Battle Tree Discussion and Records

If it's that Metagross, I would suggest finding a different partner, lol. Or maybe a Helping Hand Musharna with Telepathy for assisted suicide so at least it goes out with a big bang.

PikaCuber i want a team adapted in Super Single with Mega Charizard Y . I badly formulated my question sorry. :(
In that case, assuming that you'll lead with Mega Charizard Y, you'll need something to switch into fast Rock type moves aimed at Charizard. Your back line probably won't be in the sun for very long, so I wouldn't build around the sun specifically. I can see a Ground type like Garchomp working in the back, since Charizard can deal with Ice types. I don't remember if they resist Rock types though. Steel types can work in that spot as well, just be careful for Fire types, especially when the sun is out. Grass types can also basically do the same thing, but doing a better job of covering Charizard's weaknesses. If you end up picking a Chlorophyll user for that Grass type, run Protect on Charizard, so you can scout out your opponents and set up the sun for the Chlorophyll user.

Third Pokemon will really just depend on what your second is. Just try to have ways to deal with the type weaknesses that your team will have. Preferably, having one of those Pokemon be able to stall out those opponents is even better.

My dream team to reach 30 win for moment i take a break on this, i leave you my analysis of my team. ;)

Garchomp
Lvl: 94
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
Item: Focus Sash
Stat: 337/337/212/165/193/
IV: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Ev: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Move 1: Sword Dance
Move 2: Outrage
Move 3: Rock Tomb
Move 4: Earthquake

Yeah is my suicide lead with the Focus Sash allow to hold on 1 HP while i place my Sword Dance against an ice type attack but the Bruxish-3 with Ice Fang put a 2HKO.Good Rock Tomb can OHKO Volcarona and Charizard some any pokemon ice type hold this Rock Tomb +2 and Earthquake and Outrage allow to sweep and to do make big damage.

------>

Charizard ------> Mega Charizard Y
Lvl:100
Ability: Blaze ------> Drought
Nature: Timid
Item: Charizardite Y
Stat: 297/173/191/317/207/328
Mega Stat: 360/209/191/417/330/328
IV: 31/0/30/31/31/31
Ev: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Move 1: Fire Blast
Move 2: Solar Beam
Move 3: HP Ice
Move 4: Protect

Charizard is weak x4 against rock type in short i choice Protect in case like example Lycanroc Midday with his Z-Polirock and Accelrock the priority move. Its Advantage this is well with Drought is that the damage water type attack are reduced by the sun but Politoed Drizzle can break my Chlorophyll sweep is my disadvantage.

Venusaur
Lvl:100
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Modest
Item: Life Orb
Stat: 329/179/202/327/236/231
IV: 31/30/31/30/31/30
EV: 112HP/252 SpA/144 Spe
Move 1: Giga Drain
Move 2: Sludge Bomb
Move 3: Sleep Powder
Move 4: HP Fire

My Last pokemon is Venusaur yeah the Chlorophyll Sweeper. I nearly lost my chain by an Weavile and i used Sleep Powder and next turn Wealive have to asleep
HP fire and i really nearly to start all over.

1 hours 30min or 2 hours for write all...

My dream team to reach 30 win for moment i take a break on this, i leave you my analysis of my team. ;)
(snip)
Not an expert on this, but relying on Fire Blast and Sleep Powder can give you trouble on the long run. And you might want to consider replacing Venusaur for another mon, since it can't really enjoy Sun for many turns.

Not enough for a leaderboard but just want to share my results.

Got to level 65 in super single with only one team (didn't switch to another team)
Proof:

https://cl.ly/2l080P3X0D0c

The team i'm using is the following:

Dragonite @ Multiscale
Item: Lum Berry
IV: 3 IV perfect (Att, Def, SpD)
EV: 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- EarthQuake

Aegislash @ Stance Change
Nature: Quiet
Item: Weakness Policy
IV: 3 IV perfect (HP, Def, SpD) (unfortunately my Spe is not 0, sometimes it works out in my favor though)
EV: 252 HP / 252 SpA
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Kangaskhan @ Parental Bond (or scrappy before mega)
Nature: Adamant
Item: Kangaskhanite
IV: 3 IV perfect (HP, SpD, Def)
EV: 252 HP / 252 Att
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Return
- Sucker Punch

Thanks to the community as this team really got inspired by a lot of other guides, to be honest, this is prob one of the guides I found online in another spot which I forgot.

The amazing property of this team is its type coverage based on the teams I met throughout. And not only that, this team is the most consistent team I ever had, as each pokemon here is both strong in attack and strong in defense as well, and it works out pretty nicely going against a lot of other teams a lot of which has strong counter to this team.

First thing I would like to admit, is that Mega Kangaskhan surprised me, and she is really the VIP here in this team. She saved my team so many times from complete destruction, when aegislash and dragonite are clearly not the best opponent to a lot of pokemon that outright counter them completely.

This team can blaze through almost 90% of all the battles with just dragonite if you know what you are doing. The rest of the 10% are the ones you really need to be very careful about.

