Behold Your Gods

Nordic Gods

Alright so I'll give you the very original team (although none of these members managed to stay on the squad)
|
|
|
|
|

Just terrible. Anyways, somehow the team transformed whether to counter a threat or put more pressure on the opponent. And here was the result.

|
|
|
|
|

But I just wasn't really enjoying Genesect, nearly every team had a counter and I was looking for a way to counter some Dragons and adding EdgeQuake to the team sounded like a good idea so the team became this.

|
|
|
|
|

And hopefully the team will continue to evolve!

Pokemon Up for Dismissal:
Virizion
Just not cutting it like it used to. Works great at what it does, just doesn't feel like my team still needs it.
Gengar
Could offer more to the team. Doesn't solidly counter any serious threats. Relies on gimmicks, though admittedly they work very well.
Heatran
Can't take Outrages like I need to, but counters Genesect hard.

Pokemon Up for Recruitment:
Slowking
Paralysis Support which is greatly appreciated and eases the load off of Latias, potentially even entirely. Resists Fire, Water and Ice like I need. Regenerator is incredible as is Scald. However, it adds to Dark weakness though still a big contender.
Slowbro
A Physically bulkier version of Slowking, while doesn't maintain the same ability to eat rain boosted attacks offers a very solid to Pokemon like Conkeldurr and Terrakion.
Celebi
Another great Pokemon for spreading Paralysis as well as a Cleric position that I am considering. However, Celebi still has the Dark weakness my team has.
Quagsire
Stops set-up Sweepers dead. Although, it's not that bulky and doesn't offer Water or Ice resistence.
Gastrodon
Incredible Bulky Water. Immunity to Water is greatly appreciated on any team. Access to Recover, Scald, Toxic, Earth Power and Ice Beam all assist my team. Definitely a huge contender for a space.
Skarmory
The classic Physical Wall. This team definitely would appreciate a dedicated position to soak up Outrage. Instant recovery is its edge.
Ferrothorn
Again, team would appreciate a designated Outrage eater. It's edge being power, Leech Seed, better typing, rain counter, and better mixed bulk.
Forretress
Eating Outrages. Advantages being Rapid Spin, Volt Turn, and Pain Split.
Jirachi
Eats Outrages. Spreads Paralysis. Wish Support. Hax with this thing allows for some unlikely wins.
Mew
Nasty Plot set is often a surprise. Customized movesets tailored to assist the team perfectly. KOs Conkeldurr. Decently bulky. Great contender to return to the team. However, would add to the Dark weakness.
Azelf
Trades some of the longevity Mew offers for speed and power, netting much more KOs than Mew. Levitate is always nice to have on the team somewhere, however pulling off a Nasty Plot with Azelf is often difficult.
Genesect
This Pokemon is just too good not to consider. Now that I've filled the Dragon revenge-killer role, I'd be free to employ its arguably most dangerous set, Rock Polish. It also works well complimentary to Dragonite, though Dragonite's role is also easily taken by Genesect.

The team is a balanced Bulky Offense, or at least that's the aim of the team. Shrug off damage while putting dents in the opponents team and use Paralysis to get free moves. Each Pokemon has a role. Briefly explained, Virizion is a pivot, sponge and counter to rain. Gengar is an answer to walls and mono-attacking/Choice slower Pokemon. Mamoswine hits hard and revenges Dragons while adding coverage to the team. Latias spreads Paralysis, pivots, sponges and kills frailer Pokemon. Dragonite is my finisher. Heatran is another pivot-esque Pokemon and sets up Stealth Rocks. I'll give much more detail in the next section. As I'm sure you've noticed, my team counters Special threats easier than Physical threats. I've often debated swapping Heatran or Virizion for a sturdier Steel in that aspect, but other than that it has proven itself to be a fairly balanced team and is at an approximately .666 win percentage with my piloting.

