is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Snover @ Choice Scarf
Snow Warning | Naive
100 Atk / 184 SpA / 196 Spe
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Rock
- Ice Shard

Good old Choice Scarf Snover. Takes nearly nothing from Giga Drain and even nerfs Synthesis. Blizzard will absolutely wreck Chikorita. Giga Drain for Waters, HP Rock for Larvesta/Ponyta, Ice Shard for general priority. This is a pretty selfexplanatory set, but it still is excellent for spamming that strong STAB Blizzard as well as checking Drilbur!

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's here to kill Snover. If you use Hidden Power Rock you're dumb.

Klink @ Eviolite
Trait: Plus
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 240 SAtk / 196 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rock Polish
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Never deny the power of a gear! Rock Polish bumps Klink's speed up to 24, just enough to pull a sweep. It can set up on any of iss's Snover as it is not running HP Fire, and from there procceed to sweep. Flash Cannon is the main attack of this set, being able to hit the hardest while also gaining STAB on it. HP Ground grants you coverage, against other Steel-types and the hated Magnemite. Thunderbolt is simply good for coverage, against the likes of Duduo or Drifloon. Because Fighting-types, Munchlax, and Lickitung wall this set pretty hard, Croagunk makes an amazing teammate. It is able to sponge all of the aforementioned counters' attacks, and hit back hard with a STAB Drain Punch or Priority abuse on them.

Baltoy @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 120 SAtk / 116 SDef
Modest Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Flash Cannon is only a 4HKO while Earth Power is 2HKO (or KO if Klink has taken a little damage); Psychic is his other STAB and threatens Croagunk as Sucker Punch fails to OHKO and has very little chance to KO it if it has taken max damage from Flash Cannon; as it lacks any real attacking power a hard hitter 'mon who likes Steels gone is a good partner: DD Dratini can sweep with Outrage, and SR helps that sweep.

Natu@Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 196 HP / 40 Atk / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Reflect
- Roost

Can come in on anything Baltoy uses even reflecting SR (Psychic 4HKOs at best), setting up Screens easily. If Baltoy wants to stay in really badly, it can just stall it out and U-Turn whenever it feels like it, since with Light Screen even Earth Power on a predicted Roost will not do anything.

edit: Oh, actually Natu WAS chosen before... a different set though. If someone decides it does not count, i'll come up with something else.

Pawniard (M) @ Eviolite / Life Orb
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 76 HP / 156 Atk / 40 Def / 40 SDef / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break
- Night Slash​

Yeah ya'll are gunna be hard pressed to counter this; I know. Pawniard may not be the *best* mon in today's metagame, but it is definitely a big fuck you to really any Natu set. Defiant keeps any natu running feather dance from working, and actually raises his attack by 1 instead, Swords dance makes this +3. Sucker punch is priority and STAB, Night Slash is STAB, Brick Break is coverage.

Against this particular Natu; It seriously can't do anything but tickle it on the Swords dance with U-turn; as it can just brick break away the barriers.

Obviously; pawniard hates mienfoo, timburr, and other karate mons; I've ran a core of Pawniard / Timburr / Drifloon to moderate success. Pawniard takes the psychic and flying moves aimed at Timburr and the rock moves aimed at Difloon well enough. drifloon takes the fighting hits aimed at Pawniard every day of the week and twice on sunday. Timburr acts as an awesome secondary sweeper; also resisting the common dark and fighting moves aimed at Difloon, while also baiting other moves to get pawniard in as safe as possible.

That core appreciates rocks and spikes like no other, so a suicide Dwebble lead can be used to moderate success, though its not exactly surprising when one sees it.

I like using rare pokes, but this is not a hard counter:

Slugma (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 196 HP / 116 Def / 196 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stockpile
- Flamethrower
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Will-O-Wisp on the Sucker Punch, a boosted Brick Break or Night Slash fails to KO it as its extremely Bulky with Eviolite; then proceed to set up with Stockpile; it doesn't care about your teammates because they don't have SE moves to hit Slugma; as it's weak to SR, a Rapid Spinner is a good partner: Baltoy resists Rock, is immune to Ground moves and stops partner Timburr with Psychic; to support them Aromatherapy Chikorita can stop Waters and relieve Slugma from Toxic. To stop Drifloon: Magnemite. (Hope I don't sound like a N00b...)