Strategy

I have tried so many teams in this leaderboard, and encountered a lot of teams ranging from stalling, strong in attack, all fairies, all electrics, status team, curse team, however unfortunately none of the teams could help me get over 20+ consistently. Only this team I can say with confidence that I can easily reproduce and get back to 50+ without switching the team up at all.

This team is very easy to think as well, as it has a strong and dominating item setup to make most of the team easy to counter if you know what teams they are going for, and what strategy they are also going for by predicting the moves they are going to make.

The general strategy is to make sure you never allow them to attack at all especially after DD. That's it!

Therefore the general tactics in my book for this team is usually:
1. Figure out if the first pokemon is either status spread pokemon, or a priority move pokemon, or pokemon with super effective hits (ice, dragon, fairy, rock, etc)
2. Figure out if I can take the first hit with multiscale and if it is worth taking a hit since you need the HP to take the rest of the team as well and need to consider surprises. You should not sacrifice any pokemon just because it has status boost in the team, as each of them has the ability to turn things around after switching out and back in.
3. Still with dragonite, DD, then proceed to sweep with outrage (surprisingly it works for pokemon even if it is not super effective.) Only use fire punch or EQ for bulky grass pokemon. (e.g. ferrothrone)
4. You are bound to met a fairy pokemon or choice scarf pokemon faster than you or pokemon with protect that will stop your outrage. I highly encourage you to not push too hard if the pokemon will kill you with super effective, and better to be handled by another mon, as the AI will be smarter and switch things up as well (more often after fight 30+)

Rince and repeat, almost all battles will either be you DD then you sweep, it is very consistent and very reliable.

Checks and counters

I guess most people here are veteran, so I don't need to write anymore here but for newcomers trying this team out, I would like to give some advice.
There are lot of counters, but instead of giving you a list, and never tell you how to counter them, I would like to give a list of strategy you can do to go around the counters.

1. Make a educated guess, predict what the pokemon will do. Practice until you can reliable guess what is going to happen and predict almost all of AI's move (will it attack? or will it switch? or it will status you?)
2. Counter by switching to the right pokemon to do the job for you. A lot of times is to switch into pokemon that doesn't get super effective. (or if you like being risky, try aegislash and hope they attack you first so you get weakness policy activated for a awesome revenge kill!)
3. That's it!

P.S. I'm surprised that haxorus is faster than dragonite, so if you meet him I highly suggest you switch into aegislash and don't hit it head on.

Comparison to other teams

What I really like about this team are the following:
1. This team rocks! As it does not relying on gimmick tricks to help you survive, as this team is based on you already dominating and proceed to blaze through the rest of the team with some backup options to make sure super effective teams against you you can still turn things around very easily with a very good defense team switch in (aegislash + kang synergy is awesome) with items that helps you instead of hanging on the hope that you will turn around. Focus sash is awesome item, but the fact that you have to rely on focus sash says that you are already assumed your lead will die on first hit, instead of getting better items (e.g. lum berry) to eliminate status hex from battle tree, you have to resort to other measure just to SURVIVE.
2. Not relying on weather or field effects. A lot of teams rely on terrains, rains, sunny day to boost your pokemon speed or attack. While this works in the first 5-8 turns, they run out very quickly, and you not only have to waste one turn on setting things up, you have also have to sacriface one pokemon slot for a pokemon to set things up, which is usually a throw away as your real pokemon is the one coming after.
3. Counter all probability, hex tricks the battle tree will throw at you. Namely: sleep, burn, paralyze, frozen, poison, all of them will not affect your ability to reliably sweep, and I believe status spread is the number 1 reason people fall in the early segment of the battle tree.
4. Not relying too much on status boost as well. Battle tree also has a lot of roar, whirdwind pokemon team setup that would ruin your day if you boosted so much just to be blown away ;P. Only dragonite really wants DD to sweep but it is not a requirement. Aegislash doesn't need one (weakness policy is a bonus), Kang doesn't need one (it has mega). Therefore if you play this the right way, very few teams can even bring you down to one mon. As by switching around to prevent the super effective attack makes you so powerful.

So far, a lot of teams on the web or even in this leaderboard filled with tricks to help you gain super power temporarily so you can sweep. However it is too risky as battle tree is very smart and can easily find ways to shut you down if you are unlucky (which you are pretty much true almost 90%+ in battle tree)

I would like to know if there are other similar teams that has the above attributes. If so I would really like to try them out as well.

Post mordem

The last fight I lost because I miscalculated and allowed a sleep/curse set hippdowdon cursed 2 times, resulting none of my team can fight against it, as EQ and Rock slides are both effective to dragonite and aegislash. Kang just can't take it the hit and dies as well.

However this team has no problem handling suicune, heatran, zeptos, etc, as dragonite will outspeed all of those pokemons after +1 DD.