The Team:

Bragi (Virizion) @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 212 HP / 44 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Bragi, the God of poetry and eloquence.
First off, those are some funky EVs. I know. The SAtk EVs guarantee 2HKO's against Gliscor, Landorus, and Ferrothorn not including Stealth Rock damage. And the rest being placed into bulk. Why would I do such a thing you ask? Well, sometimes I miss the ability to hit harder with Bragi, but it better serves the team as a sponge. It's main use is to piss off rain teams. Good old Giga Drain and its recent buff allow this thing to stay alive a considerable time against rain teams. Taunt because Virizion is fast, it's annoying as hell, and plenty of Pokemon think it's funny to set up on poor old Virizion. Hidden Power [Ice] and Focus Blast are coverage moves (and STAB for Focus Blast). In the early stages of the team, Virizion was one of the MVPs nearly every game and often still is against many rain teams. However, as of late he has began to wear my patience thin. He may be looking at a replacement soon, either from a Bulky Water or Physical Wall.
As I said, I am looking to replace him potentially. Immediately coming to mind is Slowking for Paralysis support, better pivot abilities, and countering both Terrakion and rain hard, that does leave me a huge weakness to Dark typing but it isn't an entirely too common but Pursuit is a dangerous game. Another replacement could be Forretress/Ferrothron/Skarmory/Jirachi (who also spreads Paralysis!) to save me from Physical Attacks (Outrage) and set up Spikes or replace Stealth Rock's moveslot on Heatran. As for Virizion, I am always considering returning the EVs to 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd. But so far I prefer it this way.

Loki (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Disable
- Substitute
Loki, the trickster of the Gods.
Gengar certainly lives up to his role of trickster for this team. (Oh I'm so punny!) SubDisable set with Trick in place of Focus Blast/Pain Split. While it would be nice to have some coverage on the set, this thing does just fine. This thing is a nightmare for mono-attacking/Choice Pokemon. Substitute + Disable is absolutely incredible in practice. It wrecks beginning players, and allows for serious mind games with more experienced players (which normally ends in my favor considering the variety and danger Gengar brings). Trick ruins walls that depend on their items such as Leftovers and Eviolite. It also is very viable on the switch to ruin a sweeper coming in to set up or start and often ends up giving Gengar a Choice item to again ruin a Wall. Gengar is sort of a glue Pokemon, patching up holes I couldn't seem to cover without and often is the MVP of the game. Shadow Ball also does incredible damage to most everything with Gengar's monstrous Special Attack stat. And will consistently net some 2HKO's with a Substitute up.
For the individual Gengar set, I wouldn't consider changing anything outside of maybe Shadow Ball's moveslot. Maybe for Sludge Wave to increase power and maintain STAB but I lose considerable coverage. However, while Gengar is an incredible Pokemon sometimes I consider swapping him out for a more reliable Conkeldurr counter as my team desperately needs one. Again, Slowking comes to mind here while also a Nasty Plot Mew/Azelf. Why Nasty Plot Mew/Azelf? Both maintain an element of Offense that Slowking certainly does not and it will outspeed and KO Conkeldurr being able to take a boosted Mach Punch easily. Mew would be tested before Azelf as the decent bulk and normal expectancy of a support set would allow me to pull of a Nasty Plot easier and more frequently and Synchronize is an annoying ability and my favorite moveset of Psychic, Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Giga Drain (exclusive to Mew of the two options) is incredible and very unexpected.

Forseti (Mamoswine) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Stone Edge
Forseti, the God of Justice.
Oh Dragons, how I love to watch you fall at the hands of this bad boy. Let's take a look at the Damage Calc of a Bulky Dragonite.
252Atk Choice Band Mamoswine (+Atk) Ice Shard vs 252HP/0Def Multiscale Dragonite (Neutral): 56% - 68% (220 - 264 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
That's with Multiscale intact. Good luck any other Dragon not named Hydreigon and Lati@s. Which, outside of a Choice Scarf, I cannot outspeed and can only manage a 2HKO with Ice Shard (the bulkiest of Latias' are 3HKO'd with a slight chance of a 2HKO factoring Leftovers). I chose to invest into bulk rather than speed because this team's reliance on Paralysis support and this does have decent bulk. Other Pokemon I rely on this thing to hit: Chansey, Blissey and Heatran.
252Atk Choice Band Mamoswine (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252HP/252Def Leftovers Blissey (+Def): 68% - 80% (487 - 574 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252Atk Choice Band Mamoswine (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252HP/252Def Eviolite Chansey (+Def): 50% - 59% (357 - 420 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252Atk Choice Band Mamoswine (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252HP/252Def Leftovers Flash Fire Heatran (+Def): 192% - 227% (744 - 880 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

