Behold the Gigas

Dear RMT, I present to you...

Regigigas!

Okay don't laugh just yet...

Today I was bored and was looking through the tiers, and I saw Regigas in the NU tier. As curious as I was, I had always wanted to know why Regigigas was in the NU tier. I saw his monstrous stats and continued to wonder. That is, until I scrolled my eyes a little up and saw his ability, Slow Start. Apparently, the community has made a joke that Regigigas is a legendary that didn't quite make the cut because of his ability. Now, I want to redeem Regigigas by using him as the test subject to my attempt to make a "Double SmashPass" team.

"Double SmashPass" is the term I have used to describe the concept of abusing the power of not only 1, but 2 SmashPasses combined to make something twice as great. In normal SmashPass teams, one would use Shell Smash and Baton Pass to their sweeper. Instead, I would be using Shell Smash and Baton Passing to another Shell Smasher so he can Baton Pass to the sweeper for twice the Shell Smash.

But there's a big problem to all of this; any Baton Pass team is incredibly weak to Phazing and Taunt/Encore. I've tried numerous times to stop the silly tricks that have been used to foil Baton Pass, and none have worked. But I've whipped up an idea that just might work. This idea is... trapping and sleep. With it, I can effectively stall time while I quickly get the smash passes in. Once I have them in, I'm set.

The Team:

Wobbuffet Nature: Calm
Ability: Shadow Tag
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 28 HP / 252 Def / 228 SpD
Moves:
Encore
Mirror Coat
Counter
Safeguard

This is the first part of the plan I had whipped up. Wobbufet's ability, Shadow Tag, will keep the opponent's lead in for battle, which is crucial for this team to work. Wobbuffet can stop an unwanted early game sweeper if necessary. The purpose though is that the Pokemon is trapped. The next two Pokemon will take advantage of this trapping to set up for the SmashPassers.

Breloom
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Poison Heal
Item: Toxic Orb
EV's: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Moves:
Spore
Substitute
Focus Punch
Stone Edge

Breloom is the first Pokemon that can put the trapped Pokemon to sleep. Breloom is already beastly in its own right, but also serves the team a massive purpose with the ability to put the opposing Pokemon to sleep.

Tangrowth
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Regenerator
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Moves:
Giga Drain
Hidden Power Fire
Sleep Powder
Knock Off

Tangrowth is the backup plan to Breloom, in case a Gliscor with acrobatics, etc., gets trapped. Tangrowth also can get rid of the trapped Pokemon's held item, in case that item is something like a focus sash, etc., that might cripple the strategy.

NOTE: As you may know, the sleep clause prevents you from putting more than one Pokemon to sleep at a time. However, the Pokemon that you have put to sleep cannot switch out, due to Shadow Tag. If this all comes into play, then your opponent will have to waste a few turns doing nothing because their Pokemon can't switch. So what happens now? Now that their Pokemon is sitting there being forced to do nothing, the smashpassers can do their work without the worry of having the plan crippled.

Huntail
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Water Veil
Item: White Herb
EV's: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Moves:
Shell Smash
Iron Defense
Waterfall
Baton Pass

Gorebyss
Nature: Calm
Ability: Swift Swim
Item: White Herb
EV's: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Moves:
Shell Smash
Amnesia
Surf
Baton Pass

No, I'm not giving Huntail and Gorebyss their own individual descriptions, because they are both here to do the exact same thing. If you've read this thread all the way, you've practically got the idea. While the opposing Pokemon is asleep and can't switch, use Smash Pass, White Herb takes effect, use Baton Pass and pass to your next SmashPasser, have them use SmashPass, White Herb takes effect, then Baton Pass to...

Regigigas
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Slow Start
Item: Expert Belt
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Moves:
Thunder Wave
ThunderPunch
Drain Punch
Return

Regigigas will have Stage 4 Atk, SpA, and Spe, effectively making up for Slow Start's Debuff. His defensive capabilities will ensure that he can take a hit if the Pokemon wakes up and attacks as the second SmashPasser uses Baton Pass. Once that's happened, Regigigas should be able to mow down just about any Pokemon.