Here is the video ID of my last losing fight if you are interested:
LSFG-WWWW-WWW8-NUYU

Conclusion

I think this team is really awesome, will be my goto team to break through at least first 50+ battle tree fights without having to guess. It makes battle too easy sometimes, but If you have trouble breaking even first 20+ I would highly recommend you start with this team.

Last edited:
Not enough for a leaderboard but just want to share my results.

Got to level 65 in super single with only one team (didn't switch to another team)

Post mordem

The last fight I lost because I miscalculated and allowed a sleep/curse set hippdowdon cursed 2 times, resulting none of my team can fight against it, as EQ and Rock slides are both effective to dragonite and aegislash. Kang just can't take it the hit and dies as well.

However this team has no problem handling suicune, heatran, zeptos, etc, as dragonite will outspeed all of those pokemons after +1 DD.
I used a copy-pasted team with the same philosophy as this one to make it to 50 (I think it was in ORAS, but who the heck can keep track of these dumb places), the main difference being a physical Aegislash (yours is better IMO, not physical walls ruining your day) and a Dragonite (can't quite remember if it was WeakPol or Lum) with DD, Fire Punch, Outrage and Waterfall. I realize it limits your options for Heatran, but since your demise came from a Hippodown, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Also, you should mention the natures of your pokes (I'm guessing both Dragonite and Kanga are Adamant and Aegis is Quiet, but the first two could be Jolly), and try to breed 5 IVs versions of them or Hyper-Train them

I used a copy-pasted team with the same philosophy as this one to make it to 50 (I think it was in ORAS, but who the heck can keep track of these dumb places), the main difference being a physical Aegislash (yours is better IMO, not physical walls ruining your day) and a Dragonite (can't quite remember if it was WeakPol or Lum) with DD, Fire Punch, Outrage and Waterfall. I realize it limits your options for Heatran, but since your demise came from a Hippodown, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Also, you should mention the natures of your pokes (I'm guessing both Dragonite and Kanga are Adamant and Aegis is Quiet, but the first two could be Jolly), and try to breed 5 IVs versions of them or Hyper-Train them
Yea, you are also right. Waterfall could be useful.
And just added nature, somehow I forgot about them :P
And yea, I think 5 IVs or hyper train is a very logical next step. I have two gold bottle caps, I should look into doing that.
However training to lv100 is really daunting..., fighting elite 4 is boring if you have to do 10+ times lol

Yea, you are also right. Waterfall could be useful.
And just added nature, somehow I forgot about them :P
And yea, I think 5 IVs or hyper train is a very logical next step. I have two gold bottle caps, I should look into doing that.
However training to lv100 is really daunting..., fighting elite 4 is boring if you have to do 10+ times lol
I would go for re-breeding myself, but I've had to level to 100 like a dozen legendaries over the last week, so I'm currently biased.

Also the Kanga sprite has grown massive for some reason?

I would go for re-breeding myself, but I've had to level to 100 like a dozen legendaries over the last week, so I'm currently biased.
okAlso the Kanga sprite has grown massive for some reason?
I don't have 6IV ditto, only 4 IVs I think, so it is impossible for me to have breed perfect IV, so I really think breeding is almost close to impossible for me. Same with the bottle cap since you need tons of FC, and bottle caps, which both are very very hard to get.

If you know something that can help speed things up then I might consider doing that, otherwise I just don't know how long that would take me...

And Kang's sprite somehow is bigger perhaps it is because of the image I took online is much bigger?

I'm new to the Battle Tree and I have a question. For those who don't have Z-moves or Toxic on Poison types, how do you beat evasion users? I've been trying different teams for fun and due to back luck with RNG, I always end up facing evasion users if the teams I use don't have Z-moves and have a long PP stall war. For instance, how does the Mega Salamence/Aegislash/Chansey combo that's been used here a lot deal with evasion users like Rotom-Wash -1? Thanks!

^^^ Basically hit them hard before they can even start evading.

Just added another Mega Pokemon to my 50 win completion, well actually two but the other one is ongoing at 110+ win. The doubles team posted here has a streak of 56, I think (can't remember the exact number but it's in that range). For this particular team, I decided to go for a theme, as I present to you:
The Intimidators

The plan is simple. First: intimidate everything. Second: ????. Third: profit. At first, I was going to use Mega Salamence for this team, but I couldn't find good intimidator teammates for him that don't share weaknesses, so I went with Mawile. The team absolute will thrash any physical based teams and still has good beatdown power against special teams. I definitely feels the AI anti-team against me most of the time since most of the teams I faced were special based. Meh, what can you do.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate ---> Huge Power
EVs: 230 Hp / 252 Atk / 26 Sp
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

The star of the team, Mega Mawile usually straight up KOs someone on the first turn if she got to attack. I do not mega evolve her if I plan on switching her out on fire and ground type attacks so she can come back later on to intimidate again. I am not sure what else needs to be said, this is a pretty standard set.