The ordinary SDef based Heatran can only manage a 2HKO even with a Flash Fire boost, however a sweeper variant will OHKO with Fire Blast. While not perfect, this thing gets the job done. It's also nice to have a Ground typing to give me Electric immunity to soak up Thunders, Thunderbolts and Thunder Waves.
I would consider adding Genesect back as it hits like a truck and the U-Turn momentum is greatly appreciated. The other consideration would be a Scarf set to surprise a good amount of Pokemon while still maintaining the ability to revenge +1 Dragons with Ice Shard. It would also allow for more revenge killing with EdgeQuake along with Icicle Crash becoming a much more useful attack. Another option is a Focus Sash set to net a surprise kill. However, that would require Mamoswine to function solely as a lead and set up Stealth Rocks as well, or the addition of a Spinner to the team.

Eir (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder Wave
Eir, the Goddess of healing.
The absolute pivot point of the team currently. Her spreading of Paralysis to the key players on my opponents team will spell my win condition nearly every time. Whether it be to Walls to take away crucial turns or to hit a Sweeper and cripple its speed. If she goes down too quickly my game is over. The EVs are to maximize bulk while outspeeding +Nature based 108s. I don't care much about the speed tie as she will not be coming in on anything she ties with and if they come in she will most likely have a Sub up or she will not risk losing the tie. The reason for this particular SubParalysis set is because everyone's most common answer to Latias is status. They switch in a wall and go straight for the status. Her speed allows the Sub to go up easy and give me a free turn to spread status or Recover. The stall + eventual Paralysis hax allows me to gain free turns from her to often save me from a deadly Pursuit threat as leaving with the Substitute up ensures my survival. Once the key enemy Pokemon go down she becomes a Sponge for hits and occasionally can dish out some decent hits with her STAB Dragon Pulse which hits most things for at least Neutral and can put serious dents in many Dragon Pokemon, even uninvested.
Currently, I will not replace her. Except for other Paralysis support in maybe Slowking (again) or Jirachi. Though I'd rather place them in a different Pokemon's slot which could in turn free up Thunder Wave's spot on Latias for Calm Mind (to make her a deadly set up sweeper) or Psychic (to hit Conkeldurr hard) but more likely Calm Mind. The only other consideration is to swap Dragon Pulse for Psychic for coverage against Conkeldurr, but that takes away from the general coverage she receives through Dragon Pulse.

Thor (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SDef
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
Thor, the God of Sky, thunder and fertility.
A very unexpected set by most. A Paralyzed enemy wall (lacking Ice Beam) is this thing's best friend. Often thinking they're playing smart to put in even a Paralyzed wall they are giving me a free +6 set up nearly guaranteed. The EVs give maximum bulk (while giving Genesect a +Attack boost) as I don't need Speed or Attack as I'm coming in on a Paralyzed Wall and hitting as high a +1-6 I can go. I can't begin to describe how many times this has brought me back from 1-4 deficits. It will tear through weakened teams easily. Multiscale is a ridiculous ability and the addition of not being able to be taken down by status makes this Dragonite nearly impossible to kill. This is the reason for the rest of this team. My win condition is to get this thing in whenever safe and just start stalling, boosting, and killing.
Maybe another sweeper similar? I really don't know. The team kind of ties together around this set.

