Beer Thread

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As someone who's recently turned 21, I've been slowly discovering more about beer as I try new things. What's some of your favorites?

I've decided I'm a pretty big fan of pale ales, mostly APAs though IPAs aren't bad either. Any APA/IPA you guys recommend? I recently did a make your own 6 pack thing and got this http://i.imgur.com/aln2mzY.jpg . I'll update as I try them.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
beer? never heard of it

nah but real talk i don't drink significant quantities of alcohol because i'm underage etc, but from the couple of sips I've had, I like Stone Brewing's IPA the most

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Personally don't like the bitterness of many IPAs. I really like stouts, such as guinness or Obsidian Stout, the darker the beer the better imo.

Favorite cheap beer is tecate, it's what im used to now. If I want to enjoy it more, but still keep it cheap, I find Kona Brewing Company's Long Board Lagger pretty refreshing.

If I'm paying a lot it's usually gonna be some fancy stout tho like Founders Kentucky Stout.

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
Just a general bona fide for you, generally, if an alcohol advertises that their can is cold, it's not a good beer at all. Personally I prefer some spirits, yet I do like the occassional beer. The thing I find wrong with beer is that the general implecation that beer brings is that once you have one, it's automatically drink 20. At least where I live. Beer isn't bad, but it's just I have had better. My favourite though is guiness, Steam Whistle, or other beers like that. I personally don't care for these fancy ass drinks, lime, and shit. But that's just me

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus

If you are as into craft beer as I am, then trying a Wild Ale (sour beer) is an important rite of passage. They are usually quite expensive (The one above can go for around $15-$18 per bottle) but definitely worth trying at least once. Good Wild Ales can also be difficult to find but luckily several breweries (including New Belgium) are located where I live.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
All beer drinkers should get this app, it's awesome to track all your beers: https://untappd.com/

My favorite brewery in the world is Unibroue from Québec. They put out the Trois Pistoles, La Fin du Monde, Maudite, etc., and my personal favorite, Blanche de Chambly.

I have a wide palate: Blanche de Chambly is a blonde, and I also love dearly Magic Hat #9, but at the same time, IPAs are my favorite type of beer. Sierra Nevada is a great IPA, but my personal favorite in that category is from Southern Tier brewing company here in NY.

Sam

is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm actually in NY as well, so everything by Southern Tier is available here. I haven't had the IPA yet, but I had "Live". It's an APA that's not as bitter and it's a little fruity. I thought it was pretty good. I haven't tried Ithaca Beer's Flower Power yet though, which is supposed to be pretty good.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
All beer drinkers should get this app, it's awesome to track all your beers: https://untappd.com/

My favorite brewery in the world is Unibroue from Québec. They put out the Trois Pistoles, La Fin du Monde, Maudite, etc., and my personal favorite, Blanche de Chambly.

I have a wide palate: Blanche de Chambly is a blonde, and I also love dearly Magic Hat #9, but at the same time, IPAs are my favorite type of beer. Sierra Nevada is a great IPA, but my personal favorite in that category is from Southern Tier brewing company here in NY.
Add me, I'm Kit83.

I'm Czech so most of the beer I drink is just plain old pilsner type (since it was basically invented here). My fav brewery is the one that I can see from my window (homer alert) - Krakonoš. It has very distinctive taste compared to most other brands so a lot of people that try it after being used to stuff like Pilsner Urquell usually don't like it. But once you get used to it there's no turning back and most other beers I drink just taste bland.

Also a question, is beer really that expensive in other places? One pub in my town has Guiness and it costs four times as much as normal beer while having less volume. Paying more than about the equivalent of 1 dollar is iffy for me and paying more than 2 (standard price of PU here, the most expensive standard czech beer) feels like straight robbery...

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
For the craftier beer it could be 2$ a beer from the store (6 packs can run more tham 12$), at bar you're really out of luck unless they have it on tap, and even then you might be looking at 3$< a beer.

You can also find $2.50 6 packs and 9$ 12 packs of cheaper shit so it really depends on the quality and how much you buy at a time.