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk /252 Sp
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Despite having Dragon Dance, I only use it if my opponent opens with two physical attackers or if there are 1 physical and 1 special but Mega Mawile can take out the special one. With Life Orb, Gyarados does plenty of damage without boost. The fact that he resists and is immune to all of Mega Mawile's weaknesses places him in the starting line up. With these two, I always know which one the opponent is going after and can use Protect smartly.

Tauros @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Sp
Adament Nature
- Return
- Wild Charge
- Zen Headbutt
- Stone Edge

Tauros may seem like a filler, but for this team, it's the best filler there is! With Intimidate and Assault Vest, Tauros has very nice bulk and is the fastest member of the team. Originally I was considering Stoutland for this spot, but Tauros' speed won out against Stoutland's higher attack since Tauros is usually the last one in and acts as the revenge killer, so I needed someone fast. I was also pleasantly surprised by how reasonably hard he can hit with Return. Everything else is there purely for coverage, not much strategy involved.

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Sp
Lonely Nature (should be Jolly....)
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm
- U-turn
- Protect

I call him the Mr. Amazing Switch In since he is completely immune to both Mega Mawile and Gyarados' biggest weaknesses. Opponent's Earthquake? Protect and switch to Landorus, opponent just wasted two turns. Electric attacks? Same deal. That is essentially the reason why Landorus is included in this team - to cover for my starters. To give him something more to do, I let him carry the nuke that is Groundium Z.

Threats:
There are not many threats typing wise, since the team has a diverse pool of coverage moves. Special sweepers are not as big of a threat as you would expect since by using Protect smartly and hitting with the other guy, they fall quickly. The biggest threats are physical walls...with special moves. As you can see from my video below, that was the exactly the team I eventually lost to. After my loss, I also realized that I really didn't have many answers against bulky grass types.

Videos:
WAKG-WWWW-WWW8-ZWYH

Battle 46 or 49, I can't remember
- This battle pretty showcases how the team beats special based teams, by using Protect and switching a lot. I didn't even realize Gyarados can OHKO Rotom-H like that. I probably wouldn't want to take the chance anyway after my Mega Sharpedo got walled by Rotom-H to end my last streak.

PF9G-WWWW-WWW8-ZWJ3
Legend battle against Blue, Battle 50
- It was a 50/50 guess at whether Blue was running Mega Pidgeot or Mega Gyarados. I placed my bet on the latter and made the right call. Had it been Mega Pidgeot, I probably would've been in more trouble. Normal Pidgeot wasn't a threat at all and didn't even take out one of my guys despite being on the field since the beginning.

BANG-WWWW-WWW8-ZWJ9
Losing battle, Battle 56 or 58?
No, the code isn't a typo at all. Bang is exactly what Mega Mawile heard when Chesnaught lay the people's elbow down on her candy ass. I meant, special Chesnaught and Dhelmise, seriously? Tauros was the hero tho, he just wouldn't give in. I tried to make him commit suicide at the end when all hope is lost, yet his will to live was way too strong.... only for Dhelmise to chop him up into beef jerky moments later. Oh well, it was your day to shine in the Battle Tree, Tauros, like never before!

Final Words:
The team is an absolute blast to use. Nothing beats seeing something like Mega Kangaskhan doing junk damage on turn 1 before I even did anything. For my future intimidator team, Mega Manectric can be plugged into Mega Mawile's place and the team wouldn't change much. Normal Manectric can help divert electric attack from Gyarados so it can set up Dragon Dance. A Mega Salamence based Intimidator team could also be fun, but that require very different teammates.

Last edited:
I'm new to the Battle Tree and I have a question. For those who don't have Z-moves or Toxic on Poison types, how do you beat evasion users? I've been trying different teams for fun and due to back luck with RNG, I always end up facing evasion users if the teams I use don't have Z-moves and have a long PP stall war. For instance, how does the Mega Salamence/Aegislash/Chansey combo that's been used here a lot deal with evasion users like Rotom-Wash -1? Thanks!
You have a long PP stall war/set-up against them. Contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, when it comes to building a streak it's faster to have to do that every once in a while than it is to lose and completely start the streak over. It's not bad luck with RNG; there are enough evasion users that a team without a way to deal with them (and when you discard the options of using a Z move or using defensive Pokemon that can PP stall the offensively-limited evasion boosters, you're essentially at the point of "just hope you don't miss") is going to have a hard time getting very far.

I'm really confused as to how you'd have trouble beating that particular Pokemon unless as a matter of principle you forfeit any battle that takes longer than 20 turns. Chansey sets up against it while taking almost no damage, Aegislash has a never-miss move to take it down (and also has enough defenses to stall Rotom out of 10 Charge Beam PP if you're smart enough with using King's Shield), and even Salamence could probably outstall it with Sub and Roost as long as you're not too unlucky with Rotom getting a boost every time it uses Charge Beam.

I mean, there aren't even that many other possible answers outside of the ones you already listed. If there were a Pokemon capable of OHKOing all the different evasion users before they could move, you'd have seen tons of people getting ridiculously long streaks with it by now.