Weaknesses:

I am aware that this idea has some weaknesses. Taunt leads such as Whimsicott will be a pain to handle. Not only that, but there is another team type that will completely cripple this strategy; U-Turn/Volt Switch teams. I have posted my team here to see if I could get any help in being able to find a way around these weaknesses, or if there is a more efficient way to execute my strategy of SmashPassing with a Trapping and Sleeping combo.

It's really nice to see Regigigas getting some love, but I can point out a few flaws in this team.
You are relying waaaay too much on Gorebyss and Huntail to get up your Regigigas, and that could be a big problem. Taunt is the bane of your existence.
Other trappers can keep your Wobbuffet in too, you know? And Gothitelle can switch out if ever.
Genesect easily kills with a simple U-turn.
Please, Please put HP investments on Wobbuffet. It has 58 base defense...

I'll continue this tommorow maybe...

tehy

Banned deucer.
Shadow tag only traps pokemon for as long as wobbuffet is physically present on the field.

Oh, and trying to smashpass to a pokemon that needs to stay on the field multiple turns to be effective? Not a great plan.

-Wobbuffet: As you yourself mentioned, Taunt would make it useless. Plus, a Pokemon would be easily able to set up 3 layers of Toxic/Spikes easily in front of you.
-Breloom is fine, but I really wouldn't count on Tangrowth too much.
-You're relying too much on Huntail and Gorebyss. My very on Vaporeon would love to Roar them out or on the Pokemon you'll switch in. So will the usual Physical Wall Skarmory with its Whirlwind). This is the reason why Ninjask teams don't work either.

Too be blunt, I don't like this concept so much because I used a similar team before. And sometimes ExtremeSpeed or faster Pokemon would make it pretty useless. Though I like Regigigas inclusion, and if everything works according to your plan, gg.

Hello, i like the idea to use Regigigas ! But there are some problems.. First you have two poison weaknesses, two bug weaknesses and two flying weaknesses. Therefore Crobat is very dangerous for your team. A hazer or a phazer should break your strategy easily..
And what happens if your adversary wake up before you put the two shell smash on Regigigas ? And the last problem is Golurk, he is immune to all Regigigas' attacks.

But if your strategy work you win ! To kill Golurk, i think you must replace thunder punch by stone edge. If you replace Tangrowth by Gengar you loose one of your bug, flying and poison weaknesses. Why Gengar ? Because he can use hypnosis so he can keep Tangrowth's job. Besides Gengar have a larger movepool than Tangrowth. I advices you to use him with Shadow ball/Focus blast/ Hidden power fire/Hypnosis with a Timid nature and 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe for the EVs.

And you forget an important detail, when Wobbuffet leaves the field the trap is finish.. Therefore it's very hard to set your strategy, you must be very luck if you want to win.

But your team is very original and i hope you manage to improve her ! Good luck.

Shadow tag only traps pokemon for as long as wobbuffet is physically present on the field.

Oh, and trying to smashpass to a pokemon that needs to stay on the field multiple turns to be effective? Not a great plan.
Shadow Tag traps the opponent regardless of whether the user gets switched out or not.

And Regigigas gets 80 bast Atk even with Slow Start. I threw him in just because I wanted a naturally crappy Pokemon to own. If I were to make this team as competitively as possible, I would have chosen Hax or Genesect as my premiere sweeper.

Hello, i like the idea to use Regigigas ! But there are some problems.. First you have two poison weaknesses, two bug weaknesses and two flying weaknesses. Therefore Crobat is very dangerous for your team. A hazer or a phazer should break your strategy easily..
And what happens if your adversary wake up before you put the two shell smash on Regigigas ? And the last problem is Golurk, he is immune to all Regigigas' attacks.

But if your strategy work you win ! To kill Golurk, i think you must replace thunder punch by stone edge. If you replace Tangrowth by Gengar you loose one of your bug, flying and poison weaknesses. Why Gengar ? Because he can use hypnosis so he can keep Tangrowth's job. Besides Gengar have a larger movepool than Tangrowth. I advices you to use him with Shadow ball/Focus blast/ Hidden power fire/Hypnosis with a Timid nature and 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe for the EVs.

And you forget an important detail, when Wobbuffet leaves the field the trap is finish.. Therefore it's very hard to set your strategy, you must be very luck if you want to win.

