Battling 101 Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would post under the tutee application threads that just opened up. They have 'Zone A' 'Zone B' and 'Zone C' in the titles. Pick a time that works for you. Though you have to have over 15 posts to apply.

im new and want too become an apprentice in nthe program but i live in the GMT -6 area is there a time slot for this? Thanks in advance!!!

got to love those wo don't read the threads...
Check a thread that fits your times online. Each of the threads have a timezone that you can check if you fit in. If you are usually online during the times in that specific thread, then post there. If not, check the other threads to see if their timezone fits.

Noted. We'll see what we can do about this.
Well i'm in this exact position as well. I'm active on Smogan as i check it at least 3 times a day, but i tend not to post. Also i don't really think this rule should really apply as the tutors have to stop tutoring a tutee and move on if they that on tutee's profile the tutee has not been active for 5 days(well the sign up thread says so)

Also I happened to sign up before I knew about this rule. The reason because of that was because the 15 post rule has not been posted anywhere else(well it wasn't in the rules thread) so I didn't see it. HINT: edit it into the rules thead.

EDIT: the thread i'm talking about
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59490

On top of these new Time Slots and Personalized Rounds systems, we have also decided to add a new prerequisite for signing up as a tutee. In order to receive a tutor, you must have made at least 15 posts throughout Smogon in the last month before signing up. This is to provide proof that you are actually an active member of our community, and will not disappear once a tutor is assigned to you.
Well, this is bizarre. I was hoping to use the tutoring process to become more integrated into Smogon's community, but this catch-22 would prevent that from happening. I would make dumb and uninformed posts if I tried to post now.

I echo the above concerns about post counts... I also rarely post, and the post count requirement will make me ineligible for the tutoring program.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

The requirement for becoming a tutee has been changed to 15 posts on 10 separate days in the last month, due to people mass posting last minute in order to qualify. You are exempt from this policy update if you have already received a PM from one of the Battling 101 Staff to simply make 15 posts. Otherwise, you are subject to these new prerequisites. Thank you for understanding.

Well, this is bizarre. I was hoping to use the tutoring process to become more integrated into Smogon's community, but this catch-22 would prevent that from happening. I would make dumb and uninformed posts if I tried to post now.

I echo the above concerns about post counts... I also rarely post, and the post count requirement will make me ineligible for the tutoring program.
Being a part of the community does not necessarily mean you have to post about Pokemon-related subjects only. There are a plethora of topics on our social boards where you can interact with fellow community members. You can also ask questions in discussion threads on Stark Mountain, which does not require you to have any battling knowledge of your own.

Well after waiting all semester, there goes my chance again @_@.

I think what CTangent means is that it's hard to make intelligent posts in the battling section (which is where most of us would really want to post any ways) without some sort of experience (in my application I even said that).

Sure I could post in the off-topic section or the ruins of alph, but what good would that be? I didn't join Smogon to talk about things like that (that's what serebii and pokecommunity are for). I joined smogon because it's the leading competitive battling community with an excellent tutor program that I want to be a part of.

If a user is inactive during the tutoring session that he signed up for, expel the user and add him to a tutee blacklist. A post count of 15 on ten separate days within the past month is absolutely no way active in itself (an average of one post every two days at the maximum level of activity) and I'm sure there are users like me who have been checking this page pretty much every day since the last round back in September. I'm sure that there are users who read a lot of the topics on the forums and have read every article in all of your magazines without making a single post -- does that lack of posting mean inactivity? Sure we aren't posting on the forums but the tutor program isn't about that. It's about learning pokemon through shoddy battle.

Why not have us provide our alts and check our shoddy usage stats?
If you are to use a post count rule, at least make it a greater amount of activity than one post every two days. That's not active, just coming online here or there.

Anyways, I posted a thorough application a couple hours before this announcement. Although I didn't receive a PM, am I still in the clear?

Being a part of the community does not necessarily mean you have to post about Pokemon-related subjects only. There are a plethora of topics on our social boards where you can interact with fellow community members. You can also ask questions in discussion threads on Stark Mountain, which does not require you to have any battling knowledge of your own.
Well, it's too late now, isn't it? It would have been nice if there was some sort of indication a few weeks ago that you'd disqualify prospective newbies...