I am an avid beer drinker, I think I even started a similar thread here a few years ago. Living in Madison, WI for the last three years has been great as far as getting access to awesome beers. We've got a number of fantastic breweries in the area, and we have two really great beer festivals every year (Great Taste of the Midwest and Isthmus Beer and Cheese Fest) and a number of nice smaller ones. They're really the best thing when it comes to trying new beer, highly recommend going to beer tastings/festivals/etc

I'm Czech so most of the beer I drink is just plain old pilsner type (since it was basically invented here). My fav brewery is the one that I can see from my window (homer alert) - Krakonoš. It has very distinctive taste compared to most other brands so a lot of people that try it after being used to stuff like Pilsner Urquell usually don't like it. But once you get used to it there's no turning back and most other beers I drink just taste bland.

Also a question, is beer really that expensive in other places? One pub in my town has Guiness and it costs four times as much as normal beer while having less volume. Paying more than about the equivalent of 1 dollar is iffy for me and paying more than 2 (standard price of PU here, the most expensive standard czech beer) feels like straight robbery...
Here in the home of the black stuff it's more expensive than a regular pint but definitely not four times. A pint here tends to range from like €3.60 for cheap to like €4.60 while Guiness goes for between €4-5 in most bars. Apparently back in 1947 it only costed 4 cents!

Welp, that is some expensive beer considering Guiness is cheaper here while still being more than twice as expensive than the most expensive standard domestic brand. Can't imagine paying €4 for a beer on a regular basis.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Here in Halifax, we have a history of enjoying beer. Although I can't say too many great things about our flagship product, Alexander Keith's (The APA/NSPA that claims to be an IPA), I can tell you that Propeller IPA is some of the best beer I've ever had. The Propeller brand is generally solid and I feel good drinking it because it's a local product.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i thought this was the beer thread not carbonated piss thread

i've been making a point of trying at least one craft type beer everywhere i go because i enjoy drinking beer and don't enjoy paying nearly the same price for commercial crap. worlds was neat since everywhere i went in DC had cool beer available but i can't remember any of the names of what i got.

mostly i drink IPAs because i like the bitterness but eventually i do wanna start trying stouts. if i have to drink a commercial beer i have a soft spot for sam adams boston lager like every stereotypical guy in new england. magic hat #9 is cool too tho!

Arrogant Bastard is probably my favorite beer. Dead Guy Ale is pretty amazing, too.

I drink all sorts of stuff, really, and I'll swing for an IPA one day, a stout the following day, and a lager the next. I have been digging Heavy Seas stuff, they have 12-packs from their brewery in grocery stores local to me, pretty good craft beer, and not too expensive.

For cheap beers, I swing for PBRs. I'd take a PBR over a Corona, Bud, Miller, Coors, etc any day of the week. PBR is love. PBR is life.

edit- things that I hate: wheat beers. Are there any people that drink wheat beer that also like heavy/bitter stuff?

Sam

I generally like IPA's, but Hoegaarden is also one of my favorites. I tend to enjoy most witbiers.

In other news, I need to get myself a nice set of pint glasses.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah I drink wheat beer as well as IPAs and stouts.

You can get some fairly bitter wheat beers, but that kinda defeats the purpose. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for something a bit lighter. It's hard for me to make recommendations because I mostly drink NZ beers, which I am assuming dont have great availability in america.

But it varies from style to style, Blanche de Namur is a real go to for me, but I am assuming you wouldnt like it much, since it is a pretty characteristic witbier. I mean wheat beers includes everything from gose to lambics so you could really end up with pretty much anything. I mean there are some things like a heffe where what you get is a heffe and there isnt much variation.. But try other styles.

If you like lagers I am pretty sure you should be able to find a wheat beer you like out there somewhere..

Personally, as far as lagers go I tend to pick up on the sulphur thing fairly strongly, so I usually prefer other things. Lagers are never that good, and sometimes are fairly shit, so its always a question whether or not they are worth the risk.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi5 Kojax my fellow wisconsinite

at a place in my town, there's build your own 6 packs for ~8 or 9$ and there's a bar that carries over 300 different beers at a time and its relatively cheap. I try to try something new every time. Not a huge fan of IPA's, probably my least favorite kind of beer tbh. Also shout out to jacob leinenkugel brewing company and new glarus brewing company.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I'm genuinely surprised by the amount of IPA drinkers here. On another forum I go on, they had an entire thread nearly dedicated to bashing IPAs and I was mad that it existed. Damn heathens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)