But your team is very original and i hope you manage to improve her ! Good luck.
Ohh crap! Totally forgot about Golurk. I'll try Stone Edge. I was considering Gengar at first, but the 60% accuracy of hypnosis bugged me a bit. But I guess it's worth a shot.

I was actually wondering that myself. Apparently, every guide said that the opponent's Pokemon will be trapped even if Wobbuffet switches out. That's the whole reason I designed this team in the first place.

And thanks, I think I may be changing some things around though.

It's really nice to see Regigigas getting some love, but I can point out a few flaws in this team.
You are relying waaaay too much on Gorebyss and Huntail to get up your Regigigas, and that could be a big problem. Taunt is the bane of your existence.
Other trappers can keep your Wobbuffet in too, you know? And Gothitelle can switch out if ever.
Genesect easily kills with a simple U-turn.
Please, Please put HP investments on Wobbuffet. It has 58 base defense...

I'll continue this tommorow maybe...
Ohh crap, I swore I invested in HP. Dunno what happened there, but yeah, I'll fix that xD

-Wobbuffet: As you yourself mentioned, Taunt would make it useless. Plus, a Pokemon would be easily able to set up 3 layers of Toxic/Spikes easily in front of you.
-Breloom is fine, but I really wouldn't count on Tangrowth too much.
-You're relying too much on Huntail and Gorebyss. My very on Vaporeon would love to Roar them out or on the Pokemon you'll switch in. So will the usual Physical Wall Skarmory with its Whirlwind). This is the reason why Ninjask teams don't work either.

Too be blunt, I don't like this concept so much because I used a similar team before. And sometimes ExtremeSpeed or faster Pokemon would make it pretty useless. Though I like Regigigas inclusion, and if everything works according to your plan, gg.
It's fine, trust me. This is why I posted in RMT to begin with :P I wasn't exactly sure if this would work out; I was quite skeptical and picked up quite a bit of these weaknesses. I had tested Baton Pass so much, but I think the metagame is simply blazing past it to be any good. This team lacks type coverage, reliability, and it still can't manage to get past all the silly tricks opponents pull like Taunt, etc. I'm reworking this team into another idea I had in mind. This still goes along with my strategy, but I'm going to be fixing some things up, like the emphasis on trapping and sleeping. Huntail, Gorebyss, and maybe Regigigas will have to leave. Also, Tangrowth will have to leave as well. I've got work to do on this team, but I thank you and everyone else for the input. I will be back with my revised version, and I'm sorta sure that this version will work :)

This is a brilliant idea, and I love the fact that there is someone else out there who still has creativity in mind among this dreadful era for the metagame.
I'll first start with having two SmashPassers - the problem with it is that SmashPassers really can't do anything but their primary role alot of the time, leaving it half-deadweight after it has been used to set up. With the copious amounts of anti-sweeper material in OU, (Mamoswine and co) it is difficult to stay on top. This means if your sweeper dies, you are left with two deadweight Pokemon which also happen to be the same-type. Unfortunately, there is no way around this, but I would suggest Sash Smeargle over Huntail, as Huntail has bad type confliction and really is quite open to attacks.

Overall, your team has only two attackers, both being physical, and then you have two Pokes being pure utility and two walls/tanks for want of a better word. Having only two attackers is going to cause you problems and probably already has.

This is my conclusion.
There is a strategy I used to use when I played NU and it consisted of Yamask and Slaking. Yamask's Mummy ability activates when it is hit by a physical attack, giving the opponent that ability. Get Slaking to hit the infected Pokemon and its now rid of Truant. This would also work for Regigigas and I suggest looking into it, because this will be extremely hard to function in OU.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Now, I've all but given up Pokemon and rarely play BW2. Although I can no longer fix up teams like I used to, I still feel I can point out a few generic mistakes and push this team in the right direction.