Last edited:
Hit them hard as possible. I mainly run a Fake Out Hariyama with Flame Orb and Trick Room Porygon2 lead so I can at least try and get two hits in hwile they flinch.

Of course, if you're Walrein you'll hax evade and hax OHKO, still livid

You have a long PP stall war/set-up against them. Contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, when it comes to building a streak it's faster to have to do that every once in a while than it is to lose and completely start the streak over. It's not bad luck with RNG; there are enough evasion users that a team without a way to deal with them (and when you discard the options of using a Z move or using defensive Pokemon that can PP stall the offensively-limited evasion boosters, you're essentially at the point of "just hope you don't miss") is going to have a hard time getting very far.

I'm really confused as to how you'd have trouble beating that particular Pokemon unless as a matter of principle you forfeit any battle that takes longer than 20 turns. Chansey sets up against it while taking almost no damage, Aegislash has a never-miss move to take it down (and also has enough defenses to stall Rotom out of 10 Charge Beam PP if you're smart enough with using King's Shield), and even Salamence could probably outstall it with Sub and Roost as long as you're not too unlucky with Rotom getting a boost every time it uses Charge Beam.

I mean, there aren't even that many other possible answers outside of the ones you already listed. If there were a Pokemon capable of OHKOing all the different evasion users before they could move, you'd have seen tons of people getting ridiculously long streaks with it by now.
The problem was that I was too impatient and I made mistakes as a result. I don't have a video of what happened in the battle, but what I did first was Sub with Salamence because I predicted the Confuse Ray (Salamence always seems to attract status first), which turned out to be correct and then set up to +1 to 2HKO it with Return while it used Double Team on my DD. I thought the AI would be more likely to try breaking my Sub instead. The first Return hit while it used Double Team again and my second Return missed as it used Substitute (To my embarrassment, I actually forgot that Sacred Sword ignored evasion boosting and what I should have done is switch in Aegislash, which would have saved me a lot of trouble with PP stalling with Chansey and King's Shield while it got every single Charge Beam Boost that hit. It also used Confuse Ray on Chansey so PP stalling was still a bit of a risk with Chansey constantly hitting itself). I figured with the evasion boosts and Sub, Salamence had no chance of taking it down, especially because with one boost from Charge Beam, it could break Mence's sub every time. With me being a fool who forgot about Sacred Sword, I didn't want to switch to Aegislash and at that point, I think it would have been too late of a switch even if I didn't forget because Rotom was behind a Sub and I would have been afraid of Confuse Ray while I tried to break the Sub.

I managed to get by, but I think I should have played it more patiently. I was more intent on trying to brute force my way by trying to 2HKO it before it could spam Double Team even more and get out of hand. I also had problems with Mimikyu-1 where it was the last mon and I was on my way to sweeping with Mega Mence at +6 and I broke it's disguise while it used Double Team and I figured I had a decent enough chance to kill it with only +1 evasion boost, but I never hit another Return again...forcing me to PP stall with Chansey and Aegislash where I let Chansey get T Waved while I switched to Aegislash on the Slash and let Chansey's Natural Cure take effect to repeat the process.

Thank you and thank you everyone for your advice. I appreciate it!

I don't have 6IV ditto, only 4 IVs I think, so it is impossible for me to have breed perfect IV, so I really think breeding is almost close to impossible for me. Same with the bottle cap since you need tons of FC, and bottle caps, which both are very very hard to get.

If you know something that can help speed things up then I might consider doing that, otherwise I just don't know how long that would take me...

And Kang's sprite somehow is bigger perhaps it is because of the image I took online is much bigger?
It's not impossible to breed 6IV mons starting with a 4IV Ditto. I'd never bred prior to this gen, I bred a 6IV male Gible from my 4 IV Ditto (yeah, it's not quick unless you luck out, once you get a 5IV you switch it into the breeding pair until you get either the 6IV offspring or a 5IV one of the opposite gender) and then I chain bred 6IV males in overlapping egg groups until I had one in nearly all of them. I traded for a 6IV Ditto some time later, which I use now of course, but by the time I got it I didn't really need it any more apart from for genderless mons.

(then I decided I wanted some shinies, and after all is said and done I have hatched more than 12000 eggs in Sun - most of those from breeding the shinies rather than the initial achievement of getting my breeding mons sorted)

Last edited:
Expecially if you are running Aegislash, most people who run it use a completely stall oriented set since he's also immune to both Toxic and Sandstorm which are also the most common abilities used by AI staller sets.
Ideally, PP up everything, and then you can chainstall with alternating King Shield, Substitute or similar moves.

You can also run a 100% accuracy move somewhere in the coverage slot, for knowledge. Lot of Pokemon learn Aerial Ace (including mentioned Aegislash and Salamence), and Smart Strike is common enough as learnable move.

If you are running physical Aegislash, I generally go for Sacred Sword over Iron Head. Not only does does it ignore evasion but it also ignores changes to the target's defense.

