featured on one of these facility threads.

Most of the team was the same near-copy of Team Sharkcanine I had used during Phase A:

Tapu Lele ("ThinkingCap") @
Nature: Modest
Ability: Psychic Surge
IVs: 31/xx/xx/31/31/xx (Bottle Capped)
EVs: 12 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball

Garchomp ("Laziness") @
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Veil
IVs: 31/31/31/31/0/29-30 (Bottle Capped)
- Earthquake {Tectonic Rage}
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Arcanine (M) ("JoshSpawn") @
Nature: Modest
IVs: 31/16-17/31/31/31/31
EVs: 228 HP / 156 Def / 36 SpA / 20 SpD / 68 Spe
- Burn Up
- Helping Hand
- Protect
- Toxic

For the purposes of this run, I pulled Garchomp from the lead position, giving me the opportunity to take care of Ice-types and those packing Ice coverage, Intimidators, and opposing Dragons. Who took its place?

"BF615" (Togekiss) (M) (Lvl.100) @ Scope Lens
Ability: Serene Grace
IVs: "Above-average potential" (Bottle Capped)
EVs: 252 HP/ 6 Def / 252 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- AncientPower
- Silver Wind
- Ominous Wind

The older bastards on here will recognize this--it's Imperfect Gen IV Frontier Togekiss2. Almost the same idea as the original, use Serene Grace and the 24 non-STAB PP to pick up a boost. The key difference here is Modest-->Bold, trading the ability to fully exploit boosting power for a little more overall bulk. Many thanks to LegoFigure11 & BlackoutSLM for answering my original request for a Togetic with the Gen IV moves included.

The main goal here was simply to see how far this proven core trio could take a sorry excuse for a facility set (although given that it's a Set 2, that's no surprise). What I found in the course of the run was that Lele was powerful enough to allow for a fairly straightforward double-targeting tactic with Togekiss--under most circumstances, the latter would finish off a weakened opponent and hopefully pick up a boost. Despite sitting only at Lvl.50 100 Speed, it was typically bulky enough to hit a shot and get at least one kill in or dent a Strudymon/Sash holder. This included several supereffective hits, both STAB and otherwise. In fact, its suckiness contributed to the team, as for some reason it drew a lot of attention and consequently would serve as a punching bag while Lele went to work. When Lele want down, it allowed weakened foes to be wiped out by Garchomp & EQ (freely being able to launch EQ is something not part of Team Sharkcanine, a small secondary benefit). ON the occasions where Togekiss went down first, it gave Arcanine a switch-in to start giving Lele a Helping Hand, both literally and to hit certain bulky targets with Toxic. Air Slash was used far less than you would think or recommend--there were a surprising number of opportunities to use supereffective coverage via the boosting moves. Steel-types would be the natural enemy of a Togekiss/Lele lead pair, but they were stupidly rare on this run, and when they appeared Lele was still capable of weakening them enough to give the incoming Garchomp/Arcanine an easier time. The one who was a constant nuisance was Bisharp, and that was mainly because it exclusively targeted Lele during this run. The "weakening enough" strategy was a little less applicable here, as targeting it really meant chipping away at it with Togekiss until Garchomp came out, unless a non-threat was alongside it (in which case Moonblast/SIlver Wind would leave it at death's door). As a backup foe it was a non-factor, as by then Lele would typically have done its job and could safely be sacked or switched into Arcanine.

With that said, Wter-types were still an issue, as often times they were paried with something that would require more of Lele's attention, leaving the free to do one or two things before dying, and those with Ice coverage were common enough to be priority targets, which would give something less threatening but with setup capabilities or coverage on the backups a chance to possibly do some damage. While it was surprisingly hard for those for anti-Flying coverage to kill Togekiss, it was an ever-present issue, as it was often powerful enough to make safe switch-ins extremely difficult (except for Garchomp into Rock Slides). Due to Psychic and Togekiss' bulk, Poison was generally not an issue. I was blessed with Toxicroak, an easy foe for this team, being a frequent opponent. Trainer-wise, after Anabel at Battle 10, Grimsley was the only special foe to pop up, and this was streamlined the road to 50 greatly (Dazzling Gleam to victory!). A more subtle issue was the lack of OHKOs Psychic was scoring; this whole run was another reminder that, for all of the experience I've racked up in facilities up to this point, RUN YOUR CALCS is still a step I need to take if I'm going to take things to another level leaderboard-wise.