First and foremost, Regigigas possesses very respectable bulk, and doesn't really need dual screen support itself. What does need dual screen support is your SmashPasser, because atm you're relying WAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too much on that. If your opponent has a way to deal with Gorebyss, they have a way to deal with Huntail, and you wont get to pass your buffs onto Regigigas in either case. Iron Defense and Amnesia are gimmicks at best, since the turn you use those moves is the turn you get Roared out, Taunted, or Tricked. Please run Substitute on whoever you keep so your strategy doesn't get instagibbed by something lame like Tornadus Incarnate. For better teamslot efficency, swap out one of these Smashpassers for a dual screener, I'll suggest Deoxys-D since he was the most effective user during BW1 and appears to be even more effective now from my limited BW2 experiences. Which Smashpasser you keep is entirely your own preference, so just play around a bit. Actually on second thought I'll suggest an alternative, more gimmicky dual screener just to fit with the theme of this team; give Bronzong a shot as your Dual Screener, since it provides you with a valuable check to powerful physical attackers such as Garchomp and Landorus, who currently run you over, while also ensuring Tornadus-T's Hurricane isn't a point and kill button against you.

I suggest giving SD Techniloom a try, as Regigigas currently makes up almost your entire offense, Techniloom gives you a get out of jail card vs Terrakion, who takes a dump all over Regigigas. You retain Spore, and trade status immunity for a potent sweeper in it's own right. Tangrowth just seems really out of place IMO, as many of it's niches are already being fulfilled by Breloom regardless of which set you settle with. Your current set isn't even running Power Whip, and as such, can't properly check Terrakion. I feel you'd be much better off replacing it with a Pokemon who can take on a few prominent threats. I feel that Genesect, Jirachi, and Volcarona in particular should be feared. Your team currently lacks a Stealth Rock user anyway, so I think you'll find Heatran to be a valuable addition. Again, just play around with the sets, Air Balloon gives you a last resort against DD Dragons and Garchomp, whereas Specially Defensive alleviates issues against the Latii twins. All in all, your team is kind of weird, but not necessarily in a bad way. With a few tweaks, you should be able to turn this team from gimmick to something that's actually quite effective in the meta.

This is a brilliant idea, and I love the fact that there is someone else out there who still has creativity in mind among this dreadful era for the metagame.
I'll first start with having two SmashPassers - the problem with it is that SmashPassers really can't do anything but their primary role alot of the time, leaving it half-deadweight after it has been used to set up. With the copious amounts of anti-sweeper material in OU, (Mamoswine and co) it is difficult to stay on top. This means if your sweeper dies, you are left with two deadweight Pokemon which also happen to be the same-type. Unfortunately, there is no way around this, but I would suggest Sash Smeargle over Huntail, as Huntail has bad type confliction and really is quite open to attacks.

Overall, your team has only two attackers, both being physical, and then you have two Pokes being pure utility and two walls/tanks for want of a better word. Having only two attackers is going to cause you problems and probably already has.

This is my conclusion.
There is a strategy I used to use when I played NU and it consisted of Yamask and Slaking. Yamask's Mummy ability activates when it is hit by a physical attack, giving the opponent that ability. Get Slaking to hit the infected Pokemon and its now rid of Truant. This would also work for Regigigas and I suggest looking into it, because this will be extremely hard to function in OU.
That's a great idea! But the difficult thing about it is that how would I guarantee that the opponent wouldn't just switch out when I pull out the Regigigas or Slaking?

Hey, i like the idea but i see something problematic. For one, you can smashpass into any pokemon and it will be a damn beast (In particular Landorus-T and Genesect) Obviously, regigigas got that bulk but he has a weakness to breloom. Hell, I've seen someone dual smashpass to a feebas and it worked. I think Landorus-T>Regigigas would help recieve the pass safely since we got em intimidates. Also, its hard to get two smashpasses in with 2 pokes. One Smashpass is enough. Since the team (aside from the passers) I really recommend something like a Slowbro to function with Tangrowth. A regenerating core can be the most annoying things in case Landorus-T/Regigigas dies. If you really wanna keep the 2 smashpassers. Dual Screens are key. Swoobat, Espeon, Bronzong, and Cresselia are very good partners over maybe wobbuffet. Wobbuffet should have HP and More Defense/SpD Ev's to keep Genesect from getting an attack boost for U-Turn to kill.

Now, I've all but given up Pokemon and rarely play BW2. Although I can no longer fix up teams like I used to, I still feel I can point out a few generic mistakes and push this team in the right direction.