It's not impossible to breed 6IV mons starting with a 4IV Ditto. I'd never bred prior to this gen, I bred a 6IV male Gible from my 4 IV Ditto (yeah, it's not quick unless you luck out, once you get a 5IV you switch it into the breeding pair until you get either the 6IV offspring or a 5IV one of the opposite gender) and then I chain bred 6IV males in overlapping egg groups until I had one in nearly all of them. I traded for a 6IV Ditto some time later, which I use now of course, but by the time I got it I didn't really need it any more apart from for genderless mons.

(then I decided I wanted some shinies, and after all is said and done I have hatched more than 12000 eggs in Sun - most of those from breeding the shinies rather than the initial achievement of getting my breeding mons sorted)
Wow, that is some dedication right there. I got tired of chain breeding after a couple hours. It is just too boring. I rather go back to battle tree or do something different like trying to do SOS battles for HA pokemons.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
PikaAbuser : Just wanted thank you for the effort you're putting into this, it's a very unique take on how to challenge oneself in the Tree. Whenever you finish this up--or whenever you just decide to stop--I'll set up a separate section on the S.R.C. for your collective streaks.

Still need to come up with an awful 80s-sounding name for it, though...tentatively have it set as "Project: Mega Awesome". Any other ideas are welcome and appreciated.

BANG-WWWW-WWW8-ZWJ9
Losing battle, Battle 56 or 58?
No, the code isn't a typo at all. Bang is exactly what Mega Mawile heard when Chesnaught lay the people's elbow down on her candy ass. I meant, special Chesnaught and Dhelmise, seriously? Tauros was the hero tho, he just wouldn't give in. I tried to make him commit suicide at the end when all hope is lost, yet his will to live was way too strong.... only for Dhelmise to chop him up into beef jerky moments later. Oh well, it was your day to shine in the Battle Tree, Tauros, like never before!
I did want to mention that people on here should be ready for Chesnaught3; you laugh at special attacker Ches, but the LO it holds adds a surprising amount of power to its attack, and STAB LO Focus Blast, no matter who it's coming from, is still dangerous. Once you get a feel for which Trainers carry Chesnaught at all, be ready for both sides of the offensive spectrum, as both Sets 3 (LO special) and 4 (White Herb physical) and hit very hard. (Unless of course, you run a Friskmon and and can just scout the sucker out.)

Last edited:
The problem was that I was too impatient and I made mistakes as a result. I don't have a video of what happened in the battle, but what I did first was Sub with Salamence because I predicted the Confuse Ray (Salamence always seems to attract status first), which turned out to be correct and then set up to +1 to 2HKO it with Return while it used Double Team on my DD. I thought the AI would be more likely to try breaking my Sub instead. The first Return hit while it used Double Team again and my second Return missed as it used Substitute (To my embarrassment, I actually forgot that Sacred Sword ignored evasion boosting and what I should have done is switch in Aegislash, which would have saved me a lot of trouble with PP stalling with Chansey and King's Shield while it got every single Charge Beam Boost that hit. It also used Confuse Ray on Chansey so PP stalling was still a bit of a risk with Chansey constantly hitting itself). I figured with the evasion boosts and Sub, Salamence had no chance of taking it down, especially because with one boost from Charge Beam, it could break Mence's sub every time. With me being a fool who forgot about Sacred Sword, I didn't want to switch to Aegislash and at that point, I think it would have been too late of a switch even if I didn't forget because Rotom was behind a Sub and I would have been afraid of Confuse Ray while I tried to break the Sub.
It sounds like your main problem is that if Chansey isn't faster than Rotom and able to set up a Substitute before it moves, you're not using the right Chansey set.

It's not a coincidence that the variation of Salamence/Aegislash/Chansey I used this generation is over 100 wins longer than the next-longest streak even though I only used the team for a week after it became available and suffered an extremely low-probability loss while using it. Nor is it a coincidence last generation when I plugged a Substitute/Seismic Toss/Minimize/Soft-Boiled Chansey into the "standard" Salamence/Aegishlash/Chansey team and got a higher streak my first and only time using those three in the Maison; the moveset is that much better.

I did want to mention that people on here should be ready for Chesnaught3; you laugh at special attacker Ches, but the LO it holds adds a surprising amount of power to its attack, and STAB LO Focus Blast, no matter who it's coming from, is still dangerous. Once you get a feel for which Trainers carry Chesnaught at all, be ready for both sides of the offensive spectrum, as both Sets 3 (LO special) and 4 (White Herb physical) and hit very hard. (Unless of course, you run a Friskmon and and can just scout the sucker out.)
Brus, just remember that those 2 things exist:
Marowak-Alola-1
Quiet, 252 HP/Spatk, WoW, Hex, Thunder, Rain Dance

Garchomp-2
Hasty, 252 Speed/Spatk, Fire Blast, Surf, Sandstorm, Protect

Expecially if you are running Aegislash, most people who run it use a completely stall oriented set since he's also immune to both Toxic and Sandstorm which are also the most common abilities used by AI staller sets.
Ideally, PP up everything, and then you can chainstall with alternating King Shield, Substitute or similar moves.