The last bit of Battle before the Doubles stamp fully displayed the yin and yang of using such a "three studs, one stump" team.
- Battle #48, vs. Xenophon, (Breloom4/Virizion?/Rotom-Mow3/Florges2) -- When everything goes right: The leads feasted on salad, with the garnish of The Worst Facility Set on top. Xenophon may be the weakest Veteran the battle facilities have ever produced. LXNW-WWWW-WWW6-GJRC
- Battle #49, vs. Jo (Uxie3/Vanilluxe4/Lapras4/Milotic4) -- When a lot goes wrong: a bevy of threats to Garchomp, my first encounter with Uxie3 (so the set was itself a bevy of surprises), and a lot of opposing bulk turned this a war of attrition, devolving into a bevy of stallish turns where Arcanine & Milotic4 traded shots. This battle sealed this Arcanine set's case as the second best bulkymon I've ever used in facilities play. KSXG-WWWW-WWW6-GJR8
- Legend Battle (Rhyperior3/Alakazam3/Exeggutor2/Aerodactyl4) -- of course the Anti-Sharkanine (100% more Tapu, 200% more shark!) appears and tries to stop this team from crossing the "finish line". Fortunately, unlike in previous encounters with it, this time I reacted to it appropriately. It helped that Rhyperior3 spent most of its turns launching Metal Burst into nothing, allowing the team to pick off the rest of the opposition with ease. This team has made me all the more determined to pursue my next "Frontier Project I Badger/Coax Others into Capturing/Breeding for Me", Subway/Maison Rhyperior3 (the Tree Rhyperior3 is something I may be able to get a little more easily). S38W-WWWW-WWW6-GJR9

The loss occurred at Battle #54, vs. Reina (Samurott4/Delphox4/Primarina3/Torterra3) -- Not double-targeting something Turn 1 (thus losing Togekiss immediately) was my first major mistake: not looking up Primarina3's set (thus costing me Garchomp) was the second one. An easy battle that I basically threw away because I simply wasn't paying enough attention (don't do facilities at 6 AM when your sleep cycle is in flux, folks).

Still a little achievement: carrying a facility set to success is neat, carrying a Frontier set to success is fist-bumping good, carrying a Frontier Set 2 to success is worth drinking a Sobe for (Sobe=tremendous). There are several directions one could go from here:
- Build a better/more complimentary team around Togekiss2
- Use better Gen IV Frontier sets in Tree
- Use a better Togekiss set--any ideas?

Problem with all this is...as you may have noticed, D34N has posted his QR team, and it looks quite tempting...

Last edited:
Hello everyone! This post is regarding the super multi battle win streak in which my friend (Golden_helix13) and I reached a total of 69 *wink wink* wins in a row.

Some quick backstory on the team. We started to play Multi in ORAS and ended up continuing in S/M and we learned about Araquanid and my friend thought of combining its ability Water Bubble with my favorite pokemon, Gyarados, through the use of Entrainment. This was to make Gyarados truly the monster it was meant to be, but it ended up actually working out with a fully functioning team. After some trial and error, Garchomp became the obvious backup for Gyarados on predictable electric attack switch-ins and my friend decided to try out that new Tapu Lele, unaware of her power at the time. The team was much more successful than we anticipated and our run went pretty far considering how this got thrown together from a desire to make Gyarados a God, but it was pretty awesome until some unexpected Alolan mons cut our run short.

The basic idea early on was to use entrainment on a dancing Gyarados who would become insanely strong, but later this became less important as we focused on protect/switches nullifying attacks and raw power from the hard-hitting team. The electric attacks being drawn to Gyarados 99/100 times (despite also being capable of OHKOing Araquanid at times) helped give us free turns through the use of protect and Garchomp absorbing hits as well. In the end we noticed a vulnerability to rock slide flinching, which nearly cost us our big streak a couple of times until our streak was ended by a miscalculation about an opponent's moveset.