And to beat that...

Chinchou (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 56 Def / 232 SAtk / 220 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Standard Chinchou. Nothing to it. Just your straight-up angler.

Ferroseed was used too often so I figured I'd show this deerling set:

Deerling-Win (Deerling-Winter) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 116 Atk / 116 Def / 36 SDef / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Nature Power / Faint Attack
- Thunder Wave / Nature Power
- Synthesis
- Double-Edge

Aside from typing and Sap sipper from walling the set totally, 18 spec D is nothing to scoff at. Nature power turns into EQ which hits Chinchou Super effectively. I opted for Sap-sipper over Chloraphyll because it gives him a useful immunity. Grass may not be the most common move, but hey; an immunity and a stat buff? I'll take it. better than doubling speed in my non-existant sun.

The idea for the set came from RayJay's post on it. I tweaked the EV's a bit to provide better bulk; switched it to a ***WINNING*** (Please some one get that...) forme. Other than that its basically his set. Double Edge provides a powerful stab while Syntheis makes the recoil a non-issue. Earthquake (courtesy of nature power) is a powerful all around move, and hits chinchou super effectively. T-Wave gives deerling some utility; allowing it to paralyze and subsequently cripple many of its counter: the biggest of which is Mienfoo.

Rayjay uses faint attack to hit ghosts, but I use Nature power. If you opt for Faint attack, I find it best to go 3 attack and drop Twave for Nature Power; though I suppose its personal preference. If you do opt for a 3 attack set, move 80 defense EV's to attack, to max it out at 16, not terribly impressive, but when backed by powerful attacks like a Stab Double Edge and earthquake and Faint attack to deal with ghosts; its more than enough.

To be honest; I've just started using the set in goldfish matches, so I havent really come across a "winning" team support for it yet. whether you run T-wave or not, though, you should probably run something to deal with meinfoo. After you hit it / twave it on the switch, it threatens Deerling with both STAB fighting and Uturn; so you need a good switch in to deal with meinfoo. Slowpoke is always a good counter, but it stacks the U-turn weakness. Golett is hands down the best switch in to meinfoo, But I'm still trying to find ways to get it to do something after it absorbs a hit (only retards use HJK when ghosts are still alive).

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Bold | Overcoat
36 HP / 236 Def / 236 SpD
-Toxic
-Taunt
-Roost
-Knock Off / Brave Bird

Utility sand Pokemon. Works great with Hippopotas synergistically as well as Drilbur with Knock Off crippling the first switch-in. Stops slower defensive Pokemon such as Frillish or Ferroseed hard in their tracks while Roosting off damage. Thunder Wave from Deerling could be annoying, but it's gonna take some extreme hax to actually take this guy down. Toxic, Taunt, and Roost stall out both Deerling and other defensive Pokemon not named Bronzor. Use Magnet Rise Magnemite or something.​

Magnemite @ Oran Berry
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SAtk / 80 SDef / 156 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Magnet Rise

This Magnemite runs two points of speed more than the usual defensive ones to outrun Vullaby and put up a substitude before it knocks off the item. Thunderbolt is self-explanatory, HP Fire in order to damage Bronzor and Ferroseed seriously. Magnet Rise allows you to evade Earthquake of Bronzor, additionally its fellow steel types Aron and Shieldon, as well as the one of the major threat Diglett when you predict correctly - which isn't hard at all.

Darumaka @choice band
Hustle
236 atk, 236 spd, 36 HP
Jolly
-Flare blitz
-U-Turn
-Superpower
-Rock slide

Darumaka comes in on magnemite and good luck switching something in. Flare blitz hits astronomically hard (hardest thing in the tier I believe after cranidos' head smash). Super power stops bulky rock types and houndour (and will most likely OHKO ponyta too) trying to switch in on the flare blitz, u-turn is for scouting and still hits hard. Rock slide is for fliers and the odd litwick. (Btw, anyone know a good site for finding some decent easy sprites? Photobucket isn't working for me.)

