Beach Party (Offensive Sticky Hazards)

Would you use this team?

• Total voters

The following is a team I formed up and tested many times on Pokemon Showdown. This idea is going to be transferred to my Pokmeon Y in the time being.

Constructive Criticism is always welcomed. Anything that can be made better for this team before creating it in-game I would love to know from you guys. Thanks for spending your time reviewing my team. Enjoy! :)

If anything in the importable version is out of whack and needs fixing, please do not hesitate and message me about it as soon as possible.

Note: None of the images/pictures are mine. I hold no possession with any of them and they belong to their rightful creators. Most movesets were taken from Serebii, Smogon & Pokemon Database.

GreenPaint (Smeargle) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat

*Taking in the warmth of the sun and paints a scenery of the beach's landscape*

Smeargle is the main leader of this team. His main purpose is to be able to put out as many hazards as possible in hopes to break down the foe's teammates including:
  • Study ability users
  • Bounce back Taunt and other hazards to other Leads or Lead killers with Magic Coat
  • Decrease the speed of potential opposing sweepers
Spore is, but not always, a primary tool to allow himself to send a foe to sleep to at least put up 2 hazards before an awake. Though with Focus Sash and Timid Nature coupled with Evs invested in Speed can outrun most things, being able to re-put the sleep inducer back onto the opponent.

(Test) I had tested with many other leads including those like: Gigalith & Aerodactyl. Though, since Aerodactyl can't naturally learn Stealth Rocks and that the bank in X & Y is not out yet, and the lack of Sticky Web on Gigalith, I took notice to Smeargle users. With seeing how versatile Smeargle was and the accessibility with the most vital hazards for any team to possess, I decided to replace my lead with one.

Recent Changes: I have replaced Toxic Spikes with Magic Coat based on the commentator, Matt Tuck. This benefits more due to the fact that I had encountered many users who have taunters that locked out my Smeargle from doing anything.

Toxic Spikes isn't really beneficial since I have Stealth Rocks and that this is an offensive team not a stall team. So poison statues foes are really not important.

MiniGun (Clawitzer) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

*Enjoys playing a friendly game of water tag with children*

Clawitzer. This small shrimp with the over-sized claw deals out a variety of moves ranging from; Water, Fighting, Dark & Ice. Being one of the many all out damage dealers has proven to be really handy in taking out different types of Pokemon in either 1 or 2 hits, if not an overly buffed Special Defensive Wall (Though can have help if Smeargle & Togekiss's Paralyzing move nurfed the bulkiness of the opponent beforehand).

Mega Launcher also gives him a boost in his Aura & Pulse moves by 50% making him even stronger!

I have debated whether to equip Clawitzer with Choice Specs or Choice Scarf. After noting that Sticky Web Smeargle and how good of a natural bulk Clawitzer has without any investment in his defenses, I found it more reasonable to use Choice Specs over Scarf for more power.

(Test) I found Clawitzer to be really good around many types of foes. Though he still gets hit pretty hard in the face with Thunder, but has proven himself to soak up most moves and deal massive damage on the opponent's side.

Sprinkles (Togekiss) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot

*Enjoys playing beach volleyball with friends*

Choosing this Pokemon to take the spot was difficult. I had Granbull and Diggersby as potential spot takers but I needed something to resist ground whether a little bit or entirely, but still a Pokemon I can bring out to sponge up threatening moves to my other party members and dish out. That's when Togekiss came in.

Realizing that Togepi is obtainable in X & Y normally in friend safaris, I took my chances and worked in a fully evolved Togekiss in this party. I have used Togekiss in past generations and decided, "Hey, why not?" Togekiss is not effected by any ground moves and with the new Fairy typing, eliminates Dragon moves entirely.

Many Togekiss users will remember this set. Borrowed from Smogon's page, works nicely for this team. It helps by adding a paralyze effect on the opponent, if not already poisoned, making Clawitzer, Venusuar or any of my teammates gain first hit to most speedy individuals (If not equipped with Bullet Punch, Sucker Punch or Extreme Speed).

Nasty Plot comes in handy when I want to go on a full out assault with Togekiss. Roost and Parahax (TWave + Air Slash) can really be a pain to my opponent's side if not properly geared up for this kind of beast.

(Test) Togekiss has proved what he is was meant for flawlessly.

Aloof (Lucario) (M) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus (Adaptability w/ Mega Lucario)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- Bullet Punch/Extreme Speed

*Would rather be left alone suntanning*

Here comes a mega-evolution! Mega-Lucario was added to be the most potent hard hitting sweeper in the team. With Adaptability granting an increase in Close Combat and Bullet Punch (Now as strong as ExtermeSpeed) makes this guy a powerhouse!

Ice Punch was originally in place of ExtremeSpeed but since he cannot learn it normally and the lack of the bank in X and Y I had it changed. ExteremeSpeed still holds its flavor though with dealing against water types who sponge Bullet Punch.

Though Mega-Lucario still lacks a bit of speed this is where TWave and Sticky Web come in handy.

(Test) Mega Lucario works extremely well as a clean up on the opponents brittle down pokemon. He has been a good revenge killer and loyal sweeper.