First and foremost, Regigigas possesses very respectable bulk, and doesn't really need dual screen support itself. What does need dual screen support is your SmashPasser, because atm you're relying WAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too much on that. If your opponent has a way to deal with Gorebyss, they have a way to deal with Huntail, and you wont get to pass your buffs onto Regigigas in either case. Iron Defense and Amnesia are gimmicks at best, since the turn you use those moves is the turn you get Roared out, Taunted, or Tricked. Please run Substitute on whoever you keep so your strategy doesn't get instagibbed by something lame like Tornadus Incarnate. For better teamslot efficency, swap out one of these Smashpassers for a dual screener, I'll suggest Deoxys-D since he was the most effective user during BW1 and appears to be even more effective now from my limited BW2 experiences. Which Smashpasser you keep is entirely your own preference, so just play around a bit. Actually on second thought I'll suggest an alternative, more gimmicky dual screener just to fit with the theme of this team; give Bronzong a shot as your Dual Screener, since it provides you with a valuable check to powerful physical attackers such as Garchomp and Landorus, who currently run you over, while also ensuring Tornadus-T's Hurricane isn't a point and kill button against you.

I suggest giving SD Techniloom a try, as Regigigas currently makes up almost your entire offense, Techniloom gives you a get out of jail card vs Terrakion, who takes a dump all over Regigigas. You retain Spore, and trade status immunity for a potent sweeper in it's own right. Tangrowth just seems really out of place IMO, as many of it's niches are already being fulfilled by Breloom regardless of which set you settle with. Your current set isn't even running Power Whip, and as such, can't properly check Terrakion. I feel you'd be much better off replacing it with a Pokemon who can take on a few prominent threats. I feel that Genesect, Jirachi, and Volcarona in particular should be feared. Your team currently lacks a Stealth Rock user anyway, so I think you'll find Heatran to be a valuable addition. Again, just play around with the sets, Air Balloon gives you a last resort against DD Dragons and Garchomp, whereas Specially Defensive alleviates issues against the Latii twins. All in all, your team is kind of weird, but not necessarily in a bad way. With a few tweaks, you should be able to turn this team from gimmick to something that's actually quite effective in the meta.
I feared a lot of these weaknesses when I posted this team. I was really trying to get SmashPass to work effectively. But it's hard because of all the Taunt and Roar counters these days. My attempt was to prevent that, but it seems as if I can't do so. This team needs a massive rehaul, as it has been pointed out, and I think I have an idea that will help. I'm getting rid of Tangrowth, Huntail, Gorebyss, and Regigigas (I will use him on a more dedicated team).

hmmm not really. It doesnt work like that. If it IS working like that on PO/PS, its a bug.
Smogon's description for Shadow Tag:

Enemy Pokemon cannot switch out. An enemy Pokemon can escape by using Baton Pass, U-turn, or Volt Switch, or by holding the item Shed Shell. Moreover, if two Pokemon with Shadow Tag are facing one another, both Pokemon may switch out. In doubles and triples, Shadow Tag does not affect your partner Pokemon. Shadow Tag has no effect outside of battle.

Smogon's description for Mean Look:

Prevents the opponent from switching out, apart from through the use of Volt Switch, U-turn, and Baton Pass. Does not prevent the effect of Eject Button. This effect ends when either the user or the target faints, or the user switches out. Note that if the user uses Baton Pass, the effect will end; however, if the target uses Baton Pass, the effect remains. If the target is hit with Roar or Whirlwind while Block is in effect, they will be forced out as per normal.

My question is, if you're right, then is Smogon lying? Because I don't see anything in the description for Shadow Tag that says "the effect ends if the user switches out". I'm still doing research; hopefully this can get verified.

You should probably use Ninjask over Huntail... Having two Pokemon that are almost entirely identical is horrible for synergy. Ninjask can pass speed, SD, and possibly even a substitute. I also don't know why you wouldn't use Smeargle. It has Spore, Shell Smash, Shift Gear, Swords Dance, Cotton Guard, Amnesia, Quiver Dance, Ingrain and well... every move in the game to play with for baton passing. But it is really odd that your team revolves around Smashpass+Sleep and you aren't using the one Pokemon that can do both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)