Crux

Banned deucer.
Murkrow (M) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 196 HP / 100 Def / 180 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- FeatherDance
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Darumaka, as well as pretty much the rest of the metagame, can not do any damage to this set. Neutering the damage with a priority Featherdance, Murkrow is able to set up all day everyday against physical attackers like Darumakka, if you can get a good switch in (or let something die to let Krow get in for free).

Basically, this probably isnt the best Darumakka counter but I'm interrupting here to make sure that you guys know how to beat the newest Little Cup threats!

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Magnemite @ Eviolite
Magnet Pull | Modest
EVs: 156 HP / 36 Def / 236 SAtk / 76 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Grass

i had a lot written and then it died... anyway great typing with good bulk. 12 speed because most defensive mons are 11 or less, and then bulk so it can take +1/+2 hp flyings. thunderbolt because volt switch wont do enough against murkrow, volt switch for switiching. flash cannon for stab and neutral coverage especially against gligar. hp grass is for chinchou because imo chinchou is a bigger threat than ferroseed.

use it on practically any team that needs a special attacker.

I wonder ... weren't Murkrow and Gligar banned from LC? Nevermind.

Sandile @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 180 Atk / 92 Def / 236 Spd
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Fire Fang
- Toxic

Magnemite is basicly a free boost for Sandy due its speed and Earthquake. True, any fast enough quake obliterates Magnemite, but this one isn't full-stopped by Ferroseed, thanks to Fire Fang. Its movepool is rather slim, so we take what we can get. We usually prefer Toxic over Stone Edge, as it allows us to damage some bulky switchins. Actually it is that straightforward there isn't too much to say about besides it can be checked and countered in many different ways. We'll leave that to you,

Staryu @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Speed / 36 HP
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Comes in on absolutley everything you have (pre boosts, of course) and threatens a OHKO with Surf; recover provides it with decent recovery, where natural cure allows it to not have to care about Toxic's existence. Ice beam provides decent coverage dealing with the grass types that like to switch in, though Thunderbolt can be used to deal with other water types not named Chinchou. Rapid spin provides some nice support, though can be switched out for a coverage move such as T-bolt of HP Fire.

As far as the banning question: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4063000&postcount=23

Frillish (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SAtk / 196 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Water Spout
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

You can't do a thing against him, not even Spin hazards away; in turn Frillish can threaten a 2HKO with E-ball. Sandshrew is a good partner to spin hazards away in order to keep Water Spout at max power, it also can hit SE opposing ghosts with Night Slash and is immune to Electric. A fire type like Houndour to handle grass types partners well with them making a good offensive core.

Munchlax (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature(+Spd, -Atk)
- Return
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Your Frillish can't stand up to Munchlax, who is even less threatened due to the lack of Scald. Even Water Spout won't do much, in return Munchlax can Pursuit Frillish away, knocking down the power of Water Spout several notches. Make sure to pack a Ghost-type such as Duskull to handle all the Fighting-types, as well as Timburr / Mienfoo / Croagunk to beat Scraggy.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion

Misdreavus (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Icy Wind

switches into anything munchie's got and wow's his ass. from there, munch is a fried sitting duck who can only hit missy with a weak pursuit from a halved atk stat.

A Happy Special Oriented Vully as a shaky Counter:

Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Big Pecks
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 236 SDef
- Dark Pulse
- Air Slash
- Taunt
- Roost

More of a revenge killer, let something die or let it in on a Resisted Shadow Ball. Icy Wind is a 4HKO with that spread not counting Roost, in exchange Dark Pulse is a 2HKO. Hoping the opponent doesn't have rocks up, you can use Tentacool as a Rapid Spinner with pasable Sinergy; a Grass-type or Chinchou to handle Electric types (Read: opposing Chinchou). Modest or Calm won't do a difference in the damage taken or given (acording with my Calcs) so~ choose the one you like the most. Though Air Slash goes better with Modest as it can handle Fighting Types (Mienfoo) easier. Big Pecks to avoid the lowering stat chance of Shadow Ball (in PO it WILL happen, thank you hax).

I prefer my bulky Vully but a Murkrow does the job in exactly the same way but with a little more damage output (still a 2HKO though), the difference is that Murkrow isn't walled by Steel-types.

Speaking of Steel-types....