Recent Changes: I have replaced Bullet Punch/Extreme Speed with Swords Dance. Mega-Lucario is able to take at least 1 to 2 hits from many different moves dealt by the opposing foe before death allowing him to set up a Swords Dance if necessary.

ToastyFlame (Chandelure) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

*The spark at the hula dance*

Chandelure is probably Smeargle's best friend due to his Ghost typing making him immune to Rapid Spin. This is merely a standard Special Attacking set on Chandy but it is the best of the fires that can deal massive amounts of damage to annoying steel types like Scizor/Mega-Scizor & Mega-Aggron.

I forced myself to add a Fire Type since I seem to always lack fire Pokemon in teams.

(Test) Chandelure works nicely in the team. He has stopped many rapid spinners like Tentacruel and destroyed them with Psychic.

Crikey! (Heliolisk) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid/Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

*Loves making sandcastles*

Heliolisk, the generator Pokemon, can be a good comeback to water types and ghost types due to his ability, Dry Skin and Normal typing which is great for taking the place of Chandelure during a counter attack.

He can also be a good switch-out for Clawitzer and Togekiss due to his resistance to electric moves. And 94 base Sp. Def + 1/2x resistance to electric is quite good for soaking up Thunder and/or Thunderbolt.

With 109 base Speed & Special Attack makes this guy an excellent fighter. And with Timid Nature + Choice Scarf makes him out-speed most scarfers and can act as a revenge killer, scouter or possible sweeper if not locked onto Thunderbolt or Volt-Switch against a ground type Pokemon or a Pokemon with an ability to absorb electricity.

Modest nature + Scarf can be still speedy or pose a speed tie against other scarfers if Sticky Web is on the ground of the opposing side. ...I don't know about actual calculations much...

Recent Changes: Based off the commentator, KyuremG, Venusuar who was once in my 6th slot of the team is no longer there. Instead, replaced by Heliolisk for the reason of electric type resistance + a Ghost & Water immunity bonus and a 109 base Spe & Sp.Atk Scarfer.

Importable Version Below (Change Heliolisk's nature to desired & choose either Bullet Punch or Extreme Speed for Lucario):

Code:
GreenPaint (Smeargle) (M) @ Focus Sash[/LEFT]
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat

MiniGun (Clawitzer) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Sprinkles (Togekiss) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot

Aloof (Lucario) (M) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- Bullet Punch/Extreme Speed

ToastyFlame (Chandelure) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
[/LEFT]
Crikey! (Heliolisk) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid/Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Last edited:
Nice team, first of all. Secondly, everything looks pretty good, I'd put Ice Punch on Lucario when he comes out, or use Swords Dance instead of Bullet Punch.

I also think that Chlorophyll is better on Venusaur to take advantage of the rare Sun Team. (I use Sun, btw, so damn fun!)

I hope that I was a positive influence and that I helped you out! Much Ludvisc!

Nice team, first of all. Secondly, everything looks pretty good, I'd put Ice Punch on Lucario when he comes out, or use Swords Dance instead of Bullet Punch.

I also think that Chlorophyll is better on Venusaur to take advantage of the rare Sun Team. (I use Sun, btw, so damn fun!)

I hope that I was a positive influence and that I helped you out! Much Ludvisc!
Thanks :) And I really like the idea of Swords Dance over Bullet Punch. Also the replacement of the ability Overgrow with Chlorophyll.

I updated the post with your ideas.

Really like the format of the team! but there's really no need for venusaur, you have a set up sweeper, lucario, and this isnt a sun team, venusaur mostly functions in sun teams because of its growth and chlorophyll combo, I think you should add a scarfed Pokemon, this team could use one, a scarfed pokemon could potentially sweep the team if not careful.

Really like the format of the team! but there's really no need for venusaur, you have a set up sweeper, lucario, and this isnt a sun team, venusaur mostly functions in sun teams because of its growth and chlorophyll combo, I think you should add a scarfed Pokemon, this team could use one, a scarfed pokemon could potentially sweep the team if not careful.
Yeah. I replaced my Venusuar with Heliolisk. Check my team for updated version.

You should put Memento on Smeargle over Toxic Spikes, smeargle wont live long enough to get them up and Memento+Sticky Web can easily result in a Lucario sweep.
I do like that idea too, though spore & focus sash allows Smeargle to be able to put enough hazards down. And replacement of Toxic Spikes with Magic Coat will block taunters from stopping his hazards.

I seem to always swap out Smeargle when a swords dancer or shell smasher comes up. He still can be used to put Pokemon to sleep and allow lucario to SD.

God I hate smeargle right now. Its almost so good you just have to use it your self. Atleast pre bank.. the semi core of togekiss and lucario is surely an incredible one. They cover each other so well but why ESpeed over BP?

God I hate smeargle right now. Its almost so good you just have to use it your self. Atleast pre bank.. the semi core of togekiss and lucario is surely an incredible one. They cover each other so well but why ESpeed over BP?
Oh, I guess that would of been a better option. I had Extreme Speed to take care of Water Pokemon who would otherwise hurt Chandelure, but since I changed Venusuar to Heliolisk I won't need need Extreme Speed anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)