You can also run a 100% accuracy move somewhere in the coverage slot, for knowledge. Lot of Pokemon learn Aerial Ace (including mentioned Aegislash and Salamence), and Smart Strike is common enough as learnable move.
Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

I used this Aegislash spread, which I saw from GG Unit's team. I could try a more stall oriented one if necessary. I didn't think to use Substitute on Aegislash because pokemon like Salamence and Chansey have reliable recovery so they could consistently heal while setting up and use Substitute. Do you just use King's Shield with Leftovers recovery? I thought that with Aegislash being slow, it means you would have to take a hit first before using Substitute many times, limiting the amount of Subs you can potentially use and spamming King's Shield for recovery might be risky if you need the PP for stalling out the next pokemon that might be sent out. I'm new to all this so I'm probably missing something but any informative knowledge is always useful

It sounds like your main problem is that if Chansey isn't faster than Rotom and able to set up a Substitute before it moves, you're not using the right Chansey set.

It's not a coincidence that the variation of Salamence/Aegislash/Chansey I used this generation is over 100 wins longer than the next-longest streak even though I only used the team for a week after it became available and suffered an extremely low-probability loss while using it. Nor is it a coincidence last generation when I plugged a Substitute/Seismic Toss/Minimize/Soft-Boiled Chansey into the "standard" Salamence/Aegishlash/Chansey team and got a higher streak my first and only time using those three in the Maison; the moveset is that much better.
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
- Soft-Boiled
- Growl
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

This is the current Chansey spread I've been using since I saw it at the Maison thread and I thought it made sense because Battle Tree has harder hitting pokemon due to Z-moves and Mega Evolutions so I prioritized maxing Chansey's defenses with Growl helping against physical attackers and PP stalling and Toxic for residual damage. I saw that your team used a Timid Chansey with max speed, which gives it a surprising amount of speed, but from your experience, how was it defensively? Was there a significant difference? Did you just feel that between Salamence's Intimidate and Aegislash's King's Shield, you didn't really need the extra HP EVs on Chansey due to them neutering physical attackers? I can see the benefits of having Substitute and Minimize instead of Growl and Toxic with Chansey being able to avoid status while making PP stall even easier with Minimize due to opponents missing

Wow, that is some dedication right there. I got tired of chain breeding after a couple hours. It is just too boring. I rather go back to battle tree or do something different like trying to do SOS battles for HA pokemons.
I bred stuff while I watched shows or whatever, or while on a stationary bike exercising, surprisingly painless, but yeah, some dedication I can't deny.

You should be able to find a 6IV Ditto trading or via Reddit giveaway or something if chain breeding is not for you.

Marowak-Alola-1
Quiet, 252 HP/Spatk, WoW, Hex, Thunder, Rain Dance
I almost lost to this. Twice. Would never have imagined it could actually cause me problems yet it did. Suppose that's what I get for risking the Volt Switch.

Anyway, gave my team a second run which didn't last long. It ended at a streak of 19 when my Tapu Koko, locked into Dazzling Gleam, was left alone to face off against Wally's full HP Assault Vest Magnezone which was a fight I was never going to win. Ended up running as I was never going to win anyway and I didn't have to look at Wally's smug face either.
I seriously hate Wally both as a rival and a Tree opponent. Out of all the trainers in the Tree he's the one I dread facing the most. Not only is there a 50/50 chance he'll bring Scarf-Chomp, barring Altaria, the rest of his Pokemon pose a threat in some way or another. Gallade beats both Salazzle and Lopunny (the latter of which was KOd by a crit in the losing battle sealing my fate), Magnezone beats Mimikyu and completely walls Tapu Koko, and Scarf-Chomp is a problem for everyone. Depending on the order he sends them out there could be no way I can win as was the case in this instance. Assault Vest Magnezone is a pain even with Salazzle but when she's gone all I'm left with is Lopunny. When I don't have her, I can't touch it at all. I've honestly hated him ever since I played Ruby and he wiped out my party at the very end of the Victory Road when it had taken me hours to get through it in the first place. That is still one of the most frustrating moments I've had in a video game.

On a happier note, I've been planning my new team and would like some advice. I haven't caught or bred any of these Pokemon yet so any help with natures, EVs, egg moves etc would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly set on the Pokemon but am willing to consider other options if they might work better.