Aron (F) @Life Orb / Eviolite
Adamant
Rock Head
196 Atk / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
~ Head Smash
~ Iron Head
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Polish / Superpower? Idk​

Walls Vullaby easily and hits HARD with Head Smash, probably for a OHKO but maybe a 2HKO. Aron can probably set up a Rock Polish on Vullaby unless it's smart and uses Taunt. Iron Head for secondary STAB, and it hits Fighting-types that resist Head Smash (Aron shouldn't be in on a fighting type, though. Unless he's at +2 Spe and it's not a fighting-type with Mach Punch). EQ hits steels. Superpower can be used to hit Bronzor but it's pretty pointless because of the Atk drop and Bronzor won't be 2HKOd.

Well, aron isn't exactly a toughie to counter

Timburr @eviolite
EVs: 236 atk, 236 def, 36 HP (or which ever EV spread gives him max atk, def and rest in HP)
Adamant
Sheer Force
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Mach punch
Payback

Pretty normal timburr set except the max defense. After a bulk up (or even before), he is a formidable physical wall (surviving a +1 zen headbutt from scraggy without a BU boost). Mach punch gives some strong priority and drain punch is the main form of offense, also healing timburr (really "putting offense is the best defense" into practice). Payback has perfect coverage along-side his other moves and does serious damage to any ghost switching in.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus

Chingling (F) @Eviolite
Bold
76 HP / 196 Def / 196 SpD
~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Disable / Heal Bell
~ Psychic

This set not only lols at Timburr's Fighting Attacks, it can disable the Dark Type Payback and Psychic the monster into oblivion. Heal Bell lets it cleric a bit since Timburr is still going down to a uninvested Psychic. Wish is healing (yay), which conveniently happens to be able to passed onto other things. If only this thing got U-turn :(.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Murkrow (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Def / 20 SDef / 188 Spd
- Taunt / Substitute
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch

Murkrow has been re-introduced to LC in the past few days. Being part Dark-type makes it a very reliable answer to any Psychic- Pokemon, as Dark- is super effective against those and packs an immunity to their STAB moves. Roost grants Murkrow the needed recovery. The choice between Taunt and Substitute is up to the user; Substitute is usually the best option because it scouts many switch-ins and such, but since Chingling doesn't have any moves besides Psychic, Taunt is mandatory so Sucker Punch would work and Chingling won't be able to heal himself. Brave Bird hits like a TRUCK, and Sucker Punch grants you priority.

Roost and Substitute or Taunt work amazing in conjunction with Prankster, making them priority moves. Because Steel-types are a pain for this Murkrow, there are two solutions; the first one is bringing with Murkrow Diglett or Magnemire, or packing Heat Wave over one of the aforementioned moves.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus

Porygon

name: Bulky Booster
move 1: Tri Attack
move 2: Recover
move 3: Charge Beam
move 4: Ice Beam / Magic Coat
item: Eviolite
ability: Trace
nature: Bold
evs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD

With maximized Defense investment, Porygon can stomach Murkrow's attacks, avoiding even a 2HKO from Murkrow's Brave Bird and retaliating back with a Super Effective Ice Beam that 2HKOes, and traces Prankster. What does this mean? Variants with Substitute get outstalled (priority Recover LOL) and those with Taunt have to take a heavy hit if they really want to try to wall this boss. Magic Coat is slashed in there over Ice Beam if you want to troll those that do use Taunt lol. Besides, Porygon's still winning due to Charge Beam's raising the damage Pory does.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi i'm gonna post the counter in a second u.u

Scraggy!

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Ice Punch / Hi Jump Kick
item: Eviolite
ability: Shed Skin / Moxie
nature: Jolly / Impish
evs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 212 Spe

Yeah, so Scraggy is enemy number one to Mr. Porygon! I don't remember the calcs, but it's easy to understand that either STAB attack on this guy is going to do a number to Porygon and that's if it doesn't decide to set up on the first move either. I'm not sure why you would ever choose Magic Coat in the fourth slot with the Pokemon Ice Beam or Shadow Ball beats as it is :x

Oh, and as far as my experience goes, Taunt would wreck Porygon against a Pokemon like Murkrow since it really needs that recovery in order to set up its own charge beam, but I guess that makes Porygon more of a check either way, since you could get some nice boosts with Charge Beam immediately or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)