The losing battle, #70, was against Plumeria and Sina because of a lack of knowledge on Oranguru's moveset and both of us underestimating Lurantis's power with a quick claw and Solar Blade. Oranguru hit with Thunder to murder Gyarados, unknowingly dancing without Mega-ing to avoid a potential grass attack from Lurantis, while Lurantis set up Sunny Day and Araquanid went after Oranguru. The Solar Blade that no longer needed a charge turn proved to be our undoing after the quick claw of Lurantis let it smash Araquanid and Garchomp as the battle got out of hand with Tapu Lele unable to mount a comeback due to Salazzle coming out later on.

It was a pretty fun ride and we've tried to duplicate the run since with the addition of Wide Guard to replace the lesser used Entrainment since Rock Slide is on half the Tree's pokemon, and became incredibly frustrating. We haven't had much time recently due to life and whatnot, but we're hoping to get the team rolling into triple digits soon.

PS: Why does Breloom have Rock Slide?

Ungoliant (Araquanid) (F) @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Protect
- Entrainment

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Quetzalcoatl (Gyarados-Mega) (M) @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 190 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Xiuhcoatl (Garchomp) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Protect
IMG_4450 (1).JPG

Smuckem

PS: Why does Breloom have Rock Slide?
- It's an unspoken rule that every Fighting-type will get Rock coverage to 'surprise' opposing Flying-types
- Breloom3 needs this more than most Fighters, double weakness to Flying and whatnot
- It's Jolly, gotta take advantage of that flinch chance somehow
- As you noted, Rock Slide annoys you, and as it turns out the Tree hates you, so why not?

Last edited:
- It's an unspoken rule that every Fighting-type will get Rock coverage to 'surprise' opposing Flying-types
- Breloom3 needs this more than most Fighters, double weakness to Flying and whatnot
- It's Jolly, gotta take advantage of that flinch chance somehow
- As you noted, Rock Slide annoys you, and as it turns out the Tree hates you, so why not?
(Other half of Revan's team here)

It does seem like the tree loves to do what you hate. We just found it funny how EVERYTHING has rock slide access all of a sudden and uses it against us haha. Like Breloom and Greninja having it, totally comes out of left field.

Currently at 94 wins in a Super Doubles, using a team of Porygon2, Hariyama, Araquanid and Incineroar.

I really want Intimidate to be released as soon as possible just to finish off the team but Blaze comes in handy every now and again. Main reason I chose Incineroar was another physical attacker that doesn't care for burns, as well as another Fake Out user just in case Trick Room runs out (Darkest Lariat has also been clutch since if I'm right, it doesn't care for evasion strategies? If so, he's been damn good. Araquanid Hydro Vortex is just brutal, although I'm a little unsure on the rest of the moves. Liquidation, check. Protect, check. Leech Life, check. Poison Jab? Only one I'm unsure off to be honest, although it's come in handy against Fairies (not that Hariyama's Heavy Slam does the dirty). P2 runs Ice Beam and Thunderbolt for coverage.

I'll post the full sets and proof when I inevitably lose due to my own stupidity (not submitting as ongoing or ended yet).

EDIT: Of course I just have to lose as I post. Haxed but gee, maybe if I had doubled switched and tried to solo with Hariyama and Porygon2 it could have worked, especially since they had double pixies in back, could have Knock Off spam but alas. Dragon Rush and Focus Blast both hitting (and flinching with Dragon Rush to boot).

Submitting a streak of 95 for Super Doubles

Losing battle: 9KNW-WWWW-WWW6-HE4Y

Sets:

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EV's:244 HP / 156 Def / 36 SpA / 68 SpD
Nature: Quiet
IV's: 31/2-3/31/31/31/0
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Trick Room

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EV's: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Def
Nature: Brave
IV's: 31/31/31/31/31/0
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Fake Out

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Blaze
EV's: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Nature: Adamant
IV's: 31/31/31/31/31/31
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- Fake Out
- Protect

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EV's 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Nature: Brave
IV's: 31/31/31/31/31/0
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Thinking about it more, I don't know how I would have done that last battle. Mega Salamence would have most likely targeted the Hariyama since it had Flying STAB. Maybe I could have sacc'd and let Porygon2 try and sweep but with Uxie I don't think that would be possible.

Overall, a fun team and I think with some EV tweaks I think I could get to 100.