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
EVs: 0/252/6/0/0/252
Moves:
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
(egg moves: Throat Chop, Ice Shard, Icicle Crash, Fake Out)

My left hand side lead. Weavile is my absolute favourite Pokemon and has been a decently fast and strong Pokemon since its introduction. Since I managed to reach 50 with my second favourite Pokemon (Salazzle) I decided to try and do the same with Weavile. Weavile plays similar roles to Lopunny and Salazzle from my old team, to Fake Out threats and Protect scout for moves. I chose Icicle Crash as it's Weavile's strongest Ice type move but I'm a bit wary of the lower accuracy so I'll probably breed for a backup Weavile with Ice Punch just incase. Throat Chop was another alternative I considered but will most likely be sticking with Knock Off given how useful it is. Focus Sash so I can take last a bit longer.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Nature: Unsure
Ability: Misty Surge
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31 (Hyper Trained)
EVs: Unsure
Moves:
- Moon Blast
- Muddy Water
- Protect/Ice Beam/Aqua Ring/Defog
- Protect/Ice Beam/Aqua Ring/Defog

My right hand side lead. After Tapu Koko I've become quite fond of the Terrain effects and want to give a different one a try. I chose Tapu Fini as Misty Surge protecting my team from status sounds hugely beneficial (I occasionally had issues with poison and burns on my old team). I'm not sure what the best way to use Tapu Fini is so I'm open to suggestions. Moon Blast and Muddy Water as STAB moves, Muddy Water over Surf so I'm not damaging my teammates.

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Nature: Timid
Ability: Volt Absorb
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31 (Hyper Trained)
EVs: X/0/X/252/X/252 (not sure where the last 6 will go yet)
Moves:
- Thunderbolt (Gigavolt Havoc)
- Hidden Power Ice
- Protect
- Psychic

Backup 1. The team's Z-move user. Thundurus-T has monstrous special attack which makes him ideal for Z-nuking things. I chose Therian over Incarnate for Volt Absorb and more power even if speed is decreased by base 10. Prankster is basically useless for him as his only status move is Protect which goes before other moves anyway. I also overall just prefer Therian form. One thing that did strike me when I considered using Thundurus was how bad his special move pool is in comparison to Tornadus. While Tornadus has things like Heat Wave, Hurricane and Icy Wind, Thundurus doesn't even have a Flying type special move. Unfortunately I have no access to another Tornadus as I've already caught it on my OR and use him frequently in Battle Maison Triples so I don't want to transfer him up, so I'm using Thundurus instead. HP Ice for coverage but I may switch it for Grass Knot. Thunderbolt for STAB and Psychic for coverage. Protect as I couldn't think of another move but it's a vital move in Doubles so it has its uses.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified > Adaptability
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
EVs: 0/252/6/0/0/252
Moves:
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Blaze Kick/Crunch/Earthquake/Rock Slide/Poison Jab
(egg moves: Blaze Kick, Crunch, Bullet Punch, Agility)

Backup 2. Lucario is monstrously strong. While not as fast as Lopunny it packs a more powerful, more reliable Fighting STAB in Close Combat which deals massive damage to anything while Bullet Punch is a very strong priority move. I'm unsure of the third attacking move so I've listed a bunch of ones I've considered. I'm leaning towards either Blaze Kick or Poison Jab. I may use both over Protect but as lacking Protect caused my old team problems occasionally I'd like to have it on everything this time.

I also considered Mega Medicham instead of Lucario with Low Kick or Drain Punch, Psycho Cut, Fire Punch and Fake Out.

That's what I have so far. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
- Soft-Boiled
- Growl
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

This is the current Chansey spread I've been using since I saw it at the Maison thread and I thought it made sense because Battle Tree has harder hitting pokemon due to Z-moves and Mega Evolutions so I prioritized maxing Chansey's defenses with Growl helping against physical attackers and PP stalling and Toxic for residual damage. I saw that your team used a Timid Chansey with max speed, which gives it a surprising amount of speed, but from your experience, how was it defensively? Was there a significant difference? Did you just feel that between Salamence's Intimidate and Aegislash's King's Shield, you didn't really need the extra HP EVs on Chansey due to them neutering physical attackers? I can see the benefits of having Substitute and Minimize instead of Growl and Toxic with Chansey being able to avoid status while making PP stall even easier with Minimize due to opponents missing
The only physical attackers Chansey would be going up against have already had their attack lowered or will be coming out after Chansey has defeated a special attacker, in which case Chansey should be at 100% HP with a Substitute and +6 evasion. Whether against a special attacker or a crippled physical attacker (and it doesn't take much effort to neuter a physical attacker when even something like Mega Aerodactyl can't break a Chansey Sub at just -1), the only way Chansey could possibly be in danger is through repeated critical hits or secondary effects, so being faster and able to set up a Substitute and evasion before opponents can move does in fact make it better defensively. In the scenario where Chansey's out against a physical attacker that comes out second or third, its Substitute is at the very least an extra 81 HP an opponent must take out to KO it. Full investment in HP only gives Chansey 32 more HP and doing so leaves it too slow to put up a Substitute first against a bunch of annoying OHKO and status users.

Just play the Battle Tree more. If you have a team that can easily win 50+ in a row, that's basically a Rare Candy's worth of BP every 15-20 minutes (plus the additional Rare Candy/Bottle Cap/whatever else you get from the attendant when the streak ends). If you're trying to get something to level 100 so you can use bottle caps, that's not going to be much slower than grinding through the Elite 4, and it comes with the added bonus of making you better at actually playing the game.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)