Vidar (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
Vidar, the God of Vengeance.
This is my sun counter. Outside of Dugtrio, Heatran can take on most of the sweepers the sun with throw at me. It's also an incredible Genesect counter (as long as it lacks Hidden Power [Ground] or [Water] but who does that). Heatran also is in charge of soaking up Fire, Dragon and Ice hits. While I wish I could drop Protect for more coverage or something along the lines of Torment. Heatran lacks any recovery and that extra Leftovers recovery often makes the difference. EVs are stolen from Smogon. Stealth Rock is crucial on my team as I lack a dedicated Volcarona counter and if I see that dreaded bug I must throw them up and keep them up until that beast goes down. It's also nice to have against those powerful Flying and Fire Pokemon (as well as ensure some KOs, you know, typical Stealth Rock stuff). I am not entirely pleased with Heatran though, and with Genesect gone, I don't find myself in need to soak up as many Fire attacks, however, it is a nice deterrent to opposing Genesect still.
Again, a Bulky Water or Steel could come in here. Just like any of those mentioned before. A Wish Passer on the team would definitely open up the Protect moveslot like I mentioned earlier and another Stealth Rock support Pokemon would open up the Stealth Rock moveslot. The only other option I'd consider for Heatran is if another Stealth Rocker joined the team, I'd switch him to a Substitute set as many teams (mine included) have a problem with it. But he's more likely to be dropped for the aforementioned Pokemon than that.

Chandelure
Most of these things can easily hit all my Pokemon for Super Effective damage. Thankfully they're not that common yet. Once Shadow Tag is released, I'll have to seriously adjust my team. But for now, I just need to pray you're not Scarfed and find a way for you to get hit with my Gengar's Shadow Ball.
Conkeldurr
If your moveset includes Mach Punch/Drain Punch, Ice Punch, and Payback I concede defeat. However, if you include both Mach and Drain Punch. Gengar can come in and SubDisable you. This is a more common threat and I constantly consider adjusting the team to account for it.
Heatran
Sweeper variants of this thing eat my team alive (while Support variants threaten my teams with Burns, please don't hurt my Latias). My best bet is to get it off it's Air Balloon and smack it with an Earthquake. Earth Power often does it's job if I can predict the switch. Substitute sets are particularly hard as both Pokemon with coverage moves will also be wrecked by Fire Blast and Earth Power.
Hydreigon
Hard to revenge kill with Mamoswine and while Heatran can soak up most its attacks, Earth Power hits hard. Good prediction and learning what the item is are key to taking it down.
Mamoswine
This thing tears my team in two. My own Mamoswine being the best bet at taking opposing Mamoswine down and it's slow...
Tornadus-T
While I do not enjoying taking Hurricanes from you, you hate getting hit with Paralysis. If I can Paralyze it, I can kill it.
Volcarona
You threaten my team the most (aside from maybe Conkeldurr). You evil little bug. You're manageable with Stealth Rocks up, but without, I'll need to play like a genius to come up with the win. Although, a Paralyzed Volcarona often makes great Dragonite set-up fodder.

Bragi (Virizion) @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 212 HP / 44 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Loki (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Disable
- Substitute

Forseti (Mamoswine) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Stone Edge

Eir (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder Wave

Thor (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 60 SDef / 132 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Vidar (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Hey there. First, props for using some not often used sets on your Pokemon. Pretty much all of the sets should catch people in some state of surprise. One thing I see, though, is lack of immediate speed. If the opponent gets a boost off, where is your counter? There is no choice scarf user. While Mamoswine can revenge kill many Pokemon, those that he can't revenge kill, once they get a boost, will basically sweep your team, depending on what Pokemon it is. For this reason, if you want to keep all of your Pokemon intact, I suggest changing Gengar to a scarf set, or one of your other Pokemon to a 100+ speed scarf Pokemon.

Speaking of Mamoswine, it will take out something like 5 of your Pokemon easily, and the only one it will have a bit of difficulty taking out is your own Mamoswine, and then it's just whoever attacks first. So, if you want to kill two problems with one stone, change your team so that you have a scarf user that doubles as a Mamoswine counter. A scarf Jirachi might fit, with Iron Head/Fire Punch/Trick/whatever you want. Who you would replace, I don't know. Those are my only two issues thus far with the team. Nice to see some of the lesser used sets getting some love.

Hey there. First, props for using some not often used sets on your Pokemon. Pretty much all of the sets should catch people in some state of surprise. One thing I see, though, is lack of immediate speed. If the opponent gets a boost off, where is your counter? There is no choice scarf user. While Mamoswine can revenge kill many Pokemon, those that he can't revenge kill, once they get a boost, will basically sweep your team, depending on what Pokemon it is. For this reason, if you want to keep all of your Pokemon intact, I suggest changing Gengar to a scarf set, or one of your other Pokemon to a 100+ speed scarf Pokemon.