Last edited:
First post on Smogon. I've gotten to a streak of 59 wins in Singles so far with my team, and hoping to get more with it. The team consists of:

Mega Salamence (Lorenzo) @ Salamencite
Nature: Jolly
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
Attacks
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Earthquake

The leading man of my team, Lorenzo, back in Generation 6, was the main reason I got up to 235 wins in the Battle Maison Super Doubles in the first place, by essentially copying Se Jun Park's Pachirisu strategy. After struggling in the Tree's Doubles, I've decided to just copy the Salamence/Aegislash strategy in Singles, but mostly the one the PGL had, with the CS Tapu Lele (more on that later).
As you know, he leads in with an Intimidate to weaken the opponent, and several things can occur based on the following factors:
- If Lorenzo is facing a neutral/strong matchup (read: anything not carrying Ice-, Rock-, Dragon- or Fairy- type moves, something like Thunder Wave/Will-o-Wisp, or the opponent is weak to Flying-type attacks/weak defenses), I can just go in for the Dragon Dance and sweep. If Lorenzo dies after a successful sweep, no problem. That's where either Morgana or Aragon come in to take over and clean up the battle.
- If Lorenzo is facing a weak matchup, like say, an Ice-type, or a Rock-type, I can switch into Aragon or Morgana, Aragon can absorb the Ice-/Rock-type attacks like a pro, while Tapu Lele's good natural Special Defense allows for Morgana to come in to weaken opponents fast and quickly.

Tapu Lele (Morgana) @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31/x/31/HT/31/HT
Attacks
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

Oh god, getting this one took forever to do so in the first place. At least I found that EV spread that meant possible HP Fire. But anyways:
Morgana is great for absorbing Dragon-type attacks and killing them in return. Her main role is simple however; she exists to spam Psychic and to revenge kill opponents. HP Fire for Scizor, Ferrothorn, and the like, Shadow Ball for opposing Psychic-types, and Moonblast for the dragons.
What else can I say but, she's good.

Aegislash (Aragon) @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
Ability: Stance Change
Attacks
King's Shield
Swords Dance
Sacred Sword
Shadow Sneak

The other reason for the Battle Maison Doubles 240 win streak. Nothing changed. Now I know what you're thinking: But Panzer, you already have a Tapu Lele on your team, why does your Aegislash have Shadow Sneak for? Glad you asked. Swords Dance and King's Shield can be used while Psychic Terrain is up, and when it disappears, hopefully, Aragon can come in for the kill. I do have to be careful and not misclick Shadow Sneak while PT is up. Standard affair really. Sacred Sword does heavy damage, Shadow Sneak can do so as well, King's Shield because duh, and Swords Dance because duh.
Also, I can easily just weaken physical opponents by taking advantage of the AI. AI uses Stone Edge/Rock Slide? Aragon tanks it (bonus points if the user is the opponent's lead). Opponent uses Earthquake in response? Switch to Lorenzo if not Mega Evolved, lowering opponent's attack even further. Rinse and repeat until ready to set up.

Weaknesses (in no particular order):
Thunder Wave/Will-O-Wisp: Despite the nerf, these 2 attacks can still hurt. Mainly because of the former's chance on missing the important turns, the latter because the burn effects weren't nerfed (although Morgana can absorb them just fine).
Porygon2: Access to Shadow Ball, Blizzard/Ice Beam, and Thunder Wave. That is all.
Swagger/Confuse Ray/Flatter: Not much a weakness than it is an annoyance, I'm forced to constantly switch out my Pokemon every single time this occurs.
Mega Mawile: Sucker Punch is not fun. Morgana can alleviate this if she sets up Psychic Terrain though.
Super Luck Scope Lens Drapion spamming Cross Poison/Night Slash: ...no.

Any suggestions on how to improve my team?

EDIT: First, I managed to get 76 wins now. Second. Error for my Doubles Maison record. It's 235.

Last edited:

Smuckem

Frauded out about 272. Draco Meteor crit on Zapdos didn't help but there were many things I could've done better to mitigate things. I guess this is how one grows as a trainer.
Team link (I hope this works): https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-4392-8215
Can vouch for this team being highly effective, as the defensive synergy it offers and the bulkiness of the Bold backups makes switches a breeze. This is also the most I've ever used all of the team members other than Tapu Fini, and after being fairly lukewarm to the appeal of Landorus, I'm now sold on both Formes forever. To this point, the only issues I have run into are having to play carefully around the Rotoms & Lake Guardians (have to be worn down or have to give MegaKhan enough time to go after them) and the Punk Guys (Mass Intimidate). Have had only two close battles the entire streak, the team is that solid.