Roshi's post sums up my feelings entirely. I understand the reason why this rule was implemented (I used to visit a Guitar Hero board, and they ran leagues every so often that were plagued by noncommital people), but are you sure that counting posts is the best way to go about solving this problem?

If I wanted to discuss topics on social boards, I'd go to the other websites where I'm already an established user. I came here to discuss Pokemon.

I don't like the idea of a post count for the application on any level. I haven't really posted at all since I found out about the rebuilding of the tutor program. In fact, I haven't become active on this sight since then.

I personally am not on Smogon to get really social with other people from the beginning. Like Roshi, I'm here to learn competitive online pokemon battling.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm actually hoping exceptions are made to the 15 post count rule depending on how you address it in the "about myself". I mean, the point of it is not to see if you're increasing the number of posts Smogon gets, but whether or not you're easy to reach on the site.

Either way, If November 12 is the first day of "last month", then I have:
2 posts today (including this one)
2 yesterday
6 posts on 6 seperate days
2 posts on November 16
1 post on November 14th for...
13 posts on 10 days.

Which means if I spam 2 more posts today I'll have enough, but I really don't like the idea of having to do that.

So would that mean I'm ineligible in accordance with the new policy? The new rule also looks weird in that if you didn't post 2 days this month, then you're ineligible.

Though I understand your discontentment with regards to our new prerequisite system, I ask that you please try to see this from our point of view. In the past, we have had many tutees stop showing up after a few sessions with their tutor. You can imagine the reluctance a tutor might have in deciding whether or not to drop a tutee, after he has already spent hours working with him. This time spent in uncertainty is time completely wasted, and makes for a very inefficient tutoring system. Even worse than this, is when a tutee completely disappears after they complete their round with their tutor, because they never were that interested in Pokemon to begin with. That whole round could have been spent teaching someone who planned to stick with the community for a long time.

For those of you who have been checking every day since the last round for things to start back up again, but have not been posting anywhere, I am deeply sorry. We should have made it known that we will be taking activity into account when accepting tutees this round. However, I do not think it is unreasonable to give priority to naturally active members of the community, rather than those who sign up just for the sake of using our services.

Overall, I do not think we are asking too much of you to prove you will be dedicated to the program, and competitive Pokemon in general afterwords, by requiring you to make 15 posts on 10 separate days before applying. It is the least you could do to show us some appreciation for the hours we dedicate to helping you out.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, but I ask for your understanding. Also, please do not clutter up this topic with anymore complaints on the matter. All posts doing so from here on out will be deleted. If you have any suggestions, or feel like for some reason or another you should be an exception to this rule, I am willing to listen, so feel free to PM me.

Thank you.

Edit: I have loosened the requirement to not include the "in the last month" part. So you need at least 15 different post on at least 10 different days. This is not a hard requirement to meet. You have no excuses.

Is it ok that we seem to keep getting more tutor applications? Like will that influence the number of tutors so far?

Whew, thanks. For a second I was worried :O.
Just out of curiosity, did they change that? I thought it was 15 posts in the last month....

EDIT: sorry just saw the post above me.

I'm pretty familiar with things like predicting/EV's/Movesets and other battling aspects. The only thing I'd need help with is post Plat Team Building. Can I still apply to be tutored or would i be told to use the RMT forum for team building help?

I'm pretty familiar with things like predicting/EV's/Movesets and other battling aspects. The only thing I'd need help with is post Plat Team Building. Can I still apply to be tutored or would i be told to use the RMT forum for team building help?
Go ahead and use 101; it couldn't hurt. That way you can help yourself when you know better how to use a team, and don't have to turn to RMT every time you make a team.

I'm wondering: is it likely that the threads will be open in the next 10 days?
I just started posting today and I'd LOVE to join the program (I know the basics but I'm terrible at things like team building) since I wanted to be tutored for a long time, but I'm just concerned that it might be closed soon.

In other words, how long should I expect those threads to last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)