Speaking of Mamoswine, it will take out something like 5 of your Pokemon easily, and the only one it will have a bit of difficulty taking out is your own Mamoswine, and then it's just whoever attacks first. So, if you want to kill two problems with one stone, change your team so that you have a scarf user that doubles as a Mamoswine counter. A scarf Jirachi might fit, with Iron Head/Fire Punch/Trick/whatever you want. Who you would replace, I don't know. Those are my only two issues thus far with the team. Nice to see some of the lesser used sets getting some love.
I hardly have had problems with boosting Pokemon outside of Volcarona as I said so that's not a major issue so far. However, the Mamoswine one is a major issue. I had almost completely forgotten that its a major threat to my team. While I was not considering an Offensive Jirachi set, I must admit, it is very useful and powerful set. I'd probably test it over Gengar on this team. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Hey!

Interesting team. I think you could change some Pokemon and sets, but your Thunder Wave + Sub DD Dragonite idea is solid. Virizion and Gengar seem like your weak links, in my opinion. Virizion isn't that great a check to Rain since it doesn't have much access to Recovery (unless Politoed is foolish enough to stay in on Giga Drain, I guess). Gengar seems close to useless for you. The primary reason to use Gengar would be to block Rapid Spin, but you have have no hazards. If Gengar isn't blocking Rapid Spin, it's probably not the best Pokemon for the job.

First suggestion I have for you is trying Defensive Slowbro instead of Virizion. I think I've had Slowbro on every BW Paralysis team I've ever made and for good reason. It's a great physical check to every Pokemon. Conkeldurr? Not a problem anymore. Mamoswine? Not a problem anymore. Slowbro is also a fantastic check to weak special sweepers as well as resisted sweepers (like Heatran). Use Surf / Psychic / Thunder Wave / Slack Off. You can spread around Paralysis to support Dragonite as well as counter a lot different threats.

Next, let's switch up your Gengar slot. My suggestion for that slot is Defensive Xatu. A little unorthodox, but Xatu really fits your team. You need some way to beat Deoxys-D teams, and Xatu pretty much shuts them down. Pokemon like Ferrothorn can't do anything either which means you essentially get a free Paralysis when they are forced to switch. In addition to just countering Hazard users, Xatu supports Dragonite by keeping Stealth Rock off the field for as long as possible. I'd recommend Heat Wave / Thunder Wave / Roost / U-turn or Psychic. Thunder Wave supports the rest of your team which is pretty cool. Between Latias + Xatu + Slowbro, you've got a ton of threats covered.

Finally, a couple touch-ups would help you out a bit. On Latias, I'd really like to see you run Calm Mind, Reflect, or Refresh instead of Substitute in that order. Calm Mind would be my number 1 suggestion because it will give you an extra end game option which is always nice. Reflect would mostly be for countering Tyranitar/Genesect switch-ins and using Thunder Wave. It's an alright option, but I don't think it has the utility Calm Mind would. Refresh is another option, and it would mostly be used to make Latias your designated Status absorber. Try those moves and see what works. Substitute is useless though since you'll get hard countered by Pokemon like Jirachi and Ferrothorn regardless.

For Dragonite, you should run an EV Spread like EVs: 248 HP / 88 SDef / 172 Spd with a Careful nature. Special Defense is Sub DD Dragonite's hall mark, and your team could use a little Specially Defensive insurance. You can drop Speed EVs and put them into Special Defense, but the current Speed allows you to be every non-scarf Pokemon after a DD.

Last, use Toxic instead of Protect on Heatran. I know Toxic may seem counter intuitive since you're playing with Paralysis, but it's really going to serve a niche role for you. You'll have a much easier time breaking down Volcarona which you mentioned is a huge liability. You can also hit Tyranitar and Politoed on the switch, and in my opinion, Toxic is much more useful on those Pokemon. Use Toxic sparingly and at the right times, and I think you'll find it pretty useful.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)