Give it a shot, you will be very pleased with the results! I know I have been...

Side note: Cresselia is a step below the lake guardians in terms of annoyingness. While Fake Out and Misty Surge basically shut down Set 2 & 3, and none of the sets can really hurt the team offensively, it's virtually impossible to hit them hard enough to stop them from setting up whatever they want to do, and it's extremely difficult to stop Set 4 from setting TR.

EDIT: VERY pleased! Holy shit this team is good.
IMG_0482.JPG IMG_0483.JPG

Last edited:
Has anyone got any ideas for the best Pokemon to bring to Multi battles?

I think my best partner right now is Bellboy Zero, who leads Beedrill-3 (Mega) and has Gyarados-3 (Wacan) in the back.

My best streak is around 42 with a Mega Gyarados and Groundium-Z Garchomp but I always seem to fall short

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Intimidate
Jolly
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Garchomp @ Groundium-Z
Rough Skin
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Outrage
- Flamethrower

Any ideas on better partners for Zero?

Smuckem

Beedrill3 is fine, but Tauros3, Staraptor3, and Absol3 would all be more consistent than Gyarados3 (who will screw you at a critical moment by DD'ing at a bad time). There are other good choices,but they all will stack a Fire weakness with Megadrill.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any QR codes for rental for Singles/Doubles Tree? (didn't find any topic for that yet)
Sadly I lost my game data last week and I don't have any competitive pokemon yet (managed to finish the game tho, and thank god I had my whole pokedex in Pokebank, lol).

Does anyone know if you have to rescan the QR code every time you enter the Tree, or if it saves it until you finish the streak?

Does anyone have any QR codes for rental for Singles/Doubles Tree? (didn't find any topic for that yet)
Sadly I lost my game data last week and I don't have any competitive pokemon yet (managed to finish the game tho, and thank god I had my whole pokedex in Pokebank, lol).

Does anyone know if you have to rescan the QR code every time you enter the Tree, or if it saves it until you finish the streak?

Here's my doubles team hopefully this link works

If not, I'll try and fetch the QR code.

Didn't get over 100 annoyingly but it should do well for up to battle 80-90 and give you a nice amount of BP (and a stamp)

Smuckem

We have several scattered throughout the thread, it seems. Perhaps with the boss giving the official word on QR usage, it is time to compile these for easy access. I will get to work flipping through this thread and have all of these codes merged into one listing for future use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semi-related note, one particular Trainer's QR code has now garnered me unbridled success. I have now taken D34N's Doubles QR team to 273 wins! Since he has only taken this team to 272, I'm hoping this can rile him up enough to take up the challenge again and push harder.

Unofficially, this would put me in 11th place currently on the Doubles leaderboard. I'm kinda hesitant to keep pushing at the moment, though--not too far ahead of me are two people I respect and admire (and one person I don't know at all), and assuming I don't slip up, I feel a little bad about having to pass them all by, given it's not my team. We'll see, I guess.

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
Posting a streak of 958 wins in Super Doubles. Try out the QR team: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-48AB-83C6

Lee/Koko/Scizor/Latios
Deliani (Hitmonlee) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Protect

The Kokko-o (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 12 HP / 20 Def / 220 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot

Camanis (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Protect

EV'd for 107 Speed to outspeed uninvested Rotom formes sitting at 106. Scizorite over Life Orb for bulk and higher Speed; LO Scizor would also lose out on 10 HP due to its lower Speed, which on top of LO recoil makes it too frail for this team.

SilvrCloud (Latios) @ Dragonium-Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 SpA / 252 Spe / 20 HP / 12 Def / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Surf
- Protect
Streak proof around 2 minutes in the video, showing that the first battle and the loss is #959.
I had a pretty bad time getting started in the Tree after Bank was released. I tried Greninja/Tapu Koko/Mega Salamence/Aegislash, similar to the Maison team but had a lot of trouble with it. I then tried a Lv1 Whimsicott team, which also didn't go very well. Out of new ideas I settled for trying for fun teams to get more experience in the Tree with, starting with the Hitmonlee/Mega Salamence team I used in the Maison as a base. Since Latios had gotten a new toy in Devastating Drake - the perfectly accurate Dragon Gem Draco Meteor it lacked even in its glory days - I wanted to try it in Mega Salamence's place. Keeping Scizor in the back, I brought in Specs Koko as the last Pokémon to replace Sylveon from the Maison team, since I didn't think Tailwind would be viable anymore and Koko has the Speed to function outside it as a nuke.

Initially I ran Latios with Draco Meteor/Psyshock/Dragon Pulse/Protect in the lead position alongside Hitmonlee. LO Scizor I swapped out for trying Scizorite after a few battles - I wasn't sure if Mega Scizor's damage output would be sufficient, but the extra bulk proved to be valuable quickly and I stuck with Scizorite.

After losing with Latios in the lead, I reordered the team to lead with Specs Koko instead and retain the Z-Nuke for cleanup, rather than the strongest opening move. This worked effectively and Koko's weaknesses are also well covered by the back-ups. Additionally, activating Electric Terrain on Turn 1 and having both Pokémon on the ground makes the frontline immune to sleep.

I ran into Metagross3 a few times and got really scared by its Explosion having a chance to OHKO both Koko and Latios - for this reason I made a slight EV tweak on both, to survive this attack outside CHs with Latios and 15/16 of the time outside CHs with Koko.

The final change came after losing in the 400s against a Sand team - GG Unit suggested Surf as a coverage move, and I changed the set to drop Psyshock/Dragon Pulse to make room for Surf and Psychic. Surf is somewhat niche, but it provides better tools against Ground-types, Mega Steelix, Mega Camerupt and Sand in general which it otherwise struggles to address outside Devastating Drake, which is only usable once.
Just what makes Hitmonlee work so well this generation? Ut's been the same Pokémon with the same moves and ability since 4th generation but a few things really clicked for it in the Tree - firstly a greater threat of opposing Electric-types when using Tapu Koko emphasizing Limber and a good Electric match-up compared to other Fake Out users and Mat Block Greninja, an overall power creep with Megas and Z-Moves leaving its low Defense relatively less of a disadvantage, and its favorite partner Latios taking center stage again with Dragonium-Z. Sucker Punch's nerf hurts as well - it now misses out on guaranteed OHKOs on Mega Alakazam, Gengar, and Espeon and the lower power overall is noticeable. But the changes around Hitmonlee really bring out the best in it, I can't think of any other Fake Out lead that really excels against Electrics that Koko powers up the way it does.

Dragonium-Z Latios is just very strong. Off of base 110 Speed, Latios Devastating Drake is one of the fastest high-powered Z-Moves with wide coverage, and the damage does not disappoint. It also covers Koko's Ground-weakness to some extent with Levitate, and has its own Dragon-, Dark and Bug-weaknesses alleviated by the Tapu. It doesn't quite have the Scizor defensive core any more, but the power of Devastating Drake more than makes up for it and I think Latios is as strong as it's ever been, if not in its prime time much like Hitmonlee.

Mega Scizor's not something I've used in Doubles or Triples before, but the added bulk really amplifies its effectiviness as the glue against Trick Room, Sandstorm, and serving as the only team member with longevity. Hitmonlee and Tapu Koko are both made of glass, and Latios is not exactly a tank after generations of power creep either, but Scizor gone Mega can stand up to the likes of Mega Metagross and Mega Kangaskhan and survive long enough to stall out the brunt of unfavorable weather.

The biggest threats are foes that disable Hitmonlee's Focus Sash; compared to other Sash holders, Hitmonlee's low Defense leaves it open for a easy OHKO, making Sandstorm, Hail and Mega Kangaskhan dangerous to lead against. Rocky Helmet, contact abilities other than Static, and faster Fake Out will also get it shut down - Togedemaru in particular is a menacing foe that may carry any or all of these depending on set, possessing Spiky Shield and any of Lightning Rod, Sturdy, or Iron Barbs to punish most things Lee and Koko do, while being difficult to damage with Latios and Scizor outside Superpower as well. Lightning Rod is bad news for any Electric lead - against Sceptile, Manectric, Rhyperior, Marowak and Togedemaru (and any I forgot) it's crucial not to click the Electric-type move. Koko being in the 2nd slot means that the AI doesn't switch in Lightning Rod/Volt Absorb as a reaction to Electric-type attacks (quirk researched a few pages back).

I've been slacking off on posting this streak and writing about it, and the write-up's still not really done but I figure it's time to post already. Losing close to 1000 was a bummer, even if the team exceeded my expectations and ended up being Hitmonlee's best showing so far, even after Sucker Punch being nerfed this generation. The battle videos in the YouTube video show a good selection of battles, I think.

Last edited:
We have several scattered throughout the thread, it seems. Perhaps with the boss giving the official word on QR usage, it is time to compile these for easy access. I will get to work flipping through this thread and have all of these codes merged into one listing for future use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semi-related note, one particular Trainer's QR code has now garnered me unbridled success. I have now taken D34N's Doubles QR team to 273 wins! Since he has only taken this team to 272, I'm hoping this can rile him up enough to take up the challenge again and push harder.

Unofficially, this would put me in 11th place currently on the Doubles leaderboard. I'm kinda hesitant to keep pushing at the moment, though--not too far ahead of me are two people I respect and admire (and one person I don't know at all), and assuming I don't slip up, I feel a little bad about having to pass them all by, given it's not my team. We'll see, I guess.
I was thinking about qr teams today too by chance. I've had a pretty tough time in the tree so far compared to the maison so haven't posted anything useful.

I saw smuckems use of a qr team and thought that having a central qr team database would be a great reference for people new to the tree and for experienced players wanting to try a new strategy without needing to breed the team. The issue would be compiling the list for those already posted but it would be great to have it on the first page.

Ramble over.

If you're enjoying this much success, I say keep at it. I don't plan on challenging again for a long while for a number of reasons, some to do with the game and some unrelated. You're obviously enjoying yourself and there's no reason to stop there if you're content to do more.

Deep down part of me wants to wait for a rumored DPP remake or some "next" game to see if they bring back triples, which I enjoyed a lot more than doubles. Oranguru and Hariyama make such an ironclad core that I had a really hard time bringing myself to use any of my others. Silly when you consider the many hours that went into all the breeding, but eh.

If you're enjoying this much success, I say keep at it. I don't plan on challenging again for a long while for a number of reasons, some to do with the game and some unrelated. You're obviously enjoying yourself and there's no reason to stop there if you're content to do more.

Deep down part of me wants to wait for a rumored DPP remake or some "next" game to see if they bring back triples, which I enjoyed a lot more than doubles. Oranguru and Hariyama make such an ironclad core that I had a really hard time bringing myself to use any of my others. Silly when you consider the many hours that went into all the breeding, but eh.
Man, I sure do hope so. King's Shield and Wide Guard not sharing a failure rate makes Aegislash in triples so much more watertight in general, and with oranguru in the mix... delicious, if the darn processor on the 3DS will handle it. Has trouble with multis, although i spose that's 8 models in total, 4 trainers and 4 mons, while trips is also 8 models, 2 trainers and 6 mons. I'm no expert in how models are drawn in SM, so I'm remaining optimistic but won't be surprised if trips is kill. (at least till pokemon for the the next, beefier, system comes out. GF has a way with making outdated hardware work hard for new pokemon games, BW SM)

NoCheese

Deliani (Hitmonlee) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Protect
Lead Hitmonlee making it to 958 wins makes me unreasonably happy! Sure, in Maison triples, a good team could hide an unusual Pokemon in the back and still do just fine, but as a lead in Tree Doubles!? That's just awesome. Darn good show, as always.

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
Lead Hitmonlee making it to 958 wins makes me unreasonably happy! Sure, in Maison triples, a good team could hide an unusual Pokemon in the back and still do just fine, but as a lead in Tree Doubles!? That's just awesome. Darn good show, as always.
It surprised me too, Hitmonlee's been the same Pokémon with the same moves and ability since 4th generation but a few things really clicked for it in the Tree - firstly a greater threat of opposing Electric-types when using Tapu Koko emphasizing Limber and a good Electric match-up compared to other Fake Out users and Mat Block Greninja, an overall power creep with Megas and Z-Moves leaving its low Defense relatively less of a disadvantage, and its favorite partner Latios taking center stage again with Dragonium-Z. Sucker Punch's nerf hurts as well - it now misses out on guaranteed OHKOs on Mega Alakazam, Gengar, and Espeon and the lower power overall is noticeable. But the changes around Hitmonlee really bring out the best in it, I can't think of any other Fake Out lead that really excels against Electrics that Koko powers up the way it does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)